HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 06:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Gaborik will be out until December. He won't miss many or any games when the owners lockout the players on September 15.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:29 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Matheson wrote about this topic yesterday

Quote:
Do the Oilers have enough salesmanship in them to get Justin Schultz as a free agent, knowing they don't have an ex-University of Wisconsin teammate like the New York Rangers (Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan) or Toronto Maple Leafs (Jake Gardiner) to entice him? They can sell top-four minutes for the Hobey Baker finalist and, being close to his home in Kelowna, B.C., but this is really going to be crunch time for the Oilers. They need this kid badly.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...578/story.html

If the kid wants to play close to home,VAN is right there. Will VAN give Schultz the MAX salary and bonus package? $3,775,000. $925,000. $2,850,000.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:25 AM
eco's bones

Nash won't be a bargain if we trade for him. Between his cap hit and what goes back to Columbus it's going to cost a lot. You really have to believe in him as a player. He's very good but I don't believe that he's a guy that leads the way.

And we have a very good potential that the teams will be locked out anyway which would make Gaborik's absence for a couple months kind of moot. Following which we might have to bail on some players if the cap is lowered and Nash is on board.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Nash won't be a bargain if we trade for him. Between his cap hit and what goes back to Columbus it's going to cost a lot. You really have to believe in him as a player. He's very good but I don't believe that he's a guy that leads the way.

And we have a very good potential that the teams will be locked out anyway which would make Gaborik's absence for a couple months kind of moot. Following which we might have to bail on some players if the cap is lowered and Nash is on board.
..about as concise and well put as I've seen.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:47 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Craig Custance has Schultz as the 4th free agent available behind Suter,Parise and Garrison

Quote:
Drafted by the Anaheim Ducks in the second round of the 2008 draft, Schultz will hit free agency because he didn't sign with the Ducks during the 30-day window after he declared to the NCAA he was leaving school. He's eligible to sign an entry-level contract with any team on July 1 because of the same loophole that sent Blake Wheeler to the open market. That means the franchise that lands him will have to make a big-time recruiting pitch since entry-level contracts limit how much money he can earn.

He'll have no shortage of aggressive suitors including Vancouver, Toronto, Philadelphia, Detroit, Edmonton and the New York Rangers. Wisconsin continues to develop elite defenseman and Schultz could be the best of a group that includes Jamie McBain, Brendan Smith and Ryan McDonagh.

He's a right-handed shot, great skater and his game is polished enough that he can make the jump to the NHL immediately. There's not a player in this free-agent class who has more upside.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...agents-ranking

Old
06-18-2012, 03:22 PM
sfox7076

You know, I don't understand Anaheim here. Why not trade Schultz's rights to one of the interested teams. Even if you get a 7th round pick, it is better than nothing. If you told the Rangers we will trade you his rights for a conditional pick in 2013's draft: 2nd if he signs with you by June 25th or 7th if he doesn't, why don't the Rangers do it? Why doesn't Anaheim? I don't get it. Their window to do that form of trade is closing.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfox7076 View Post
You know, I don't understand Anaheim here. Why not trade Schultz's rights to one of the interested teams. Even if you get a 7th round pick, it is better than nothing. If you told the Rangers we will trade you his rights for a conditional pick in 2013's draft: 2nd if he signs with you by June 25th or 7th if he doesn't, why don't the Rangers do it? Why doesn't Anaheim? I don't get it. Their window to do that form of trade is closing.
Schultz' agent / advisor have told the Ducks that he'll be testing free agency no matter what. No team is going to trade for his rights knowing that he'll wait to speak to other teams regardless.

He obviously wants to see what teams have to say. I hope we have a good sales pitch ready for him.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Schultz' agent / advisor have told the Ducks that he'll be testing free agency no matter what. No team is going to trade for his rights knowing that he'll wait to speak to other teams regardless.

He obviously wants to see what teams have to say. I hope we have a good sales pitch ready for him.
Sounds like the agent is trying to drive up the price of the bonuses by creating competition.

Old
06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Sounds like the agent is trying to drive up the price of the bonuses by creating competition.
I think all teams involved are more than willing to offer max bonuses on the ELC. My own take is that Schultz wants to know first hand what each team can offer him in terms of playing time, and where they feel he can fit in.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I think all teams involved are more than willing to offer max bonuses on the ELC. My own take is that Schultz wants to know first hand what each team can offer him in terms of playing time, and where they feel he can fit in.
You're making the assumption that Schultz hasn't decided where he wants to play--I suspect he already has made that decision and is looking for leverage. Maybe it's over playing time (I don't think anyone will guarantee that without seeing him in training camp--although if he signs with a team like Edmonton or Philly, he's pretty much guaranteed to make the roster unless he comes to camp overweight and smoking cigars in the lockerroom), maybe it's over money.

Old
06-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
You're making the assumption that Schultz hasn't decided where he wants to play--I suspect he already has made that decision and is looking for leverage. Maybe it's over playing time (I don't think anyone will guarantee that without seeing him in training camp--although if he signs with a team like Edmonton or Philly, he's pretty much guaranteed to make the roster unless he comes to camp overweight and smoking cigars in the lockerroom), maybe it's over money.
Certainly possible. I just happen to think he has more than one option. Toronto, NYR, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc. So many places where I think he'll end up getting paid all the same. Just comes down to the right fit.

Old
06-18-2012, 05:00 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Certainly possible. I just happen to think he has more than one option. Toronto, NYR, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc. So many places where I think he'll end up getting paid all the same. Just comes down to the right fit.
Yes and no. He'll get the same contract, most likely, but if he ends up in the AHL he'll only be earning a fraction of it. So the best fit may be wherever he feels he has the best chance to earn a job. Assuming, of course, that it's only about the money.

He could have played for anaheim at the end of the year. He could have earned bonuses and burned a year off his ELC like Kreider did. If it was only about the money, I would think that would have appealed to him. Money may be a factor, but I don't think it's the only factor. Hopefully the Rangers have the right combination to entice him to sign. Friends from school, a good young team, and a legitimate opportunity for a roster spot. What more could he want?

Old
06-18-2012, 05:56 PM
sfox7076

His agent says whatever he says. His client decides. Give a 7th rounder and negotiate for a week. Worst that happens is we lose a late pick. Opportunity means more than that. We show we want him and are willing to do what it takes.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
His agent says whatever he says. His client decides. Give a 7th rounder and negotiate for a week. Worst that happens is we lose a late pick. Opportunity means more than that. We show we want him and are willing to do what it takes.
Why would any team give up a draft pick (and by the way, the Rangers do not have a 5th, 6th or
7th round pick this year--they were already traded) when the player has made it clear (through his agent) that he will not sign a contract until he can talk to every team that is interested in his services?

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 06-18-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old
06-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yes and no. He'll get the same contract, most likely, but if he ends up in the AHL he'll only be earning a fraction of it. So the best fit may be wherever he feels he has the best chance to earn a job. Assuming, of course, that it's only about the money.

He could have played for anaheim at the end of the year. He could have earned bonuses and burned a year off his ELC like Kreider did. If it was only about the money, I would think that would have appealed to him. Money may be a factor, but I don't think it's the only factor. Hopefully the Rangers have the right combination to entice him to sign. Friends from school, a good young team, and a legitimate opportunity for a roster spot. What more could he want?
To not be near the East Coast?

Seriously, a lot depends on whether Schultz is willing to gamble that he can win a roster spot right out of training camp and show enough to keep it throughout the season. Given the Rangers' track record, that is not guaranteed--he would have to work extra hard over the summer in order to make a good impression during the "boot camp" part of Tortorella's training camp and be poised enough not to make too many rookie mistakes. While I have no doubt this kid will ultimately be pretty good, he's never faced the kind of competition he's going to see when he arrives at (any) NHL training camp.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

They should fly him in and let him hang with Graves and Leetch for a day. Feed him a pastrami sandwich from Katz deli, then swing by the set of SNL later. Maybe give em the keys to Lundqvists car...Hit up Flashdancers on the way back, and then some good ole late night street food from one of the vendors. ..."The lights will make you feel brand new, these lights will inspire you!"

Old
06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
sfox7076

June 25 is after the draft, so it would be 2013. And why give up a pick? It gives you a better chance at signing him. It is all a negotiation. An Agent can say whatever he wants. It's a negotiating tactic. And a 7th round pick is worth a risk.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:51 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
June 25 is after the draft, so it would be 2013. And why give up a pick? It gives you a better chance at signing him. It is all a negotiation. An Agent can say whatever he wants. It's a negotiating tactic. And a 7th round pick is worth a risk.
june 25th everyone can talk to him you don't need to trade for his rights...for exclusive time negotiating with him you have to make the trade before then

Old
06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
june 25th everyone can talk to him you don't need to trade for his rights...for exclusive time negotiating with him you have to make the trade before then
Just gotta call and make an appointment.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:09 AM
egelband

Quote:
it seems logical to me that he has already chosen where he wants to play. the ducks are a solid franchise in a lovely place. if you reject playing there - not for money reasons - you probably have a reason and plan in place. i'd say...

Old
06-19-2012, 05:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The client decides after the agent gathers all of the offers and presents them to the player. The agency discuss those offers with the player. The agency can steer a player away from a team and to a team.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The client decides after the agent gathers all of the offers and presents them to the player. The agency discuss those offers with the player. The agency can steer a player away from a team and to a team.
Just out of curiosity, what are you replying to?

06-19-2012, 06:21 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you replying to?
Newport Sports had no interest in having Dallas trades the rights to Richards last year at this time. Schultz is a Newport Sports guy too. They want their guys to become free agents and talk to all of the teams. Not just 1 team.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:31 AM
sfox7076

But that is all a strategy, and just like any agency relationship, the client directs the agent. If Schultz is to get the max ELC, what else can a team offer but playing time? If I am a team willing to commit time to him, I make that trade 100x over to try to convince him to come to my team. Educate him on what our team does, the facilities, what is expected of him and what can be offered to him. Exclusivity is a big benefit in any negotiation.

Brad Richards was different. He could entertain offers from any team up to $12+ million a year and Richards had a NMC (which Schultz does not). Schultz is stuck with an ELC. This isn't a "test" of the market because the market is capped. At best, it is a test of whether a team will offer him guaranteed playing time (which I don't think can be built into a contract). So what does that mean? It is all about how he feels about the organization as a whole. Again, I want an exclusive week to get him the most information about our organization as possible rather than bidding in an open process.

So what do you offer? A 2nd round pick in 2013 if he signs with the NYR by June 25th (the exclusive period) or a 7th Round pick in 2013 if he does not (if he signs with us after 6/25 Anaheim only gets the 7th rounder) seems righty to me. And, as an fyi, the only people we have picked in round 7 or later in the last 10 years that have made it to the NHL are Peter Prucha and Ryan Russel. Here is the list:

7 226 Joey Crabb
8 240 Petr Prucha
9 270 Rob Flynn

7 209 Dylan Reese
8 243 Jan Marek

8 247 Jonathan Paiement
9 266 Jakub Petruzalek

7 211 Ryan Russell

7 204 Lukas Zeliska

7 193 David Skokan
7 198 Danny Hobbs

No pick

7 200 Mikhail Pashnin

7 190 Randy McNaught

No pick

Old
06-19-2012, 08:43 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
So what do you offer? A 2nd round pick in 2013 if he signs with the NYR by June 25th (the exclusive period) or a 7th Round pick in 2013 if he does not (if he signs with us after 6/25 Anaheim only gets the 7th rounder) seems righty to me.
I don't think that would work. They could agree to a contract on the 24th and file the papers on the 26th. Anaheim would never get the 2nd rounder and they would know that. If you are going to make it conditional, it has to be on the condition that he signs or doesn't sign, rather than when he signs.

Schultz's agent has made it pretty clear that they will talk to a bunch of teams. I think it would be a waste to trade for his rights. Come June 25th, make the best pitch you can and hope he signs here.

Closed Thread