HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIII

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Paranteau probably gets $4.5-$5mil, closer to $5mil. I'd be a fan at low $4mil.

Old
06-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I don't think he's a very popular option around here, but I like him a lot. And I don't think his past season was a fluke. I think he could be had for $4.0 if you give him term (6 years). I'd actually prefer him on the second line -mostly because I don't think we're going to get a real second line center. Parenteau is very shifty/creative and a good passer off the wing. It's not ideal, but I would understand the logic behind it.
Unless there is a pretty top notch finisher on that 2nd line I don't see the point of him on that line personally.

Old
06-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

There will certainly be bidders over $5M for 4+ years for Parenteau's services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Two years in and no one can even agree on what Johansson's supposed to become.

Contending teams aren't the place for developing players. Either you are ready to play, or you are not.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

You are just making my point for me.

Doughty was more NHL-ready as a rookie than Johansson is now. He got to develop his rookie year under no real pressure on a bad team, then had two more years where LA weren't real contenders to follow. He is irrelevant to the discussion in this case.

King proved to be effective in Manchester and was brought up to be a big body and that's exactly what he was doing, and they got more than they expected out of him. He's got enough skill to play with top 6 players and not be a liability when not scoring. Even then he was moved to the bottom 6 when he was becoming less effective than Penner.

Nolan wasn't as good so he was playing an even more limited bottom 6 role. Loktionov who barely played was probably a better player but Nolan was far more suited to a bottom 6 role.

Marchand had to prove to be effective in Providence first, then he had to prove himself to exceed the bottom 6 role he was given in Boston before he got top 6 time.

Seguin has an elite NHL-ready skill set that not a lot of players have. Still he didn't even play the first two rounds of the playoffs last year and didn't get in until Bergeron got hurt, and had no real impact after Bergeron came back. They also didn't have the option to send him down to Providence anyway.

Even Adam Larsson got benched in the playoffs for Peter Harrold. Do you really think a non-contending team would ever sit their top defense prospect for Peter Friggin Harrold?

Most of these players were allowed to develop and prove themselves away from the contenders before they were bought up to contribute immediately. Johansson is far more than just some muscle away from being a useful NHL player on a contender.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:41 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I'm not a of Russian hockey, but I like Yakupov. If GMGM wants to have two legit offensive line, he needs to try to trade for Yak.
2 1sts, green, minor pieces?
Then we have (in the future):
Ovechkin - Backstrom - complementary player
complementary player - Johansson - Yakupov

Old
06-18-2012, 07:00 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I would probably yak if we landed Yak but then brought in a trap coach that has never worked with high skilled Russians. But I do want George exploring what it takes to land him, the 2 1's plus ?. It's his job. What are historic bust rates on 11's and 16's.... should we expect one to bust? I support moving up if so.

Too bad we couldn't dangle Wideman and the 2 firsts instead. Heck we will throw in Sarge too. But I would like to see where Green's "rehab" goes before giving up on him. We have come so far as he redefines his game, and he is showing progress. He may need a Bruce II to get him feeling good about his offensive game. Something for George to consider when deciding the coach and system of our team going forward.

If Yakupov is that good, moving Green should be considered, especially if GM is planning on the shell game moving forward, ft. chips up the boards as our breakout. Kundratek and team Hershey can do that. No more offense generated on the backend, so we need forwards that can go it alone. Enter Yakupov.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
What are historic bust rates on 11's and 16's.... should we expect one to bust? I support moving up if so.

If Yakupov is that good, moving Green should be considered, especially if GM is planning on the shell game moving forward, ft. chips up the boards as our breakout. Kundratek and team Hershey can do that. No more offense generated on the backend, so we need forwards that can go it alone. Enter Yakupov.
1st rounders are NHL players with 50% or smth probability afair.

And Yakupov isn't THAT good. More to that - he is a winger.

But we can try

OV - Backstrom - Semin
Yakupov - Johansson - Kuznetsov
6 x Beagle

Old
06-18-2012, 08:27 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
1st rounders are NHL players with 50% or smth probability afair.

And Yakupov isn't THAT good. More to that - he is a winger.

But we can try

OV - Backstrom - Semin
Yakupov - Johansson - Kuznetsov
6 x Beagle
6 x Beagle a litter of puppies

I am afraid to see what the Caps historic bust rate is for firsts, and George's. I supported George moving his last year for Brouwer. I recognized that as a win now move, a recognition that a window was open to land a cup. It seemed a deviation from the hoard the firsts plan; which almost mandated him hitting on his firsts.

Winger is a position of depth, if there are any. Maybe giving up all that for a winger is perhaps not wise.

Has George already decided the style and system he wants to bring next year? If he can't even figure that out, he may just need to not make any big moves at all.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Best scenario I can come up with:

Grigorenko is sliding all the way up to #11. And then GMGM trades this pick for Plekanec.

MTL is getting 2 good players and rebuilding on the fly. I guess they will pick Galchenyuk over Grigorenko anyway.

Trading everything for Yakupov is indeed not wise because it isn't close to fixing our problems.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Halpysback

Minimum "acceptable" cost (no Carlson, etc) I can see is Orlov + 11 + 16 + 2nd and I'm not sure I'd be down for that. Maybe they ask for Johansson instead to play with MPS? Probably not though.

We could be ok with just Jokinen signed and some cost effective 4th line play like Bernier. I also think that since we can't round out a perfect team it's better to start with a semi scoring 3rd line so Johansson can practice center some more. If he develops as a center that would be a serious boost to us. Put him with Chimera for the speed multiplier and slot Beagle in there to cover for defense/faceoffs/strength.

Also I'd think perhaps trying to get Orlov to play as a LD (which shouldn't be that hard since he shoots left so defensively he should be fine) and put him with Carlson.

Ovechkin Backstrom Ward
Laich Jokinen Brouwer
Chimera Johansson Beagle
Hendricks Perreault Bernier

Alzner Green
Orlov Carlson
Hamrlik Kundratek

Should be good enough to get us to the deadline at least if the players rebound. Though Semin makes it a lot better.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Ovechkin Backstrom Ward
Laich Jokinen Brouwer
Chimera Johansson Beagle
It's a common problem (C) but you did misspelled Beagle about 7-8 times there buddy.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:06 AM
G3 LesPaul

Rads is gone, can we stop talking about him now please?

He was a garbage option anyawy

On to Andrei K!

Old
06-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Rads is gone, can we stop talking about him now please?

He was a garbage option anyawy

On to Andrei K!
How is that better?

Old
06-18-2012, 10:31 AM
sk84fun_dc

No surprise that all 7 RFAs received QOs. As has been discussed here, the questions are which players file for arb. (of those eligible), which sign multi-year deals and which sign QOs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Honestly I think it's as much about keeping him restricted as retaining his rights. That gives McPhee leverage in the next contract as well. If not qualified, he'd lose that RFA status July 1, even if he signed afterward.
I know Langway and others have replied to your series of posts on this comment, but I didn't see this particular aspect specifically replied to when reading the discussion. It is not true that he's lose his RFA status, even if he signed afterward.

An RFA who does not receive a QO and becomes UFA does not automatically retain UFA status for his following contracts. He has to meet the UFA requirements at the end of the next contract otherwise the player is RFA and the team has a right to QO him, based on the current CBA.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Johansson is far more than just some muscle away from being a useful NHL player on a contender.
Johansson was a child in the Rangers series but when you've got Laich as a top six center, Chimera at 2LW, Aucoin at 4C and Hendricks/Beagle playing prime minutes you're not a contender based on overall forward makeup anyway.

McPhee said they want to carry over the competitiveness of last year's group--IRT shot blocking and team D I guess--with more of an up-tempo style. It's not entirely clear what's meant by up-tempo. I'd hope that tempo/pace alone isn't perceived as the issue.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:08 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Wow thanks, I did not know that.

I do not envy you having to sort out an entirely new CBA next year, especially since we will all undoubtedly come running with dozens of questions the instant it's signed

Old
06-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Minimum "acceptable" cost (no Carlson, etc) I can see is Orlov + 11 + 16 + 2nd and I'm not sure I'd be down for that. Maybe they ask for Johansson instead to play with MPS? Probably not though.

We could be ok with just Jokinen signed and some cost effective 4th line play like Bernier. I also think that since we can't round out a perfect team it's better to start with a semi scoring 3rd line so Johansson can practice center some more. If he develops as a center that would be a serious boost to us. Put him with Chimera for the speed multiplier and slot Beagle in there to cover for defense/faceoffs/strength.

Also I'd think perhaps trying to get Orlov to play as a LD (which shouldn't be that hard since he shoots left so defensively he should be fine) and put him with Carlson.

Ovechkin Backstrom Ward
Laich Jokinen Brouwer
Chimera Johansson Beagle

Alzner Green
Orlov Carlson
Hamrlik Kundratek

Should be good enough to get us to the deadline at least if the players rebound. Though Semin makes it a lot better.
Get them to the deadline as what dead last? McPhee should be run out of town on a rail if he iced that team next season unless Leonsis cuts his budget by say $12+ mil. That team has about $14 mil in cap space not including Poti's $2.875.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:29 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

You can scratch Jackman even further off your lists...

Old
06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Capitlols

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Jaromir Jagr enjoyed Phildadelphia, but plans on testing free agency. Also plans to change training to shed some lbs and get faster.

If there wasn't the bad blood, it would make so much sense as a veteran addition.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Barret Jackman gets 3-year deal from St. Louis worth $9.5 million.

JS contract keeps looking worst and worst

Old
06-18-2012, 11:36 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Jaromir Jagr enjoyed Phildadelphia, but plans on testing free agency. Also plans to change training to shed some lbs and get faster.

If there wasn't the bad blood, it would make so much sense as a veteran addition.
I thought he signed in Philly?

Old
06-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post

Old
06-18-2012, 11:40 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
I thought he signed in Philly?
He did...

Last year...

Old
06-18-2012, 12:19 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
He did...

Last year...
Wasn't there a thing on the main boards sayings he did again?

Idk, leave me alone

Old
06-18-2012, 12:21 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Pahlsson out of the picture too, signed overseas. Are there even going to be any free agents on July 1?

Closed Thread