HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Murray to Receive Ring; Kings apply to have Murray's Name Placed on Cup

Old
06-17-2012, 06:07 PM
T308
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
The whole "name on the cup" process stinks these days. Half the names on the cup aren't even players. Last year there were 22 Bruin players listed and 30 non players. They included the massage therapist for goodness sake. Just wrong.

T308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Terry approves(this is his happy face btw).

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Just curious but why would they have to appeal if he was still working for franchise?

They could have just listed him with names to go on cup along with rest of scouts
I don't think appeal is the right word, probably more like "petition." And I'm not sure why they would have to do it anyway, if he was already a part of the staff.

What about Bernie Nicholls? This guy had an incredible contribution beginning in January and going forward.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by T308 View Post
The whole "name on the cup" process stinks these days. Half the names on the cup aren't even players. Last year there were 22 Bruin players listed and 30 non players. They included the massage therapist for goodness sake. Just wrong.
Some of you guys crack me up...I mean come on already.

A horse has eaten out of that thing (and God knows what else the horse did to it) and it has also been on a three-day bender in Vegas.

Sanctity of the Cup my ass. I think its awesome that it goes everywhere and gets seen everywhere...there is no trophy like it in all of sports, and the more stories it comes with makes it that much more special.

As far as the names that go on it, I couldn't care less if you could find Richard Nixon on there. Bottom line is AT LEAST all the players get on there and that is good enough for me. Don't really care if some "marginal" people find their name stenciled on there as well.

Old
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by T308 View Post
Those are pretty useful to have around when you play nearly a hundred games of Hockey in a year

People like that are generally viewed as part of franchise and well liked by Players

Not absurd to have people who actually work around players and play a part in the healthy and function of the team getting recognized

Hawks during there celebration gave introductions to there lesser folks (All the assistants to various roles on team healthy/skating/etc)

They are part of team and get rings as well

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:55 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Might as well put Steve Bernier on there haha.

maroon 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNamed View Post
Might as well put Steve Bernier on there haha.
He's got my vote. As a matter of fact, I heard he was the runner-up for Conn Smyth.

Old
06-17-2012, 08:08 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Good move! Without Murray, we would never have gotten Sutter!

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:23 PM
KingsCourt

Pure class!

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:14 PM
MsWoof

I like this move, first class all the way!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Classy move, his defensive teachings helped big time, even though I wasn't a fan of him.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
Funny to see the TM support on here but he does deserve a ring and his name on the cup. He did make a lasting impression on the team.
Nobody thought he was a bad coach as much as he wasn't the coach to take us to the next step. We didn't want him fired because he was doing a lousy job, we wanted him fired because he couldn't expand on what he had in place and couldn't get the guys to another level. Wanting him out and not supporting him are two different things.

It is a good move that they are going for the engraving, he was guaranteed a ring any way you slice it.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Some of you guys crack me up...I mean come on already.

A horse has eaten out of that thing (and God knows what else the horse did to it) and it has also been on a three-day bender in Vegas.

Sanctity of the Cup my ass. I think its awesome that it goes everywhere and gets seen everywhere...there is no trophy like it in all of sports, and the more stories it comes with makes it that much more special.

As far as the names that go on it, I couldn't care less if you could find Richard Nixon on there. Bottom line is AT LEAST all the players get on there and that is good enough for me. Don't really care if some "marginal" people find their name stenciled on there as well.
You make perfect sense.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

With obvious apologies to The Pros Pro...Murray deserves a good chunk of the credit for the all around player that Kopitar has developed into.

Last edited by Herby: 06-18-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:50 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Class move by a class organization.

Honestly, I think there are quite a few teams that could use TM right about now, namely Edmonton. TM was instrumental in teaching our kids how to play two-way hockey. He's a good coach, no doubt.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 01:04 AM
ManiacMatty

I support this 100% This is a great gesture to prove our appreciation. He deserves it.

ManiacMatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:27 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I support this because Murray still was with the team after being fired. As well, he was a key part of why we won the cup, Darryl came in and molded the team into a better image, but TM was the one who put the material in place.

We wouldn't have won the cup with Murray in charge, I beleive that, but he desereves a good deal of credit for helping form this team into shape.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Perro

Where are all the Murray haters?
If the team thinks he should be on than I'm ok with it, but honestly we would not have won the cup if he was still the head coach. I wonder if Murray would even want to get his name on the cup without being the active head coach when it was won.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Where are all the Murray haters?
If the team thinks he should be on than I'm ok with it, but honestly we would not have won the cup if he was still the head coach. I wonder if Murray would even want to get his name on the cup without being the active head coach when it was won.
I do not want his name on the Cup, but if AEG wants him on there, more power to them. Who am I to argue?

I have no problem with him getting a ring since he is still employed by the Kings. I'm sure the twitter guys will get a ring.

Also, if Murray gets him name on the Cup, where does it end? Does Jack Johnson get his name too, he did play 61 games with the team? How about Taylor? He drafted Quick, Kopitar and Brown.

Also, did Pittsburgh put their former coach on the cup when they won with Bylsma?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I do not want his name on the Cup, but if AEG wants him on there, more power to them. Who am I to argue?

I have no problem with him getting a ring since he is still employed by the Kings. I'm sure the twitter guys will get a ring.

Also, if Murray gets him name on the Cup, where does it end? Does Jack Johnson get his name too, he did play 61 games with the team? How about Taylor? He drafted Quick, Kopitar and Brown.

Also, did Pittsburgh put their former coach on the cup when they won with Bylsma?
When the Oilers were winning cups Sather wasn't going to give the equipment guys or the training crew rings. Gretzky bought them all their championship rings. Not sure if now it is common for everyone to get a ring.
Man what a crappy problem to have haha. #feelsgoodtobeontop

Old
06-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
When the Oilers were winning cups Sather wasn't going to give the equipment guys or the training crew rings. Gretzky bought them all their championship rings. Not sure if now it is common for everyone to get a ring.
Man what a crappy problem to have haha. #feelsgoodtobeontop
I'm pretty sure when the DUcks won, just about everyone got rings including ushers in some capacity. It is the owner's discretion since it is their money. But when the Ducks won, their rich ass owner wanted everyone to be included so they all go a ring of some sort. I doubt the guy who valet's Teemu's Prius got the same ring that Pronger got but they got something which is incredibly generous of an owner to do.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Dawdler

speaking of rings, is it a possibility that they might offer up replica rings to the fans, I remember having one as a kid for the Dodgers and it was pretty awesome, I'd love to see them do that with the Kings and it would be something to cherish for a long time.

Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
speaking of rings, is it a possibility that they might offer up replica rings to the fans, I remember having one as a kid for the Dodgers and it was pretty awesome, I'd love to see them do that with the Kings and it would be something to cherish for a long time.
I'm getting married this year and I am trying to convince my fiance that my wedding band should be a kings replica ring. So far she is not on board with it.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:22 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

JJ and Taylor are no longer with the organization. hence, no rings for them...

06-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
JJ and Taylor are no longer with the organization. hence, no rings for them...
I'm all for Murray getting a ring and it is deserved, but his name shouldn't be on the cup because he was a pro scout for the team after being fired as the head coach. Are the other scouts getting their names on the cup?

We all know about the rules for the players (41 regular games or 1 SCF game), but how does the Cup work for the management side of things? Is it just head coach, assistant coaches and GM? Does Robitaille and Leiweke get their names on the cup?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote