HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jets GM met/Ondrej Pavelec looking for huge payday

Old
06-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Vp360

vCash: 500
Would Bogo for Schneider and tanev work?

Vp360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Context bro.
Yup. This is madness IMO he's going to be a very, very good goalie one day. Man the guy was arguably our best player this year. We're not knee deep in assets to go out and get a good goalie either.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Pavelec isn't worth anything close to 4M per at this point

Still needs alot of work on his game and is too inconsistant
If he was dominating consistently like he did for stretches last year, we'd be talking about him as a bonafide top 6-7 goalie in the league. He's young, and he has consistency issues. Pretty much like the whole team.

I like Chevy, but if the choice is between giving in to a player who has more monetary leverage or letting him go for sweet **** all, I know what I'm doing..

The effort and will to win is there from Pavs. Give him $5M a year for a long term. He's going to only get better, and we can put these distractions to bed.

Do people really look down on players for using KHL for leverage? It's not like he's pulling a radulov and walking out on a signed deal. Lol..

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

$4 mil plus for Pavs? Yikes. I mean, he has room to grow, but no way is he worth that. I'd say he's probably closer to 3 mil in value, and that's pretty generous.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

If pav's want 4 million give it to him. I would foolish not too. He is a good goalie who gets better every year and is very young. IMO jets MVP last year.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

What would the Jets want for Pavelec from NJ?

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:19 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Realisitically, where does Pavelec rank among goaltenders?

He's out of the top 30 for GAA and save %.

Four million? That's crazy
Well realistically Pavelec is using some leverage here to bypass the 'prove you're worth it' type contract that guys like Varlamov, Howard, and Crawford got ($2-3M), and wants a 'pay me what I'm worth' contract that guys like Lehtonen, Hiller, Halak, and Niemi have ($4-5M). Above that is the 'I'm a franchise goalie' range where you get Lundqvist, Luongo, Ward, Fleury, Rinne, etc.

I think it's more than reasonable for the GM to leverage RFA status to push for the first group while the agent leverages offer sheets and the KHL to negotiate towards the middle group. Jet's will be hurting a lot more if they go cheap and let him walk than they do by paying him what he's probably worth a year or two early.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:21 PM
DoubleJ96

I don't think 4 million is too high for Pavs but I don't think I would go much higher than that.

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
My first idea when I heard about the Pavelec to KHL rumors were 'Cory Schneider for Evander Kane'. Straight up. Jets get an upgrade in goal and send someone who's maybe not thrilled to be there out of town. Vancouver gets Schneider out of conference, solves their goalie dilemma, and adds a young hometown goal-scorer.
Terrible value for Kane. Vancouver doesn't have any top prospects that'd get Kane. It'd take two top prospects to get him, no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Realisitically, where does Pavelec rank among goaltenders?

He's out of the top 30 for GAA and save %.

Four million? That's crazy
Stats are misleading since the Jets played awful defense collectively last year. Lots of breakdowns, odd-man rushes, breakaways, etc. - just high percentage scoring chances without the easy shots to pad his stats. He's a very good young goalie, not worth 4 million, but it's not as crazy as you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
What would Jets fans want to give up for a trade around Schnieder?
Nothing. Being 100% honest, I'd much rather the Jets play with **** in net for a few years and amass early draft picks than give up the few assets they have to get a goalie who still won't get them in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vp360 View Post
Absolutely not. The Canucks don't have the top prospects or top young players to get either Kane or Bogo out of Winnipeg. Tanev absolutely doesn't cut it.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Jrtu

How about we trade you Cory Schneider for Evander Kane?
And then you guys can let Pavelec chase his huge payday in the KHL!
Solves problems all around!

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:28 PM
HockeyRX

i'll do Schneider + booth + raymond for kane. as long as kane doesn't mess the locker room up.

HockeyRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:28 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrtu View Post
How about we trade you Cory Schneider for Evander Kane?
And then you guys can let Pavelec chase his huge payday in the KHL!
Solves problems all around!
Counter offer: you give us the Sedins and Kesler for future considerations and save the salary since the Canucks will sell out regardless. Win-win!

Old
06-18-2012, 11:30 PM
denniscasa
Blues Bandwagon 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Whats the +?
What does the sharks need?

denniscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:30 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRX View Post
i'll do Schneider + booth + raymond for kane. as long as kane doesn't mess the locker room up.
That's not even close to enough. Also, this thread is about Kane NOT moving.

Thank god people are reading the title of the thread or any of the posts before posting their well thought out and unique opinions

Old
06-18-2012, 11:34 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
I'm torn on this. I love Pavs, but I hate this idea of a bargaining chip (my way or the highway). I know you have to protect your interests and all, but what happened to mutual respect between GM and player? Although, this is most likely his agent talking and not Pavs. Since I'm still relatively new to this, say Pavelec goes to the KHL for one year and comes back. What does this mean for his eligibility in the NHL?

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:34 PM
HockeyRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
That's not even close to enough. Also, this thread is about Kane NOT moving.

Thank god people are reading the title of the thread or any of the posts before posting their well thought out and unique opinions
i read it, just because he didn't ask for one doesn't mean it won't happen. and how is that not even close to enough?

schneider is projected to be a top 5 goalie
booth is good for 50+ points
raymond is good for 35+ points

i understand kane has upside but imo my proposal is still an overpayment. not saying you guys have to take this but the value is there, it might not be the right fit.

HockeyRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:37 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Fans in Winnipeg would actually be willing to let Pavelec go instead of keeping him at 4M? I think 4M could look like a steal in hindsight.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
i read it, just because he didn't ask for one doesn't mean it won't happen. and how is that not even close to enough?

i understand kane has upside but imo my proposal is still an overpayment. not saying you guys have to take this but the value is there, it might not be the right fit.
That's over 10+mil in salary. I don't see the Jets taking on that much salary, especially when you consider the players you're offering.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
So, he's asking for $4M. Sounds about right.... from his agent's point of view.

I'm sure Chevy's got a figure in the $2.5-3M range in mind. So they meet in the middle. Nothing to see here....

I don't buy him going to the KHL, that's just leverage to get a better deal. This is a guy who came over as a teenager to play in the Q, and stuck it out through 2 years in the minors. He's got a relationship with Chevy going back to their days with the Chicago Wolves.

This is an Allen Walsh negotiating strategy. No more, no less.
Bingo bango. His agent is an aggressive one and is playing hardball, because they have no other leverage. Pavs' stat comparables aren't working in his favour. They don't have a lot to work with. Eventually they'll get something done.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:40 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:

Schneider is not projected to be a top 5 goalie by anyone but yourself. He's a good backup who could earn a starting role in the league and would net a decent return from a team desperate for a goalie, but don't kid yourself, he's not a star goalie. He's not even a proven starter.

Booth is 3 years removed from putting up over 50 points and has done so only once.

Raymond is a glorified third liner that gets added to every proposal by Canucks fans.

None of those guys even get consideration as pieces in a deal for a 20 year old 30 goal scorer.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
What would the Jets want for Pavelec from NJ?
Nothing, he's really not going anywhere. If there's an NHL season he'll be with the Jets.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vp360 View Post
Nope. We're not parting with Bogosian. GM said outright we're building our defense around him, Coach Noel has said he thinks it's crazy to consider trading a player like that. Only untouchable Jet really.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:43 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Fans in Winnipeg would actually be willing to let Pavelec go instead of keeping him at 4M? I think 4M could look like a steal in hindsight.
$4M is an overpayment but it's not ridiculous, especially if they locked him up longterm at that rate. With the cap continually going up and him eventually developing in to a top-15 (i.e. above average) goalie in the league IMO, $4M/yr is a very reasonable rate that could look like a steal. It might look bad next year but I think longterm it'd be fine.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:44 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

4-5 Million for 3-5 years is reasonable for Pavelec, but if nothing is negotiable we trade him to Toronto, for Schenn, Reimer, 2nd and Lupul or Kadri

But I guess we'll extend Kane

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:45 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

But we will do Kane for Schneider and Pavelec to another team, but we expect alot

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote