HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XI - Luoraker (Mod warning #432)

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
And that effects you guys too.
Lindback takes Tampa out of the market for a goalie.
Harding increases the chance that Backstrom is available.
Harding signed a backup's contract, not a starter's one.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I'll give you the first, 2nd though - not a chance.
Agreed. Harding is the Wild backup and his salary reflects that. Backstrom will not be on the market.
I never really considered Harding to be a legitimate alternative to Luongo anyways.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:58 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
I'll give you the first, 2nd though - not a chance.
And I think your wrong there. I dont see the Wild paying a guy 6M to play 40 - 50 game next season and then losing him for nothing in the offseason.

They can trade him now, get something nice back for him and save 6m. That's a big deal for a team on a budget.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:59 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Harding signed a backup's contract, not a starter's one.
And that means he cant start? What do the Wild do next year when Backstrom is a ufa?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Actually its quite the opposite Gillis is now at a disadvantage as teams are filling their roster with goalies and really only place left is Toronto. Toronto can play hardball and go with Reimer/Scrivens or they can make a deal for a better goalie with a better contract like HALAK.

Gillis has a starting goalie who is abused by fans and in the biggest game of their season was bench for a young/rookie goalie to me that signals that the team does not have confidence in LU and Scheinder is now the starter.

You can say they can afford to carry both but I tell you right now that will only work on paper. Luongo is not going to be happy backing up another goalie and the dressing room harmony will suffer accordingly.

Gillis cannot carry both goalies and think everything will be alright. Luongo does not want to sit behind Corey and he will and must be moved.

Don't expect a good return for him.
Keep telling yourself that. With the cap going up to 70 we could sign Schneider for 4 and wait until the right opportunity presents itself.

And, again, we can always trade Schneider instead.

Gillis is on record stating multiple teams have contacted him about Luongo, and I doubt Tampa was ever one of them.

Great time to be a Canucks fan, we have an abundance of riches and will maximize our return.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:01 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
And that means he cant start? What do the Wild do next year when Backstrom is a ufa?
Re-sign him or let him walk. Either way, that won't be decided until next year and no team in need of a goalie will be willing to wait a year in the off chance they can sign Backstrom.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:02 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that. With the cap going up to 70 we could sign Schneider for 4 and wait until the right opportunity presents itself.

Gillis is on record stating multiple teams have contacted him about Luongo, and I doubt Tampa was ever one of them.

Great time to be a Canucks fan, we have an abundance of riches and will maximize our return.
As the days go by it certainly appears that all the leverage is shifting to GMMG.

Good time to be a 'Nucks fan indeed.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Trade for Luongo?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Keep dreaming.......Wild are going hard after Parise, they will not trade their #1 if they have any hopes in signing him. Parise will want to go to a solid team.

I know it unfortunate for your team, but options just keep slipping away, dont they.....

#GRASPINGATSTRAWS

Old
06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
Re-sign him or let him walk. Either way, that won't be decided until next year and no team in need of a goalie will be willing to wait a year in the off chance they can sign Backstrom.
If by wait a year you mean run Reimer/Scrivens or overpay for Luongo....i'll wait a year. And just so i don't get another infraction, i am in no way dissing Luongo, his contract or the Canucks orginization, i just don't want to give up some of the assets mentioned in these threads.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:05 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I think that this is where we disagree. I see Florida with Markstrom as needing a short term solution. I don't see anyone in the Leaf's system at his level. Last year all of the talk was about Reimer or the Monster being the long term solution. This year it's changed to Scrivens. I think a lot of people underestimate just how difficult it is to develop pr acquire a number one goalie. Everyone points to Mike Smith and other cases where goalies came out of nowhere but that's the exception rather than the rule. It's like saying that every undrafted defensive prosepct will develop into Dan Girardi. It could happen but it's a longshot.
I know how difficult it is to develop your own goalie. We haven't done it since the 90's. But we have 2 young guys in our system that have shown plenty of potential.
Like I said for the right price Luongo is an appealing option but we arent mortgaging our future to make it happen as unlike many Canuck fans say we do have other options.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
mstad101

Anyone saying Backstrom is available needs to go look in the Harding signing thread. Every Wild fans no to this unless a major upgrade to the roster is coming back.
Are you Leafers really going to think you can get Backstrom cheaper just because he's got a shorter term correct?
Wait a minute, I thought Lu was the cheap one because of the long contract?

Just face facts and realize your prospects may never even sniff Lu's jock strap.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Samzilla

Quote:
Actually its quite the opposite Gillis is now at a disadvantage as teams are filling their roster with goalies and really only place left is Toronto. Toronto can play hardball and go with Reimer/Scrivens or they can make a deal for a better goalie with a better contract like HALAK.
That's like trying to negotiate a stand-off with police by telling them you've got a hostage when you're just putting the gun to your own head.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:08 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Keep dreaming.......Wild are going hard after Parise, they will not trade their #1 if they have any hopes in signing him. Parise will want to go to a solid team.

I know it unfortunate for your team, but options just keep slipping away, dont they.....

#GRASPINGATSTRAWS
See this is why we will never come to a consensus in these threads.

Both fan bases think they have all the leverage and will ignore anything that doesn't support their conclusion.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

No one is even talking about Schneider being on the market so it is Luongo that is going and Gillis is commenting on it.

He has $46 million to unload, not an easy job to get much for that.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Where is our boy poundcake to make us yet another thread?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:10 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

It's all set, I'll post it now

Old
06-19-2012, 01:10 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Don't expect a good return for him.
Then we won't trade him.

It's really funny that you see the starting goalie of a Present's winning club, one year removed from being nominated for the Veizna, as a huge problem for us to keep (especially at a $5.3M cap hit). Trading Luongo is a practice in asset maximization, is there is nothing to be gained from trading him, why bother?

The Canucks are tied for 3rd favorites to win the Cup, they will almost certainly make the playoffs with their current roster. If Luongo starts 41 and Schneider starts 41, they will both steal us a lot of games, that's not a bad thing. If Luongo starts 30 and Schneider start 52, there's no problem there either. If Schneider falters and starts 25, you still have Luongo to play 57 games. Still good, which isn't true if we trade Luongo.

Add that the UFA pool sucks so why do we neeed to clear cap space? We have $14M in space left to sign Cory Schnedier (3.5m), Mason Raymond (2.2m), and MA Gragagni (700K)...including extra off-season cap room, we can sign $15M worth of UFAs + new acquisitions then dump cap in "soft deals" as required to get back down to the cap. There's absolutely no reason for us to make a "soft deal" now. If we have trouble coming to terms with Schneider despite a "promise" to make him starter, then we would likely just trade him and be stuck with our other amazing goalie.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

#GRASPINGATSTRAWS
Not really. Was Harding the answer to our goaltending woes? No.

He was an option. Just like Luongo.

Talk about #GRASPINGATSTRAWS.

What next? #OMGTHELEAFSLOSTOUTONCLEMMENSEN ?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:12 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
New thread time boys. Up and running.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
If by wait a year you mean run Reimer/Scrivens or overpay for Luongo....i'll wait a year. And just so i don't get another infraction, i am in no way dissing Luongo, his contract or the Canucks orginization, i just don't want to give up some of the assets mentioned in these threads.
You may wait a year, but you can bet Burke does not have that option!

Closed Thread