Pavelec KHL

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Please keep him down for at least a full year...
We're not looking for a cup run for at least a year so let him develop further; he's not ready yet and pulling him up can stunt his growth.
Agreed.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
He won't go to the KHL unless the city has an Earls restaurant. Don't think they have a presence in Russia...
You know, that's why Jyrki Lumme signed for Phoenix.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Soooo why is Pavs and his agent so quiet about this rumor? Can a KHL compete with an NHL team salary wise?

Old
06-11-2012, 11:04 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Soooo why is Pavs and his agent so quiet about this rumor? Can a KHL compete with an NHL team salary wise?
As a team no but individual player contracts can compete with the NHL and are tax free.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Yes. KHL teams are owned by very wealthy people

Old
06-11-2012, 11:25 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
KHL clubs almost certainly don't break even on their operating costs. Generally they're owned by extravagantly wealthy elites who make their fortunes off of the privitization of the economy after the Soviet Union dissolved. Basically the people who invest into the KHL are so rich they essentially don't know what to do with their money, so they blow it on prestige money-funnels like professional sports.

They have the money to match any contract in the NHL.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

The NHL cannot compete with the KHL when it comes to salaries. You’d be hard pressed to find a KHL player who turned down a more lucrative contract from a NHL club. It’s a sweeping generality, but the KHL clubs are owned by oligarchs, people who were poised to capitalise on the switch from Communism, or have amassed their wealth since. It’s a plaything for them and a tax right off, not that taxes are much of a problem for them. It’s a status symbol, prestige. These same people were able to bribe FIFA into awarding the 2018 World Cup to Russia.

As for the competition, it’s a step below, but not a significant one. They’re far better than the CHL or AHL. There are also personal reasons that might appeal, such as Prague (Czech Republic), Bratislava (Slovakia), Riga (Latvia), St. Petersburg, Moscow (3 clubs), Donetsk (Ukraine), Minsk (Belarus), and Astana (Kazakhstan).

Old
06-15-2012, 02:56 PM
trebendan

Here's an article that includes "Pavelec to the KHL" from Peter Tessier:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter...Jets/161/44972

Pavelec's agent sounds like a real hard-baller. I hope the Jets aren't forced to trade Pavelec.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:29 PM
GaryinPrague

The rumour was him going to the KHL to play for lev poprad, which will now be in Prague. the team is owned by 2 different companies, no russian oligarchs. Since this team is a Czech team, he would have to pay Czech taxes, which are just a little bit better then US rates. So my guess is hsi agent just leaked a rumour to the press to try to get some leverage, but if you read between the lines its all bogus

Old
06-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryinPrague View Post
The rumour was him going to the KHL to play for lev poprad, which will now be in Prague. the team is owned by 2 different companies, no russian oligarchs. Since this team is a Czech team, he would have to pay Czech taxes, which are just a little bit better then US rates. So my guess is hsi agent just leaked a rumour to the press to try to get some leverage, but if you read between the lines its all bogus
Yep. I really see it as an agent negotiation thing, since he doesn't really have much leverage in this actual negotiation process (RFA, bad market for goaltenders, stats aren't helping his case).

I just don't see that Pavs would spend all that time coming up in the QMJHL, then the AHL, then basically just be at the beginning of his NHL career just to then burn off some NHL reputation by skipping off as an RFA to take a one-year KHL contract.

Besides, by all accounts he had a great year here and was looking forward to being back. Just the day before the KHL rumour emerged he told TSN he was looking forward to coming back.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:01 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
Here's an article that includes "Pavelec to the KHL" from Peter Tessier:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter...Jets/161/44972

Pavelec's agent sounds like a real hard-baller. I hope the Jets aren't forced to trade Pavelec.
When Pavelec won the Calder Cup with the Wolves, there was a lot of talk in Atlanta's press about Pavs saying that he earned his right for a spot with the Thrashers and would think about his future or leave Atlanta or something like that if they wouldn't play him in the NHL.

A lot of people said that was driven by his agent. I think a lot of quotes were made by him, not Pavelec.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Canucks fans on the trade board are already salivating over the idea of Kane or Bogosian for Schneider
Hah! You wish. You'd get Luongo for Kane.

Rumour has it he doesn't want to negotiate with Winnipeg.

Old
06-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Hah! You wish. You'd get Luongo for Kane.

Rumour has it he doesn't want to negotiate with Winnipeg.
Luongo for Kane? Good one, you have a career in stand up comedy in your future.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:55 AM
pcanuck

I would not overpay for Pavelec because he's due a RFA salary. HOWEVER, the Jets organization would be screwed if he signs in the KHL because we have absolutely NO way to fill this huge void. This is a brilliant move by Pav's agent to get Winnipeg to pay more than market value for the next two years.

Old
06-18-2012, 05:27 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
I would not overpay for Pavelec because he's due a RFA salary. HOWEVER, the Jets organization would be screwed if he signs in the KHL because we have absolutely NO way to fill this huge void. This is a brilliant move by Pav's agent to get Winnipeg to pay more than market value for the next two years.
According to dregger he wants 4 plus million long term to sign here. If that's the case he can have fun in the khl for all I'm concerned. He doesn't have anywhere near the track record to warrant anywhere near that amount.

Old
06-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
According to dregger he wants 4 plus million long term to sign here. If that's the case he can have fun in the khl for all I'm concerned. He doesn't have anywhere near the track record to warrant anywhere near that amount.
I had him more at a Craig Anderson deal - $12.75 over 4 yrs. Or somewhere between Anderson and Halak $15 mill over 4 yrs.

I think he'll be in that $3.5 mill range/yr over 4 yrs. That's not completely out of line. But a bit steep, until he proves he's a capable playoff goaltender.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:12 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I had him more at a Craig Anderson deal - $12.75 over 4 yrs. Or somewhere between Anderson and Halak $15 mill over 4 yrs.

I think he'll be in that $3.5 mill range/yr over 4 yrs. That's not completely out of line. But a bit steep, until he proves he's a capable playoff goaltender.
Both were more proven when they signed those deals though. I know stats arnt everything especially in Pav's case but they haven't been anything to write home about the last two years. IMO he hasn't done nearly enough to warrant borderline top 10 goalie money which is what he's trying to extort. Imo he shouldn't be making much my more than 3 mil a year.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:21 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I just posted this in the ufa thread

Cary price is just coming off a 2 yr 3.5 (or s) deal

Pavs should be getting no more then that.
As he isnt in the conversation with price

I say 3-3.5 over 3 years

Old
06-18-2012, 06:27 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I just posted this in the ufa thread

Cary price is just coming off a 2 yr 3.5 (or s) deal

Pavs should be getting no more then that.
As he isnt in the conversation with price

I say 3-3.5 over 3 years
When Price signed that contract he was coming off a 13-20-5 year. It likely would've been worth a lot more if he'd been playing like he is now.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Both were more proven when they signed those deals though. I know stats arnt everything especially in Pav's case but they haven't been anything to write home about the last two years. IMO he hasn't done nearly enough to warrant borderline top 10 goalie money which is what he's trying to extort. Imo he shouldn't be making much my more than 3 mil a year.
Ondrej Pavelec is in the EXACT same situation as Jonathan Quick a few years ago. Take a look...

Quick
Year - GP - GAA - SVP
07-08 - 3 - 3.85 - .855
08-09 - 44 - 2.48 - .914
09-10 - 72 - 2.54 - .907

Pavelec
Year - GP - GAA - SVP
08-09 - 12 - 3.60 - .880
09-10 - 42 - 3.29 - .906
10-11 - 58 - 2.73 - .914
11-12 - 68 - 2.91 - .906

I think signing him to much more than Quick got would be a mistake, Pavelec is more established but had not shown as much top end talent as Quick to that point.

Quick got 3 years, 1.8 million per season. Anything more than 2.5 is too much for Pavelec.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

It's not like we are up against the cap people, money doesn't matter for a short term contract in the Jets case.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:55 PM
MrWigglez

I really don't like players that use the KHL as a way to get more money. If hes unwilling to play here for less than 4 million a season then I think its time to look for a new starting goalie.

It sucks that were in this position now... He was fun to watch at times last season.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
It's not like we are up against the cap people, money doesn't matter for a short term contract in the Jets case.
That doesn't mean we should pay him and arm and a leg, though. Not to mention there are reports saying he wants a long-term deal.

I say give him a 2-3 year deal, I think he'll likely end up getting 3-4 million. Take him 1-2 years before his UFA status then if both sides see a fit, by all means go long-term, 5-6+ years and pay him accordingly.

06-18-2012, 07:05 PM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

4 millions is pretty hefty salary to pay for goalie, but I think Pavelec has kind of "game-breaker" inside of him, so he can win games alone for us. So 4M could be pretty close the max. value what I would give him.

But one thing is sure, he needs better competitor than Mason to play with him. With that we get max. potential out of Ondrej.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:40 PM
MrWigglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatsu View Post
4 millions is pretty hefty salary to pay for goalie, but I think Pavelec has kind of "game-breaker" inside of him, so he can win games alone for us. So 4M could be pretty close the max. value what I would give him.

But one thing is sure, he needs better competitor than Mason to play with him. With that we get max. potential out of Ondrej.
He does have the potential to be a very good goalie no doubt. But I strongly dislike a player that uses leaving town while hes still an RFA as a way to get more money out of a team. He has the potential to be good, but he hasn't shown great consistency yet.

Closed Thread