HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What Pegula said about Regier and Ruff makes me nervous

Old
06-19-2012, 11:09 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Ask a Buffalo Sabres fan what they want. For their new owner to be liked? Or for the team to win a Cup? I thought he said his #1 priority was to win a Stanley Cup. Multiple. I'm very confused to where this is going on the being liked part.
Well he did say the way to be liked is to win.

So I guess we just sit back and see what happens. Some people that dont like RUff and Regier say he will fire them if they dont win, some people like myself say he wont, he will only change the roster.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:09 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Ask a Buffalo Sabres fan what they want. For their new owner to be liked? Or for the team to win a Cup? I thought he said his #1 priority was to win a Stanley Cup. Multiple. I'm very confused to where this is going on the being liked part.
Its his job to write checks. Its Ted Blacks job to make him look good. He wants to be liked that's fine. But its not HIS job to build a stanley cup winner. He pays people to do that. If HE were trying to do it everyone as a fanbase would be pissed saying that's the GMs job. I don't get it when people say its his job to make sure we win. There are already people saying he does too much on hockey operations.

I'm glad Pegula is here and I'm glad that he is trying to make this organization into one of the most respected teams in the league, and give us the opportunity for a cup by removing the budget limits we had in place before. It takes more then a year to build a contender, just ask Pittsburgh.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

I just want Ruff gone ):

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:41 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Its his job to write checks. Its Ted Blacks job to make him look good. He wants to be liked that's fine. But its not HIS job to build a stanley cup winner. He pays people to do that. If HE were trying to do it everyone as a fanbase would be pissed saying that's the GMs job. I don't get it when people say its his job to make sure we win. There are already people saying he does too much on hockey operations.

I'm glad Pegula is here and I'm glad that he is trying to make this organization into one of the most respected teams in the league, and give us the opportunity for a cup by removing the budget limits we had in place before. It takes more then a year to build a contender, just ask Pittsburgh.
Ok, so how long will he give the guys he pays to build a Stanley Cup winner? I just thought he said it would take 3 yrs. Or was it 3 yrs. to build a cup contender? Then another 3 yrs to actually win a cup? Because that is a 6 yr. plan. IMO if Black is the one in charge of thinking R&R can get it done and they fail. What is that gonna make Black look like? Then what will happen?

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:43 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Im ready for the offseason, hopefully Pegula feels strongly the roster needs change at least.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Clock

Let's not get too hung up on semantics.

Part of the reason he might enjoy working with them is that he deems them as being effective (which, in turn, could mean "driving toward a championship").

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:51 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Im ready for the offseason, hopefully Pegula feels strongly the roster needs change at least.
Hopefully R&R feels strongly the roster needs a change.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Layne Staley

"They aren't going anywhere" - Terry Pegula

And neither is your team Terry

15 freakin' years Ruff has been coach and has still not won a cup. And he never will because he is a loser. Look at the past few cup participants , all those teams coaches must have been coaching those teams for 5-10 years

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:11 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Hopefully R&R feels strongly the roster needs a change.
Hopefully.

I feel like Im stuck in the movie groundhog day since 2007. GM, Coach, and Core keep coming back.

Honestly, I wouldnt be shocked if they bring back Gaustad.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

I thought it was 1997.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:42 PM
BuzzKillington90

Disclaimer: I'm no fan of Lindy Ruff, however the following is 100% accurate for 40% of you 75% of the time.

The only people who are finding what Pegula said so problematic are the ones with their Anti-R&R agenda already written, notarized and in a box they are staring at every day breathless in anticipation to open it.

I'm going to make this simple: Nothing. Pegula. Says.....Will.Make.You.Happy..... Unless it happens to be "Darcy and Lindy were let go."

Honestly, Its illogical to the point of insanity. Yes you hate Lindy, yes you hate Darcy, yes Pegula is the freaking anti-christ for referring to them as "People he likes to work with."

