HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 01:43 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I'd don't get it. I was comparing them for styles (as they are the exact same style and skill level) currently when saying Stuart has a good contract at 1.7 million per season, whereas Greene's contract is too high at 2.9 million (the Stuart comment had nothing to do with the "established" part). Greene is a solid guy, solid bottom pairing guy...but he is overpaid. ~2 million is where he should be as a one-dimensional bottom pairing defenseman. Kings overpaid then, he is still overpaid. Don't matter than much, but yeah.

Greene was a solid bottom pairing guy in EDM, was pretty secure as an NHL player when the trade went through, IMO. It's kinda like if the Kings traded Alec Martinez right now, and he signed a deal with a new team worth 3 million. He is an established 3rd pairing guy, not worth 3 million, but definitely an established NHLer. That was the only point I was making. I don't think Greene has ever been worth the money he was paid on that deal. I like what Greene brings, don't get me wrong, he is just overpaid. Every team has guys that are under/over paid, it's not a big deal in most cases.
I've always said this. Greene is a top 4 defenseman on an average team. If you have the depth to put him on the 3rd line, you pretty much lay claim to one of the best defense in the league. And that is exactly what happened. He's paid as a top 4 defenseman because that's exactly what he is.

Just like Richards. Richards is a 1st line center. If you have the depth to put him on the 2nd line, you can probably lay claim to one of the best center-tandems in the league. He hasn't become "overpaid" for being a 2nd line center (which he technically is for being a 2nd liner), it's just an indicator of superior depth.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:57 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I was ready to throw in the towel on Greene after last years playoffs, he was the worst player on the ice for the Kings. Worse than Westgarth, Stoll, Smyth, Handzus, you name it.

Greene was a changed player this season, and got even better after DS took over. I know certain fans won't like to hear this, but in Greene's previous three seasons as a King he averaged 95 PIM's per 82 games. This season he had only 58 PIM's while playing all 82 games. The stupid penalties were for the most part eliminated and are clearly not needed to establish toughness, which Greene still did all season while staying on the ice.

As for Richards, I don't think any team is going to realistically challenge for a championship with him as the man, but he should slot in nicely with Kopitar for years to come. He had a pretty stinker of a year, but he could not ask to be in a better situation. Not facing top checkers every night because of Kopitar and having a sniper who happens to be is best friend on his wing.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:15 AM
damacles1156

Greene had a career year, this season was the best he has ever played.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:06 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Lots of spec Chicago will move Kane. Now there is my pipe dream. What would it take. Bernier Forbert 1st Stoll signed +
Kane Richards Carter.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Lots of spec Chicago will move Kane. Now there is my pipe dream. What would it take. Bernier Forbert 1st Stoll signed +
Kane Richards Carter.
A trade for Kane would have to start with a top 6 forward: Williams, Brown, Kopitar, Carter or Richards. You aren't getting Kane from a conference rival for non-roster prospects.

If Kane is moved, he will be going East.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:19 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

You know that worry in your stomach when a division rival makes a pretty solid signing or adds a good player? Last year I felt that when the Sharks traded for Brent Burns. Or back when they traded for Joe Thornton. When they signed Brad Stuart, I didn't have that feeling. This might be the first time in my career as a fan (lol) where I don't give a **** about division rivals. I don't know if any of you feel this way, but we just won the CUP BABY. WHO CARES WHAT OUR DIVISION RIVALS DO ANYMORE HAHAHAA WOOOO (still on cloud 9)

Old
06-19-2012, 09:25 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
You know that worry in your stomach when a division rival makes a pretty solid signing or adds a good player? Last year I felt that when the Sharks traded for Brent Burns. Or back when they traded for Joe Thornton. When they signed Brad Stuart, I didn't have that feeling. This might be the first time in my career as a fan (lol) where I don't give a **** about division rivals. I don't know if any of you feel this way, but we just won the CUP BABY. WHO CARES WHAT OUR DIVISION RIVALS DO ANYMORE HAHAHAA WOOOO (still on cloud 9)
I was happy The Sharks signed Burns, he is awful in his own zone (like Jack but worse).

He makes San Jose's average D worse... So that move I didn't mind.

Last edited by damacles1156: 06-19-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old
06-19-2012, 09:25 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Just think how they all felt when we got Richards and Carter...haha

Old
06-19-2012, 11:09 AM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Greene had a career year, this season was the best he has ever played.
There is no reason to expect that we won't get five more seasons of that Matt Greene. I could easily see him receive a three year extension after the next July 1.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
CBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Eklund reporting that Hickey will be moved.

I guess Hicks will be staying after all.
Hickey is as good as gone

Old
06-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
There is no way we keep Hickey any longer. Either he is promoted to the roster and we deal someone else, which is unlikely, or he is gone. He will probably get dealt to Edmonton, hopefully for MPS.

Russo is saying that Setoguchi or Clutterbuck could be on the table in Minnesota. Either of those players would be a good pickup.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
06-19-2012, 11:34 AM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Eklund reporting that Hickey will be moved.

I guess Hicks will be staying after all.
I think Eklund might be right on this one. We need draft picks. If Columbus takes our first this year, we have no picks until the 4th round. Not good.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:46 AM
DaAnimal

hickey for mps straight up? I dont think edm would do that. Maybe Hickey + 2013 2nd Rd?

Old
06-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
hickey for mps straight up? I dont think edm would do that. Maybe Hickey + 2013 2nd Rd?
Yeah, it wouldn't happen But I can hope. I just want to re-allocate the asset into some better immediate depth on the wings. It would be nice if we can acquire a young winger with a decent pedigree as we shed these RFA's and prospects.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:58 AM
zeppelin97

Drewiske was more like the #8 this past season. Whenever there was an injury, Voynov would fly in. I could see Hickey as the #7, putting some pressure on young Voynov. Hickey might prove his value better with some spot duty, increasing his value for a trade in a deeper draft next year. Or, he could fill in for Scuderi the next season.

I could see Drewiske, Hickey, Westgarth as reserves. If Lombardi sees top 4 potential in Hickey, I doubt he trades it in for a pick.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
As for Richards, I don't think any team is going to realistically challenge for a championship with him as the man, but he should slot in nicely with Kopitar for years to come. He had a pretty stinker of a year, but he could not ask to be in a better situation. Not facing top checkers every night because of Kopitar and having a sniper who happens to be is best friend on his wing.
People put waaayyy too much emphasis on "the man". Many championship teams have won without "the man". Plus, Richards already disproved your belief that you "don't think any team is going to realistically challenge for a championship with him as the man". What do you think eh's been doing in philly this whole time??

Old
06-19-2012, 01:02 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Harding re-signed with Minnesota, he was the last starter quality Goaltender on the free agent market.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

With less and less options becoming available as free agents in the market for goaltenders, the more and more Bernier might appear as an attractive option for teams shopping for goaltending.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
With less and less options becoming available as free agents in the market for goaltenders, the more and more Bernier might appear as an attractive option for teams shopping for goaltending.
Let's hope so!

Old
06-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin97 View Post
I could see Hickey as the #7, putting some pressure on young Voynov.
Agree. Don't understand why people are so confident Hickey will be gone. He's Dean's guy, and Dean has spent a long time developing him.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:08 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Exactly. Though I will still be surprised if he gets traded this off-season.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Agree. Don't understand why people are so confident Hickey will be gone. He's Dean's guy, and Dean has spent a long time developing him.
He may be back but I don't think the Kings will carry 8 defensemen. Sutter prefers to have extra forwards and one defenseman sitting as opposed to two dmen and one extra forward. Drewiske is signed for another year and will likely be back with the Kings.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:28 PM
johnjm22

Winnipeg might be in the market for a new goaltender.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:30 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
There is no way we keep Hickey any longer. Either he is promoted to the roster and we deal someone else, which is unlikely, or he is gone. He will probably get dealt to Edmonton, hopefully for MPS.

Russo is saying that Setoguchi or Clutterbuck could be on the table in Minnesota. Either of those players would be a good pickup.
I would love to get Seto for Hickey. Seto would be a great third line guy....

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
????-Richie-Carts
King-????-Seto
Nolan-Fraser-Lewie

Stoll and Penner may or may not come back, some moron GM (there's plenty in the NHL) may offer them an insane contract.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:42 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Winnipeg might be in the market for a new goaltender.
Nothing I want from Winnipeg, if we are trading Bernier...Dean should hit up a team for some high end almost NHL ready scoring prospects and park them in Manchester until we need them. I still think Dean needs to find more scorers, Sutter did a great job of tweaking up the system and being more aggressive on the forecheck....however I have my doubts that this team can do that over an 82 game schedule after playing a season of 100 plus games.

That's a lot of wear and tear.

Closed Thread