HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Rig Brew Pub

Old
06-15-2012, 02:09 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmyx View Post
Marc Messier ‏@OttawaFirePIO

Big Rig Brewery will be closed temporarily while they clean up. #ottnews #bigrigbrewery

---

Staff had used 3 dry chem extinguishers to attempt to put out fire. Approx. $25,000 in damages, mostly smoke and dry chem powder. #ottnews

---

@juburton3 At 13:39 this aft. fire crews responded to a small elec. fire in a dishwasher at the Big Rig Brewery. #ottnews #bigrigbrewery
View conversation
I hope Chris kept his recepts...

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Wow. That's an eventful first week.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:45 PM
mianjo

I have a reservation there tomorrow for Father's Day. Will post my comments afterwards.

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:50 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Plan was to go tonight. I had told my mother to make reservations on Wednesday as it was bound to be packed to the limit on opening weekend. She didn't.

Pfft. Women.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

We went tonight...without a reservation. We were told an hour wait and it was almost that long but not quite. They must be having a 'controlled' opening since there were open tables and the patio wasn't up and running. I think they are making sure the kitchen can handle the crowds before filling the place, which is probably a reasonable way to do things. We were pretty happy with it. The IPA was great and my wife really liked the Hefeweisen. They also had the brown, which could have used a bit more body, and the porter, which was ok but I preferred the IPA. The food was good. My wife thought the waitresses skirts could have been a bit longer, lol :-). All in all, I'd go back. Definitely a cut above your typical sports bar. Not cheap but pretty reasonable value for what you get.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:39 PM
mianjo

Well just back, first impressions very disorganised. My wife called yesterday to make a reservation, she was told the main hostess was'nt there yet, but took our details and they said the hostess would call back to confirm, after about 4 hours with no call my wife called back, was told hostess still was'nt available but we were on the list, eventually we did get a call confirming our reservation.
Our reservation was for noon today, we arrived right on time and was told that the waiting time was at least 30 mins, we informed them we had a reservation, they checked no reservation on their list and they would not accept a reservation for less than 5 people (we were for 3 people), eventually they said we would get the next table available, even though we could see empty tables, we mentioned it to the host they said they were for reservations, we pointed out they were tables for 2.
The entrance gets very jammed (fire safety) because as you come in on the right side is the store were people were lined up to buy beer and souvenirs and the people waiting for tables.
We eventually got a table and a nice waiter, very good selection of food and beer. we were warned the bar and kitchen were running slow because of the volume of people, on sunday they also have a brunch.
Decided to try the sampler of beer 4 different for $7.50, they bring it on a board with slots for 4 glasses, unfortunately the board that i had the spaces were to close and only 3 of the 4 glasses fitted in the slots.
My son and my wife had 2 different kinds of pizza and said was very good, i had the roast chicken very good but small portion of chicken.
First impressions a bit disorganised, the waiter came back a number of times apologising for the delays in the kitchen and the bar.
The patio was not open, maybe no license for there yet. They seemed to pay alot of attention to the store and they were doing a roaring trade of people just coming in to buy cases of beer.
The waitresses skirts i had no problem with them

I would go back but they have teething problems that needed to be sorted out.
PS no sign of Mr. Phillips today.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:39 PM
vdB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mianjo View Post
Well just back, first impressions very disorganised. My wife called yesterday to make a reservation, she was told the main hostess was'nt there yet, but took our details and they said the hostess would call back to confirm, after about 4 hours with no call my wife called back, was told hostess still was'nt available but we were on the list, eventually we did get a call confirming our reservation.
Our reservation was for noon today, we arrived right on time and was told that the waiting time was at least 30 mins, we informed them we had a reservation, they checked no reservation on their list and they would not accept a reservation for less than 5 people (we were for 3 people), eventually they said we would get the next table available, even though we could see empty tables, we mentioned it to the host they said they were for reservations, we pointed out they were tables for 2.
The entrance gets very jammed (fire safety) because as you come in on the right side is the store were people were lined up to buy beer and souvenirs
What a nit picker. Chill bro, have a beer.

vdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:29 PM
mianjo

i had 5 thankyou.

Old
06-17-2012, 09:52 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
How much is the beer if you want to bring a pack home?

mat_sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:07 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Sounds like a typical "soft opening".

Not quite ready to roll. I am sure in time they'll get all the kinks worked out.

I'll be checking it out soon.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:03 AM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
How much is the beer if you want to bring a pack home?
The growler is $19, can't remember about the 6-pack though.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
Which is a decent price since a growler is 64oz, a little more than a pitcher of beer, but pretty much the same price.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:22 PM
bluechipbonzo

The Swedes are coming.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:07 PM
vdB

Got my beer hand delivered by Phillips today. This place is officially my favourite.

vdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
Does that include the deposit for the growler? Hope so, since $19 is pretty expensive for a growler.

I definitely plan to get some of the IPA and Hefeweisen sometime though, really liked both of them. I wish they bottled more than just the Gold as I could see it as a regular stop for me. A growler is good for when you're having a party but for everyday drinking it's too much to finish in one go, and you can taste the difference if its been opened more than a day or two.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:04 PM
KA BLAMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Does that include the deposit for the growler? Hope so, since $19 is pretty expensive for a growler.
Yeah, it comes to $19 something total. I'm not sure how much of a deposit is included in there though.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:05 PM
KA BLAMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdB View Post
Got my beer hand delivered by Phillips today.
That's pretty damn awesome.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
I knew the username Inkling was familiar when reading The Bar Towel earlier.

Planning on going there for lunch tomorrow. Anyone try the fish tacos or wings?

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Alright, just back from lunch. Had the fish tacos, they were pretty good.

Now on to the beer, my main interest in going there. Had the sampler with the Brown, Stout, IPA, and Hefe. I'll agree the Brown was lacking something, but I thought it was fairly well done. Prefered it to the Stout. The IPA was disappointing to me, but I made the mistake of taking a big gulp of it after eating some moderately spicy food. I'll get a pint of it next time. Really enjoyed the Hefe, and I'm not a fan of whites at all. Ended up getting a growler of it. $12.50 for the fill, $5 deposit. Cool place, I'll be back for sure.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:37 AM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

vCash: 840
My impressions:

- We went without a reservation and had a 20 min wait, which was ok. Agreed with mianjo that they seemed a little disorganized. But service was still good and they almost looked like they were trying too hard;

- the red beer was excellent!

- maybe my expectations were too high for the food, but I was disappointed. I think they should simplify their menu and focus.

I will definitely go back for the beer, and will probably try more traditional pub fare next time.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Kekumba

One thing I forgot to mention, they don't let the head settle in the growlers. Don't be scared to wait a sec and tell them to fill it right up.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:06 AM
KA BLAMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
My impressions:

- We went without a reservation and had a 20 min wait, which was ok. Agreed with mianjo that they seemed a little disorganized. But service was still good and they almost looked like they were trying too hard;

- the red beer was excellent!

- maybe my expectations were too high for the food, but I was disappointed. I think they should simplify their menu and focus.

I will definitely go back for the beer, and will probably try more traditional pub fare next time.
Agreed! Probably my favorite.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:06 AM
chrewilson

Just noticed today that there is a City of Ottawa sign on the ugly patch of grass towards the bus stops in front of the AMC in Kanata Centrum.

Sign is the standard Black/White city of Ottawa sign, however a closer read tells me that space is going to be a 100 sq metre, 2 storey Restaurant and Brewery.

Big Rig Kitchen location #2 or am I just reading too much into a sign?

chrewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:15 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrewilson View Post
Just noticed today that there is a City of Ottawa sign on the ugly patch of grass towards the bus stops in front of the AMC in Kanata Centrum.

Sign is the standard Black/White city of Ottawa sign, however a closer read tells me that space is going to be a 100 sq metre, 2 storey Restaurant and Brewery.

Big Rig Kitchen location #2 or am I just reading too much into a sign?
I doubt it would be be Big Rig 2 not this soon a year or 2 from now then maybe they will expand.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:21 AM
chrewilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I doubt it would be be Big Rig 2 not this soon a year or 2 from now then maybe they will expand.
Well we all know how long it can take to do stuff in this city...

chrewilson is offline   Reply With Quote