HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pit-Edm-Car (blockbuster, logic included)

Old
06-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Carolina is giving up quite a bit.

Optically the Oilers can't make this trade.

What happens when Yakupov lifts the Cup next to Crosby and Malkin (not unlikely) in a year or two?

Lowe/Tambellini are going to need police protection in Edmonton. That sort of thing does not play well in a hockey crazed Canadian market.

The only thing I think saving Brian Burke from getting lynched in Toronto is that Phil Kessel is putting up some pretty immediate numbers to counteract some of the Seguin-hurt.

The Oilers would have .... a bunch of young, inexperienced d-men that would need probably 2-3 years of seasoning.

Besides, Pittsburgh has enough elite talent. Let someone else have a turn. Crosby/Malkin/Neal is an embarrassment of riches as is. This would be like the 80s Oilers getting Joe Niewuendyk or something too.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:23 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I think the Pens have to add by sending more to Carolina. The idea of Yakupov playing with Malking or Crosby would still be too much for the Penguins to pass up.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:50 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Value wise I think Edmonton easily wins this one. But at the same time it also sets them up for another lottery finish. The cupboards can only hold so many propects. They already have Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Gernat, Davidson, Tuebert, and Plante in the system
Murphy is the only prospect, McBain and Bortuzzo are both in the NHL next year.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:12 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
This year staal got 50. Which was his career high

And now he can put up 60?
... in 60 games. It's not an extraordinary leap to suggest 10 more points in 20 games is probable. Unless you believe players plateau at 23.

Also, Pens don't deal away a core component on a contender for unproven prospects. Despite how nice and shiny they look at HF and in draft guides.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:15 AM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Pens give up too little to get 1st overall and another 1st

You managed to give both Edmonton and Carolina good returns for the value but the Pens somehow sneak in the party for less than face value.
Pens give up Staal, Bortuzzo, Strait, 2012 1st (22nd)

Staal's worth the 1st overall as an even swap

Bortuzzo, Strait, 2012 1st (22nd) is pretty good value for the 2013 1st that could be worth a lot less come time to actually draft their slot. That's a bit hefty.

Like others said though, the Pens are not looking for futures only.

You must not understand both Bortuzzo and Strait are ready right now, and the Pens are over paying in the slightest amount, but not enough to have outcry.

Overall I could live with it if they weren't contending right now.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Boom Boom Anton

I wouldn't do this deal from Carolina's standpoint. It's basically giving up 3 early / mid 1st round picks (Murphy, #8 2012, 2013 1st) for Staal and trading McBain for a late 1st rounder (#22) as they really don't have a need for Strait.

If that's the cost of Staal, I sure hope JR passes and takes his chances if/when he becomes a UFA (Yes..I know Pens fans, other teams will surely outbid Carolina, but that's a chance JR should still take rather than giving up 3 1st rounders).

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Eskimo44

I think it's decent value wise, although not great either. Edmonton doesn't need prospects, especially defense prospects, and McBain isn't the answer for the big league roster. Murphy is enticing but at the cost of the 1st overall he's not all that appealing.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
I know its hard for you to read so let me help you out..

Two mediocre PROSPECTS! Quit trying to act like Staal is worth the #1 overall. You're delusional! Because you throw in two players that will make minimal impact doesn't all the sudden vault his worth. Lol Staal may be worth a high pick but not #1. Take off your homer glasses.
Staal is easily worth the #1 overall. Every player in that draft would trade their balls to be what Jordan staal is. It doesn't have anything to do with being a Homer it has to do with being reasonable and knowing a players worth.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Pens win this hands down. Carolina loses and Edmonton gets a bunch of good d prospects, which they already have a lot of.
This.

Pens should be all over it, Carolina flat-out declines.

Edmonton has to think about it, but im not a fan of how diluted the talent is, if we trade Yakupov it should be for two very good assets (2C+Dman)

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Staal is easily worth the #1 overall. Every player in that draft would trade their balls to be what Jordan staal is. It doesn't have anything to do with being a Homer it has to do with being reasonable and knowing a players worth.

Flat out wrong.

Even if you ignore years of control.

Yakupov projects just like recent 1OA forwards like Kane, Stamkos, Hall, Seguin(2oa), RNH.

You aren't getting any of them straight up for Staal, and you aren't getting Yakupov for him either. Again, even ignoring years of control.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

no way from the Canes...

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Blank

IF the 1st overall was in play I'm pretty sure Carolina would rather take that + add in a vet nr.2 center via FA or something.

No way the Pens get even close to the mix.

Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:36 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Flat out wrong.

Yakupov projects just like recent 1OA forwards like Kane, Stamkos, Hall, Seguin(2oa), RNH.

You aren't getting any of them straight up for Staal, and you aren't getting Yakupov for him either. Again, even ignoring years of control.
I don't know why I have to keep pointing this out, but Staal isn't moving unless the other team knows he's willing to sign with them. That's a given I don't know why people act otherwise.

Anyways: My impression is that Yakupov projects more like a P. Kane than a Stamkos. Big difference. I think Staal for the #1 overall is at least in the ballpark value-wise. If you want to say the Pens would have to add something more I'm perfectly fine with that.

We still make out a little too well regardless IMO.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I came in here expecting to hate it... but that proposal isn't bad. It's well thought out, in general. Value is solid.

The problem, for me, is that the Penguins are a contender, give up a core player and get back draft picks. Those are very good draft picks, but that's all futures. They want to win now. They'll get a young player who may be good for about 50 points next year, in a sheltered role.

Unless the cap is about to crash, and unless the salaries of Malkin and Crosby are going to go significantly higher than their already substantial levels (doubtful, in my opinion), the Penguins don't need to shed salary so badly that they deal Staal for picks.

Yakupov will be a top player, but not for 3-4 years. That timeline doesn't fit for Pittsburgh.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I came in here expecting to hate it... but that proposal isn't bad. It's well thought out, in general. Value is solid.

The problem, for me, is that the Penguins are a contender, give up a core player and get back draft picks. Those are very good draft picks, but that's all futures. They want to win now. They'll get a young player who may be good for about 50 points next year, in a sheltered role.

Unless the cap is about to crash, and unless the salaries of Malkin and Crosby are going to go significantly higher than their already substantial levels (doubtful, in my opinion), the Penguins don't need to shed salary so badly that they deal Staal for picks.

Yakupov will be a top player, but not for 3-4 years. That timeline doesn't fit for Pittsburgh.
Reason and logic in the general forums. No way.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Blank

I'd actually break this into 2 trades:

Carolina gives up 8th+Murphy+McBain for the 1st

And then flipping it + a 2013 1st for Staal and a low 1st??

Crazy robbery by the Pens.

I left out Bortuzzo&Strait. They're pretty much throw-ins here, Carolina&Edmonton really have no need for either or can easily fill the bottom pairing with d-rookies of their own.

Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:08 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I wouldn't do this deal from Carolina's standpoint. It's basically giving up 3 early / mid 1st round picks (Murphy, #8 2012, 2013 1st) for Staal and trading McBain for a late 1st rounder (#22) as they really don't have a need for Strait.

If that's the cost of Staal, I sure hope JR passes and takes his chances if/when he becomes a UFA (Yes..I know Pens fans, other teams will surely outbid Carolina, but that's a chance JR should still take rather than giving up 3 1st rounders).
This^, plus Edmonton has better offers.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:35 AM
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

This is awful

w e l o s t b o y s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:

Wow, GENERAL COMMON SENSE! Not this "1st overall GUUI%$!@!!!!" crap.

We'll stick with the known and let y'all deal with those picks. Any deal involving Staal will or should bring back KNOWN quality, not hopefuls from the draft.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Petro Points

Quote:

Disagree with this.. Landeskog, RNH, Hall and even Seguin took less then 2 seasons to become a force in the NHL. This is not 1992 but 2012.. These top end prospects are all ready for the big show and provide immediate impact. Yakupov can slide right into a line with Malkin and score as much as anyone with 4 yrs experience.

CAR IMO gets the shortest end of the stick here and PIT wins the deal by a big margin.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
My name is Legion
Watch it Burn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
Not bad

Rather do Staal + Bortuzzo + Strait + Lovejoy + 2012 1st for Eberle
You can have Martin if you want.
No Eberle is more or less untouchable IMO.

My name is Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:29 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Disagree with this.. Landeskog, RNH, Hall and even Seguin took less then 2 seasons to become a force in the NHL. This is not 1992 but 2012.. These top end prospects are all ready for the big show and provide immediate impact. Yakupov can slide right into a line with Malkin and score as much as anyone with 4 yrs experience.

CAR IMO gets the shortest end of the stick here and PIT wins the deal by a big margin.
You are ignoring that even if Yakupov makes an immediate impact like those, that even if he has a rookie season like Hall's rookie season, than he still will not be the player the Pens need next year. He may even put up a few more points, if he gets to play with Malkin or Crosby sometimes, but SO WOULD EVERYONE. Stop selling wingers to Pens by saying they'd be good on Crosby's or Malkin's wing. Pascal effing Dupuis and Matt Cooke are good on Crosby's wing.

No one means to belittle Yakupov, they are simply saying a proven top player going from a contender to a non-contender for their draft picks is the wrong way around. For both sides.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:56 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

I think Bortuzzo needs to be Martin or Michalek (assuming Edmonton wants either) for this to work.

Bortuzzo's an NHL defenseman stuck in the minors, but his future in the league is pretty suspect right this second, since he keeps getting 2-3 concussions per year. You can thank Trevor Gillies for suckering him and scrambling his brains for absolutely no reason, by the way, starting this problem.

Other than that, this is good value for each team relative to what they're giving up and fills holes on every team.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Flat out wrong.

Im sorry I didn't realize yakupov could turn out to be a bust. Any person with common sense would take an established player that has proven he can score and play selke caliber defense over a rookie.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:02 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by My name is Legion View Post
No Eberle is more or less untouchable IMO.
Any deal for Eberle would need to include Malkin or Letang from Edmonton's perspective, so it's a non-starter.

Another thing worth noting, is that Carolina has needs on the blueline beyond a Streit, but signing Jordan probably takes care of them long-term. Marc Staal's going to be a free agent at some point, and they've got a huge leg up on any other team in the league in trying to ink him if all 3 of his brothers play for the same organization.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote