HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Amerks let McKee go

Old
06-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Amerks let McKee go

Quote:
Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- Multiple sources have told WGR Sports Radio 550 that the Amerks have let go assistant coach Jay McKee.

The former Sabres defenseman worked one season under head coach Ron Rolston and apparently the two men just had different philosophies which led to the split.

Before working in Rochester McKee was an assistant in the college ranks with Dave Burkholder and Niagara.

UPDATE:

I have gotten confirmation from the Sabres that McKee has been let go.
http://wgr550.com/Amerks-let-McKee-go/13480363

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Favorite player from the ECF team. Good luck.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:27 AM
gallagt01

That's a shame. The way he played the game was leading me to believe that he would flourish as a coach. While he may still do so, it's upsetting that it won't be in this organization.

I do like Rolston, though. If his little brother hangs them up, I wonder if there's a spot on his staff for him...

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Sure didn't see this coming. I hope whoever they replace him with can be a difference maker for important Rochester-bound assets like Pysyk and JGL.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:05 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Grier for his replacement perhaps? One can dream right?

Sucks to hear they let him go. I liked McKee. One of the most underrated defensemen to ever wear a Sabres sweater and one of the best defensemen to play for us since the lockout.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Grier for his replacement perhaps? One can dream right?

Sucks to hear they let him go. I liked McKee. One of the most underrated defensemen to ever wear a Sabres sweater and one of the best defensemen to play for us since the lockout.
Yes to Grier! Where do I sign?

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:13 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

From everything I experienced, he was just a real quality, down to earth guy. Very willing to just stop and chat for a few minutes. Best of luck to him in the future.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:28 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Dang wish we stuck with him. All time favorite

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Interesting. I wonder if they replace him or if they go with a more traditionally sized AHL staff.

06-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Weird, wasn't he just on WGR a few weeks ago? (checked, April 18 on Schopp/Bulldog)

I wonder if there's something behind-the-scenes that motivated this. Oh well, he was just an AHL assistant coach after all, they probably won't have a problem filling that position. My vote's for Ron Wilson.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Interesting. I wonder if they replace him or if they go with a more traditionally sized AHL staff.
http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/?p=2777

Quote:
Jay McKee will not be rehired as an assistant coach with the Rochester Americans for next season.

Head coach Ron Rolston confirmed tonight that McKee won’t return, but he did not elaborate on what went into his decision. He said only that it was a matter of “fit,” which apparently means McKee wasn’t the right fit.

In some ways, it’s surprising that the organization wouldn’t want McKee to continue to lend his expertise — 13 years of NHL experience surely translates into some sort of valuable knowledge. McKee was very hands-on when it came to teaching the defensemen during practice.

At the same time, assistant coach Chadd Cassidy primarily handled the defense during games, so perhaps their duties overlapped. Who knows, maybe there was even a difference in philosophies.

Somehow I tend to believe there just wasn’t the proper cohesiveness between the coaches that is necessary on a staff. Cassidy and Rolston have been together for six seasons (five with USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program). McKee was brought in I think more by folks in Buffalo and not necessarily by Rolston. They tried it; it didn’t work.

McKee politely declined to discuss the matter. I think it’s safe to say he isn’t happy about the decision.
I like the fact that they let Rolston make the call after trying it.

I wonder if Chris Taylor gets promoted from within. The Sabres seem to like to promote from within when there is an opening like this one.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote