HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Alexander Semin

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
I feel pretty confident when i say the Flames will be giving a nice offer to Alex Semin, He fits Feasters plan very well and Fills a giant hole at the second line RW. I can see the flames offering 6 million for 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Feaster will be looking to make a splash come July, 1st. I could see him offering Semin more than any other team out there to acquire his services (ie. 3 years, 6 million per)
Given Semin's supposed complaints about being underused while playing on the Caps' second line and his poor english skills, please explain to me why he would sign with a non-playoff team on the other side of the continent without a single Russian, where he would still be on the second line and would have an even worse situation at center and even less help on his line than in DC (which is really saying something)? I can hardly think of a less likely situation for Semin.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:17 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
You really think every team with space is willing to spend ~20 million on lazy russian guy? Any team that is not Detroit considering Semin should let go of their GM. I can only see Detroit being able to have Semin maximize his potential. And I am not exactly a Red Wings nuthugger.
The Red Wings are not a team known for "recuperetion project". So why would they be the only one willing and able to do so?

Old
06-18-2012, 06:20 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
What a surprise, lol

ALL THE GOOD FREE-AGENTS GO TO DETROIT

Money talks, and Detroit has $26M to spread out among 2 defenseman and 2 forwards. It wouldnt be shocking to see them add Suter and one of Parise or Semin, simply because they have the bidding power (and willingness) to do so.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:22 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Fair point. But there are also assumptions one can make. Semin will likely ask for 4-5 million. Since short term contracts seem a thing for 35+ guys nowadays, you can expect him to want at least 4 years. There have been questions about his work ethic for years now. Add to that that the guy doesn't do any interviews, so he can't help your franchise in the PR department.

Considering all this, how many NHL Franchises do you see lining up for that package?
He may not help with PR, but will sell a lot of jerseys.

He could ask for a long term deal, but where is your proof? He has been signing one year deals. He could do the same again, so he can boost his numbers back up in an offensive system.

I think a lot of teams will be lining up for that. I still say he resigns with the Caps after they go with an offensive system. If they are truly kicking the tires on Yakupov, you have to think they are looking that way.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
MalcontentCapsFan

I think the Caps are waiting until July 1st to make their pitch. I think Semin values the comfort of DC over a bigger contract elsewhere. He will listen to other offers, but comes back to the Caps for far less than the $6.7m he made last year.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
The Red Wings are not a team known for "recuperetion project". So why would they be the only one willing and able to do so?
Dan Cleary? Patrick Eaves? Drew Miller? Ty Conklin? Darren McCarty? Dallas Drake? Todd Bertuzzi? Mike Modano?

If a player fits a need when we need it, Holland has no problem taking a "risk" on "damaged goods" if you want to call Alex Semin that.

Detroit happens to be particularly interested in several things up front: top 6 scoring, speed, a right handed shot, and physicality. Semin fits 3/4 of those needs in one fell swoop.

Any team looking to spend money on a top 6 winger is going to target Parise first, and go after Semin as the consolation prize. Detroit will be no different.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:29 PM
jayball75

The two Alex's semin and Kovalev in Montreal to play with plekanec

Old
06-18-2012, 06:41 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcontentCapsFan View Post
I think the Caps are waiting until July 1st to make their pitch. I think Semin values the comfort of DC over a bigger contract elsewhere. He will listen to other offers, but comes back to the Caps for far less than the $6.7m he made last year.
the caps didnt treat him very well in his last few years here, i think he'd like to stay but it all depends on the coach

Old
06-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Yeah he is a perfect fit...not only doesn't he speak french, he doesn't even speak english
He knows English, he just doesn't like doing interviews.

Quote:
Fair point. But there are also assumptions one can make. Semin will likely ask for 4-5 million. Since short term contracts seem a thing for 35+ guys nowadays, you can expect him to want at least 4 years. There have been questions about his work ethic for years now. Add to that that the guy doesn't do any interviews, so he can't help your franchise in the PR department.

Considering all this, how many NHL Franchises do you see lining up for that package?
If he's only asking for 4-5M, almost every team will be in on him. He's going to not only ask for, but get $6M+. Ville Leino got $4.5M for six years last year, when his career totals were less than what Semin has done in individual seasons.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:59 PM
zombi
I D D Q D

vCash: 567
There is no way that Semin goes to a non-playoff team or a team with zero high-caliber Russians.

I hate to sound like a broken record here, but it's Detroit, Washington, or the KHL.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Flames1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi View Post
There is no way that Semin goes to a non-playoff team or a team with zero high-caliber Russians.

I hate to sound like a broken record here, but it's Detroit, Washington, or the KHL.
How do you know this? Are you Alex Semin? I love how here of HF boards every player is going to get signed by detriot. Alex Semin will sign to presumably whoever throws him the most cash, whether that is detroit or whether that is colorado i really do not think he minds. All that is important to him is that he gets paid and plays hockey.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:07 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:

Why does he hate Malkin?

Old
06-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Burke the Legend

Montreal might make a bid, he'd be a good fit on a line as a sniper playing with Plekanec & Gionta.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Mahleezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Semin has Montreal written all over him.
How do you figure?

You really think Montreal wants a more expensive problem?

Wasn't 4 years of AK enough??

No way Montreal signs Semin at 6+ million!!

Last edited by Majik1987: 06-18-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: flaming
Old
06-18-2012, 08:41 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Vancouver. At least I'd hope so.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:57 PM
GossomeRwing

I am hoping the Caps and Semin can work things out

I have alway been a fan of Semin's
Semin came to the Fairfax ice rink to play with some fellow Russians I thought that was really cool.

that being said there is no way the Caps can replace Semin IMO

the Caps need to make some trades and bring in a legitimate 2nd line center

How about this trade
Mike Green for Krejci

Boston powerplay was terrible last season
Krejci and Green salary would be a wash

Old
06-18-2012, 09:09 PM
MalcontentCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
the caps didnt treat him very well in his last few years here, i think he'd like to stay but it all depends on the coach
Semin was a treated fairly in my opinion. He was given good top 6 minutes and PP/PK time despite his inconsistency or penalty/play problems. He was rarely benched for long stretches.

Washington has been trying to get that 50+50=100 season out of him for years, and they got frustrated as did the fans, because he is so incredibly talented.

Semin's biggest problem isn't the lack of playing time or his lack of quality linemates. Its that he too often looks for a better angle, a better play, a better shot, and makes another move before passing the puck to a teammate instead of taking the shot. He started doing this to quiet the complaints that he was a puck hog that didn't use his linemates, and now its lead to wasted opportunities because he isn't releasing that deadly shot, quickly on net.

If he got his shot off each time, and got it on net instead of high and wide, and did it all a half step quicker, he would challenge for the Richard every year.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:11 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Flyers may have interest to play with Roo if Jagr walks, and we can't get Zach attack.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
You've clearly been following the Wings about as long as you've been following the English language....

Old
06-18-2012, 09:14 PM
LSnow

Quote:
Semin was a treated fairly in my opinion. He was given good top 6 minutes and PP/PK time despite his inconsistency or penalty/play problems. He was rarely benched for long stretches.

Washington has been trying to get that 50+50=100 season out of him for years, and they got frustrated as did the fans, because he is so incredibly talented.

Semin's biggest problem isn't the lack of playing time or his lack of quality linemates. Its that he too often looks for a better angle, a better play, a better shot, and makes another move before passing the puck to a teammate instead of taking the shot. He started doing this to quiet the complaints that he was a puck hog that didn't use his linemates, and now its lead to wasted opportunities because he isn't releasing that deadly shot, quickly on net.

If he got his shot off each time, and got it on net instead of high and wide, and did it all a half step quicker, he would challenge for the Richard every year.
He needs a someone to make space for him to be effective, he is beyond useless to try something on his own.. That why i think Datsyuk's wing would be ideal for him..

Old
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
MalcontentCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
He needs a someone to make space for him to be effective, he is beyond useless to try something on his own.. That why i think Datsyuk's wing would be ideal for him..
Caps could easily offer him a cap friendly contract with a private assurance that if he plays like a top line winger, they will keep him on the top line with Ovechkin and Backstrom. IF that was his big concern, but I think all that is just a smoke screen to avoid a drop off in salary, by his agent.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:31 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up in Detroit
Soo true !!

Old
06-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:

Dude, he's trying too hard because he (rightfully) doesn't trust his linemates. He's never had a consistent linemate who could put the puck in the net or distribute it. Throughout his time in Washington, the second line has been Semin and a parade of over the hill vets (Federov, Morrison), 2nd/3rd line tweeners (Laich, Belanger), and developing players (Johansson, Perrault, Eakin). He's never once had a linemate that's even close to his talent level, and I think as a player that'd be pretty damn frustrating.

No, he's never had a long stretch of being benched, but he's just about the only top player who's been benched at all for any reason. When Carlson and Wideman were sucking it up this year with Schultz waiting in the wings, they were never benched. When Ovie started off the first third of the year on a 50 point pace, he was never benched. Green's never been benched for his play. Semin is the only guy management felt was unimportant enough to bench. When a player is singled out that way, I'd again imagine that was pretty damn frustrating.

And he hasn't been allowed to PK for a couple years now. Which is pretty inexplicable, because he was damn good at it. The last year he was on the PK, the Caps scored more shorthanded goals than they allowed powerplay goals during his 72 shorthanded minutes. Think about how ridiculous that is for a minute. This year, he had 1:09 of PK time. I think you get the picture. The Caps have done a pretty damn could job of making him feel unappreciated and untrusting. Still, I'm holding out hope that we'll trade for a real 2C like Pavelski, Plekanec, or Ribiero before the draft to convince him to stay. I think he'd like to stay with Ovie, in one of the most Russian friendly cities in the NHL. If we get him a center and offer him a long term deal, I think he might even leave some money on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Funny, because as I said above, he's been alone his whole career. Outside of PPs and late game desperation, Semin has seen very little time with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:56 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:

We have humangous big Bryzgoalie. He is the Russian Tiger superstars

Old
06-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Lacoste

Here is some good article about Semin:
http://hockeyanalysis.com/2012/06/15...ed-free-agent/

Closed Thread