HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Medvedev wants to expand to 64 teams

Old
06-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Peter25

vCash: 500
I guess you did not understand my sarcasm.

Latvia cannot even afford to build hockey rinks and needs help from Russia (KHL) which Latvia semi-officially regards as an enemy. How Latvian hockey has fallen since the Soviet days! In the 1980's Dinamo Riga (with only Latvian players) could beat NHL clubs.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Peter25

In fairness Latvia is not a special case. In Ukraine the decline of hockey has been a lot deeper than in Latvia. And it took ten years before Russian hockey started to rebound after the breakup of the USSR.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:41 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
I guess you did not understand my sarcasm.

Latvia cannot even afford to build hockey rinks and needs help from Russia (KHL) which Latvia semi-officially regards as an enemy. How Latvian hockey has fallen since the Soviet days! In the 1980's Dinamo Riga (with only Latvian players) could beat NHL clubs.
Lol, I'll have some of what you are smoking because nothing you write is true. First of you make it seem like like Latvian inhabitants need hockey arenas like they need food, good schools or public transportation. Poor us, not having arenas where to play hockey, how can we cope with our miserable lifes... Hockey is absolute luxurity ffs. We don't have 50 Formula1 tracks as well, but that doesn't mean that we need them.

And since when do we need Russia to build us anything? We built each of our ~20 arenas without any help from any foreign country. And as far as I know Russia isn't building hockey arenas anywhere but on their own soil, but I guess you have your own sources. And if I may ask, where do you get your info on Latvian-Russian relationships? Latvia is no Iran, that it views one or another country as an enemy. Lat-Rus relationships may not be the warmest, but it as sure as hell is no Latvian fault (actually there's not that many countries which have perfect relationships with Russia in the first place).

Would love to see your arguments why do you think our hockey has fallen somewhere. We're still an elite hockey nation, we have 20 times more ice rinks we had in Soviet days, if someone bothered to register hockey players in 1989 we would see that amount of players nowadays is much higher, and after all we still have a team in Russian elite league. If anything our hockey is as good shape as it's ever been.

If mods feel we've crossed the line, please, don't hesitate and delete our mumblings, but I felt I needed to respond to these deluded statements.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:07 PM
supermasif

About HC Lev... does anyone in the Czech Republic think the club will get any support? Prague already has Slavia and Sparta, two teams with long traditions.

supermasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:04 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Toronto FC in 2007, Vancouver Whitecaps in 2011, Montreal Impact in 2012?
Canada didn't have a relevant soccer league before MLS. Toronto was an entirely new team, Vancouver and Montreal were already playing in other American-based leagues.

That's why I made the comparison of MLS expanding to Canada like KHL expanding to Latvia or Ukraine. That's understandable. But KHL expanding to Sweden or Switzerland would be like MLS expanding to Mexico or Brazil. Makes zero sense and would never happen, even if it resulted in a "western hemisphere league" which had a better product and better competed with the European leagues.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
But KHL expanding to Sweden or Switzerland would be like MLS expanding to Mexico or Brazil.
Not to sidetrack the discussion, but a more appropriate analogy to the MLS expanding into Mexico and Brazil would be the NLA expanding into the Finland and Russia.

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:20 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermasif View Post
About HC Lev... does anyone in the Czech Republic think the club will get any support? Prague already has Slavia and Sparta, two teams with long traditions.
They wont have support from the beginning, but if they do well and the hockey will be good, support will appear and grow. This "tradition" thing is very overrated by some people IMO. You can buy peoples attention with a good product and you dont need tradition to do that. Btw. many NHL franchises are exactly the same case.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
They wont have support from the beginning, but if they do well and the hockey will be good, support will appear and grow. This "tradition" thing is very overrated by some people IMO. You can buy peoples attention with a good product and you dont need tradition to do that. Btw. many NHL franchises are exactly the same case.
agreed.

its like if toronto got an NFL team, people wouldn't ignore it and prefer the Canadian League team due to tradition

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:26 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermasif View Post
Slavia has very low attendance, 3-4 thousand. It's the non-sense to play in O2 arena for them. HC Lev is making the team for everybody in Prague. You know, many Slovakians, Russians and the others are here. We'll see.

Last edited by Jeez: 06-19-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:41 AM
MaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
Now let's talk about mind set. I'll never understand this mind set that some of our neighbors have of being content to be the faceless worker in the NHL's meat processing plant. With the current situation the NHL will ALWAYS prevent you guys from participating in a meaningful European Unified tournament with your top players. You will be sending a shell of a team to a joke of a tournament. If you believe in your nation's hockey heritage then put it on the line. Take a chance and try to be something other then the NHL's surrogate mother.
Most people aren't interested in that. They rather watch hockey locally. If one or two teams leaves the national league, it will make the league they watch worse. That's all there is to it really.

MaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaV View Post
Most people aren't interested in that. They rather watch hockey locally. If one or two teams leaves the national league, it will make the league they watch worse. That's all there is to it really.
From a Finnish perspective, if e.g. Jokerit, TPS, HIFK, Kärpät and Tappara were to leave SM-liiga for KHL, it would diminish public interest in the SM-liiga drastically. The tv deal's value would plummet, sponsors would cut down their support or end it all together. That amounts to club's budget's decreasing so that they can't afford any star players' salaries and would have to stock up with no-names or own juniors. Fewer money also means fewer money for junior teams, more age groups would have to pay for their equipment etc. instead of the club paying. That eliminates a lot of the below middle class kids from the sport altogether, fewer registered players and a much smaller talent pool. Thankfully this scenario is not realistic due to no concrete interest from the said clubs in joining KHL ("financially impossible" they say).

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:01 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
From a Finnish perspective, if e.g. Jokerit, TPS, HIFK, Kärpät and Tappara were to leave SM-liiga for KHL, it would diminish public interest in the SM-liiga drastically. The tv deal's value would plummet, sponsors would cut down their support or end it all together. That amounts to club's budget's decreasing so that they can't afford any star players' salaries and would have to stock up with no-names or own juniors. Fewer money also means fewer money for junior teams, more age groups would have to pay for their equipment etc. instead of the club paying. That eliminates a lot of the below middle class kids from the sport altogether, fewer registered players and a much smaller talent pool. Thankfully this scenario is not realistic due to no concrete interest from the said clubs in joining KHL ("financially impossible" they say).
your scenario. No reason to happen

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:08 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
your scenario. No reason to happen
Vorky always delivers. It's not his scenario, it's everyone's common sense scanario.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Vorky always delivers. It's not his scenario, it's everyone's common sense scanario.
I also like to think I know more about the Finnish sports scene, mentality and society in general than vorky.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:53 PM
VladNYC

I'd say the majority of us here that post in this section of the forum a very knowledgeable people. That said, we can't all be right. Personally I am excited for the new season and am anxiously waiting to see what kind of product our 3 new teams put on the ice and what kind of following they get at home. Exciting times in store for us for sure.

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:29 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Wouldn't work in Sweden nor Finland. The only places to where those clubs could be set up (arena) are Helsinki and Stockholm. Helsinki already has Jokerit and HIFK while Stockholm is not a hockey city in general (and they have Djurgården and AIK), a "plastic" club is not going to just set off. There's no domestic money in either country and with Russian money there's a great chance they'll just suddenly pull off the backing.
The main reason is money ?

You know, look at Lev last location in Poprad (60K city). There is no next arena and location, like this?

Last edited by Jeez: 06-20-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
The main reason is money ?

You know, look at Lev last location in Poprad (60K city). There is no next arena and location, like this?
If you mean if there's a vacant arena, then no.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
If you mean if there's a vacant arena, then no.
I'm looking for reason about what you said. And the only no money is common sense idea for me. Do you like the idea to have KHL club in your country? Do you mean somebody in SWE,Finn can like it? I'm not even sure in basic question about KHL for Swe,Finn.

Last edited by Jeez: 06-20-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old
06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
I'm looking for reason about what you said. And the only no money is common sense idea for me. Do you like the idea to have KHL club in your country? Do you mean somebody in SWE,Finn can like it? I'm not even sure in basic question about KHL for Swe,Finn.
No, I'm not very fond of it, I don't think it'd succeed because of the "plastic" nature of it. Helsinki sports fan already have their teams in Jokerit and HIFK, no room for one more.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:04 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
No, I'm not very fond of it, I don't think it'd succeed because of the "plastic" nature of it. Helsinki sports fan already have their teams in Jokerit and HIFK, no room for one more.
I dont like such attitude.. look at Prague, Slavia and Sparta and no problem with HC LEV. I can imagine the same situation in other cities. Rivarly is overrated

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
I dont like such attitude.. look at Prague, Slavia and Sparta and no problem with HC LEV. I can imagine the same situation in other cities. Rivarly is overrated
LEV hasnt played a single match, how are you judging fan support for this club? And why do you care so much other people dont like this stupid idea?

Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:42 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Not to sidetrack the discussion, but a more appropriate analogy to the MLS expanding into Mexico and Brazil would be the NLA expanding into the Finland and Russia.
Not really. NLA isn't a closed franchise-based league that only cares about profits.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
I could give a rats ass if you like it or not but that's how we roll in Finland. Helsinki is smaller and the fans are much more loyal to their teams. The Helsinki area is barely capable of supporting Jokerit, HIFK and Espoo Blues, there's no room for another team. SM-liiga also announced a new 5 year tv deal with Nelonen, they sure would renegotiate that if SM-liiga clubs left to KHL, leading to the problems I mentioned earlier.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:56 AM
yunost

Quote:
I could give a rats ass if you like it or not but that's how we roll in Finland. Helsinki is smaller and the fans are much more loyal to their teams. The Helsinki area is barely capable of supporting Jokerit, HIFK and Espoo Blues, there's no room for another team. SM-liiga also announced a new 5 year tv deal with Nelonen, they sure would renegotiate that if SM-liiga clubs left to KHL, leading to the problems I mentioned earlier.
The way you people roll in Finland is to send your best players off to the KHL.

And I don't know how loyal the fans are, but the players couldn't give a rats ass about the rivalries, clearly.

Sorry to be so blunt about it.

Last edited by yunost: 06-21-2012 at 02:03 AM.
yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
The way you people roll in Finland is to send your best players off to the KHL.

And I don't know how loyal the fans are, but the players couldn't give a rats ass about the rivalries, clearly.

Sorry to be so blunt about it.
We're more about the teams than players and we also fully know that the best players want to play in the best leagues. So we're not crying about it.