HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs interested in signing Jagr

Old
06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
SmurfsFTW
Wait.. WUT ?!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
agree with that to a degree, but thing is that as we stand we have 2 "open" spots in the top-9, I'd rather see us add a solid veteran/established player, and then let Leblanc/Palushaj/Geoffrion/Gallgaher be in competition for the final spot & get opportunities as injury call ups.

MaxPac
Cole
Gionta
Bourque
???
???

from a competitive stand point, adding a Jagr (or someone else who would be pencilled in as a top-9 winger) would be very good from a depth pov, and doesn't preclude Therrien from allowing camp competition to lead to Bourque getting supplanted by a young player and starting the year in the AHL.
Wait... What ?

So, we have a player who scored 25+ goals multiple times, and we have rookies, that can't even pot 25 in the AHL... And you want our new coach to put the multiple 25+ in the AHL to try some young players ? Are you for real ?

Am I reading it clearly or am I dreaming ? Don't you think Therrien would want to find Bourque some chemistry, for, at least, half a season before throwing the towel on Bourque ? Do you really think one of our rookies will develop in a 25+ NHL goal scorer THIS SUMMER ?

That's so laughable it isn't funny. Bourque was grossly misused. He's an offensive depth winger and was used in a shutdown role. RC was a terribad coach.

SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:22 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
I wanna see Jar sporting a col roulé Bleue along side the mechanic
Imagine the Jerseys that could be sold if they could land him...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:40 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Imagine the Jerseys that could be sold if they could land him...
But...what about Le Jeune Vebère? He'd have to give up his jersey#.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
Wait... What ?

So, we have a player who scored 25+ goals multiple times, and we have rookies, that can't even pot 25 in the AHL... And you want our new coach to put the multiple 25+ in the AHL to try some young players ? Are you for real ?

Am I reading it clearly or am I dreaming ? Don't you think Therrien would want to find Bourque some chemistry, for, at least, half a season before throwing the towel on Bourque ? Do you really think one of our rookies will develop in a 25+ NHL goal scorer THIS SUMMER ?

That's so laughable it isn't funny. Bourque was grossly misused. He's an offensive depth winger and was used in a shutdown role. RC was a terribad coach.
I think Bourque is only third line quality of a player these days. But people really don't get the vast gulf there is between NHL third liners and AHL level players.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Takashi

http://tricolore.ca/chfans/content.p...r-Jaromir-Jagr

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 03:49 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
3 mil 1 season, get it done. I honestly thought he was coming here last year, he made the right choice signing with Philly that time, but now it's our turn!
For me this is a no brainer. No prospect of ours can give us the depth we need to be more successful (Palushaj?).

So from a standpoint of this year versus next year, it comes down to:

Jagr >> AK

A line of Eller-Pleks-Jagr would simply be beautiful.

Pacs-DD-Cole
Eller-Pleks-Jagr
Bourque-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-X-White

No forward from the farm is coming up until Gomez and Gionta are in the line up (contract expires or otherwise).

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:03 PM
MM425

From what I saw of him it's pretty clear to me the guy can still play. He would be a solid signing to play on Pleckanec's wing.

We were a contender for him last year... here's hoping!

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:16 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

yes please! i want my Jagr jersey and hopefully getting to meet him in brossard at training camp

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post

ahahhahahaha Jagr - Plekanecs - Kovalev

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
ahahhahahaha Jagr - Plekanecs - Kovalev
I would have liked that too but I think Jagr and Kovalev are both Right wingers but that would be kinda cool to see nevertheless

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:24 PM
le_sean

It'd be cool to buy a Jagr Habs jersey, but I just don't see the point. Sign him for one year and what happens? This team isn't going to contend, and now you're pushing either Gionta or Cole down the lineup. He didn't look out of place with Giroux and Hartnell, that's because Hartnell is also slow and Giroux likes to slow the game down with the puck on his stick. Sure he might look decent beside Plekanec in a tournament, but in an 82 game schedule, he will get tired fast. The strength of this team is speed, he doesn't have it.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It'd be cool to buy a Jagr Habs jersey, but I just don't see the point. Sign him for one year and what happens? This team isn't going to contend, and now you're pushing either Gionta or Cole down the lineup. He didn't look out of place with Giroux and Hartnell, that's because Hartnell is also slow and Giroux likes to slow the game down with the puck on his stick. Sure he might look decent beside Plekanec in a tournament, but in an 82 game schedule, he will get tired fast. The strength of this team is speed, he doesn't have it.
The point is it helps the team progress and in a year if he is still a good player and some of the young guys are not ready for his job, maybe keep him a second year.

I'd rather Jagr play 16-18 minutes than LeBlanc right now, he needs another half to full year AHL. Same with Bournival Gallagher Holland etc

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
You sign a Jagr for one year in order to bridge the gap
Gallagher would be better served to play in the AHL for a year, perhaps Leblanc as well. Jagr plays with Pleks for a year and then comes off the books. Following year youth is served.

He's a decent 1 yr stop gap

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The point is it helps the team progress and in a year if he is still a good player and some of the young guys are not ready for his job, maybe keep him a second year.

I'd rather Jagr play 16-18 minutes than LeBlanc right now, he needs another half to full year AHL. Same with Bournival Gallagher Holland etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
You sign a Jagr for one year in order to bridge the gap
Gallagher would be better served to play in the AHL for a year, perhaps Leblanc as well. Jagr plays with Pleks for a year and then comes off the books. Following year youth is served.

He's a decent 1 yr stop gap
Why would you make your team better for a season if all you're thinking about is the future? The concern is the young players need more time, because the team will have to rely on them in the future to be any good. So if your concern is the young talent coming up, why would you set the team up to get a worse draft pick next season?

You sign Jagr to help Leblanc develop, but signing Jagr means less of a chance to get MacKinnon. Does that make any sense to you?

Old
06-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Why would you make your team better for a season if all you're thinking about is the future? The concern is the young players need more time, because the team will have to rely on them in the future to be any good. So if your concern is the young talent coming up, why would you set the team up to get a worse draft pick next season?

You sign Jagr to help Leblanc develop, but signing Jagr means less of a chance to get MacKinnon. Does that make any sense to you?
Based on the core that's here and them not willing to "blow it up" I see the odds of another top 5 pick being very long, we are not Calgary or CBJ. So in terms of the future, better to be top 15 than 16-25th. have young players grow up in a winning atmosphere and make it an easier place to sign and keep players.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
AntonCH

Quote:

I believe that your let's tank statement belongs in another thread.

As for this thread, you don't know who wins until the games are played. With that being said, A new management group has not been put in place to fail, they will look to make a mark.

With a healthy Markov we have 2 top Dmen
We have 2 bona-fide power forwards
we have a stud goalie
we have a good 2 way center in Pleks

so let's not get a piece or two that will improve us - cuz you want to tank? WE ARE NOT THE ISLANDERS

Old
06-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

As for this thread, you don't know who wins until the games are played. With that being said, A new management group has not been put in place to fail, they will look to make a mark.

we have a stud goalie

so let's not get a piece or two that will improve us - cuz you want to tank? WE ARE NOT THE ISLANDERS
Plus if you stay near the bottom too long losing becomes part of the culture and fabric and you can't escape it, just look at Edmonton and Columbus.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:56 PM
pine

vCash: 50
now that this thread is back... where is Jags6868?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
So, part one of how many?

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:11 PM
le_sean

Quote:

we have a stud goalie

When did I say "let's tank"?

I only referred to your idea of letting young players develop and taking it a step further.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:14 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

I only referred to your idea of letting young players develop and taking it a step further.
The point of letting them develop is NOT bring them up in the NHL fast. Leave them in the AHL for a time to mature.

But we still have to be competitive in between, and the only way to do that is through trades or UFA.

I still don't understand your comment. Why would we try to get MacKinnon? Are we tanking already? It's a done deal? We give up on 2012-13 as well?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:20 PM
AntonCH

Quote:

Players develop at different stages and different places
most of ours right now need seasoning in the AHL

as for the tanking it seemed as though it was implied

Old
06-18-2012, 09:21 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The point of letting them develop is NOT bring them up in the NHL fast. Leave them in the AHL for a time to mature.

But we still have to be competitive in between, and the only way to do that is through trades or UFA.

I still don't understand your comment. Why would we try to get MacKinnon? Are we tanking already? It's a done deal? We give up on 2012-13 as well?
This team was 15th in the East. People can try and say "well this guy was hurt and if these guys play better..blah blah". Right now, this is not a very good team, and if the only option is to add Jagr, what's the point?

I'm not giving up on the season, but it looks pretty ****ing grim if the only realistic option is adding a 40 year old tortoise that clearly benefited by playing with one of the best players in the league and one of the best power forwards in the league.

No, I'm not trying to tank, I'm trying to add some realism to this delusional and passionate fanbase. There are much bigger problems than just adding Jagr will fix. If Bergevin can find the solutions, then great.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
This team was 15th in the East. People can try and say "well this guy was hurt and if these guys play better..blah blah". Right now, this is not a very good team, and if the only option is to add Jagr, what's the point?

I'm not giving up on the season, but it looks pretty ****ing grim if the only realistic option is adding a 40 year old tortoise that clearly benefited by playing with one of the best players in the league and one of the best power forwards in the league.

No, I'm not trying to tank, I'm trying to add some realism to this delusional and passionate fanbase. There are much bigger problems than just adding Jagr will fix. If Bergevin can find the solutions, then great.
Sign Parise, Jagr, Suter and Justin Schultz and you have a solid team.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:28 PM
otto bond

I really like the idea of Jagr. 3-4 million should do it. Love to have it cheaper but not gonna happen.
With Jagr in, this is how I see our line up!

Max-Plekanec-Jagr
Bourque-DD-Cole
Moen-Eller-Gionta
Blunden/Schultz-Leblanc/Nattinen-White/Leblanc

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote