HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs interested in signing Jagr

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
  #126
SmurfsFTW
Wait.. WUT ?!
 
SmurfsFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
agree with that to a degree, but thing is that as we stand we have 2 "open" spots in the top-9, I'd rather see us add a solid veteran/established player, and then let Leblanc/Palushaj/Geoffrion/Gallgaher be in competition for the final spot & get opportunities as injury call ups.

MaxPac
Cole
Gionta
Bourque
???
???


from a competitive stand point, adding a Jagr (or someone else who would be pencilled in as a top-9 winger) would be very good from a depth pov, and doesn't preclude Therrien from allowing camp competition to lead to Bourque getting supplanted by a young player and starting the year in the AHL.
Wait... What ?

So, we have a player who scored 25+ goals multiple times, and we have rookies, that can't even pot 25 in the AHL... And you want our new coach to put the multiple 25+ in the AHL to try some young players ? Are you for real ?

Am I reading it clearly or am I dreaming ? Don't you think Therrien would want to find Bourque some chemistry, for, at least, half a season before throwing the towel on Bourque ? Do you really think one of our rookies will develop in a 25+ NHL goal scorer THIS SUMMER ?

That's so laughable it isn't funny. Bourque was grossly misused. He's an offensive depth winger and was used in a shutdown role. RC was a terribad coach.

SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:22 PM
  #127
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
I wanna see Jar sporting a col roulé Bleue along side the mechanic
Imagine the Jerseys that could be sold if they could land him...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:40 PM
  #128
peate
Habs fan 4 life.
 
peate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Imagine the Jerseys that could be sold if they could land him...
But...what about Le Jeune Vebère? He'd have to give up his jersey#.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:41 PM
  #129
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
Wait... What ?

So, we have a player who scored 25+ goals multiple times, and we have rookies, that can't even pot 25 in the AHL... And you want our new coach to put the multiple 25+ in the AHL to try some young players ? Are you for real ?

Am I reading it clearly or am I dreaming ? Don't you think Therrien would want to find Bourque some chemistry, for, at least, half a season before throwing the towel on Bourque ? Do you really think one of our rookies will develop in a 25+ NHL goal scorer THIS SUMMER ?

That's so laughable it isn't funny. Bourque was grossly misused. He's an offensive depth winger and was used in a shutdown role. RC was a terribad coach.
I think Bourque is only third line quality of a player these days. But people really don't get the vast gulf there is between NHL third liners and AHL level players.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:49 PM
  #130
Takashi
Registered User
 
Takashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
http://tricolore.ca/chfans/content.p...r-Jaromir-Jagr

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:49 PM
  #131
crazyd
Canada is hockey
 
crazyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
3 mil 1 season, get it done. I honestly thought he was coming here last year, he made the right choice signing with Philly that time, but now it's our turn!
For me this is a no brainer. No prospect of ours can give us the depth we need to be more successful (Palushaj?).

So from a standpoint of this year versus next year, it comes down to:

Jagr >> AK

A line of Eller-Pleks-Jagr would simply be beautiful.

Pacs-DD-Cole
Eller-Pleks-Jagr
Bourque-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-X-White

No forward from the farm is coming up until Gomez and Gionta are in the line up (contract expires or otherwise).

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:03 PM
  #132
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,596
vCash: 500
From what I saw of him it's pretty clear to me the guy can still play. He would be a solid signing to play on Pleckanec's wing.

We were a contender for him last year... here's hoping!

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:16 PM
  #133
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go
 
We Want The 25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
yes please! i want my Jagr jersey and hopefully getting to meet him in brossard at training camp

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
  #134
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!
 
Rscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Santiago, Chile
Country: Chile
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post

ahahhahahaha Jagr - Plekanecs - Kovalev

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
  #135
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st
 
Habsfan2992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
ahahhahahaha Jagr - Plekanecs - Kovalev
I would have liked that too but I think Jagr and Kovalev are both Right wingers but that would be kinda cool to see nevertheless

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:24 PM
  #136
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,060
vCash: 500
It'd be cool to buy a Jagr Habs jersey, but I just don't see the point. Sign him for one year and what happens? This team isn't going to contend, and now you're pushing either Gionta or Cole down the lineup. He didn't look out of place with Giroux and Hartnell, that's because Hartnell is also slow and Giroux likes to slow the game down with the puck on his stick. Sure he might look decent beside Plekanec in a tournament, but in an 82 game schedule, he will get tired fast. The strength of this team is speed, he doesn't have it.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
  #137
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It'd be cool to buy a Jagr Habs jersey, but I just don't see the point. Sign him for one year and what happens? This team isn't going to contend, and now you're pushing either Gionta or Cole down the lineup. He didn't look out of place with Giroux and Hartnell, that's because Hartnell is also slow and Giroux likes to slow the game down with the puck on his stick. Sure he might look decent beside Plekanec in a tournament, but in an 82 game schedule, he will get tired fast. The strength of this team is speed, he doesn't have it.
The point is it helps the team progress and in a year if he is still a good player and some of the young guys are not ready for his job, maybe keep him a second year.

I'd rather Jagr play 16-18 minutes than LeBlanc right now, he needs another half to full year AHL. Same with Bournival Gallagher Holland etc

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
  #138
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It'd be cool to buy a Jagr Habs jersey, but I just don't see the point. Sign him for one year and what happens? This team isn't going to contend, and now you're pushing either Gionta or Cole down the lineup. He didn't look out of place with Giroux and Hartnell, that's because Hartnell is also slow and Giroux likes to slow the game down with the puck on his stick. Sure he might look decent beside Plekanec in a tournament, but in an 82 game schedule, he will get tired fast. The strength of this team is speed, he doesn't have it.
You sign a Jagr for one year in order to bridge the gap
Gallagher would be better served to play in the AHL for a year, perhaps Leblanc as well. Jagr plays with Pleks for a year and then comes off the books. Following year youth is served.

He's a decent 1 yr stop gap

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
  #139
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The point is it helps the team progress and in a year if he is still a good player and some of the young guys are not ready for his job, maybe keep him a second year.

I'd rather Jagr play 16-18 minutes than LeBlanc right now, he needs another half to full year AHL. Same with Bournival Gallagher Holland etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
You sign a Jagr for one year in order to bridge the gap
Gallagher would be better served to play in the AHL for a year, perhaps Leblanc as well. Jagr plays with Pleks for a year and then comes off the books. Following year youth is served.

He's a decent 1 yr stop gap
Why would you make your team better for a season if all you're thinking about is the future? The concern is the young players need more time, because the team will have to rely on them in the future to be any good. So if your concern is the young talent coming up, why would you set the team up to get a worse draft pick next season?

You sign Jagr to help Leblanc develop, but signing Jagr means less of a chance to get MacKinnon. Does that make any sense to you?

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:42 PM
  #140
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Why would you make your team better for a season if all you're thinking about is the future? The concern is the young players need more time, because the team will have to rely on them in the future to be any good. So if your concern is the young talent coming up, why would you set the team up to get a worse draft pick next season?

You sign Jagr to help Leblanc develop, but signing Jagr means less of a chance to get MacKinnon. Does that make any sense to you?
Based on the core that's here and them not willing to "blow it up" I see the odds of another top 5 pick being very long, we are not Calgary or CBJ. So in terms of the future, better to be top 15 than 16-25th. have young players grow up in a winning atmosphere and make it an easier place to sign and keep players.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
  #141
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Why would you make your team better for a season if all you're thinking about is the future? The concern is the young players need more time, because the team will have to rely on them in the future to be any good. So if your concern is the young talent coming up, why would you set the team up to get a worse draft pick next season?

You sign Jagr to help Leblanc develop, but signing Jagr means less of a chance to get MacKinnon. Does that make any sense to you?
I believe that your let's tank statement belongs in another thread.

As for this thread, you don't know who wins until the games are played. With that being said, A new management group has not been put in place to fail, they will look to make a mark.

With a healthy Markov we have 2 top Dmen
We have 2 bona-fide power forwards
we have a stud goalie
we have a good 2 way center in Pleks

so let's not get a piece or two that will improve us - cuz you want to tank? WE ARE NOT THE ISLANDERS

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:48 PM
  #142
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
I believe that your let's tank statement belongs in another thread.

As for this thread, you don't know who wins until the games are played. With that being said, A new management group has not been put in place to fail, they will look to make a mark.

With a healthy Markov we have 2 top Dmen
We have 2 bona-fide power forwards
we have a stud goalie
we have a good 2 way center in Pleks

so let's not get a piece or two that will improve us - cuz you want to tank? WE ARE NOT THE ISLANDERS
Plus if you stay near the bottom too long losing becomes part of the culture and fabric and you can't escape it, just look at Edmonton and Columbus.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:56 PM
  #143
pine
Registered User
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,967
vCash: 50
now that this thread is back... where is Jags6868?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:04 PM
  #144
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,457
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
So, part one of how many?

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:11 PM
  #145
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
I believe that your let's tank statement belongs in another thread.

As for this thread, you don't know who wins until the games are played. With that being said, A new management group has not been put in place to fail, they will look to make a mark.

With a healthy Markov we have 2 top Dmen
We have 2 bona-fide power forwards
we have a stud goalie
we have a good 2 way center in Pleks

so let's not get a piece or two that will improve us - cuz you want to tank? WE ARE NOT THE ISLANDERS
When did I say "let's tank"?

I only referred to your idea of letting young players develop and taking it a step further.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:14 PM
  #146
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
When did I say "let's tank"?

I only referred to your idea of letting young players develop and taking it a step further.
The point of letting them develop is NOT bring them up in the NHL fast. Leave them in the AHL for a time to mature.

But we still have to be competitive in between, and the only way to do that is through trades or UFA.

I still don't understand your comment. Why would we try to get MacKinnon? Are we tanking already? It's a done deal? We give up on 2012-13 as well?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:20 PM
  #147
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
When did I say "let's tank"?

I only referred to your idea of letting young players develop and taking it a step further.
Players develop at different stages and different places
most of ours right now need seasoning in the AHL

as for the tanking it seemed as though it was implied

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:21 PM
  #148
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The point of letting them develop is NOT bring them up in the NHL fast. Leave them in the AHL for a time to mature.

But we still have to be competitive in between, and the only way to do that is through trades or UFA.

I still don't understand your comment. Why would we try to get MacKinnon? Are we tanking already? It's a done deal? We give up on 2012-13 as well?
This team was 15th in the East. People can try and say "well this guy was hurt and if these guys play better..blah blah". Right now, this is not a very good team, and if the only option is to add Jagr, what's the point?

I'm not giving up on the season, but it looks pretty ****ing grim if the only realistic option is adding a 40 year old tortoise that clearly benefited by playing with one of the best players in the league and one of the best power forwards in the league.

No, I'm not trying to tank, I'm trying to add some realism to this delusional and passionate fanbase. There are much bigger problems than just adding Jagr will fix. If Bergevin can find the solutions, then great.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
  #149
pine
Registered User
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,967
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
This team was 15th in the East. People can try and say "well this guy was hurt and if these guys play better..blah blah". Right now, this is not a very good team, and if the only option is to add Jagr, what's the point?

I'm not giving up on the season, but it looks pretty ****ing grim if the only realistic option is adding a 40 year old tortoise that clearly benefited by playing with one of the best players in the league and one of the best power forwards in the league.

No, I'm not trying to tank, I'm trying to add some realism to this delusional and passionate fanbase. There are much bigger problems than just adding Jagr will fix. If Bergevin can find the solutions, then great.
Sign Parise, Jagr, Suter and Justin Schultz and you have a solid team.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:28 PM
  #150
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
I really like the idea of Jagr. 3-4 million should do it. Love to have it cheaper but not gonna happen.
With Jagr in, this is how I see our line up!

Max-Plekanec-Jagr
Bourque-DD-Cole
Moen-Eller-Gionta
Blunden/Schultz-Leblanc/Nattinen-White/Leblanc

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.