HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 09:31 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Not that I wan't to interrupt this debate but has anyone ever gone 'geocaching'?
Doubtful for me

Old
06-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That mother is going to end up with some major issues.
Of all the people who are going to have "major issues" after this mess she is the last one(after Travis himself) that I'm worried about. In hindsight this is likely one that she should have swallowed. But hey, we all know hindsight is 20/20 right?

Last edited by Reimer: 06-18-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Joe set me straight!
Old
06-18-2012, 09:33 AM
joestevens29

Isn't it 20/20?

Old
06-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Isn't it 20/20?
Ahahaha yeah you're right I thought that sounded wrong but I just rolled with it.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:48 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Well, Psychopathy is not even a widely recognized mental disorder. It's very vaguely defined, and diagnosis is not sanctioned or often supported.

Terms like sociopath are often thrown on people with Anti-Social Personality Disorder, which are not diagnosed in younger children. They'll often be diagnosed with other personality disorders, and develop into "sociopaths" as they enter young adult status, if they are diagnosed at all.

Regardless, you don't have to be either to kill people in cold blood, especially with money involved (well, depending on how broad of an interpretation of sociopath you subscribe too).

It's pretty clearly a no-go within our charter of rights and freedoms.

Thankfully.
Well, they could say its a justifiable limit under s. 1. That's what they had to do for prisoners not being allowed to vote.

And if Harper felt that strongly about it, he could invoke the notwithstanding clause, but that would be insane.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Well, they could say its a justifiable limit under s. 1. That's what they had to do for prisoners not being allowed to vote.

And if Harper felt that strongly about it, he could invoke the notwithstanding clause, but that would be insane.
Exactly it could happen but it's as likely as Tambo and Lowe resigning tomorrow.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:09 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

So you're saying there's a chance!

On geocaching, I know a couple of friends that have done it but I have zero interest.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Again, I find this extremely offensive. I'm one of the youngest workers at my job site (There's one who's 20, and a couple who are 21-23), and I can do my job just as well as any of my older co-workers. Age is just a number in the real world.

As for the other information you're posting, is this true?
Age profiling? It's valid, sorry but it's true.

Do you handle guns and huge amounts of cash on your job site?

Old
06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

There's currently a stand off going on in Riverbend between police and an armed man in a house. This is a comment from a local in the area:

Nicole McCewan left earlier in the morning to take her kids to school, but was not told by police she wouldn’t be able to go back home.
Parked on a side street waiting for the standoff to end, she was trying to reach her parents by phone who were visiting from out of town.
“It’s a bit ridiculous,” McCewan said. “This seems like a lot of police for just one guy in a house.”

Some people are just absolutely clueless.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Ya, but what can you do?

The police are going to do what they want.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ya, but what can you do?

The police are going to do what they want.
Yeah silly them for keeping the area on lock down while they are dealing with an unstable person with firearms. They should re-route traffic from the Henday through there just to make things interesting.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:58 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah silly them for keeping the area on lock down while they are dealing with an unstable person with firearms. They should re-route traffic from the Henday through there just to make things interesting.
I guess it beats harassing the innocent.

But to be fair, the EPS is much better than the RCMP.

Im glad I live in Edmonton and not that ridiculous police state called Sherwood Park where they have 3 (yes three) different police forces patrolling every nook and cranny.

I am thankful for the men and women of the EPS who put their lives on the line every day to protect us.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I agree. EPS has stepped it up big time over the past few years, at least in terms of their relations with the public. Better communication, not power tripping, More approachable and what not. RCMP is a complete joke though.

Last edited by Philly85: 06-18-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old
06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Again, I find this extremely offensive. I'm one of the youngest workers at my job site (There's one who's 20, and a couple who are 21-23), and I can do my job just as well as any of my older co-workers. Age is just a number in the real world.

As for the other information you're posting, is this true?
Interesting what you find "extrememely offensive"

You've lobbed every accusation you could think of at me in the other thread and in PM's and you refuse to acknowledge the statistical information on age cohort violent crime I linked to you. I know you got it, I know you looked at it. I know you said nothing in turn to acknowledge you're wrong.

But interestlngly while ignoring that info that entirely substantiates my take you continue to argue the topic here, until now, unbeknownst to me.

Plus to make matters worse you're a Winnipeg Jets fan!

Heres an interesting breakdown on violent crime and all crime across age if anybody is interested (note how much more statistically likely a 21yr old is to be committing some of the related offenses):

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...rrest93-01.pdf

Last edited by Replacement: 06-18-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old
06-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Interesting what you find offensive.

You've lobbed every accusation you could think of at me in the other thread and in PM's and you refuse to acknowledge the statistical information on age cohort violent crime I linked to you. I know you got it, I know you looked at it. I know you said nothing in turn to acknowledge you're wrong.

But interestlngly while ignoring that info that entirely substantiates my take you continue to argue the topic here, until now, unbeknownst to me.
I'm still trying to figure out how it's offensive.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how it's offensive.
Seemingly an inability to comprehend that statistics and probability do reveal significant differences in behaviors across ages and in criminal behaviors across ages and that have been recorded across nations, time, and as long as such data has been recorded.

But apparently I'm a prejudiced, bigot for suggesting a 21 yr is more likely to have a period of instability or engage in violent crime, murder, assault etc than a more mature candidate say 10-20 yrs older.

I don't blame the individual reaction though. For some reason in this day and age theres a notion that ANY suggestion of differences in people based on any variable is entirely unacceptable and we're all absolutely the same in every way. This is kind of the PC agenda that gets drilled into people these days. Damn any real information to the contrary.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-18-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old
06-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Seemingly an inability to comprehend that statistics and probability do reveal significant differences in behaviors across ages and in criminal behaviors across ages and that have been recorded across nations, time, and as long as such data has been recorded.

But apparently I'm a prejudiced, bigot for suggesting a 21 yr is more likely to have a period of instability or engage in violent crime, murder, assault etc than a more mature candidate say 10-20 yrs older.
Oh well I think the majority of people in here other than CN agree on this topic.

I mean it's age profiling but it happens. Currently I'm going through it myself. I'm trying to move up into a higher position right now and I know the position is between me(a mid-20's person, who is certified and has 5-6 years of experience in my profession which is limited at this point) and another fellow(a guy in his early 40's, who isn't certified, not looking to get certified but has a boat load more experience than me at this point).

I mean I hope to hell I get the job but I can completely understand if they decide to go with the other guy.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:19 PM
North Guy

This is a summary of the work experience/background of the victims in the Hub mall shootings:
Quote:
...Rejano (29) had been happy to start his job as an armed security officer with G4S Cash Solutions Canada because he aspired to a career in law enforcement. Rejano, who moved to Alberta from Ontario in 2007, ultimately wanted to join the Edmonton Police Service, she said.

...Shegelski, 26, was remembered by family and friends as a loving woman with an impish smile and a soft spot for her dogs. She lived in Edmonton with her husband, Victor, a former soldier who completed two tours of Afghanistan with the Canadian Forces. A cadet in her youth, when she dreamed of joining the military, Shegelski grew up in High Level, where her father, Peter Ernst, is the mayor. Health issues prevented her from joining the army, but she loved her work with G4S.

...Brian Ilesic’s (35) family in St. Albert was too shaken to provide details about him to the public. But a relative said more information would be released later.

...Schuman, a military firefighter, has been a full-time Air Force member since 2009, military spokeswoman Maj. Lena Angell said. Lt.-Col. John Reiffenstein, base commander of CFB Edmonton, issued a statement, expressing his sympathies to Schuman’s family. “Our focus right now is on providing support to the family of Corp. Schuman who is by his side at the University of Alberta Hospital as he undergoes treatment,” Reiffenstein said.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz1yBJwbtIL
If you were in charge of hiring for a major security firm, would you prefer to hire people with the credentials found in the article above?

Or would you rather hire a 21 year old who lives with his mom and is obsessed with violent video games?

Old
06-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy View Post
This is a summary of the work experience/background of the victims in the Hub mall shootings:

If you were in charge of hiring for a major security firm, would you prefer to hire people with the credentials found in the article above?

Or would you rather hire a 21 year old who lives with his mom and is obsessed with violent video games?
Yeah it still blows my mind how this guy was hired in the first place. Like I;ve said before I'm sure the companies hiring practices will change.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
North Guy

^ As expected G4S will review their policies and procedures:

Quote:
Security company probing Edmonton shooting with eye on improved safety

“In addition to the police investigation, we have flown out our own security experts as part of G4S internal investigation,” said Mr. Tallion.

“This is standard practice for any major incident. We do all review aspects to determine if there’s lessons to be learned and if there is, we will implement these changes as we go forward.”

Mr. Tallion did not take questions about what issues internal auditors would address or what recommendations could result in light of the attack, which occurred while G4S workers were refilling bank machines just after midnight Friday morning during a stop on the main university campus.

However, the union that represents the G4S security guards, as well as others in the industry in Alberta, suggested that more in-depth psychological analysis might be necessary to help weed out potentially dangerous employees.

Richard Eichel, the Calgary-based secretary, treasurer and principal officer for Teamsters Local 362, which represents the G4S workers across the Prairies, said the union has been fielding calls from across the country about how the workplace can be made safer.

“Do you do more psychological testing?” he said. “How much and how far do you go? Who knows.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4327230/

Old
06-18-2012, 04:27 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

Here's my question, how many candidates get turned away. Is it like every other industry in Edmonton that is struggling to keep employees?

Old
06-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

If I could add to this what I did on another board: Two of the individuals were trainees, another two had been with the firm for only 2-3months, and only Mrs Shegelski, had been a veteran with the particular firm. An outsourced global firm that pays typically low wages and benefits and in turn gets typically low commitment and an unending stream of recruitment and training.

This firm entrusted Baumgartner, who its known had bragged "wow I just got issued a gun, I wonder if I make the news If I start popping people off"

Yeah, they hired this guy and issued him a gun and didn't monitor what the whole world could see through his online profiles. Didn't assess the individuals suitability in any apparent way, didn't assess his mental stability, financial stability, financial records, nothing. They fully entrusted this guy to be walking around with upwards of half a million bucks and put a loaded semi-automatic gun in his lap.

I repeat Armed bank security guard is not entry level employment. It shouldn't even remotely be considered as such. In a different time and age not too long ago people were actually expected to have a security career before being entrusted with this level of bondability and security.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:34 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
If I could add to this what I did on another board: Two of the individuals were trainees, another two had been with the firm for only 2-3months, and only Mrs Shegelski, had been a veteran with the particular firm. An outsourced global firm that pays typically low wages and benefits and in turn gets typically low commitment and an unending stream of recruitment and training.

This firm entrusted Baumgartner, who its known had bragged "wow I just got issued a gun, I wonder if I make the news If I start popping people off"

Yeah, they hired this guy and issued him a gun and didn't monitor what the whole world could see through his online profiles. Didn't assess the individuals suitability in any apparent way, didn't assess his mental stability, financial stability, financial records, nothing. They fully entrusted this guy to be walking around with upwards of half a million bucks and put a loaded semi-automatic gun in his lap.

I repeat Armed bank security guard is not entry level employment. It shouldn't even remotely be considered as such. In a different time and age not too long ago people were actually expected to have a security career before being entrusted with this level of bondability and security.
Doesn't sound like a hiring problem as much as actual work policies.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Here's my question, how many candidates get turned away. Is it like every other industry in Edmonton that is struggling to keep employees?
Its directly proportional to what they pay:

G4S is recently quoted as paying a range of $11.58-24.94/hr for armed bank security guards. This being a relative senior position with the org ( I say relative as theres really no such thing) You should see what the firm pays rent a cops in malls and patrols.
The same armed bank security people have to work 10 yrs in order to get a paltry 3wk holiday increment.
The same firm has a turnstile of recruiting because they can't retain anybody because they don't pay valid wages and benefits commensurate with the positions, responsibilities and risks.

The problem isn't really getting employees, its paying enough to keep them, from a firm that is the second biggest international employer to Walmart according to some sources and that has made record obscene profits in every year of operation.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Doesn't sound like a hiring problem as much as actual work policies.
I called it earlier. Its the obscene face of race to the bottom outsourcing economics applied to the financial security sector.

Basically Mcjobs with guns. An extremely offensive org, with a lengthy history of PR problems the world over.

G4S has zero credibility in the UK where they come from. Unfortunately they're providing all the security for the London Olympics with many people questioning this.

Closed Thread