HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XI - Luoraker (Mod warning #432)

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
That's fine then. I'd rather wait out a talent like Reimer than spend a ridiculous amount of assets for a goaltender that is: a) past his prime, b) extremely expensive, c) extremely expensive and signed for another ten years.

Have fun with that.
Enjoy weak goaltending for the next...how ever long it takes to run Reimer out of town like we did with Cloutier.

Luongo is in his prime (his stats this year were fine, and not indicitive of a decline), he is expensive long term due to the number of years signed, but 5.33 is not an expensive cap hit for a star player, and why do finances bother you? Are you a majority share holder in Rogers or Bell?

Old
06-18-2012, 03:02 PM
KISSland

vCash: 500
5.3M "mammoth cap hit." Made me laugh hard.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Henrik To Daniel

I don't think you people understand... if Burke thinks he can get Lou for Komisarek and a 4th you are out of your mind. Gillis has no problem rolling with two great goalies and going all in for a final shot at the Cup this year

Old
06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
I don't think you people understand... if Burke thinks he can get Lou for Komisarek and a 4th you are out of your mind. Gillis has no problem rolling with two great goalies and going all in for a final shot at the Cup this year
Luongo seems to have a problem with it though.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
TRR

Quote:
That's fine then. I'd rather wait out a talent like Reimer than spend a ridiculous amount of assets for a goaltender that is: a) past his prime, b) extremely expensive, c) extremely expensive and signed for another ten years.

Have fun with that.
Past his prime? His past two years have been two of his best of his career.
Extremely Expensive? He's 8th for goaltenders in Cap-hit
Signed for 10 years? Yes you're right, Toronto fans have time and time again ignored the fact that Luongo won't be playing for another 10 years.

You're talking out of your ass. If you're not interested in Luongo save your breathe and stop posting in this thread.

Old
KISSland

Quote:
Gillis might not have a problem, but I'd put money on Luongo or Schneider being very upset with this decision.

One goalie will be gone this season.

Old
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
why do finances bother you? Are you a majority share holder in Rogers or Bell?
A goaltender with a $5.33 cap hit for the next ten years could seriously hamper the ability of my favourite team to ice a deep/competitive team. That's why his cap hit bothers me.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:07 PM
TRR

Quote:
A goaltender with a $5.33 cap hit for the next ten years could seriously hamper the ability of my favourite team to ice a deep/competitive team. That's why his cap hit bothers me.
If you're concerned about being deep and competitive, I'd say you've got a lot more things to be worry about than a cap hit of just over 5 million p/year.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Oignon Saute

To Van
Schenn
Ashton
Conditional 2013 1st Rounder

To Tor
Luongo
2012 2nd rounder
Conditional 2013 2nd rounder.

If the 1st rounder is a Top 6 pick Vancouver gets a 2nd rounder instead. If the Leafs make the playoffs they receive a 3rd rounder in 2013 instead.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Trading away 1 pick means you're going to have no prospects? You have a few promising forward and defensive prospects, add a #1 goalie and you're bound to be a playoff team for at least as long as Luongo plays well enough (5-6 years).
Why is this said so often? It is like a tagline around here. Did Miller get Buffalo into the playoffs? Cam Ward the same. Price, Lehtonen, Kiprusoff....

Luongo is no doubt an upgrade, but Canuck fans keep throwing this "he will get you into the playoffs for the next ____ years" like it is fact. It is anything but. I mean, marginally better goaltending COULD have put the Leafs in the playoffs last year, not just LUongo.

Luongo and Schneider can't do it all - hell, they didn't carry the Presidents Trophy winners out of the first round. And no, it wasn't their fault - but there is a hell of a lot more to winning than goaltending. If our defence playing like it did last year, you could board the net up and they are sitll going to score goals.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:12 PM
TRR

I think we can draw the conclusion that if Gillis can only trade Luongo for the peanuts the Leafs fans on this board are offering then it's not going to happen. Although to be fair - if the leafs fans truly value Luongo at about the equivalent of a circa 2001 Bob Essensa, then they shouldn't be too concerned either.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:13 PM
bobbyt91
you must quote me :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR View Post
Are you not doing the same thing? Liles + Fratton is greater value than Luongo is insanity. Regardless of a front loaded long term contract (which won't even run it's course), or the fact we'll likely be saying goodbye to a goaltender this summer, any top 5 goaltender is superior to a top 4 d-man and a potential top 6 forward. What logic are you using?
I'm looking at the whole picture, business wise and talent wise and considering those Fratton+Liles>Lou. If this was based on pure talent and there was no cap and owners didn't care about $$ then Fratton+Liles would have to add a pick or prospect. Even looking at future returns Fratton has soo much to offer. Also for the love of God stop with the top 5 goalie thing!! if he really was then there is no way in hell Van fans would be OK with letting him go. If i could pick any goalies to have Lou would be 14th-18th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
5.3M "mammoth cap hit." Made me laugh hard.
5.3 will be HUGE in a few yrs, also a team can't make a player retire. Not too mention the actual salary is pretty large and owners care about that sort of thing lol and owners are the GM's boss

Old
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Luongo seems to have a problem with it though.
no he doesn't, he never asked for a trade he just said if gillis asked him to waive his NTC he would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Gillis might not have a problem, but I'd put money on Luongo or Schneider being very upset with this decision.

One goalie will be gone this season.
why? the goal for all hockey players is to win the stanley cup and if management convinces them that they would go all in this year and deal with the situation next off season i don't think they'd have a problem

Old
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

List of previous 20 top 5 picks:

2011: Ryan Strome
2010: Nino Niederreiter
2009: Brayden Schenn
2008: Luke Schenn
2007: Karl Alzner
2006: Phil Kessel
2005: Carey Price
2004: Blake Wheeler
2003: Thomas Vanek
2002: Ryan Whitney
2001: Stanislav Chistov
2000: Scott Hartnell
1999: Tim Connolly
1998: Vitali Vishnevski
1997: Eric Brewer
1996: Ric Jackman
1995: Daymon Langkow
1994: Jeff O'neill
1993: Rob neidermayer (Yes, Rob... not Scott).
1992: Darius Kasparaitis

This is to give an indication of what type of player the leafs can expect they might get for their #5 overall. As you can see by the list, there are MANY players on the list that Luongo is far better than and that the Canucks wouldn't trade straight up for. There are only a few players on that list that you might trade straight up.... and there are even fewer who the other team wouldn't trade straight up for Luongo.

Of the list of players above, there are VERY few that would help the Leafs out more now than Luongo. And there is also a VERY good chance that their pick turns out to be an 'average' NHL player that could easily be picked up through other means (IE: UFA's).

Last edited by Uhmkay: 06-18-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old
06-18-2012, 03:16 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
no he doesn't, he never asked for a trade he just said if gillis asked him to waive his NTC he would.
A player with a NTC volunteering to be traded is the same as him saying "trade me".

Old
06-18-2012, 03:17 PM
TRR

Quote:
A player with a NTC volunteering to be traded is the same as him saying "trade me".
You're in the business I suppose?

Old
06-18-2012, 03:18 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Why is this said so often? It is like a tagline around here. Did Miller get Buffalo into the playoffs? Cam Ward the same. Price, Lehtonen, Kiprusoff....

Luongo is no doubt an upgrade, but Canuck fans keep throwing this "he will get you into the playoffs for the next ____ years" like it is fact. It is anything but. I mean, marginally better goaltending COULD have put the Leafs in the playoffs last year, not just LUongo.

Luongo and Schneider can't do it all - hell, they didn't carry the Presidents Trophy winners out of the first round. And no, it wasn't their fault - but there is a hell of a lot more to winning than goaltending. If our defence playing like it did last year, you could board the net up and they are sitll going to score goals.
Luongo is a better goalie than Ryan Miller, Cam Ward, Miikka Kiprusoff, Kari Lehtonen and Carey Price.

06-18-2012, 03:19 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Luongo is a better goalie than Ryan Miller, Cam Ward, Miikka Kiprusoff, Kari Lehtonen and Carey Price.
!!

Old
06-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
The messiah is among us.

What makes yuo think there is no other suitors besidies Toronto?
To be honest, we don't even know for a fact that Toronto is interested.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
TRR

Quote:
!!
Look - this is an honest question. If you seriously hold such little value in Luongo and evidently trust Reimer, why waste your time bantering with us? We obviously hold Luongo in higher regard than you do - and you can't have much interest in him the way you talk. So why continue posting in this thread? Leave it alone if you really couldn't care less as you seem to be implying.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
!!
Not sure what's funny about that? Miller has had only 1 season that
hes bested Luongo. Ward is an incredibly overrated goalie who's more in the 10-15 range. Kipper is very inconsistent. One year he looks great, the next his SVP is around 0.900. Price hasn't done anything that sets him ahead of Luongo, and Lehtonen is an average goalie.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
-Stamkos was a long shot, so the news was largely 'we should've signed him' after the fact.
Long shot? He's on record as saying he never even thought about going anywhere else, he only wanted to sign here, and would not have even looked at any offer sheets if presented.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:24 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Not sure what's funny about that? Miller has had only 1 season that
hes bested Luongo. Ward is an incredibly overrated goalie who's more in the 10-15 range. Kipper is very inconsistent. One year he looks great, the next his SVP is around 0.900. Price hasn't done anything that sets him ahead of Luongo, and Lehtonen is an average goalie.
to be fair Cam Ward has won a Conn Smyth and a Stanley cup.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
No actual facts, of course.

One fact is that the Rangers, Leafs, and Kings were the only teams to submit a formal offer to Brad Richards.
We know he also talked with Tampa Bay. He met with Steve Yzerman personally.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:26 PM
TOML

If sports media had to rely on actual facts for reporting, sports media would be incredibly dull.

What we have here is a gongshow of misinformation between two sides on an issue that just happens to involve the two largest hockey markets that would even give a damn. The media? Yeah, bring on more misinformation, please!

On that note, if everyone here had all the facts, there would be no need for endless debate. Such as which set of facts are actual facts, for starters; "Hey, my set of facts trump yours. I have no evidence to back that up, but that makes little difference to me, as i know what the actual facts are and you don't. Nyah-nyah."

These silly arguments are what bring a highlight to a long, long offseason. Cheers.

TOML

Closed Thread