HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-SoCal Kings Fans

Old
06-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
Grew up an Islander fan during the glory years. However once the late 80's hit it was a dark time (the first of many for the Isles) making it painful to watch the team on daily basis. Then Gretzky got traded to the Kings and they picked up Hrudey one of my favorite Isles in net so the Kings team piqued my interest.

At that point I started watching the Kings games (infrequently cause this was before NHL center ice) but did adopt them as my Western Conf team. Of course 1993 was a doubly painful year as the Turgeon hit by Hunter and McSorley's stick knocked my two favorite teams out of possibly winning the Cup.

Been a fan ever since.
I was just trying to remember the other day who Dale Hunter took out...

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Laie

Living in Utah right now. Grew up in Ventura area and started has Chicago fan during their playoff run when they lost to Pittsburg. Realized LA had a team and never looked back. Lived in Hawaii for 6 years and now Utah and will always follow the Kings.

Great thing about this cup run is watching it with my 12 year old son. Up until this run he has always been a very casual fan (my dad likes hockey) but after this run he is hooked and is a Kings fan for life. We now have two hardcore fans in the family.

Forever a HFboards lurker.

Laie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I remember watching that game. Probably the dirtiest thing I have ever seen in a game. I have seen highlights of Marty McSorley and Donald Brasher's hits, but I wasn't watching those games as it happened.

Does anyone remember what happened after? Did it spark a huge brawl or was it simply the trainer coming out and tending to Turgeon and that was that? I assume someone went after Hunter at some point that game.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
I think it was Palffy.

edit: yep, Turgeon sounds right.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:37 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
That was the end of Turgeon and any chance that Isles team had for competing. He was never the same player after that. The next year was that awful sweep by the Rags before the bought, I mean won their only Cup in eons.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Prince

I grew up in LA. I remember going to my first game when I was in grade school. I have loved the Kings from that first game. I played street hockey and listened to Bob and Nick on the radio. Yes Bob used to do the radio and would simulcast the rare occasions the Kings would be TV. Even recorded a few games off the radio on to my cassette recorder and would listen to Bob make the “he shoots …. he Scores!!!!!!” call over and over again until my parents would tell me to turn it off. Joined the Marine Corps and followed the Kings wherever the Corps took me. Along the way converted a lot of people to Hockey fans. Thank goodness for Center Ice as they have allowed me to follow my LA Kings all over the country.

Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
MsWoof

I live in Toronto (born and raised here) and have been a Flyer fan since 74. When they traded Richards I figured I'd have 2 teams to watch, then Gags signed, then they got Carter and that was it. Now I have an east and a west team. It's kind of funny, when I switched from the Leafs (boooo!) and became a Flyer fan the Flyers won the cup 2 years in a row. Maybe history will repeat itself???

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Born and raised in southern California (Irvine). Fan since Luc and Jimmy Carson were rookies. Moved to Texas in 2005 for work and a house. Try and get to all of the games in Dallas and the kings are the only thing that I miss from California. My wife's family still lives in Dana point so we at least have a place to stay when we visit.

Zad was kind enough to take me to the Calgary game in February, but I wasn't able to get out for any playoff games.

No way was I going to miss the celebration after they won the Cup. Memories that I will never forget.

Would love to be at the first home game for the banner ceremony, but we will be in Chicago for the marathon on October 7th. Maybe there will be a lockout and the season will start later and I can go.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:11 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Was born in a suburb of Chicago, and my dad used to have season tickets to the Blackhawks with some of his friends. When they couldn't go he would take me once I was old enough, and he happened to take me to a Kings game in 87-88 when I was 8 years old. Purple was my favorite color and always has been, and at that game Robitaille (looked it up and it turns out it was Jimmy Carson... Oh well) scored a hat trick.

My dad told me all about Luc getting drafted so late and the way he told just clicked and I was hooked! He was my favorite player and I was a Kings fan from then on despite the fact they ditched the purple and gold a year later when Gretzky arrived. Having the then best player in the league on their team just made me an even bigger fan and I've stuck with them ever since... Moved to Minnesota years later with my parents and have been here ever since.

Games 3 and 4 were actually the first games I'd ever been to where the Kings are the home team as I always used to catch them when they came to Minny, or Chicago, or somewhere else close.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:39 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I live in Toronto (born and raised here) and have been a Flyer fan since 74. When they traded Richards I figured I'd have 2 teams to watch, then Gags signed, then they got Carter and that was it. Now I have an east and a west team. It's kind of funny, when I switched from the Leafs (boooo!) and became a Flyer fan the Flyers won the cup 2 years in a row. Maybe history will repeat itself???
Maybe just next year, not the whole 35 year cup drought that comes after

I'm from around Philly currently living in South Jersey. I followed Richards over last year and stayed for the awesome defense and goaltending. I've loved goalies since I was little but I never had a goalie on my team like Quick as I was too young when the original Hextall was around in Philly. Quick is amazing and I love watching him every game and also the great defense around him.

I guess I'm one of those weird hockey fans who loves defense over scoring goals and so the Kings really connect with me.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:16 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Maybe just next year, not the whole 35 year cup drought that comes after

I'm from around Philly currently living in South Jersey. I followed Richards over last year and stayed for the awesome defense and goaltending. I've loved goalies since I was little but I never had a goalie on my team like Quick as I was too young when the original Hextall was around in Philly. Quick is amazing and I love watching him every game and also the great defense around him.

I guess I'm one of those weird hockey fans who loves defense over scoring goals and so the Kings really connect with me.
I'm the same way, it's easy to love fancy goals but there is so much skill involved in stopping the puck or stifling offense. And being a Flyer fan, this whole "goalie that can stop a puck" thing is something I hadn't experienced in years!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:33 AM
KoopsKings

I'm born and raised about 20 minutes outside of Hamilton, On. My uncle moved to LA in the 80's, i was born in 86'. He started sending me kings clothing in 1990 for Christmas because he knew I liked hockey. Gretz was my favourite player, and I had all the kings clothes. Haven't veered since, leafs are my most hated team ever since 93'. Since then I've been to LA to watch 4 games, I flew out to Vancouver for a playoff game 2 years ago. I drove down to jersey for game 5 this year and year in year out I have to watch them in the other teams barns I.e. Detroit, buffalo, Toronto. The last couple months have been a surreal ride.

KoopsKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:37 PM
jimmy1100

My family moved to Torrance, CA when I was 1. Grew up in Torrance and became a Kings fan there in 89 when I was 7. Still remember watching Gretzky break the record, Prime Ticket, the Great Western Forum and staying up late to watch Krushelnyski float a fluttering puck from the ground over Mike Vernon's outstretched glove.

Moved to Montana when I was 11, but always loved the Kings. Was able to get much more into it after moving to Seattle and living on my own and being able to get Center Ice/Gamecenter Live. I've probably missed less than 25 games since DL took over as GM.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote