HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 120 rankings

Old
06-18-2012, 08:47 AM
S Bah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Thank you for blessing us with your nonsensical polysyllabic rants, you are really contributing to the subject. I know where you can get some great mirror polish, I have a feeling you have lots of them.
Well bless my soul that's a really different slant than the usual dribble.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:52 AM
jwolf

Quote:
Immediate need? On the Islanders? Their need is from the blueline back now and in the future.

I think the Islanders would be remiss to once again pick a forward over a defenceman in the top 10. JT, Okposo, Strome, Bailey, Neidereitter...it's time to add a top two defenceman to that mix, while adding another asset or two.

Burke will likely offer plenty for the right to move up one spot so he can have yet another enigmatic winger. If he thinks he can build a champion around Kessel and Yakupov....I could see them having some great regular season production and then disappearing in the playoffs...and in a few years Yakupov getting tired of the TO media scrutiny and bolting for the KHL.

I actually hope the draft goes down that way.
If the draft does indeed go down that way, I take Galchenyuk and run without ever looking back regardless of where "the Nail" falls.

The player that worries me the most is Grigorenko. With his incredible skill set and size at center, it's entirely possible that this kid turns into a Malkin type before long.

Grant, is it out of line to assume that Grigo is in the midst of putting all his ducks in a row as a pro hockey player and will be ready to turn it on in the next season or two? Couturier suffered from similar detractions last year and turned into a very important player for the Flyers as an 18 year-old.

I'm a proponent of choosing based on my own criteria and regrets be damned, but not before asking every possible question. Especially when dealing with special talent like this.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:02 AM
FisherKing

Really enjoyed reading your list and input Grant. Of course your list and predictions on the way the draft might come down might, if true, leave me a little red faced on my Grigs to Habs prediction, but I can live with that. One thing seems certain, Habs should walk away with a great propect at #3. By the way, I share exactly the same concerns with Yakupov as you have indicated and would not be at all upset if he falls to the Habs at #3 and Timmins opts for someone else. As I said in the draft thread, I could see Yakupov "picking up his toys and going home" to Russia if things don't go his way. Just seems the type to me, but perhaps I'm being unfair. Just a feeling...

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:25 PM
tlureb

Quote:
Thank you for blessing us with your nonsensical polysyllabic rants, you are really contributing to the subject. I know where you can get some great mirror polish, I have a feeling you have lots of them.
If I were an honest-to-goodness, expatriate Russian Hockey player, God helps me, I'd have a permanent fix on the rear-view mirror, highly polished...as you say...with local pundit-repellent.

tlureb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:11 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
I actually hope the draft goes down that way.
Totally agree, although I'd hope we did everything we could to try and trade back into the first for Grigorenko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
The player that worries me the most is Grigorenko. With his incredible skill set and size at center, it's entirely possible that this kid turns into a Malkin type before long.
This.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
If the draft does indeed go down that way, I take Galchenyuk and run without ever looking back regardless of where "the Nail" falls.

Grant, is it out of line to assume that Grigo is in the midst of putting all his ducks in a row as a pro hockey player and will be ready to turn it on in the next season or two? Couturier suffered from similar detractions last year and turned into a very important player for the Flyers as an 18 year-old.

I'm a proponent of choosing based on my own criteria and regrets be damned, but not before asking every possible question. Especially when dealing with special talent like this.
I don't think you can compare Grigs to Malkin and Couturier...a huge difference in how hard they competed in their draft year. Couturier and Malkin were not averse to taking a hit. If I were to compare Grigs to someone it would be Joe Colborne.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
I don't think you can compare Grigs to Malkin and Couturier...a huge difference in how hard they competed in their draft year. Couturier and Malkin were not averse to taking a hit. If I were to compare Grigs to someone it would be Joe Colborne.
You chose to put Reinhart ahead of Rielly and Trouba. Could you give an explanation about what you like about the way Reinhart plays and what you see as lacking with Rielly or Trouba.

I would prefer either Rielly or Trouba with the Habs over Reinhart, maybe other teams see it differently.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Bob Mac sent me his rankings today. Well - Bob's list isn't going to help my case - he has Gally fifth and TT seventh. He did tell me however that there are teams that really like both, and think they may have more upside than Yakupov.

In general I like Bob's rankings. His top 28 are in my top 30, and his 30th ranked prospect I have ranked 31st. We only really disagree on Pearson.

I look forward to revisiting the rankings in five years time and seeing how I did.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Bob Mac sent me his rankings today. Well - Bob's list isn't going to help my case - he has Gally fifth and TT seventh. He did tell me however that there are teams that really like both, and think they may have more upside than Yakupov.

In general I like Bob's rankings. His top 28 are in my top 30, and his 30th ranked prospect I have ranked 31st. We only really disagree on Pearson.

I look forward to revisiting the rankings in five years time and seeing how I did.
Is he a Grigorenko fan?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:19 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:

I'm mostly watching to catch his 20-30. Really hoping one of Matteau, Thrower, Kerdiles, maybe even Jankowski fall to our pick.

Everything I've heard about this draft has lead me to believe that there is a lot of variance between teams' top 5's.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Is he a Grigorenko fan?
Umm...no. He's dropped 10 spots in his rankings. I warned you guys in February. :-)

Old
06-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Umm...no. He's dropped 10 spots in his rankings. I warned you guys in February. :-)
Just wanted to know before the fire breaks out here.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

I can't see Washington passing up on Grigorenko at 11th.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I can't see Grigorenko out of the top 8.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:07 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Reinhart at 4 is the biggest no-no to me. Collberg being that low strikes me as well.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

I thought Galchenyuk and TT would be higher, but TT did rise 21 spots, certainly the most significant riser on his list.

I was a little surprised to see Reinhart that high, but folks are always intrigued by a 6-4 defenceman with a good shot who can skate like Griffin. Collberg at 27 doesn't work for me. Yes the NHL is a copycat league and the Kings had lots of tall forwards, but surely they don't all have Collberg that low because he's slightly undersized.. There is still room on plenty of NHL teams for top six forwards under 6-0 tall. I'm not sure there was a better draft eligible prospect than Collberg at the U-20's..some scouts seem to have short memories.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:34 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
I thought Galchenyuk and TT would be higher, but TT did rise 21 spots, certainly the most significant riser on his list.

I was a little surprised to see Reinhart that high, but folks are always intrigued by a 6-4 defenceman with a good shot who can skate like Griffin. Collberg at 27 doesn't work for me. Yes the NHL is a copycat league and the Kings had lots of tall forwards, but surely they don't all have Collberg that low because he's slightly undersized.. There is still room on plenty of NHL teams for top six forwards under 6-0 tall. I'm not sure there was a better draft eligible prospect than Collberg at the U-20's..some scouts seem to have short memories.
Do you notice that big centers like Faksa, Giegensons move up on the ranking?

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Beendair Donedat

Interesting list, but I don't understand your obsession with Terravainen. Waiting 5 years on a top 3 pick seems pretty pointless to me.

Beendair Donedat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Interesting list, but I don't understand your obsession with Terravainen. Waiting 5 years on a top 3 pick seems pretty pointless to me.
I don't think you're understanding the concept. No top 5 pick will take 5 years to get to the NHL but it may take 5 years to hit their prime. Guys like Murray and Yakupov will probably hit theirs in 2-3 years being morte polished and late birthdays.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think you're understanding the concept. No top 5 pick will take 5 years to get to the NHL but it may take 5 years to hit their prime. Guys like Murray and Yakupov will probably hit theirs in 2-3 years being morte polished and late birthdays.

I would bet on both Forsberg and TT playing in the NHL in 2 years. That doesn't necessarily mean we will see what they are really capable of right away. And really, the only ones who will be any different are Yakupov and Murray. Unless you want to go the low risk, low reward route and draft Gauce or something.

The other guys just aren't physically ready yet.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Five years? He will likely be playing in the NHL in a couple of years, three at the most. That is what you do when you draft a player..wait five years to see their full potential. You do not judge a draft two or three years afterwards. I've never said he won't play in the NHL for five years. Nugent-Hopkins played in the NHL this season at what....165 pounds? TT is 169 pounds.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Claude Giroux was so thin that he was suppose to be annihilated after his 1st season and be quitting to try bowling or minature golf....At one point, skills surpass size. TT is so elusive and intelligent that he will do fine. Of course, if he can improve his frame and all, he'd be even scarrier. But he is top 5 material in this draft.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Claude Giroux was so thin that he was suppose to be annihilated after his 1st season and be quitting to try bowling or minature golf....At one point, skills surpass size. TT is so elusive and intelligent that he will do fine. Of course, if he can improve his frame and all, he'd be even scarrier. But he is top 5 material in this draft.
Yeah, and he does draw some comparisons to Giroux. Also heard Sakic comparisons, and Kane. If he turns out like any of those guys, he's not only a top 5 player in this draft, he's a top two.

I know Maatta had a solid playoff run, but was a little surprised to see him crack the top ten ahead of Grigorenko. Skill-wise there is no comparison, and there are issues with his skating. Not only that but Maatta is not someone who will punish you, he throws very few hits. I like Maatta and think he'll be a solid NHLer, but he's not without some concerns.

I'm also not convinced that Faksa and Girgensons will be offensive players at the NHL level, so I think ranking them higher than the teens is a reach. Both are great away from the puck, are big, smart and compete, but I don't know that they're second-line NHLers on a good team down the line.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Yeah, and he does draw some comparisons to Giroux. Also heard Sakic comparisons, and Kane. If he turns out like any of those guys, he's not only a top 5 player in this draft, he's a top two.

I know Maatta had a solid playoff run, but was a little surprised to see him crack the top ten ahead of Grigorenko. Skill-wise there is no comparison, and there are issues with his skating. Not only that but Maatta is not someone who will punish you, he throws very few hits. I like Maatta and think he'll be a solid NHLer, but he's not without some concerns.

I'm also not convinced that Faksa and Girgensons will be offensive players at the NHL level, so I think ranking them higher than the teens is a reach. Both are great away from the puck, are big, smart and compete, but I don't know that they're second-line NHLers on a good team down the line.
By the way, not sure if I said it but great list. Agree most of the time, disagree on others, not important, your list is overall very good. Good job. Just want to say this though....people will regret having Fournier so low. Yet, I totally agree with you on Athanasiou and Marcantuoni who even in some cases are too high for my liking but are in NO WAY 2nd round material. Don't see Athanasiou making it, and Marcantuoni seems to be Esposito V.2.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Et le But

Quote:

Maatta is one of my favourite defenders in this draft, what he might lack in any one standout skill he makes up for in being so rounded, but a team would have to really want to play it safe to take him that high, in my opinion.

I think he deserves to go in the teens but top 10 seems to be a stretch to me. I guess his excellent playoffs sold him.