HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pit-Edm-Car (blockbuster, logic included)

Old
06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
shotsavereboundSCORE

vCash: 500
Pit-Edm-Car (blockbuster, logic included)

EDM gets:

8th Overall Pick (car)
Ryan Murphy
Robert Bortuzzo
Jamie McBain

CAR gets:

Jordan Staal
Brian Strait
22th Overall pick (pit)

Pit gets:

#1 overall pick (edm)
Carolina's 2013 first rounder

LOGIC:

EDM:
Have a great young forward core but need defenseman badly. Instead of getting a potentially dynamic winger at #1, they get a solid young top 4 d-man in McBain, a still developing but top-notch offensive d-man prospect in Murphy, and an unproven but highly regarded prospect generally regarded as ready for a top-6 role in Bortuzzo. There should still be very good D-men available at the #8 pick. I know they said they won't trade the pick but this is a way for them to legitimately fix their greatest organizational weakness by pumping the team up with quality D-man prospects all in one shot.

CAR: With several NHL-caliber D-men locked in for the near future, Justin Falk's emergence as a top young defenseman, and Brian Dumolin's emergence as a top D prospect, they can afford to part ways with McBain and Murphy. Get a #1 center who can either anchor the second line or play on the top line with his brother on his wing. Gives Carolina a forward core of Staal, Staal, Skinner, Rutuu, Joikinen, and Sutter - not too shabby, and is the type of move that should move them into the playoffs and not make the 2013 first rounder too high.

PIT:
They won't/don't want to move Michalek or Martin, and Simon Despres, Joe Morrow, and Scott Harrington look like they are going to be studs int he near future, so the timing just isn't right for Pittsburgh to hold onto Bortuzzo and Strait. The need to move Staal now has been well discussed (and for my money, wouldn't be an issue if one of the big 3 was just a damn winger), and with the #1 pick they get a forward who can step into the top 6 right now for a moderate cap hit in a position they need to fill - scoring winger for Sid.

Last edited by shotsavereboundSCORE: 06-18-2012 at 08:59 PM.
shotsavereboundSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:42 PM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotsavereboundSCORE View Post
EDM gets:

8th Overall Pick (car)
Ryan Murphy
Robert Bortuzzo
Jamie McBain

CAR gets:

Jordan Staal
Brian Strait
22th Overall pick (pit)

Pit gets:

#1 overall pick (edm)
Carolina's 2013 first rounder

LOGIC:

EDM:
Have a great young forward core but need defenseman badly. Instead of getting a potentially dynamic winger at #1, they get a solid young top 4 d-man in McBain, a still developing but top-notch offensive d-man prospect in Murphy, and an unproven but highly regarded prospect generally regarded as ready for a top-6 role in Bortuzzo. There should still be very good D-men available at the #8 pick. I know they said they won't trade the pick but this is a way for them to legitimately fix their greatest organizational weakness by pumping the team up with quality D-man prospects all in one shot.

CAR: With several NHL-caliber D-men locked in for the near future, Justin Schultz's emergence as a top young defenseman, and Brian Dumolin's emergence as a top D prospect, they can afford to part ways with McBain and Murphy. Get a #1 center who can either anchor the second line or play on the top line with his brother on his wing. Gives Carolina a forward core of Staal, Staal, Skinner, Rutuu, Joikinen, and Sutter - not too shabby, and is the type of move that should move them into the playoffs and not make the 2013 first rounder too high.

PIT:
They won't/don't want to move Michalek or Martin, and Simon Despres, Joe Morrow, and Scott Harrington look like they are going to be studs int he near future, so the timing just isn't right for Pittsburgh to hold onto Bortuzzo and Strait. The need to move Staal now has been well discussed (and for my money, wouldn't be an issue if one of the big 3 was just a damn winger), and with the #1 pick they get a forward who can step into the top 6 right now for a moderate cap hit in a position they need to fill - scoring winger for Sid.
Not bad

Rather do Staal + Bortuzzo + Strait + Lovejoy + 2012 1st for Eberle
You can have Martin if you want.

BTW what does Schultz have to do with Carolina?

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

This is actually not terrible, there are a lot of players and picks involved but still, its ok.

EDIT: Edmonton does get the bad end of the trade, I think they say no.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Not bad...but if I were Carolina it would be an easy no.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The value isn't that terrible...but there's no way the Penguins trade Jordan Staal for futures.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:47 PM
tsujimoto74

This actually looks like it could work.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:49 PM
airforceones25

Pens give up too little to get 1st overall and another 1st

You managed to give both Edmonton and Carolina good returns for the value but the Pens somehow sneak in the party for less than face value.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Edmonton doesn't need a bunch of potential top four defensmen. They have Klefblom, Marincin and Musil who all project to be top four defensmen. They even have Whitney, Smid and Teubert who are all legit D men. I don't understand why people think they "need defensmen badly." Even going by HF they have 7 D men that are rated 7.0 and above...take that with a grain of salt, but I think theyre ok with the "potential top four" category.

McBains an NHL defensman already so he might be a coveted asset, and Murphy has high end offensive talent but hes right in that "top four potential" category as well. I don't see them giving up huge assets for anything else but a top pairing D man/high high end potential D man (or they could jsut draft one in Murray).

Value isn't bad on paper though.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Value is fine, but it makes no sense for the Pens. Staal looks like he's finally developing good offense, now he's being traded for 2 draft picks. I also doubt Oilers would trade the 1st pick for a soon to be UFA Staal.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:53 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Since this involves the the 1st overall pick why has this thread been close or moved.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:54 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Carolina gives up
8th overall
2013 first rounder
Ryan Murphy
And Jamie McBain

For basically Jordan Staal. That is over payment.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:55 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
It's okay for value, but the Oilers desperately need top-pairing defenseman. We have a lot of guys that could end up being solid dmen but no blue chip studs.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:56 PM
LSnow

Why not

Carolina:

Staal

Pittsburgh:

8th (teräväinen) + Jokinen

Pittsburgh gets promising top end winger + cheap top 6 40-60 point winger..

If Carolina can negotiate an extension beforehand then they add something.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:58 PM
shotsavereboundSCORE

Whoops different Justin, I meant Falk, not Schultz.

Also I think Nail works better for the Penguins because his cap hit for 3 seasons will be at least 2 million lower than Eberle with and his ceiling is sky high.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:58 PM
shotsavereboundSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Why not

Carolina:

Staal

Pittsburgh:

Teravainen will be long gone

Old
06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
fryburger

Best I have read so far.

But as an Oilers fan, I would say no, unless we get more. Drop one prospect, and put in Sutter. Done Deal.

fryburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Whoops different Justin, I meant Falk, not Schultz.
Not to nitpick, but you mean "Faulk" (with a "u"). Justin Falk (without a "u") is actually playing for Minnesota.

It's a funny coincidence in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryburger View Post
Best I have read so far.

But as an Oilers fan, I would say no, unless we get more. Drop one prospect, and put in Sutter. Done Deal.
Carolina's not adding Sutter.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:08 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Also I think Nail works better for the Penguins because his cap hit for 3 seasons will be at least 2 million lower than Eberle with and his ceiling is sky high.
I really don't think that is true. Don't first OA picks usually get 3.75m per? So even if Oilers give Eberle 6m next summer, that would only be true for two years and, jeez, are they really planing to give Eberle 6m?

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Best I have read so far.

No way Canes have to add.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:16 PM
fryburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Not to nitpick, but you mean "Faulk" (with a "u"). Justin Falk (without a "u") is actually playing for Minnesota.

It's a funny coincidence in the NHL.

Carolina's not adding Sutter.
You have to keep in mind, that Edmonton wants to get better now. Sutter would help Edmonton with Size and Skill. So drop McBain for Sutter.

I just don't think there is enough reason for Edmonton to be involved. The only problem with this trade idea is that only Carolina will get better in this trade. Also something else has to go to Pittsburgh too.

fryburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Pens give up too little to get 1st overall and another 1st

You managed to give both Edmonton and Carolina good returns for the value but the Pens somehow sneak in the party for less than face value.
Lol wut?

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:18 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Why not

Carolina:

Staal

Pittsburgh:

No & no one is going to trade for a guy with 1 year on his contract. All deals should be under the assumption he is signing long term before hand.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:24 PM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
No & no one is going to trade for a guy with 1 year on his contract. All deals should be under the assumption he is signing long term before hand.
Its very probable that if Staal finds himself in Carolina with his brother in increased role, that he would sign an extension without previous negotiation..

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:24 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

OP, consider adding a line explaining why Carolina would want Strait. Based on his style of game and apparent NHL-readiness, he could make this trade more viable for the Hurricanes than it appears at first glance.

I'm not sure the value is quite even for Carolina, and I'm not sure this is Carolina's ideal way to trade for Staal. But it's not wildly out of whack either.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:28 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
You have to keep in mind, that Edmonton wants to get better now. Sutter would help Edmonton with Size and Skill. So drop McBain for Sutter.
Sutter is a core player for Carolina. Trading him would simply open another hole in the roster. He's off the table unless Edmonton wants to add another major asset.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote