HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez: What's Being Done?

Old
06-16-2012, 07:15 PM
70Stang

vCash: 500
I was under the opinion he had a no movement clause? If that is the case that would include not being sent to Hamilton ?

70Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Stang View Post
I was under the opinion he had a no movement clause? If that is the case that would include not being sent to Hamilton ?
No, only that he can't be traded to anotehr NHL team without his consent.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:49 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
No, only that he can't be traded to anotehr NHL team without his consent.
It's a restricted trade clause ; he can't be traded to 3 NHL teams of his choice

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:57 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
It's a restricted trade clause ; he can't be traded to 3 NHL teams of his choice
But he could be claimed on waivers by any 30 teams in the league. So I mean ultimately that trade situation doesn't make any difference. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Habs did something like Gomez and this years 4th round selection for Phoenix's 5th rounder and a conditional 7th round pick. Coyotes will have the cap space in great amounts and the 5 million saved over 2 years for them versus the cap of 14.3 is really enticing.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:00 PM
AntonCH

Loan him out to a club in switzerland or even England
At least you can threaten him to if he doesn't accept the trade

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
But he could be claimed on waivers by any 30 teams in the league. So I mean ultimately that trade situation doesn't make any difference. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Habs did something like Gomez and this years 4th round selection for Phoenix's 5th rounder and a conditional 7th round pick. Coyotes will have the cap space in great amounts and the 5 million saved over 2 years for them versus the cap of 14.3 is really enticing.
I'm pretty sure they can find other means to reach the floor though. Experts have been hanging on this crack for 2 seasons now...

But maybe passing him through re-entry waivers could lure one team or another, I think it'd be the best bet to make.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:05 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
I'm pretty sure they can find other means to reach the floor though. Experts have been hanging on this crack for 2 seasons now...

But maybe passing him through re-entry waivers could lure one team or another, I think it'd be the best bet to make.
But I don't think Gomez' play the last 2 years reflects the kind of player he can be. Obviously not a 50+ point guy but there's no reason to think he couldn't get 40 or 45 points in the right situation. 5.5 and 4.5 is really like 3.5 and 2.5 to Phoenix IF they once again go with as close to the floor as possible because it's 2 and then 3 million they don't need to spend towards the cap.

Especially when you consider how horrible the UFA market is, and how weary a team like Phoenix would be about giving up a bunch of assets for say a Jordan Staal or Corey Perry.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:56 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
How is that the voice of rationality? Gomez is gone regardless on wether or not Betgevin picks up any UFAs or not! Where does he fit and play on this team? No where. Gomez is gone, thinking any other way is un rational
If we don't sign any ufas then he'd have a chance to claim one of the four centre spots at camp. That's fairly obvious.

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Loan him out to a club in switzerland or even England
At least you can threaten him to if he doesn't accept the trade
You can't just loan a guy without their agreement. Just like you can't ban him from attending camp. The NHL has guaranteed contracts, and the players have it defined in their SPC that they can't be treated like that. I mean, you can not-so-subtly let a guy know he's not very welcome, you can tell him he's going to be an early camp cut and riding buses in the AHL, because you've already offered him around the league and nobody is even going to take him on waivers. In that scenario, the player himself may decide he will accept the loan (like a Huet situation). But you can't dictate terms otherwise.

Since nothing seems to be cooking for this buyout window (unless they're just waiting until after the draft so as not to distract from that), the most likely scenario is that Gomez is coming to training camp for us (barring a work stoppage or other CBA-related out), and the Habs will just have to make the call based on what transpires in training camp as to whether he'll be playing for the Habs or the Bulldogs next season.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
You can't just loan a guy without their agreement. Just like you can't ban him from attending camp. The NHL has guaranteed contracts, and the players have it defined in their SPC that they can't be treated like that. I mean, you can not-so-subtly let a guy know he's not very welcome, you can tell him he's going to be an early camp cut and riding buses in the AHL, because you've already offered him around the league and nobody is even going to take him on waivers. In that scenario, the player himself may decide he will accept the loan (like a Huet situation). But you can't dictate terms otherwise.

Since nothing seems to be cooking for this buyout window (unless they're just waiting until after the draft so as not to distract from that), the most likely scenario is that Gomez is coming to training camp for us (barring a work stoppage or other CBA-related out), and the Habs will just have to make the call based on what transpires in training camp as to whether he'll be playing for the Habs or the Bulldogs next season.
A strong camp would make him easier to trade, even if we have to
sweeten him a little to help the other team swallow. And a terrible camp might convince him to retire, or play in Europe.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
A strong camp would make him easier to trade, even if we have to
sweeten him a little to help the other team swallow. And a terrible camp might convince him to retire, or play in Europe.
Camp scares me, tbh. Last year he had a decent enough camp (despite the delayed start). He's a veteran player with wheels and some offensive skills. He could kick ass in the exhibition season, and it could mean nothing. Personally, I'd almost rather have him bought out, even with the stupid cap hit it would leave us, rather than face the possibility that he looks good enough in camp that the team affords him another chance. Almost. More, I'm just hoping for some hail mary salvation from the outcome of the new CBA.

I don't think other teams are going to read anything into his training camp. If there is some team out there that wants phantom cap space (and I don't see that), then maybe he could be traded. Otherwise (by far most likely) he can't be traded. His training camp isn't going to affect that.

I also don't see camp convincing him to retire or play in Europe. He's not all that old. He'll do what he wants. And he has millions coming that he'd be stupid to give up.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Toshio

The only way to get rid of gomez is to lose another trade. Like they have to package him with a good prospect or maybe the two 2nd round picks we have this year without getting anything in return or maybe a 7th round pick next year.

Gomez+prospect or the two 2012 2nd round picks to X team
X team trades their 5th, 6th or 7th round 2013 pick to habs

Question is, is it worth it? Lose another prospect because of gomez? Lol i think hes already done too much damage on this team.

Thing is if the habs eventually gets to trade gomez, no way we'd win that trade.. Again.

Toshio is offline   Reply With Quote