HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

"With the 20th pick, the Philadelphia Flyers selects..."

Old
06-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I am in the minority in that I don't care if they draft a defenseman or not. I would prefer it if they didn't draft a goalie in the first, but it won't be because they didn't draft a defender. They will fix their need on defense through free agency or trade. I find the whole we must draft defense thing a little silly.
If someone like Koekkoek makes it to 20, I hope they pick him, because he seems to have legitimate 2/3 potential.

But I've backed off a bit my position a few weeks ago, when I really thought they would (and should) take a defenseman, period. If the best defenseman is someone like Finn, who probably ends up a "safe" 4/5, then I'd have no problem if they took a forward not named Tom Wilson.

Basically, I think the Flyers can afford to be a bit aggressive here--and go for a higher risk / reward type.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Broad Street Elite

The more I review the draft, the more it's easy to see why the Flyers love Dumba. Watching film, he's easily the biggest hitter I've seen of the first round defensemen I've reviewed. Some of his clean, devastating open ice hits show a vision that isn't matched by some of the other top defensive prospects. He's now my number 1 defenseman. If he were a little bigger, he'd be my number 1 overall tbh (5'11.5" and 184lbs).

Kid is one of the rare mixes of talent and effort. Strong leadership skills. Understands the game. Plays a ton of minutes. Needs to control his emotions sometimes, but I'd rather a guy try too hard, than not enough.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
The more I review the draft, the more it's easy to see why the Flyers love Dumba. Watching film, he's easily the biggest hitter I've seen of the first round defensemen I've reviewed. Some of his clean, devastating open ice hits show a vision that isn't matched by some of the other top defensive prospects. He's now my number 1 defenseman. If he were a little bigger, he'd be my number 1 overall tbh (5'11.5" and 184lbs).

Kid is one of the rare mixes of talent and effort. Strong leadership skills. Understands the game. Plays a ton of minutes. Needs to control his emotions sometimes, but I'd rather a guy try too hard, than not enough.
Dumba has star written all over him. If i had the number 2 pick, id pick him over murray.

He reminds me of Subban a bit, though subban seems a bit bigger. I really would love to get a d man like that but if we can't I just hope the islanders don't get him either.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:53 AM
BillDineen

Tom Wilson is the number 1 NA forward. Regardless of opinions, it would not surprise me if the Flyers took him.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Amateur Hour

I'm still hoping Homer manages to trade up into the 8-15 range and has a chance to draft Cody Ceci, Oli Maattaa, or Hampus Lindholm.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Jtown

Is it wrong that Im warming up to the idea of Tom Wilson.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Yes.

I'd prefer they flip the pick for a more advanced defensive prospect than take Wilson (or Gaunce, for that matter).

Old
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Yes.
Meet me at ballston metro, we are going to duke this out.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Meet me at ballston metro, we are going to duke this out.
Ha.

There's actually something of a critical mass of us based in NOVA, I think. After Philly / South Jersey, I'm pretty sure that its the next best represented region on this board.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Ha.

There's actually something of a critical mass of us based in NOVA, I think. After Philly / South Jersey, I'm pretty sure that its the next best represented region on this board.
No doubt. Just go to a phillies/nats game and you get an E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES chant.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Yes. His offensive totals are worse than Carcillo's during his draft year. I doubt he has any real impact in the NHL.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Holmgren will get the "benefit of the doubt" no matter who they take. If its Wilson I would be willing to bet he isnt critisized by any of the Flyers media.
I would be willing to bet he will hear the same thing from some around here as well.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Yes. His offensive totals are worse than Carcillo's during his draft year. I doubt he has any real impact in the NHL.
I know its easy to look at his ohl stats and come away unimpressed. But he is unamimously selected amongst the top 20 players in this draft by the various scouting services. Clearly there is something there that intrigues scouts and GM's

Old
06-19-2012, 12:29 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
I know its easy to look at his ohl stats and come away unimpressed. But he is unamimously selected amongst the top 20 players in this draft by the various scouting services. Clearly there is something there that intrigues scouts and GM's
He's big and he can skate. Holmgren's dream come true.

If the Flyers were set in the top 6 and were looking for a 3rd line grinder, then taking a player like Wilson in the 2nd or 3rd round (hahaha, as if there is a 2nd round... ) would be ideal.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:30 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Ha.

Pretty sure there's as many of us here as there are on the Caps board

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
He's big and he can skate. Holmgren's dream come true.

If the Flyers were set in the top 6 and were looking for a 3rd line grinder, then taking a player like Wilson in the 2nd or 3rd round (hahaha, as if there is a 2nd round... ) would be ideal.
Do you really believe he will be available in the 2nd or 3rd round?

If so then why are all these scouting services and mock drafts have him amongst the top 20 players?

Old
06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Giroux was consistently ranked in the 20+ area range by scouts despite finishing with 103 points in 69 games (Huberdeau was drafted 3rd overall last year with 105 points in 67 games). He turned out better than the pick who went first overall. Scouts get it wrong. They have a tendency of ignoring performance in favor of size and intangibles. I don't see the point in blindly following scouts when the draft process is as flawed as it is. I'm betting they got it wrong here and hope like hell the Flyers aren't the fools that make that mistake.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:35 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Real wrong, please explain the warming.

healthyscratch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Real wrong, please explain the warming.
If he was some 6'4 goon who was off the board pick at 20 Id be pissed. But he is a top 20 prospect by a variety of scouting services. He is number 15 by nhl central scouting. To me that means something.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Do you really believe he will be available in the 2nd or 3rd round?

If so then why are all these scouting services and mock drafts have him amongst the top 20 players?
I have no idea - ask them.

He's not a bad player but he's the last guy the Flyers need in the first round. However, he's also about 90% sure to be a Flyer later this week. At that point in time, you may proceed to do whatever happy dance you please.

Personally, depending on which players are still available when the Flyers pick, I reserve the right to call Holmgren a ****ing idiot if he does select Wilson over Gaunce, Finn, etc.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Jtown

Id rather take BPA than need. If they think wilson is bpa then take him.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:53 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Id rather take BPA than need. If they think wilson is bpa then take him.
And would you also take big over an average size player regardless of skill level? Would you take a fighter over a skilled player? Holmgren would and has.

I've resigned myself to the fact that the Flyers will likely draft Wilson. Holmgren won't be able to help himself.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
And would you also take big over an average size player regardless of skill level? Would you take a fighter over a skilled player? Holmgren would and has.

I've resigned myself to the fact that the Flyers will likely draft Wilson. Holmgren won't be able to help himself.
I'm holding out hope someone else makes that mistake before pick 20. If only Toronto had another pick in the 10-19 range.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:01 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
In fairness, no one expected Couturier to make the line up last year (too thin, needed more muscle, skating wasn't up to par, etc......). I think it depends on what said player brings to the table. A guy like Hampus Lindholm probably could make the jump to the NHL simply because of the fact that he's physically ready to make the jump.

It really depends on who the Flyers draft. Personally, I don't think who ever they draft will be ready this year. If Koekkoek didn't hurt his shoulder, he might have been able to make the jump. However, he missed way too much time this past season and going back to junior for another year would do a world of good for him.
The key word was "expect." If they earn it, great. But you can't ink an 18 year old kid in your lineup, especially when you pick #20. Remember Sbisa? He earned it training camp, but shouldn't have been here more than 9 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post

If Dumba was a couple inches taller, I think he would be considered for #1. This kid is a player and who ever gets him is getting a winner.

Quote:
There are probably 15 other guys I'd rather have at #20 than Wilson, but I can see why people are high on him. He may not have put up numbers in the regular season but he had a good playoffs. He's got decent hands too for a big guy.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

yup and seeing as how the Kings are built with size up front it would not shock me at all if he takes Wilson despite the needs elsewhere.
When you only have 1 pick in the first 80 or whatever you really should be looking at adressing a need. I know the Flyers like to take the BPA on the board, but this is a draft where they must start getting defense into the organization. You cannot keep going into the college free agent well year after year.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote