HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Power of Positivity and Ridiculous Posts You Made This Year(negative or positive)

Old
06-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
The Power of Positivity and Ridiculous Posts You Made This Year(negative or positive)

As the resident Tony Robbins, I'm a super positive person but this season even made me wonder if the Kings would ever break through their mediocrity. In this thread you'll find a bunch of my proclamations that the Kings would bring home Lord Stanley's Cup. I do that every year so that if and when it actually happened, I could come back and shove it in everyone's face. A good ole fashioned "I told you so". Well Negative Nellies and Positive Petes alike, here are a few ridiculous posts from myself this year. There are plenty of Stanley Cup predictions and a few things tha can be labeled "ridiculous" at this point. Feel free to dig into your past and share your most absurd posts.

Response arrogant Canucks fan round 1..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
You can't fault me for thinking the Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup this year can you?
On Jeff carter trade..

Quote:
Now all the Kings have to do is win that elusive Stanley Cup.
Trading Brown and Kopitar for Carter and Nash....

Quote:
Nash>Brown
Carter<Kopitar? I put a question mark because I'm not even sure that is true at this point.

I hate the thought of Kopitar on any other team but I want the Kings to win a friggin playoff round and maybe one day, just one day, a Stanley Cup. Is Kopitar the #1 center that will get the team there? Maybe if Sutter or another coach brings it out of him but the way he is going on his own or under TM, I don't think so. He is too aloof at times. Too many passengers on this team. I'm not saying that trading Kopitar and Brown for Carter and Nash is the right move but it is worth discussing. There is a reason the Kings are in the position they are in and it is largely because the "core" is underachieving big time or are they? Maybe the last 3 seasons is what they are capable of.
Wrong about Sutter...

Quote:
Since I'm one of the people who wasn't a big fan of the Sutter hiring, let me explain my position. I've been clear all along. It is my opinion that Darryl Sutter would net short term gains by getting more out of the players than Murray was in terms of hustle and compete. He'll show some emotion, hold players accountable if they play like crap and get them to be a little more aggressive offensively. He, in my opinion, is not the guy to take the team to becoming a top ten offensive team though. He doesn't have a track record of it and he is a defense first coach.

I said it before and I'll say it again, i think he can and will get the Kings to the playoffs but I don't think he'll get them to a place where they have a top 10 offense and defense. Having a top offense is pretty important to becoming a Stanley Cup Champion in the post lockout era. All the teams since the lockout have had a top 10 offense (I believe it is actually top 7 - Ducks were the worst offense team to win). I think the Kings need to make a change organizationally from player personnel to coaching that focuses more on offense if they want to have a legitimate shot at the Cup in the near future.
I was wrong, this guy was right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Valid points, however the less goals you are getting the less you need to score. Anaheim was 8-9th in goals scored the season they won the Cup. What they did in the playoffs was increasing goal output slightly AND decreasing GAA. Playoffs are different. I think that Sutter can do both in playoffs - increasing GG and decreasing GAA. Or at least keep it around 2.10. What works for him is, that playoffs are by default closer and the qualities that Sutter can raise in the players become even more important. Every game should be an epic battle - if Sutter has anything to say about it.

Anaheim, in my opinion, was not the top performer in regular season. But they were able to play at a much higher level in the PO.

I'm Nostradamus-like...

Quote:
The Kings are going to win the Stanley cup this year! Lock your pets up because Darryl Sutter is coming for your cats.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=204

This is getting eerie...

Quote:
The Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup!
Quote:
I'm the resident optimist. You need somebody here to pull you guys up by your boot straps and straighten you out when you get too down and out. The Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup this year and don't you forget it.
Quote:
The Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup this year!! I also don't expect them to lose another game this season.
Quote:
Hey man, get out of here with that nonsense. This is the place where we criticize the team for not bringing us the Cup in November!

It seems like everyone here has it all figured out (as they do every year) so why do you guys even bother watching? I really don't get it.

I got news for all you clowns. The Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup THIS year!

I owe tomd a Sundae...

Quote:
Yes there is a very large hole in the trophy case at Staples Center where the Stanley Cup belongs. They are going to try and fill that this year. Just ask tomd.. I'm going to buy him hot fudge Sundae when it happens.

Too bad Herby, PSP and I didn't get to walk the parade route together. We'll have to save it for next year's gay pride parade...

Quote:
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

The Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup this year! PSP, Herby and I will join hands and skip through the parade together in Downtown LA. It is going to be magical!
And the shocker.. I'm surprised nobody has held me up to this yet...

Quote:
Darryl Sutter is going to bring the Los Angeles Kings their first Stanley Cup!! And it is going to happen this year. Dairy Queen blizzards for everyone on me when it happens.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Quattro

not here but on another (non-hockey) board, after the crushing Detroit loss in March, I posted that I was done as a King fan, was going to take all my jerseys and paraphernalia to goodwill and give away the rest of my season tickets. I was a tad drunk at the time.

Needless to say, I have been teased unmercifully about that ever since

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:14 PM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

In for the DQ Blizzards extravaganza. When and Where?

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Dropdapuck

I wanted Dean gone after the way Murray was fired.

Last edited by Dropdapuck: 06-18-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: corrected format
Dropdapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
This begins with

and ends with

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
All of my extremely positive in-season posts came during games that the Kings eventually lost. When they lost I think got extremely pissed and flip-flopped on my comments, so it wouldn't be fair for me to post those.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Shootmaster_44

I'm sure most of you remember my Post-Game 5 of the Cup posts. Amazing what anger can make someone think. Though with the way the Devils played in Game 6, would it have made any difference who was in net?

Conversely, on October 26th I made a comment about how it was less than a month before I would see the Stanley Cup champions play (referring to the Hawks/Kings game I went to in LA). My Dad's friend who is a Hawks fan was bugging me saying you mean the Hawks will win the Cup and I responded nope the Kings will. Of course every year I say something like that, but it makes me look like a great prognosticator saying the Kings will take the Cup after about three weeks of the season.

Count me in for the DQ Blizzard party btw.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:24 PM
jml87

On the negative side. I posted this about Carter before the trade which turned out to be totally wrong:

Quote:
I just can't recommend Carter. His numbers look great, but he's just never been all that spectacular to me. He takes a million shots and a lot of them go flying over the net or wide. Plus his constant injuries are not helpful. Maybe it's just the playoff performances and that wide open net he had in OT of game 6 of the SCF that makes me jaded, though.
I'm sorry, Carter

But I did say this in the PGT of the last game of the season when we lost to the Sharks:

Quote:
Wow, so is everyone giving up before the playoffs even start. I don't think a few bad bounces = Kings choking again in April. Believe in your team. They might surprise you.
So... SURPRISE

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

My shameful low point of the season, after the Kings blew the lead in what was essentially a must win game against the Red Wings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post

A bit tongue in cheek but that's how it feels right now. What a bunch of overpaid, don't give a crap losers there are on this team.
I had a hard time getting excited after that, almost expecting them to disappoint once again. It wasn't until they started winning against Vancouver in the playoffs I started to feel real excitement for the team again.

I'll never give up hope again

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
My shameful low point of the season, after the Kings blew the lead in what was essentially a must win game against the Red Wings:

I had a hard time getting excited after that, almost expecting them to disappoint once again. It wasn't until they started winning against Vancouver in the playoffs I started to feel real excitement for the team again.

I'll never give up hope again
I made this thread because even me, an internal optimist was really starting to get jaded. It is funny to reflect on your thoughts down the road and that is why I usually try to not speak in absolutes. I spent a lot of time looking at stats from past cup winners this year and pretty much all of those trends went out the window this postseason.

However, I do believe that if you tally up the Kings numbers post Sutter and Carter additions, the Kings offensive output and defensive numbers would line up with the trends. The Kings just had a 60 game training camp this year.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

In October I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
I predict Penner has less than 10 points before he's traded or waived.
And in November:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
I think there's an urgency to getting rid of the guy - even for nothing - because he makes the team worse (by his play and his attitude). You gotta think he pisses off guys like Brown and Richards.
No problem saying I was wrong (although it's still open to question whether we should bring him back).

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I still hate the Paul Coffey trade-does that count?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:50 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

I'm pretty emotional guy, most of my friends and family can attest to that. When I was younger I was known to break remote controls, kick holes in furniture, and generally carry on like a child after a big loss.

But I've always been good about getting negativity out in a short temper tantrum and moving on. I did believe in Lombardi's plan and I knew that building a team takes time.

It was when I started really reading and participating here on HF Boards that any kind of sustained negativity creeped in. At first I couldn't believe how down on this team some of you were but reading it day after day I was starting to feel like I was a fool for believing.

It wasn't until I spent a few hours reading through the Bruins board that I realized that everyone's crazy. It was calming to know that they had alot of doubts over there as well before that team finally delivered. Right around that time I decided that my catch phrase would be "everything's fine". From this day forward I will always remember that nothing is over until it's truly over.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:50 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

I think I was fairly consistent in expressing skepticism that the team would make any noise in the post-season, and shortly before the trade deadline, I was internally pretty skeptical that they'd even make the playoffs. I don't think I had any "ridiculous" specific posts -- unless you count ones where I replied to optimists with mathematical projections of what the team would have to do to make the playoffs/win the division, and said things like "have you honestly seen anything from this team that makes you think they can sustain the type of points percentage that would be needed to..."

Then, when the playoffs came, I never quite got to "they're gonna win!" territory until Kopitar's goal in Game Two of the SCF -- before that, I was always waiting for the seemingly inevitable "other shoe to drop".

I will admit to a ridiculous tweet, though, back on March 9:
https://twitter.com/babyface_GM/stat...15826779275264

Quote:
Two words come to mind when thinking of the @LAKings this year: Wasted. Season. ‪#fireLombardi
Yeah... there's the one I need helpings of crow for!!

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:53 PM
onlyalad

I want to say i posted
"go king go
Go Kings Go
GO KINGS GO
GO! KINGS! GO!"

6 times this year. Always when the Kings were down or tied and they won every game.
Then one last time before game 6.
I didn't want to over use my power/luck but it was at critical times when the need was there

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:46 PM
eleventy

Going through the DL rant thread is awesome. Some definite gems in there.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:54 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I am not going to try and find the individual posts, but I often questioned whether or not Kopitar had the inner drive to be a champion.

He came up aces in the playoffs. Congratulations to him for taking his game to the next level.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Prince

Said after the loss on Feb 18th and consecutive 1-0 shutouts to the Coyotes and Flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince View Post
These players don't deserve any help at the trade deadline.
As it turned out this loss was in the middle of a 0-5-1 slump.
Six days later the Kings trade for Jeff Carter.

Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Most of my anger towards the team were due to Murray's horrible system and his idea that professional hockey players didn't need motivation.

My problem with Dean was that he didn't fire Murray after last season (I know that he had the Kopitar injury excuse). Luckily the team under performed so badly that AEG had Dean fire Murray, I still don't think it was Dean's idea. I was worried about Sutter coming on board, but at least he had a track record of getting his players to play hard.

Winning the Stanley Cup this season makes me so happy that I don't care what Dean and the Kings do this summer with the draft and UFA.

I'm sure that I will still rant in the individual GDTs, but I don't think I can question Dean's abilities anymore. He brought a Stanley Cup to LA in 6 years, he obviously knows what he is doing or is the luckiest person alive. Either way, the Los Angeles Kings are Stanley Cup champions.

Watching Jim Fox tear up on TV because he can now tell kids that the Kings have won 1 Stanley Cup was awesome to see. It was nice of the Kings to bring Heidi back for the parade coverage, you could tell she missed being around the team.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:37 PM
johnjm22

I'm sure I made lots of idiotic posts through out the year. I'm too lazy to dig them up though.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Ollie Weeks

I was one of the Jonestowners following that late season loss to Detroit. Man was that a dark night. I think I was more anti-Lombardi that week than I'd ever been before, or ever will be again. I felt so weary. And the dash to the playoffs happened and that ugly shade of me hasn't been seen since.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:39 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

I don't have the free time to go through all my posts, but I was pretty pissed when the Kings went on that epic losing streak in the middle of the season and couldn't score more than one goal a game. Once Sutter got involved, I got much better. And after the Kings won the first game against the Canucks, I knew they had a legit chance.

I was all for Lombardi being kicked to the curb, so I will eat a family of crows for that one.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:40 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Just pick any specific PGT and have fun:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fo...2&prefixid=LA5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
I was one of the Jonestowners following that late season loss to Detroit. Man was that a dark night. I think I was more anti-Lombardi that week than I'd ever been before, or ever will be again. I felt so weary. And the dash to the playoffs happened and that ugly shade of me hasn't been seen since.
Yep... most of us were.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1057527

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Johnny Utah

All my Richards hate backfired on me. He was huge in the 1st and 2nd round.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:12 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Just pick any specific PGT and have fun:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fo...2&prefixid=LA5
Oh wow -- that's a trip to see them all stacked up like that -- you can see much better where the turnaround started, and where the depths and doldrums were.

I looked back, and what do you know? My "Wasted. Season." tweet was after the loss to the Red Wings (right after the loss to the BlueJackets), both post-trade, but pre-streak. At that point the team had won 31 and lost 37, and was in 10th place, only percentage points ahead of Colorado for 11th.

And right before the six-game winning streak that took them briefly into 3rd. Ahh, I'll take that kind of *****slap from karma any year!

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote