Old
06-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Curt Fraser named Assistant Coach

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=634912

Quote:
Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced today that the club has named Curt Fraser as its assistant coach.

Fraser, 54, has spent the last four seasons as head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins, the AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings. While in Grand Rapids, he compiled a 146-130-40 record and is that franchise’s career coaching leader in regular season wins (146) and games behind the bench (316).

“We feel that that the depth of Curt’s experience in the game speaks for itself, including a four-year run as an NHL head coach,” said Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk. “That experience will be an invaluable asset to our organization, and his dynamic personality will be a great complement to Glen Gulutzan, Paul Jerrard and the rest of our team.”

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:24 PM
BigG44

Stars hire Curt Fraser as the new assistant coach.

Figured it wasn't enough for it's own thread. He was the first coach for the expansion Atlanta Thrashers, and he's coached Detroit's AHL team Grand Rapids for four years most recently.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Stars hire Curt Fraser as the new assistant coach.

Figured it wasn't enough for it's own thread. He was the first coach for the expansion Atlanta Thrashers, and he's coached Detroit's AHL team Grand Rapids for four years most recently.
Moved your post over here.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:26 PM
BigG44

I guess it was important enough for it's own thread.

Sorry Lobo ... you must have been posting yours as I was jumping in to the off season thread.

It's not a sexy name that people have been throwing around, but you get the experience you said you wanted. Plus he had a decent playing career as well (retired a North Star).

Hey Lobo ... a former player from the organization every coach for it before?

Old
06-18-2012, 12:30 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Dahlen, Barnes?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Without looking it up anything, Stu Barnes and Ulf Dahlen come to mind.

I like it. Getting any coach from the Red Wings system makes me happy.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:33 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Dahlen, Barnes?
Totally slipped my mind.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Bennrocks

Meh they were bottom 1/3rd in PP% but he is in the wings system i guess?

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:09 PM
BeaverSports

I want to say Curt Fraser wore the 'C' for the North Stars on an interim basis while he was there. Nice link to the past.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
I want to say Curt Fraser wore the 'C' for the North Stars on an interim basis while he was there.
You'd be correct.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:36 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

So he won't help the PP much then?

Not bad. Not my favorite choice, but could've been much worse.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'm not entirely sold on this move. The Griffins have had about as much playoff success under his tenure as we have had in the past 4 years.

I would definitely have to say... is this a sign of things to come?

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:47 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Well all our coaches are from Manitoba now. Maybe that will fix the PP.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:45 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Hmm. Usually I enjoy anything from the Red Wings organization (I badly wanted Paul MacLean last year for our head coach search), but I know nothing about this guy. I'm ambivalent, but keeping expectations low.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I'm not entirely sold on this move. The Griffins have had about as much playoff success under his tenure as we have had in the past 4 years.

I would definitely have to say... is this a sign of things to come?
yeah but who has playoff success in the AHL is pretty much who has the most veteran, ringer laden team. I don't take much out of his AHL record except for the fact that he was in the Detroit organization which makes him a quality candidate in my book.

As for the PP, the Stars can do alot to help themselves out by finding some way not to have guys like Steve Ott, Brendan Morrow, and Stephane Robidas out there all the time.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:53 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

From Heika's article:

Quote:
“I guess if I had to say I was known for one part of the game over another, it would be offense,’’ Fraser said. “I think working closely with Mike Babcock and with all of the coaches in Detroit, it’s something they emphasize. Puck possession, special teams, ways to create scoring.’’

The Griffins struggled a bit this season, as they had to provide a lot of depth for the injured Red Wings. They finished 33-32-11 and allowed the second most goals in the league at 249. However, they also scored the second most goals in the league at 245. That means Fraser has some knowledge that could help head coach Glen Gulutzan and assistant coach Paul Jerrard.
Looks like Joe might have gone out looking for an Assistant coach with a good offensive track record.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
As for the PP, the Stars can do alot to help themselves out by finding some way not to have guys like Steve Ott, Brendan Morrow, and Stephane Robidas out there all the time.
I blame the coaches for not playing Benn more on the PP but at some point the failures out there rest more with the players than the alignment. I can have the greatest philosophy in the world but it means jack if the guy I've got touting it sucks at communication. None of those three players belonged on the PP yet they got huge minutes. I hope the new guy puts his foot down about personnel but beyond that a system built around what we have and are good at would probably do wonders or at least drag us out of the cellar.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:02 PM
________

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Without looking it up anything, Stu Barnes and Ulf Dahlen come to mind.

I like it. Getting any coach from the Red Wings system makes me happy.
Paul Jerrard as well. I'm pretty sure Jerrard and Fraser played together for the North Stars to.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Paul Jerrard as well. I'm pretty sure Jerrard and Fraser played together for the North Stars to.
Fraser also coached Jerrard for one year in the IHL. 93-94 Milwaukee Admirals.

Oh, and I guess this means Petersen is done here, as he's the Stars' usual diabetes charity guy. (last bit of the article)

Last edited by Frozen Failure: 06-18-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:24 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Not a bad hire for you guys. Fraser is a decent coach.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:30 AM
BigG44

Several things stuck out to me from the official websites article on Fraser:

Quote:
Fraser got some friendly advice from Red Wings General Manager Ken Holland and Assistant GM Jim Nill.

“They both told me this is a great spot, a great leadership group led by Joe Nieuwendyk,” Fraser said. “They said ‘you’ve got to go talk to these guys.’”
I didn't quote this part, but Dallas had to receive permission from Detroit to talk with him. He was still under contract.

Quote:
Once his career ended in 1990, Brian Burke, then Director of Hockey Operations in Vancouver, and Canucks coach Pat Quinn helped pushed him towards coaching.
It's not been reported that Burke recommended Fraser to Dallas or anything, but seeing that note reminded me that I believe Crawford was recommended to GM Joe Nieuwendyk by Burke. Not after he was hired by Dallas, but apparently when Joe was at Toronto Burke mentioned Crawford was a good coach, IIRC. I don't remember the exact details, but I just seem to remember GMJN mentioning Burke was high on Crawford or something.

Quote:
Fraser, who early in his coaching career had a reputation of being volatile, learned some patience as he helped Red Wings prospects find their way to the NHL.

“I was a pretty demanding coach. There are no easy ways to win. You’ve got to push hard. That’s what I did,” Fraser said. “The last four years, working with young kids, developing them, I’ve become much more patient and you’ve got to be a real great communicator. You’ve got to speed them up and teach them to play a much different game than they are used to. I think the experience in Grand Rapids and working with Detroit really helped me.
That's great that he's learned to be patient, but I imagine he could also play "bad cop" which might be one of the reasons they like him.

Quote:
“I’ve been around for a while but working with a guy like Mike Babcock, he’s a fantastic coach. Ken Holland and Jimmy Nill, there’s not much better than that. I’ve got great memories of the last four years of working with the Wings. I’ve learned a ton, it’s helped me as a coach and hopefully I can bring some of it to the Dallas Stars.”