HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Will a team trade for Thomas' contract to get to the cap floor?

Old
06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
nycbruins*

vCash: 500
Thomas' contract can be suspended, thus leaving the acquiring team as the only option Thomas has if he wants to return in 2013.

Also, Thomas could decide that he wants to return during the season, then the acquiring team could have Thomas or whatever they could get from a contender in a trade.

Maybe those things could count as enough value to justify allowing a trade of Thomas before next season.

As for why teams would do it, if you're a cap floor team, the question is why wouldn't you do it? You get $5 million added to the cap without spending a dime. And you could possibly get something in return for him if he decides to make a comeback at some point in the next 2 years or so.

Signing somebody to an over-priced deal in order to get to the floor isn't nearly as attractive because
a) you would actually have to pay him said over-priced number, while Thomas would cost zero actual dollars. If you're losing tons of money like the Islanders, then you've pretty much found a way to drop the floor $5 million while not spending any money.
b) you'd be hard-pressed to get anything of value for him because he'd be so overpaid, unlike Timmy if he decided to make a comeback.

Maybe the NHL will take a harder stance on cap circumvention, but I still think it's possible, and Chiarelli does too.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:38 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Yes, but not in July. Have to wait till the regular season starts in October before anyone can be placed on LTIR.
yeah, but you're allowed to go over the cap by 10% in the offseason, so still inconsequential.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:45 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I see a few differences:

1) SJ didn't acquire the contract to make cap floor, which is the premise of this thread.

2) Malakhov hadn't announced he wouldn't play at all, unlike Thomas.

3) The league seems to have increased their scrutiny of potential cap shenanigans since the Malakhov trade.
I never brought up sj or malakov in my original post. I asked a simple question that some people have taken the wrong way. There are several teams that will have to fight for the cap floor and getting thomas contract could help. Bruins will take the hit and I was thinking of a way they would not have dead space on their cap

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:26 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
yeah, but you're allowed to go over the cap by 10% in the offseason, so still inconsequential.
I wouldn't call it inconsequential. Savard alone will consume over half of the 10% offseason cushion. That cushion also has to cover players that may not make the opening day roster. Players on 2-way contracts count against that summer cap at a pro-rated % based on the # of days they spent on an NHL roster the prior season. For example, Torey Krug will count $110k towards the offseason cap hit during that period because he spent 12 days on the NHL roster this past season.

It reduces the flexibility the club has to make player moves between July 1st and the start of the season.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote