Jagr to Test Free Agency

Old
06-19-2012, 01:31 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Only if it's for a year max. Don't count on him playing center and we could have a good 2nd line RW option.
Ya it was for playing RW I was thinking of, and why 1 year max?

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Xelstyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Ya it was for playing RW I was thinking of, and why 1 year max?
Just a gut feeling that by the end of that, I'm thinking that we won't be interested in keeping him around.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:51 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystormcgy View Post
I thought Cervenka was brought in specifically for a top 6 centre role? Where did you get the info that he played wing with Jagr?
I dont think we should sign anymore centres who cant win a faceoff, offensive zone starts with Olli were just brutal and theres a reason he was played a lot at the winger position in his last season with Florida.
Cervenka didn't take alot of faceoffs it was more of a 50/50 split. I believe they signed him and called him a center in case Olli walked but I am still not convinced he will be an nhl center.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:10 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
My point is he isn't a typical player most top players will still do well in the bottom 6 but obviously not do as well. But Stajan is a complementary player his game gets better when with talent (obvious I know but him more that others). He is a top 6 player when played as one but you are using his season point totals as evidence against him but he has never played a majority of a season on the top line. When he is in a top 6 spot he is a 50-60 point player as all his statistics show. I think it is a mistake to not use him a top 6 player as he is a top 6 player when put in the position to be.
Exactly!

If Stajan is on this team come opening night, he better be in the ****ing top 6 or I will **** a brick. How Sutter did not understand that Stajan is a complimentary player I do not know.

If Stajan does not play with talented wingers he is borderline useless. He really wore his heart on his sleeve when he played 4th line (I respect that), but he is soooooo out of his element in that role.

Top 6...or get him the hell off this team. We need to play players to their strenghs. Stajan's biggest strength (by a wide margin) is his ability to eat up assists playing with talented players.

Like you talked about further down the page. Cervenka/Backlund/Stajan/...even Cammy need to try out for our center roles. Let the chips fall where they may and then make decisions after (assuming none of these guys are moved prior).

Not gonna lie. I'm not a huge fan of Jagr's personality, but this guy would be a dynamite fit on our team IMO. Him and Cervenka could re-kindle some magic, it's worth the risk of a 1 year contract.

Tanguay-Stajan-Iginla
Glencross-Cervenka-Jagr
Bartschi-Backlund-Cammy (give these guys the easy minutes)

That has the potential to be a scary top 9...Every line is quite skilled and has the ability to put up solid point totals.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:12 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Exactly!

If Stajan is on this team come opening night, he better be in the ****ing top 6 or I will **** a brick. How Sutter did not understand that Stajan is a complimentary player I do not know.

If Stajan does not play with talented wingers he is borderline useless. He really wore his heart on his sleeve when he played 4th line (I respect that), but he is soooooo out of his element in that role.

Top 6...or get him the hell off this team. We need to play players to their strenghs. Stajan's biggest strength (by a wide margin) is his ability to eat up assists playing with talented players.

Like you talked about further down the page. Cervenka/Backlund/Stajan/...even Cammy need to try out for our center roles. Let the chips fall where they may and then make decisions after (assuming none of these guys are moved prior).

Not gonna lie. I'm not a huge fan of Jagr's personality, but this guy would be a dynamite fit on our team IMO. Him and Cervenka could re-kindle some magic, it's worth the risk of a 1 year contract.

Tanguay-Stajan-Iginla
Glencross-Cervenka-Jagr
Bartschi-Backlund-Cammy

That has the potential to be a scary top 9...Every line is quite skilled and has the ability to put up solid point totals.
I just drolled all over the place with the thought of Sven setting Cammy up on the third line.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:14 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
I just drolled all over the place with the thought of Sven setting Cammy up on the third line.
yeah I just edited my prior post to point out the 3rd line should be given the easy minutes against secondary opponents, mostly due to their lack of size.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:16 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
yeah I just edited my prior post to point out the 3rd line should be given the easy minutes against secondary opponents, mostly due to their lack of size.
If Cammy brings the same level of play that we saw near the end of the year (when I thought he was one of our best players) that line could be magical.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Northern Neighbour

Most 3rd lines consist of two-way players who also play a physical game. A Baertschi-Backlund-Cammalleri line could have a lot of trouble in their own end. They would also get physically punished and likely have difficulties cycling the puck in the offensive end, as there's no jam on that line.

And no way Cammalleri starts the year on the 3rd line even if Jagr is signed. Cammalleri either will be centering the first line with Iginla and Tanguay or would be the 2nd-line LW with Cervanka and Jagr.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:34 AM
BVicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Most 3rd lines consist of two-way players who also play a physical game. A Baertschi-Backlund-Cammalleri line could have a lot of trouble in their own end. They would also get physically punished and likely have difficulties cycling the puck in the offensive end, as there's no jam on that line.

And no way Cammalleri starts the year on the 3rd line even if Jagr is signed. Cammalleri either will be centering the first line with Iginla and Tanguay or would be the 2nd-line LW with Cervanka and Jagr.
And that's where the problem lies with Stajan. Stajan in a top 6 and Glencross on the 3rd line? Really?

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
And that's where the problem lies with Stajan. Stajan in a top 6 and Glencross on the 3rd line? Really?
I personally think Stajan should be on the 3rd line. I don't think he's a top-6 forward, but he's a very good 3rd-line centre.

Even if Jagr signed, the team would still need a top-2 centre. Cammalleri would be better suited at LW on the 2nd line while neither Backlund nor Stajan are ideal first-line centres. But in the absence of this, my preferred lines would be:

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla

Cervanka - Backlund - Jagr

Glencross - Stajan - Baertschi

For the fourth line, take your pick out of Jones, Jackman, Aliu, Nemisz, Bouma, etc.

I think Backlund could excel playing with Jagr and Cervanka, and he would be the defensive conscience on that line. That said, Stajan could also rotate into the 2nd-line centre spot, although I prefer Stajan's grit on the 3rd line with Glencross.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Darren dregger just said on tsn that he would not be surprised at all if Calgary went hard for jagr.
Not shocking. Feaster is pretty good at making at least some solid pitches for the top FA's. I'm sure Feaster could front a pretty good offer too. It all comes down to whether Jagr would want to play here which is where my optimism dries out.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Volica

Quote:
I just drooled out of brain damage why a guy who was brought in to rekindle chemistry with Iginla is playing on the third line.
Last year was his first shot at center (after a very long absence from it), and only for a bit, I truly believe he has the skill set to be a center and have a faceoff % of 49-52 (he's truly a gifted player, there's no reason he can't be better in the circle).

I don't want a defensively weak line, those defensively weak lines that are suppose to end up chewing up weak lines end up getting the first line on the road.

I don't see how Stajan fits Calgary going forward, to be perfectly honest. Outside of helping us get a third rounder from Dallas or something.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 50
Am I the only one who doesn't want Jagr here next season? This has got bad juju all over it, he may have one good season left, but at age 40 the likelihood of that last good season having already been played is extremely high.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:44 PM
DBU
Bars for Eons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't want Jagr here next season? This has got bad juju all over it, he may have one good season left, but at age 40 the likelihood of that last good season having already been played is extremely high.
I'm skeptical, I'll admit. His value (despite being on his last legs) may be high, but there's a big difference between playing next to Claude Giroux in Philly, and Roman Cervenka in Calgary who hasn't played an NHL game yet.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:24 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I'm skeptical too, considering he doesn't want to be in Philly. I would imagine he wants money, and he's not a solution to any of our problems except secondary scoring and probably shoot-outs.

We need defensemen and a top six centremen unless Jokinen signs.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:28 PM
BVicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
I'm skeptical, I'll admit. His value (despite being on his last legs) may be high, but there's a big difference between playing next to Claude Giroux in Philly, and Roman Cervenka in Calgary who hasn't played an NHL game yet.
I want him for 3 reasons:

1. To help Cervanka ease into the NHL, and to be a mentor for guys like Baertschi, Backlund, etc.

2. Power play. It's Jagr, nuff said.

3. I think he will take some pressure of Iggy in a sense that someone who has accomplished WAY more than Iggy is now on the same team. Might light a fire under all of them. I don't think anyone on Philly's team were complaining what he brought off the ice.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:58 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1695
Quote:
I agree with you, I don't think signing him would necessarily be bad, but I don't think it would really help us a whole lot either.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:25 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
I agree with you, I don't think signing him would necessarily be bad, but I don't think it would really help us a whole lot either.
I kind of disagree, I think Jagr fits our needs perfectly.

1. We need a RW for next season

2. Our PP sucks

3. Puck possession once we get in the offensive zone

Jagr can really help all 3 of these situations. All it will cost is cash.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post

I don't totally disagree with you and understand what you are saying, but the other side of that coin is having that type of 3rd line would cause a mismatch with most teams and we would burn them with having more skill.

Assuming we could sign Jagr, these would be my lineups:

Tangs Cammy Iggy
Glencross Cervenka Jagr
Baertschi Backlund Latendresse

I would also trade Stajan and sign Latendresse. All lines have a good combination of size and skill, what it is lacking are good FO's guys. Regardless I would still roll the dice and go with it.

I would still like to note my first choice would be to sign Semin.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:12 PM
BVicious

You put Jagr on any line, he makes his linemates better.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
I just drooled out of brain damage why a guy who was brought in to rekindle chemistry with Iginla is playing on the third line.
Last year was his first shot at center (after a very long absence from it), and only for a bit, I truly believe he has the skill set to be a center and have a faceoff % of 49-52 (he's truly a gifted player, there's no reason he can't be better in the circle).

I don't want a defensively weak line, those defensively weak lines that are suppose to end up chewing up weak lines end up getting the first line on the road.

I don't see how Stajan fits Calgary going forward, to be perfectly honest. Outside of helping us get a third rounder from Dallas or something.
A defensively weak line? Backlund is just fine at playing defense which is the most important part and Cammy is not bad either. We need a trigger man for Sven and Cammy would be perfect. I am willing to give Cammy a shot at center but believe he is best used on the wing. I think a Tangs - Cammy - Iginla is interesting but don't like the idea that we have no center on it. I don't think Cammy will get any better at faceoffs.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Body Checker

I would take Jagr on a 1 year deal at a significant price, plays behind Iginla for a year, gives our prospects another year of development

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
A defensively weak line? Backlund is just fine at playing defense which is the most important part and Cammy is not bad either. We need a trigger man for Sven and Cammy would be perfect. I am willing to give Cammy a shot at center but believe he is best used on the wing. I think a Tangs - Cammy - Iginla is interesting but don't like the idea that we have no center on it. I don't think Cammy will get any better at faceoffs.
Defensively bad as in both Backlund and Cammy aren't exactly known as heavyweights in the corner. The latter had some criticisms about his lack of desire to fight along the boards when in Montreal but Cammy gotten better with us I think. Even so, both still fairly small guys who I wouldn't want doing that kind of grunt work.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:42 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Defensively bad as in both Backlund and Cammy aren't exactly known as heavyweights in the corner. The latter had some criticisms about his lack of desire to fight along the boards when in Montreal but Cammy gotten better with us I think. Even so, both still fairly small guys who I wouldn't want doing that kind of grunt work.
Well given that lineup they would not be a checking line also, in the defensive zone physicality is overrated it is all about positional play. Cammy was also criticized for not caring and that isn't the Cammy I know. I don't think it will be a weak line as the 2nd line would most likely be the checking line.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Well given that lineup they would not be a checking line also, in the defensive zone physicality is overrated it is all about positional play. Cammy was also criticized for not caring and that isn't the Cammy I know. I don't think it will be a weak line as the 2nd line would most likely be the checking line.
If the point is to have the 3rd-line match up against other team's 3rd lines, physicality will matter because most team's 3rd lines tend to consist of a couple of physical players and grinders. Most 3rd lines also have size. A Baertschi-Backlund-Cammalleri line could have troubles in their own end in trying to get the puck. They could also struggle with cycling the puck since the line doesn't have much size or physicality.