HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Darcy hanging open for business sign

Old
06-18-2012, 09:12 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Flashback 2007: Settling for Zubrus instead of making a pitch for Smyth, Guerin or Roberts.
Flashback 2008: Settling for Bernier instead of making a pitch for Hossa.
Flashback 2010: Settling for Torres instead of making a pitch for Kovalchuk.
Flashback 2011: Settling for Boyes instead of making a pitch for Neal.
Flashback 2012: Settling for Leino instead of making a pitch for Richards.

Flashback 2006: Signing a 37-year old Numminen.
Flashback 2007: Signing a 32-year old Spacek to make up for loss of McKee.
Flashback 2008: Trading for a 32-year old Rivet to make up for dealing Campbell.

It's happened before....it may happen again.
To a certain extent I'd even put Regehr in that list.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:16 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Flashback 2007: Settling for Zubrus instead of making a pitch for Smyth, Guerin or Roberts.
Because we KNOW for a fact that Darcy didn't chase any of these players, right? RIGHT?

This is why I can't stand 95% of the anti-Darcy talk. People make these grand assumptions that they KNOW what he did or did not do, and crucify him for them.

Judge the moves he makes. Not the ones he doesn't.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Lol, come on. You know you're being unfair here just to slight Darcy.
Maybe a little exaggerated but not that offbase:

Quote:
07 - Zubrus was a fantastic addition. Great defensively and the modest amount of points he put up were a bonus. Guerin had a whopping 2 playoff points and I don't even know why you lumped Roberts into this group, you say 'settle' like he wasn't willing to pay the price to get him - Roberts was traded for Noah Welch... I'm sure if he wanted to go out and get him, he could have. Smyth is fair, but again, Zubrus was good. Don't know how you can complain about that.
Zubrus was added not only for his size and physicality but to add some offense to the 2nd line with Drury. While he helped get Jagr off his game in the NYR series, he didn't do anything offensively to help them in the playoffs. But, as you correctly noted, Guerin and Roberts weren't effective either.

Quote:
08 - This is a completely different situation that you're just twisting to trash Darcy. We 'settled' for Bernier because we had to trade Campbell to get something before he left in free agency and knew we weren't making the playoffs. Also, we happened to get Tyler Ennis from that trade, but kudos for conveniently leaving that out. I'll 'settle' for Ennis in exchange for 2 months of Brian Campbell every day of the week.
Waiting to the last minute of the deadline to move Campbell - because he believed he could re-sign him - forced Regier to settle for the best he could get. The draft pick that Ennis evolved didn't help get the team into the playoffs in 2008, did it? That's why I left it out.

Quote:
12 - Only one that we actually know for sure Darcy pulled out of the running and settled for another guy. However, it became clear to basically everyone that Richards was going to the Rangers and he was using other teams for leverage, so he went out and got who we all thought was the next best thing.
But that's the point Jame was making - that Regier often seems to accept Plan B because he's not committed or unwilling to paying what Plan A takes. And the "we" reference is a generalization - there were several fans on these boards who liked Leino as an option but it was hardly seen as the consensus back-up plan to Richards as I recall.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
That approach doesn't exactly improve the perception of his work

Old
06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Funny how Harrington's blog report suggests more optimism on both Hecht and Armia while Hamilton's report suggests more doubt.
TSN's account of what Regier said about the free agents-to-be:

Quote:
In other developments, Regier said it is unlikely the team will re-sign forwards Jochen Hecht and Brad Boyes, who are both eligible to become unrestricted free agents this summer. Regier is planning to retain the rights to forwards Tyler Ennis and Patrick Kaleta by making qualifying offers to them next week.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
But that's the point Jame was making - that Regier often seems to accept Plan B because he's not committed or unwilling to paying what Plan A takes. And the "we" reference is a generalization - there were several fans on these boards who liked Leino as an option but it was hardly seen as the consensus back-up plan to Richards as I recall.
The Richards situation had nothing to do with DR not being "committed" enough or whatever. Richards wanted to play for NY; any offer Regier made was just leverage for him to get more out of the team he actually wanted to play for.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:34 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
TSN expanded the story with more quotes:
Quote:
Despite his desire to make a trade, Regier stressed he is after a player who has the potential to fit in the team's long-term plans.

"I'm not talking about a one-year fix, or a one-year player that's going to be looking at becoming an unrestricted free agent," Regier said. "If you have an opportunity to add someone who's either under contract or is a high-profile player at a ... reasonable cost, then certainly that's something we'll pursue."
Scratch Staal off the list...

Unless he'd reassess the situation after having a discussion with Staal about signing here.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Scratch Staal off the list...

Unless he'd reassess the situation after having a discussion with Staal about signing here.
I think you're missing the "or" in the quote.

Quote:
"If you have an opportunity to add someone who's either under contract or is a high-profile player at a ... reasonable cost, then certainly that's something we'll pursue."

I would consider Staal a high-profile player. If the cost isn't ridiculous, I expect Darcy to make a play for him. I'm not sure what Pittsburgh would want but some combination of Stafford, Roy, Sekera, Adam, #12, #21, #42, #44 might get Shero at least listening.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Did I stumble into an anti-Regier thread? Ah yes, the two weeks of the year where every ordinary joe thinks he can do a better job than an NHL GM.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Did I stumble into an anti-Regier thread? Ah yes, the two weeks of the year where every ordinary joe thinks he can do a better job than an NHL GM.
I am with you!

Tank For Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:04 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
I'm not sure how anyone can speculate that he could of gone for a big fish before Pegula got here.... They still haven't signed or traded for a big name btw (unless you count Ehrhoff.... which I don't)

I'm not sure why there is any doubt here. We know he made Roy available last year and without trading him brought in a top young center, a 1st and a decent dman while trading an over-rated 4th line center, a work in progress dman and a project power forward. Let him work and try to pick up a center.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Imlach a cup

Roy and a third for Stastny, why would you give up more for the same player you are trading away?

This team needs a top line player. If there isn't another one available then I won't complain about a Nash trade.

Sabretip zip up your agenda is showing.

Anyone else loosing excitement over the draft with talk of a lockout lasting untill December?

Last edited by Imlach a cup: 06-18-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: It happens
Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:57 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I think he builds on last years offseason. I liked what he did and fully believe he will make moves to better the team.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I think he builds on last years offseason. I liked what he did and fully believe he will make moves to better the team.
I'll roger that

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:05 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Roy and a third for Stastny, why would you give up more for the same player you are trading away?

This team needs a top line player. If there isn't another one available then I won't complain about a Nash trade.

Sabretip zip up your agenda is showing.

Anyone else loosing excitement over the draft with talk of a lockout lasting untill December?
We'd give up more because there isn't a chance in hell Colorado makes that deal. I really don't want Stastny on the team because I think he'd end up being more of the same, but if we were to end up going after him as a fallback then the package would have to be a lot sweeter than Roy and a 3rd.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:46 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Forgot stastny, not interested, E. Kane or J. Staal all the way

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs21Nike View Post

I would consider Staal a high-profile player. If the cost isn't ridiculous, I expect Darcy to make a play for him. I'm not sure what Pittsburgh would want but some combination of Stafford, Roy, Sekera, Adam, #12, #21, #42, #44 might get Shero at least listening.
There are a couple '13 UFA centers that are worth looking into, including Getzlaf, McDonald and Ribeiro. There's also Fisher, Weiss and Zajac, but they'll probably re-up sooner rather than later.

Edit: St. Louis has several guys I like. Chris Stewart, McDonald, the rights to McClement...

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:15 AM
LGB24

Quote:
Because we KNOW for a fact that Darcy didn't chase any of these players, right? RIGHT?

This is why I can't stand 95% of the anti-Darcy talk. People make these grand assumptions that they KNOW what he did or did not do, and crucify him for them.

This is exactly it. People in here criticize the GM like its their day job saying Darcy should have done this and done that and how they would have done it differently as if they KNOW what goes on behind closed doors. Being a GM isn't so easy when you're not playing NHL12 and there are other GM's who are actually looking to better their team as well, not just accept any trade that a bias sabres fan thinks is fair. I mean who says Darcy wasn't going after any of those high priced free agents such as Kovulchuck etc? He probably received counter offers that included Myers which 95% of posters here would agree thats a red flag as soon as his name is mentioned. So he went to Plan B and acquired a player who scored 19 goals already for only a 2nd rounder which looked like a great deal at the time. In hindsight the trade didn't work out for the team, and fans who convince themselves they know it all, come out to criticize Darcy. classic

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:34 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs21Nike View Post

I did skip over it. That first part is telling, though. They aren't interested in one year of Staal. They're interested in 24-year-old Staal joining the club for the long haul, but there's no guarantee that will happen.

I think it steers him away.

Last edited by gallagt01: 06-19-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old
06-19-2012, 12:37 AM
gallagt01

Quote:

I think it's silly to assume that Regier never made calls about big name players that were potentially available at one point.

NHL GMs are always looking to improve their roster. Always.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I did skip over it. That first part is telling, though. They aren't interested in one-year of Staal. They're interested in 24-year-old Staal joining the club for the long haul, but there's no guarantee that will happen.

I think it steers him away.
No one's interested in one year of Staal; the cost to nab him would preclude that. You can be sure no one would win the bidding war without an extension having been worked out beforehand.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:03 AM
HiddenInLight

That was one of the most frustrating PCs I've heard in a while....pretty much shoots down the popular theories that are going around...Not interested in moving up in the draft, not interested in staal. Interested in guys we have heard of....no one year deals....who does that leave? Nash? Not sure who else.....I hope were not going after nash. Its not worth it Darcy! I hope he sees that....

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:36 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Myers, Pominville, Ehrhoff, and Miller.
Hopefully the Untouchables: Myers, Foligno, Ehroff, Pominville

Most Likely: Vanek , Stafford , Myers, Leino

But who knows with him...

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:42 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
That approach doesn't exactly improve the perception of his work
My goal isn't to influence the perception of his work one way or another. It's to analyze it objectively and judge him as fairly as possible.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:

Flashback 2006: Signing a 37-year old Numminen.
Flashback 2007: Signing a 32-year old Spacek to make up for loss of McKee.
Flashback 2008: Trading for a 32-year old Rivet to make up for dealing Campbell.

It's happened before....it may happen again.
There's a ton of speculation in this post. By all accounts...Regier did make a pitch for Richards.

Oh, and anything before Pegula took over is silly to bring up. Everyone and their momma knows Golsiano had a budget.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote