HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Anyone have thoughts on Lukas Sutter and Brock McGinn? Two hard nosed players with good bloodlines and a little bit of do it all in them.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Ranger_Engineer
ordo ab chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Anyone have thoughts on Lukas Sutter and Brock McGinn? Two hard nosed players with good bloodlines and a little bit of do it all in them.
I haven't read much about McGinn, but I know Sutter had a good show of strength at the combine.

With the season that he had, his size, bloodline, and his reported skill at faceoffs, I think he'd be a good 2nd round pick, if he's there and there are no other real high-risk, high-reward picks.

With so many unknowns after the top 20 or so, I'm looking for the potential of high payoff.

My first choice if they keep their second rounder is Chris Calnan, but if he's gone, I'd be happy with Sutter.

Ranger_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Sutter is a intriguing kid. Really came on this year offensively after being considered more of a banger for most of his junior career. I think if the Rangers want him, they'll have to reach at #28, or trade back and pick up a mid-second rounder. Not really sold enough on him to see him being picked at 28.

I think McGinn should go in the 4th round. Lot of injury concerns, and he plays a gritty style but is pretty slight in his build.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:13 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Woodlief stated that the teams picking between 10 - 15 all were high on him and would have taken him had other players they rated higher not been around.

The same with the McIlrath pick. Everybody thinks the Rangers went off the board drafting him when several teams were interested in him in the 9-15 range.

IMO the Jessiman pick made sense at the time. The Rangers had no size and were pushed around too easily. Jessiman went straight from no competition in HS to dominating a tough ECAC his freshman year.

Draft "gurus" have their moments. They all had them in 1993 and 1999. Woodlief is a former scout while most of the others are just scribes.
There are some good teams in the ECAC but generally the ECAC is not as good as Hockey East, CCHA or WCHA. Jessiman had a nice skating stride but in close-tight physical areas of the ice he had balance issues. His awkwardness allowed smaller players to knock him around and take the puck away. Some injury problems didn't help but he never significantly improved the weak areas of his game.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Draft Guru

My gut still tells me if we stand pat at #28, a D will be the BPA.

But I feel it is more likely we trade up then trade down. One name that really intrigues me is Slater Koekkoek.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:33 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
There are some good teams in the ECAC but generally the ECAC is not as good as Hockey East, CCHA or WCHA. Jessiman had a nice skating stride but in close-tight physical areas of the ice he had balance issues. His awkwardness allowed smaller players to knock him around and take the puck away. Some injury problems didn't help but he never significantly improved the weak areas of his game.
This. The ECAC might have been competitive at that time but they are still nowhere near the talent level of the other conferences. Merrimack would be a dominant force in that conference.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Woodlief Chat on USAtoday:

1:00
Comment From Evan
Who are some players to look at for the Rangers at 28?

1:02
Phil DiGiuseppe, Tim Bozon, Tomas Hertl, Brendan Gaunce, and I'll throw in a surprise - Dominic Toninato out of Duluth East H.S. in Minnesota.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...hat/55649922/1

Toninato is a Forward. Bigger project than Nieves, Hart, Maceachem, Calnan, IMO. I'd be pretty surprised if he made an appearance in the first round.

Woodlief thinks Gaunce will be the surprise to fall down the draft board.

He really likes Scott Laughton, I do too, just looks like a Pro Hockey player.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Interesting that he thinks Gaunce will drop, but really likes Laughton. I see them as very similar players, but Gaunce appears to be two steps ahead in his development right now.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:46 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I would take a flyer on Toninato but certainly not at 28! That is crazy talk.

06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Woodlief Chat on USAtoday:

Comment From Evan

1:02
Phil DiGiuseppe, Tim Bozon, Tomas Hertl, Brendan Gaunce, and I'll throw in a surprise - Dominic Toninato out of Duluth East H.S. in Minnesota.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...hat/55649922/1

Toninato is a Forward. Bigger project than Nieves, Hart, Maceachem, Calnan, IMO. I'd be pretty surprised if he made an appearance in the first round.

Woodlief thinks Gaunce will be the surprise to fall down the draft board.

He really likes Scott Laughton, I do too, just looks like a Pro Hockey player.
I pretty much expect Gaunce to be gone before 28. Laughton might be around though and he has some skill and plays with quite a bit of edge. A bit of an antagonizer as well. Could do worse IMO. Guys like him if he makes it--other teams will hate to play against.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

If Guance is there at 28, they should take him.

He would fit the mold of this Rangers team perfectly.

HockeyProspect NHL Black Book compared him to Jordan Staal.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Comment From Evan
Nice to see my question get answered in the chat!!
Was surprised to see him not mention any of the really raw guys that you've all been talking about, or are they all really under the radar right now? Chances some of them are around for our 2nd pick?

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
My gut still tells me if we stand pat at #28, a D will be the BPA.

But I feel it is more likely we trade up then trade down. One name that really intrigues me is Slater Koekkoek.
I have a feeling Koekkoek's injuries won't scare a team picking in the teens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Interesting that he thinks Gaunce will drop, but really likes Laughton. I see them as very similar players, but Gaunce appears to be two steps ahead in his development right now.
If Gaunce is Getzlaf, then Laughton is Mike Richards.

Mike Richards types are gonna be super hyped this draft

Old
06-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Nice to see my question get answered in the chat!!
Was surprised to see him not mention any of the really raw guys that you've all been talking about, or are they all really under the radar right now? Chances some of them are around for our 2nd pick?

Anything could happen picking late first round in this draft.

This year I see a number of good high school and prep players, more than usual. I think part of that may be this drafts lack of the bells and whistles, not alot of flash. But maybe thats not a bad thing when substance, depth could be had in this draft. I never see a valuable asset as a bad thing.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

If Sutter is there in the 2nd for us, he'd be a very solid pick. I doubt he'll be there, though.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
If Gaunce is Getzlaf, then Laughton is Mike Richards.

Mike Richards types are gonna be super hyped this draft
Now you've done it. I can see the "I heard Gaunce is like Getzlaf" posts already.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Now you've done it. I can see the "I heard Gaunce is like Getzlaf" posts already.
"From Gaunce To Getzlaf" The new Broadway Sensation !

Chandler Stephenson, Regina Pats, 5'11 190, C/LW

Quietly sitting there at #33 CSB. Ranger's looked at his older brother Logan in the 2nd round a few years back. Character kid, great conditioning, late season offensive surge, coached by Former Devil Pat Conacher. Possible NYR or Devs pick IMO.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Draft Guru

I'm actually more intrigued/excited/anxious to watch this draft play out than any in recent years.

The projections on players are all over the map, more so than I can ever remember and I've been a huge draft junkie since '99. At the end of the day, I think we're going to see a lot of surprise 1st rounders and a lot of recognizable names fall to the 2nd. There's been more injuries to top players in this draft than in years past, so it definitely has made for a difficult year of scouting.

There's not a whole lot of polished players in this draft, so I think you will see teams reaching for these extremely raw high school and prep kids with the thinking that they will be the best player in 5 years.

There's going to be some great drama come Friday night and Saturday afternoon, that's for sure.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I agree B, its gonna be one of those drafts. Like 1997, after the first 6 or 7 picks its anyones game !

Another guy going under the radar:

Josh Anderson, 6'1 189, LW, London Knights

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...Rank&year=2012

Speed, size, hands, and he's an impressive scrapper. Went from 161 Midterm to 57 final on CSB list. Could be hidden gem on deep Knights team. With almost no power play time he scored what you'd expect for a young guy not getting big minutes, but the ones he did score showed nice skill and speed. Plays for the Hunter's some expect the Caps to be in on the action with their boatload of picks.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

What do you guys think of Dylan Blujus? I liked what I saw of him. Think he has some untapped offensive upside, but he plays a really solid game in his own end.

Old
06-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
What do you guys think of Dylan Blujus? I liked what I saw of him. Think he has some untapped offensive upside, but he plays a really solid game in his own end.
Yeah I mentioned him in my original list for #28.

I think of Justin Faulk. PP Dman that gets the puck to the net. Did not see enough of him defensively, not sure what he can do with that size, looks young still, some room to grow.

Old
06-18-2012, 05:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
I've stated all along that this draft shouldn't be a throw away because they have a lot of have young NHL roster players, won 51-games and made the CF.

Rangers need guys who can score goals and guys who can pass the puck. Speed shouldnt be that big of a deal. Tim Kerr, Cam Neely, John Leclair, Brett Hull etc were not all great skaters. Neither were Adam Oates, Ron Francis etc.

Tape to tape passers and open-net scorers. I go skill forward this entire draft between 5'10 - 6'3.

Gaunce
Zharkov
Samuelsson
Di Giuseppe
Pearson
Prokhorkin
Winther

Kerdiles is a perfect system guy to plug in, but I swing for the fences in this draft in terms of overall skill, creativity with the puck and goal scoring.
No draft is a "throw away".

Anyone who approaches it as such should be fired on the spot.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:06 PM
TheRedViper

Where is Jesse Graham expected to go?

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Yeah I mentioned him in my original list for #28.

I think of Justin Faulk. PP Dman that gets the puck to the net. Did not see enough of him defensively, not sure what he can do with that size, looks young still, some room to grow.
He has a shot like Faulk that's for sure. I didn't think he used his size enough, could stand to be a bit grittier in the corners, but man does he make some smart plays. I have him as a late 2nd rounder. Do you think he's got a shot at being a late first?

Old
06-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
He has a shot like Faulk that's for sure. I didn't think he used his size enough, could stand to be a bit grittier in the corners, but man does he make some smart plays. I have him as a late 2nd rounder. Do you think he's got a shot at being a late first?
Small chance I think. Others around his spot in this draft were more consistent or turned it on late in the year. Just like Faulk, 2nd rounder most likely.