Oh and btw, to any "Injuries aren't an excuse" type people in here...I dare you to find me one NHL franchise that could lose between 8-10 of their STARTING lineup, replace them with AHL'rs and not struggle. Honestly, at one point this year we were down: Vanek/Gerbe/Regehr/Myers/Sekera/McCormick/Hecht/Weber/Leino/Kaleta At the same...freaking...time...(give or take one or two from the list)

Some of you live in a fantasy world in which the team on paper defines the season record without regard to anything that occurs during the season...

/end rant.

BuzzKillington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Superhero

When was the last time a forward was brought in from another team and played better here than he did for his previous team?

How many forwards on the current roster play well over an entire season instead of only parts of seasons?

Too many problems with underachieving players and inconsistent players. There is a problem with coaching!

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
When was the last time a forward was brought in from another team and played better here than he did for his previous team?
stu barnes

Quote:
How many forwards on the current roster play well over an entire season instead of only parts of seasons?
one

Quote:
Too many problems with underachieving players and inconsistent players. There is a problem with coaching!
agreed

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:57 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
stu barnes

one

agreed
1st question: Danny "Blasphemous to bring is name up" Briere, Heck even Chris "The other Blasphemous name not to be brought up" Drury...

2nd Question: If you're a numbers guy and your definition of playing well uses thoses numbers...Maybe Pominville, otherwise, Just Pominville.

3rd Question: I love when people say we have inconsistent and underachieving Players, yet blame the Coach. I tend to believe All three phases of player personnel has failed this team for years.

IMO, order of level of failure: Management>>>>Players>>>Coaching (not just Head Coaching)

Sorry for Using Your Quote Jame...Clicked wrong one, haha. Don't read too much into it.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:08 PM
tsujimoto74

I really don't get where the "omg Pegula will never fire anyone!!" fear is coming from. If you've listened to him over the season, he's a patient business man -- doesn't want to overreact. He absolutely will fire them, imo, should he feel it's necessary. As of right now, this was his first full season working with them, and the team finished the season strong despite missing the playoffs. I think it's entirely fair for Pegula to give them 2-3 years to prove they can make this team a winner, and there is really no basis for firing Regier based on how he performed with the annual budget of $5 he had before Pegula bought the team. That said, if the team gets off to a slow start again this year, I hope Ruff is let go, and if they still miss the playoffs, then Regier can follow.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:15 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post

You have to be kidding? If there is one myth about Ruff it is that he doesnt get the most out of his players. There are no facts to back it up, in fact you can find more facts to support the opposite.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKillington90 View Post
Disclaimer: I'm no fan of Lindy Ruff, however the following is 100% accurate for 40% of you 75% of the time.

The only people who are finding what Pegula said so problematic are the ones with their Anti-R&R agenda already written, notarized and in a box they are staring at every day breathless in anticipation to open it.

I'm going to make this simple: Nothing. Pegula. Says.....Will.Make.You.Happy..... Unless it happens to be "Darcy and Lindy were let go."

Honestly, Its illogical to the point of insanity. Yes you hate Lindy, yes you hate Darcy, yes Pegula is the freaking anti-christ for referring to them as "People he likes to work with."

Oh and btw, to any "Injuries aren't an excuse" type people in here...I dare you to find me one NHL franchise that could lose between 8-10 of their STARTING lineup, replace them with AHL'rs and not struggle. Honestly, at one point this year we were down: Vanek/Gerbe/Regehr/Myers/Sekera/McCormick/Hecht/Weber/Leino/Kaleta At the same...freaking...time...(give or take one or two from the list)

Some of you live in a fantasy world in which the team on paper defines the season record without regard to anything that occurs during the season...

/end rant.

This about sums it up quite nicely.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:22 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
You have to be kidding? If there is one myth about Ruff it is that he doesnt get the most out of his players. There are no facts to back it up, in fact you can find more facts to support the opposite.
Start findin'

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:31 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Start findin'
Find what? I mean you can start with Connolly, Briere hasnt been as good in the regular season, Drury, McKee, Kotalik, Paille, STu Barnes, Satan...

I would say DUmont, MacArthur are a couple names that got better away from Ruff. A few others others like Campbell, Lydman, and Tallinder were basically the same as they were here.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Luceni

in my eyes there are just two options:

You stick with the players or you stick with the chiaching staff.

The result of last year showed that something is wrong. And I don't know if its a choaching or a player problem.

But if you don't want to have the same disappointing results again then some changes need to happen.

Pegula decided to stick with the choaching staff. So the core players have to go.

I don't want to see another season of Vanek, Myers, Roy and many more struggling under ruff.

And again, I'm not saying its just a choaching problem. I just think that we've seen enough games of that core playing under ruff. And the results weren't good.

So terry decided to keep ruff. So I hope we see some major roster changes this offseason.

If there won't be any changes, we will see another inconsistent floating season of our team. And the result will be that we are going to miss the playoffs.

Book it.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
aceface33

You guys should listen to Pegula's interview on the audio vault if you haven't yet. It was pretty eye opening to me.

My read was that he is involved quite a bit in player moves and a lot of the decision to spend on Leino and Ehrhoff last year was his idea. In his words "we needed to get some things done last year." He said they are not taking that approach this year- which I took to mean they will not be spending big money in the free agent market.

Also the comparison of Ruff to Joe Paterno was extremely worrying to me. I'm wondering if we might be talking about a lifetime coach here. In Pegula's words, "Ruff was a few bad breaks away from 2 stanley cups."

aceface33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

i don't have a definitive read on Mr. Pegula and I suppose I never will. But one thing I've learned is not to take comments out of context and run with an assumption. I think he can say a few things that don't mean a great deal with regards to the grand scheme of things. I think sometimes he's just trying to be personable and polite to the interviewer. I don't think Ruff and Regier have charmed him so much that the Sabres can miss the playoffs next season and the axe wont drop.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
You guys should listen to Pegula's interview on the audio vault if you haven't yet. It was pretty eye opening to me.

My read was that he is involved quite a bit in player moves and a lot of the decision to spend on Leino and Ehrhoff last year was his idea. In his words "we needed to get some things done last year." He said they are not taking that approach this year- which I took to mean they will not be spending big money in the free agent market.

Also the comparison of Ruff to Joe Paterno was extremely worrying to me. I'm wondering if we might be talking about a lifetime coach here. In Pegula's words, "Ruff was a few bad breaks away from 2 stanley cups."
Support, especially public support can go very far to change the image of your club. The Sabres get plenty of negative press, all Mr. Pegula is trying to do (probably) is bring about positive reinforcement, that can only lead to a stronger work environment and instill confidence throughout the organization. That's good leadership from the Big Cheese.

And yet again, like I said in my last post, this doesn't mean he wont drop the axe if the team doesn't do well. Things can change in a hurry in this business.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Again, in terms of player movement, Pegula will do what he can every year. I dont see him making a move where we need the biggest change, our decision makers.

If they miss the playoffs again they may trade Ryan Miller or Vanek or someone else, I dont see Pegula changing the GM which would then lead to a coaching change. Regier is never going to fire Ruff..
Winning a Cup and retaining Ruff/Regier aren't mutually exclusive options.

I think it's a rather safe assumption that we, the fan base, have seen enough of Ruff and Regier. If Pegula's acting like a businessman, he's prioritizing results first. He might not think that Ruff and Regier have hit his personally-set threshold for not achieving results. Pegula may think that past results were skewed by parameters that he has removed.

(Not a Ruff / Regier supporter or detractor - agnostic on the subject at this point)

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:29 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Hopefully.

I feel like Im stuck in the movie groundhog day since 2007. GM, Coach, and Core keep coming back.

Honestly, I wouldnt be shocked if they bring back Gaustad.
Ditto this. Couldn't have said it better myself. Each new season is starting to feel like a nightmare when we've known for god knows how long the problems with this core. I'm happy to root for loveable losers, but this team? Being fed the same uninspired lightweights year in and year out is more testing of my fandom than the 2002-04 years. At least those guys were captained by Stu Barnes.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote