HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we tank for MacKinnon?

Old
06-18-2012, 07:23 PM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
This thread is stupid. Somebody lock it.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
I'm of the decided opinion to say yes.
Maybe not exactly tank but could end up with him or another top draftee from '13 draft. A friend of mine his son plays in NHL. Was over to his house Sunday night for dinner, his son's agent told him this week to expect lock-out this fall. Now, I'm not saying it will wipe out season again like '04 but you never can tell by this stuff.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Let the season unfold as it will. We won't know which draft was the strong one 4 to 10 years from now. I'd like to win a cup before then. I love how all these HF anal-ists pretend to know what the future is around here.
I'm thinking this draft will be key to our future cup win regardless, and this will be deemed the strong draft in retrospect.
But hey, that's just me.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:26 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

1. Professional athletes or most people with an ounce of competitive spirit don't go into anything looking to FAIL, especially on PURPOSE!

2. if you even REMOTELY think Molson will go down anything resembling last years crapolla, you should just spend your time watching some other form of reality TV.

3. If you believe "tanking" is a way to attract UFAs which you also need then please take up my suggestion on point 2.

Can a mod please close this thread, it's about as asinine as it gets. The same person who started this thread will probably be predicting we'll win out division if we win 3 exhibition games in a row.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:20 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
1. Professional athletes or most people with an ounce of competitive spirit don't go into anything looking to FAIL, especially on PURPOSE!

2. if you even REMOTELY think Molson will go down anything resembling last years crapolla, you should just spend your time watching some other form of reality TV.

3. If you believe "tanking" is a way to attract UFAs which you also need then please take up my suggestion on point 2.

Can a mod please close this thread, it's about as asinine as it gets. The same person who started this thread will probably be predicting we'll win out division if we win 3 exhibition games in a row.
1. Of course not but if they have a bad start, with a few trades to help, it is possible to recreate a tank nation.

2. I wonder how you know what Molson is thinking. With that said, all we can guess is that Molson wants success for his business. Many roads lead to success and tanking is one of them.

3. UFAs sign with teams that can win the cup or that pay big bucks. If the HABS can get a couple of young studs to complement suban/price/etc. Yes, they will come

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:28 PM
NORiculous

Btw, I'm not saying the HABs should or not tank but I do think that it is a proven option. I don't mind the path that is chosen if it brings Stanley home.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
In your list, Habs should keep Cole and DD and lose the rest.
DD is a keeper, he isn't on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
This would definitively be tanking. First 3 maybe not but once you add Gionta, Cole and Markov and you talk about shedding cap etc then yes this would be tanking.
Well these guys are in the mid 30s. I'm not talking about Gorges or Plekanec. If the right offer comes along which would allow them to shed cap for off season 2013 (Pacioretty/DD contract renewal),

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

There's no reason to close this thread. The title is clear and if you don't like it then just be on your merry way. Same thing with the Ecklund thread or the soccer thread.

This is a discussion forum and no one that I can see is being disrespectful to anyone else.

We don't know what Bergevin or Molson are planning to or are going to do. If Molson is serious about bringing the Stanley Cup to Montreal this is one of the few viable ways to do it.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Man its a drag to see these types of threads posted on our boards now..

For me it was truly the only terrible thing about finishing dead last, ..is how people might want to do it AGAIN and again.. im considering myself lucky for forgetting much of last season already, but it still lingers, and we all know it was just absolutely horrible going through the season, you could see alot of people got disinteressted, and sometimes people have a right to be, we're allowed to expect more from this franchise as fans, thats just what history has created and everyone has to deal with it

hopefully molson knows what hes doing and is on the right track, the seeds are being placed and lets see what therrien can do with a team constructed by a rookie GM (and of course with the help of a ghost GM from last year)

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:30 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

The problem with ''tanking'' (not talking about throwing games but rather keeping the team weak purposely to draft better. I assume thats what some people want) is that it is not the best solution for a team like the Habs. To fail next year we need to trade our good veterans, guys like Gionta, Markov, Cole and Plekanec. Doing so reduces our chances to be competitive for the next 2-3 years while a lot of our very good young players are entering their primes. We could end up having to start all over again without progressing at all. The Habs have a good scouting team and in the long run *can* rely on it to bring in good players. Subban would have been a top5 pick if we re-made that draft. McDonagh as well and maybe Pacioretty. At the same time top5 picks are never guaranteed to succeed or be better than a great 2nd round pick. An average/good team that doesn't sell or give up on its young players and drafts well is far closer to success than a terrible team with a history of failure. Its nice to look at teams who have a couple top draft picks and won the cup but there are many lottery teams that barely got a sniff at the playoff in a decade.

There are not that many holes in this team. None that absolutely require another top pick except at forward and we are likely to select one this year. Of course the team is FAR from perfect but a couple of key free agents (not necessarily star but rather well chosen and useful players, like Cole was) this year and next along with strategic trades would be a lot more effective.

As a Habs fan I don't want to live trough another season like last year. I can only imagine how awful that year must have been for the players. For now Bergevin should build a solid team built for the playoffs without mortgaging the future, preparing it to become a contender within a few years. The only justification for selling at the deadline in order to drop in the standings would be if the team ends up doing extremely poorly.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 06-18-2012 at 11:35 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

It's time to become a younger team. The younger guys like Subban, Price, Eller and Pacioretty see the world a lot differently than Pleks, Gionta and Markov.

There's nothing wrong with having a young, cool hip thing going on in Montreal. Nothing at all.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:58 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
It's time to become a younger team. The younger guys like Subban, Price, Eller and Pacioretty see the world a lot differently than Pleks, Gionta and Markov.

There's nothing wrong with having a young, cool hip thing going on in Montreal. Nothing at all.
Its not like Plekanec, Gionta and Markov are ancestors you know. These guys are still on the good side of their 30ies, they are young. Physically their bodies are older and they are certainly more mature, have kids ect. It doesn't mean they are antiquated and useless, the experience of veterans and their perfected abilities are very useful to an hockey team as long as their bodies hold up.

Just like teams made up entirely of veterans rarely make it very far due to lack of youthful enthousiasm and energy very young teams need good veterans for guidance and stability. I think Gionta, Plekanec and Markov are aware by now that the torch is being passed to that young core of Subban, Pacio and Price. It probably makes it all the more interesting and fun for them.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:39 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
1. Of course not but if they have a bad start, with a few trades to help, it is possible to recreate a tank nation.

2. I wonder how you know what Molson is thinking. With that said, all we can guess is that Molson wants success for his business. Many roads lead to success and tanking is one of them.

3. UFAs sign with teams that can win the cup or that pay big bucks. If the HABS can get a couple of young studs to complement suban/price/etc. Yes, they will come
1. We did not recreate tank nation, we had incompetent management.
2. Molson will not lose to win, because it flies against what this franchise has stood for over 100 years.
3. Teams with losing cultures don't attract winners.

Tanking is not a strategy, it's idiotic!

Everyone wants McKinnon, but you don't lose to do it.

Last edited by nyhabsfan: 06-19-2012 at 05:57 AM.
nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Btw, I'm not saying the HABs should or not tank but I do think that it is a proven option. I don't mind the path that is chosen if it brings Stanley home.
It's not a proven option at all. No NHL team has ever gained success by deciding to lose before the season has even started.

Quote:
If the HABS can get a couple of young studs to complement suban/price/etc.
You mean to replace Subban and Price, right? Or do you think they are the kind of losers that will be happy to stick around a team that would espouse such a ridiculous philosophy?

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
habshound247

If there was to be an extended lockout similar to the last one in 2004, the NHL would use a random lottery again. So it is unlikely MacKinnon would end up in Montreal (1/30 chance), but u never know.

habshound247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
If there was to be an extended lockout similar to the last one in 2004, the NHL would use a random lottery again. So it is unlikely MacKinnon would end up in Montreal (1/30 chance), but u never know.
Less than 1 in 30. Last time there were 45 balls in the lottery. If the exact same criteria Montreal would have one ball again (2 play off appearances in past 3 years). Can't be bothered to work out all the teams to calculate how many balls there would be altogether!

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:32 AM
sharks9

Not a chance. This season was hell to watch and I never want to experience anything like it ever again.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:22 AM
yianik

We do have a number of good pieces. Add in a top 4 , big , physical defensive D-man and add a top 6 winger ( since we got rid of alot of ours) and we are back in the play-offs I think. There is also our 3rd pick who may or may not be able to play this year. I dont want a tank attitude going into the season, I want to win games. So no to any going into the season with a lets finish at the bottom plan. As said before , MB and Therrien certainly wouldnt have that mindset and Molson wouldnt either. Now if by chance we are horrible, then trade for picks when the writing is on the wall and let the chips fall where they might.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Not going to happen with a complete new staff on board. This will not be tolerated in Montreal, not for more than 1 year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:27 AM
stubbadub

MacKinnon chooses where he wants to play. He did that with Rouyn-Noranda like Lindros did to Saulte Ste. Marie. Hopefully Montreal will be that team. We'd have to give up assets, of course. Something along the lines of two firsts, or a first and a good player.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

If there is a lockout next year, a bit of luck in the lottery we might have a great shot. If there is a season, like I said doubt it we repeat this pathetic season especially with a healthy Markov to start the year

Old
06-19-2012, 11:35 AM
habitue*

Quote:

This word should be BANNED on this board... Same as EKLUND !!!!

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If there is a lockout next year, a bit of luck in the lottery we might have a great shot. If there is a season, like I said doubt it we repeat this pathetic season especially with a healthy Markov to start the year
That's what I think, too. Otherwise, let's stop using that ugly and stupid word "TANKING"

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
That's what I think, too. Otherwise, let's stop using that ugly and stupid word "TANKING"
Agreed but it's a term we use here, no big deal. I'd have a problem if it would be for a few seasons but in our case it's really the 1st time in a long time

Old
06-19-2012, 01:30 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Man its a drag to see these types of threads posted on our boards now..

For me it was truly the only terrible thing about finishing dead last, ..is how people might want to do it AGAIN and again.. im considering myself lucky for forgetting much of last season already, but it still lingers, and we all know it was just absolutely horrible going through the season, you could see alot of people got disinteressted, and sometimes people have a right to be, we're allowed to expect more from this franchise as fans, thats just what history has created and everyone has to deal with it

hopefully molson knows what hes doing and is on the right track, the seeds are being placed and lets see what therrien can do with a team constructed by a rookie GM (and of course with the help of a ghost GM from last year)
i totally agree, there is other ways to build a team than just losing all the time. I would not be able to endure another s***ty year like that

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote