HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[SEL] Samuel Pahlsson signs 3-year deal with Modo

Old
06-17-2012, 09:22 PM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
When Sammy was traded to Vancouver, he seemed rather upset because it meant having to be away from his family. He's the type of player who gets frequently dealt at the trade deadline, and signing with Modo gives him and his family stability. He has a daughter who's about 5 and would be going to school soon.

It's sad to see him leave the NHL, but I think he could play a bigger role with an SEL team.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Unholy
waifu

Good luck to you Sammy!

06-17-2012, 10:06 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
When Sammy was traded to Vancouver, he seemed rather upset because it meant having to be away from his family. He's the type of player who gets frequently dealt at the trade deadline, and signing with Modo gives him and his family stability. He has a daughter who's about 5 and would be going to school soon.

It's sad to see him leave the NHL, but I think he could play a bigger role with an SEL team.
Part of being a hockey player. Suck it up.

Pahlsson must've figured that the looming lockout presented an opportunity to play in europe, whether he wanted to or not. So why not jump the gun and play his last days in Modo? Esp. when fellow Swedes in the NHL will likely be joining him. Cheers.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:19 PM
timw33

Ah too bad.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:54 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Shame it didn't work out for him but good luck to him in Sweden.
What didn't work out for him exactly? 800 games and a decade+ NHL career counts as "working out" in my book.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:09 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Good guy. Hope he has a good year in his home.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Shellz

Cyaa

Last edited by Shellz: 06-18-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post

Yeah, I think this is the key point. These things are family decisions. Pahlsson already won the cup, been in the NHL for ten years and already recieved the biggest contract he would get a few years ago with Columbus. The family already left their 'NA home' (Anaheim), have been moving around quite a lot the last few years and now that their daughter is a little older, I don't think they would move to a new place yet again. I think it was either going to be Vancouver or back Sweden for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
In regards to the two NA player limit, is it two players that were born in NA or is it players of any nationality that played in NA?
Players that has a NA passport.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:50 AM
Henkka

Good to hear. And even better that Red Wings didn't give picks or prospects for him at the deadline.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:05 AM
VanCanucks14

Good luck to him. He filled his role nicely when he was here and did what was asked of him but I wasn't expecting him back.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:22 AM
AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
In regards to the two NA player limit, is it two players that were born in NA or is it players of any nationality that played in NA?
It's actually two non EU-passport players, not specifically NA players.

AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Bad News Bears
MACHADO ABOUT NOTHIN

Peace out, Sammy. Burkie always loved bringing up your name in interviews to prove that not all Swedes are soft.

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:14 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Peace Sammy, good luck in Modo...

Not surprised by this, he didn't seem all that pleased that he was going to Vancouver, I think he knew it was time.. Swedish warrior...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:20 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
I wish he would have stayed in Vancouver, he played a game style-wise which you do not find easily. On the other hand, the SEL team I care about is Modo so it was kind of win-win no matter what for me.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Elvs

Confirmed:

http://modohockey.se/artikel/23854/

Old
06-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Elvs

Quotes from Pahlsson:

Quote:
On his desire to win with Modo:

"You play to win, there's nothing else. It's not easy to win a championship but we're truly gonna push to make it happen"

"If you've won championships you want to do it again. There's nothing better than to stand there as a champion."

On winning the Stanley Cup:

"It's the greatest thing I've experienced. Winning the Stanley Cup is the biggest thing you can do. Of course, winning the Olympic Gold in Turin the year before was great when you are defending your nation's colors. But I'm ranking the Stanley Cup a little higher".

On playing in Vancouver:

"It was a lot of fun to get the opportunity to come to Vancouver. I switched from the league's worst team to the best one. It was also my first time representing a team from Canada, which was also a little special.

"We won the regular season and the expectations were high on us in the playoffs but unfortunately it turned out a big dissappointment. It was tough getting eliminated in the first round against the LA Kings, but in hindsight we can say that it was a good team we were up against. From a hockey standpoint, it was good for me personally to switch from Columbus to Vancouver. But at the same time, it was tough being away from my family for such a long time".

On playing in Modo in his last stint there:

"We got silver both in 1999 and 2000. It was nice getting to the finals, but very tough standing there as losers. I would like to stand there as a winner in the future. Winning the gold with Modo would be fantastic.

On moving back home:

"It was a big step deciding to move back from North America. But we felt ready for it and when the decision is made, you kind of feel relieved. It's going to be very inspiring to pull on the Modo jersey again."

On what he knows about the organization:

"Of course I've followed them over the years, and have talked to a lot of people around and in the organization. It feels like Modo is going towards a very bright future. After a few years of missing the playoffs they now went to the quarter final. It's something we're going to keep building on. It's no secret that Modo have big ambitions and to become a part of that feels exciting."

On what the fans can expect from him:

"I've never been much of a point producer. But I'm aiming to produce some. What I can promise is that I'll always give my best, will play hard all the time and do what the coaches wants me to do. I'm really looking forward to this and as I said before, when you're in sports you want to win."

Old
06-18-2012, 08:08 AM
XO
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
As a Canucks fan that's a shame to hear from a selfish standpoint.

He was awesome for us, good for the cost and worked really hard in the bottom 6. I think he made his linemates play better as well.

Sad to see him go, if true.

Happy for him though because I'm sure playing for Modo is an exciting prospect for him.

EDIT:

Wait a minute, could this simply be an insurance deal with an out clause to give him some security if by chance the NHL has another lockout? If so then this could be fairly meaningless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
Is it possible that he has a drop-dead date whereby he would still have a window to sign a contract with an NHL club? Iirc I've read this to be the case with other players who have agreed to terms in Europe.
No, he's moving home because he wants his children to grow up in Sweden and to be closer to their grandparents etc. He's done with NHL.

As a MODO fan I'm veryyy happy that he finally return. He have so much experience, will easily be the best defensive forward in SEL and should also put up better offensive numbers than what he did in NHL.

Now I'm just waiting for the Sedins to return. I know some have a hard time believing they will leave Vancouver but they've said that they might return as soon as when their current contract expires (2014) or 1-2 seasons top after that. They absolutely love Örnsköldsvik and Daniel said last summer that they wanted to give back for the hockey education they got from MODO.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:14 AM
JabbaJabba

Damn, I was hoping for him to return to Anaheim some day but I guess that's out of the question right now. Good luck!

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Krishna

3 year deal?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:31 AM
stingo

good luck to him, and all the best. great guy. he was very beneficial to the hawks when they went to the wcf a few years back.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

I didn't really want him back in Vancouver to tell you the truth. He played his role well, I think we need to go in a different direction with our #3C. Pahlsson would have made the perfect #4C for us, but we already have LaPierre and Malhotra signed for that role so there is no need to add another luxury ~2.5mil defensive centerman. We need a guy like Stoll who can provide some secondary scoring for our 3rd line. I expect Stoll to be off the market by the time free agency hits, but I'm sure Gillis is exploring different but similar options via trade/free agency.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Badger Mayhew

Who plays #3C for Canucks now?

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:42 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm glad he got three because he wasn't getting that in the NHL. Good for him. Good guy.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Who plays #3C for Canucks now?
Cody Hodgson.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:22 AM