HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darcy hanging open for business sign

Old
06-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
There are a couple '13 UFA centers that are worth looking into, including Getzlaf, McDonald and Ribeiro. There's also Fisher, Weiss and Zajac, but they'll probably re-up sooner rather than later.

Edit: St. Louis has several guys I like. Chris Stewart, McDonald, the rights to McClement...
did Colorado trade his rights?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:45 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
That was one of the most frustrating PCs I've heard in a while....pretty much shoots down the popular theories that are going around...Not interested in moving up in the draft, not interested in staal. Interested in guys we have heard of....no one year deals....who does that leave? Nash? Not sure who else.....I hope were not going after nash. Its not worth it Darcy! I hope he sees that....
What exactly were you expecting?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:50 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
What exactly were you expecting?
TBH, I'm not really too sure what to expect at this point. I WAS expecting interest in moving up in the draft for Galenchyuck, or one of the other centers in this draft. Either that or as much as I disliked the idea, make a pitch for Staal.....But at this point both of those ideas are pretty much shot.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I think he builds on last years offseason. I liked what he did and fully believe he will make moves to better the team.
Same. Regier's work has been pretty solid for me since Pegula came in. I have faith he can move out some of the tired pieces and bring back some quality.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Zip15

Quote:
TBH, I'm not really too sure what to expect at this point. I WAS expecting interest in moving up in the draft for Galenchyuck, or one of the other centers in this draft. Either that or as much as I disliked the idea, make a pitch for Staal.....But at this point both of those ideas are pretty much shot.
It's amazing to me that people still get themselves twisted up in knots over Darcy Regier pressers. He's not going to give you useful information. He's going to play everything close to the vest. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:39 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's amazing to me that people still get themselves twisted up in knots over Darcy Regier pressers. He's not going to give you useful information. He's going to play everything close to the vest. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I thought this one gave a bit more information then the average Press conference. I'm not tied up in knots as much as just left not knowing what to think he is going to do. Not that anyone can ever predict DRs moves anyways, I thought the PC just made it even harder to guess his plans.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
That was one of the most frustrating PCs I've heard in a while....pretty much shoots down the popular theories that are going around...Not interested in moving up in the draft, not interested in staal. Interested in guys we have heard of....no one year deals....who does that leave? Nash? Not sure who else.....I hope were not going after nash. Its not worth it Darcy! I hope he sees that....
I do not have particularly high hopes, yet at the same time, when has Darcy ever, every shown his hand to the press when he's trying to make a deal. His trades never hit press channels from his side of the negotiations, if they are sniffed at at all. He's not going to come out in a PC and say who he's going after.

Last summer, did anyone really expect the pre-July 1st Ehrhoff rights deal and signing? Did anyone think about picking up Regehr and a second? He said they wanted to address defense and he actually did it with a prime point producer now on a long-term, super cap-friendly deal as well as a high-calibre shutdown defenseman who adds spine to a butter soft defense.

I don't always like Regier -- sometimes I downright hate his selling himself and the team well short or his valuation of his own assets... but the guy does make deals and does not do it by showing his hand. He said he's looking specifically for a forward, there will be a new forward. He's not going to give up the "who".

06-19-2012, 09:33 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Fans seem to want Regier to say 'I'm going after Player X, and I'm willing to give up Asset A/B/C to get them.'

This is a pipe dream, and in my opinion why a lot of people hate on Regier. They feel entitled to know EXACTLY what he's planning, and who he's planning to move.

I'd rather not know a thing about he's thinking, but just have him cash in on the moves that he does make. Which is has tended to do outside the BTG ownership years.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:35 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I do not have particularly high hopes, yet at the same time, when has Darcy ever, every shown his hand to the press when he's trying to make a deal. His trades never hit press channels from his side of the negotiations, if they are sniffed at at all. He's not going to come out in a PC and say who he's going after.

Last summer, did anyone really expect the pre-July 1st Ehrhoff rights deal and signing? Did anyone think about picking up Regehr and a second? He said they wanted to address defense and he actually did it with a prime point producer now on a long-term, super cap-friendly deal as well as a high-calibre shutdown defenseman who adds spine to a butter soft defense.

I don't always like Regier -- sometimes I downright hate his selling himself and the team well short or his valuation of his own assets... but the guy does make deals and does not do it by showing his hand. He said he's looking specifically for a forward, there will be a new forward. He's not going to give up the "who".
I'm just waiting to see what happens.

It's fun to throw What If's around. But, Regier's moves usually come out of thin air. So, let's wait and see what happens.

If he gets a top line guy, I'm going to guess that he does a deal with SJ, Colorado, or maybe Anaheim.

But, then he'll pull something off that absolutely nobody saw coming.....

And if the scouts on multiple teams don't see a huge gap this year in the top 10 to 15 guys, then I hope that they don't give up a ton to move up on draft day.

I like the idea of staying with the 2 1sts and the 2 2nds and just getting a bunch of guys.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'm just waiting to see what happens.

It's fun to throw What If's around. But, Regier's moves usually come out of thin air. So, let's wait and see what happens.

If he gets a top line guy, I'm going to guess that he does a deal with SJ, Colorado, or maybe Anaheim.

But, then he'll pull something off that absolutely nobody saw coming.....

And if the scouts on multiple teams don't see a huge gap this year in the top 10 to 15 guys, then I hope that they don't give up a ton to move up on draft day.

I like the idea of staying with the 2 1sts and the 2 2nds and just getting a bunch of guys.
I keep thinking they wind up with two picks when all is said and done, be it including something in a deal for an established player or moving up and dealing two picks for one.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I keep thinking they wind up with two picks when all is said and done, be it including something in a deal for an established player or moving up and dealing two picks for one.
I'll guess three picks. I think they hold 12, and either (a) package 21 and a 2nd to move up in the 15-16 range, or (b) package 42 and 44 to get to the top of the 2nd to pick someone they're surprised made it to the 2nd day.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:06 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I know this is a crazy idea, but I wonder if Pegula Bucks could get something like this done.......

The Sabres young core is built around the 3 1st rounders from the '08 draft (Hodgson, Myers, & Ennis).

So, if the Sabres want an impact first line guy, it would make sense that he is from around the '08 draft, right?

The 1st overall pick in 2009 was John Tavares.

The Islanders are having cash flow issues with the issue with their arena.

Could Regier pry Tavares off the Island in a deal where the Sabres take the DiPietro contract off their hands? Would Pegula be OK with 9 seasons of DiPietro making $4.5M to be the goalie in Rochester?

A guy can dream, right?

Old
06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
I know this is a crazy idea, but I wonder if Pegula Bucks could get something like this done.......

The Sabres young core is built around the 3 1st rounders from the '08 draft (Hodgson, Myers, & Ennis).

So, if the Sabres want an impact first line guy, it would make sense that he is from around the '08 draft, right?

Could Regier pry Tavares off the Island in a deal where the Sabres take the DiPietro contract off their hands? Would Pegula be OK with 9 seasons of DiPietro making $4.5M to be the goalie in Rochester?

A guy can dream, right?
I don't think taking DiPi off their hands is enough to warrant moving Tavares. And we would definitely be moving Myers in that equation anyways. Especially since it seems Garth Snow stopped taking the stupid pills he got from Mike Milbury.

Now if we could pry Strome away for something like Leopold and a high pick or another young forward I'd be all for it.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:

A guy can dream, right?
It would still take quite a bit of a package to get Tavares out of NYI. Probably something like All 4 of our 1st and Second round picks, our first and second next year, Roy, Vanek, Sekera,+

Old
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

A guy can dream, right?
You're wrong.Confusing the Devils with the Isles.NJ has a cash flow problem,owing to massive debt issue.

The isles have a bad lease,that won't end for 3 yrs.Forbes reports Wang's cap floor tricks and change to his current lease,has his losses down to $4.5m per season.

Imo DiPietro will either retire or be bought out at some point.He's played a total of 47 games over the last 4 seasons.Wang pisses the fans off because he makes no move to get DiPietro's $4.5m salary off the payroll.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

A guy can dream, right?
NY would be insane to trade tavares just to get out from under DiPi's contract.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:38 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
I don't think taking DiPi off their hands is enough to warrant moving Tavares. And we would definitely be moving Myers in that equation anyways. Especially since it seems Garth Snow stopped taking the stupid pills he got from Mike Milbury.

Now if we could pry Strome away for something like Leopold and a high pick or another young forward I'd be all for it.
I'm not saying Strome is untouchable,but you'll need to explain why the isles would trade arguable their best prospect,for 1 yr of 31 yr old Leopold+ a high pick/another forward.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:40 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
NY would be insane to trade tavares just to get out from under DiPi's contract.
True, but Pegula could give Wang 40.5M reasons to do it.....

That's why I said it was a dream!

Old
06-19-2012, 11:57 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
True, but Pegula could give Wang 40.5M reasons to do it.....

That's why I said it was a dream!
Is this the same Wang who has brushed aside a local would be buyer(Nelson Peltz)?
The same Wang, who refuses to make an agreement with the Barclay's execs. because he has not given up, on keeping the team in Nassua County?

I don't think Wang is using the team's franchise player, to salary dump DiPietro.
Not while he refuses to give up on the arena land and not when a DiPietro buyout,would cost only $1.5m per.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm not saying Strome is untouchable,but you'll need to explain why the isles would trade arguable their best prospect,for 1 yr of 31 yr old Leopold+ a high pick/another forward.
Im working under the assumption that the forward is Armia and we'd add from there.

I realize its a pipe dream.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:04 PM
static80

I'd still like Darcy to make a move for Bobby Ryan from the Ducks.
Schultz is going to test the market, that has me thinking they may need some defensive depth help. The asset's Regier has to work with I would imagine could get a deal done.

I'll guess and say Stafford, Sekera and maybe the 21st overall?

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
I'd still like Darcy to make a move for Bobby Ryan from the Ducks.
Schultz is going to test the market, that has me thinking they may need some defensive depth help. The asset's Regier has to work with I would imagine could get a deal done.

I'll guess and say Stafford, Sekera and maybe the 21st overall?
If they are moving Sekera & 21, I would rather go after a center.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Sabretip

Latest blog from LeBrun:

Quote:
The Buffalo Sabres have four picks in the opening two rounds of the draft and are dangling some of them in an effort to make a trade this week.

"Wed like to," GM Darcy Regier told ESPN.com on Wednesday morning. "We view it as an opportunity because of the additional first-round pick and the additional second-round pick. Weve got some flexibility. So were approaching this as, 'Lets see if we can find some opportunities with this flexibility.' Right now, though, the costs seem to be on the high side. But well see where it goes. Its probably too early right now."

The Sabres have the 12th and 21st overall picks in the first round (the latter courtesy of Nashville via the Paul Gaustad trade) plus the 42nd and 44th overall picks in the second round.

The objective is clear.

"The focus is on how we can add to what we have up front," Regier said. "Thats what we hope to do."

Regier cant discuss names, but its a guarantee he would have already phoned Columbus about Rick Nash. Given that Nash has a no-movement clause and can control his destination, Id rate Buffalo as a long shot. Then theres Bobby Ryan in Anaheim, my TSN colleague Bob McKenzie reporting Tuesday that the Ducks were at least listening for offers for the Team USA winger, and Id be shocked if Regier didnt phone up Ducks GM Bob Murray to also inquire.

What Regier did say is that he was planning on phoning a long list of teams again Wednesday to get an updated view of the landscape.

Keep an eye on the Sabres, theyre planning on being aggressive.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-is-heating-up

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:24 PM
static80

Quote:
If they are moving Sekera & 21, I would rather go after a center.
Regier stated he'd like a center as well, preferably big bodied.
But, he also stated that if an opportunity were there at a reasonable price for an upgrade over what they have in any area, that he'd consider it.

I'd consider Bobby Ryan a very significant upgrade over Stafford, and if I were Regier and I had to give Sekera and the 21st along with Stafford to bring Ryan here, I'm looking for the dotted line already.

The guy is a consistent 30+ goal scorer and can sit in the 60 to 70 point range.

If he is indeed available, you bring him in.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:27 PM
McTank

Center or not bobby ryan brings a lot to this team that we're missing

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote