HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Kyle Woodlief of the Red Line Report has the Kings picking Scott Kosmachuk in his mock draft.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...aft/55649854/1
Quote:
30. Los Angeles — Scott Kosmachuk. The Stanley Cup champs have the luxury of taking whoever they deem the best player left on the board, regardless of position. That being the case, we think Kosmachuk is just the style of player co-chief scout Mike Futa likes.
http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...-draft-profile
Quote:
“If you hadn’t seen me play before, then I would describe myself as a player who will do anything to win. I block shots, make defensive plays, sacrifice anything to get the win. I bring speed; scored 30 goals, so I can find the back of the net. I think it’s just trying to be a solid all-around player and doing what I can to help the team.”
Sounds like a solid all-around player with a high compete level, traits that the Kings find highly favorable. Could be a replacement for Justin Williams many years down the road.

Old
06-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Kosmachuk would be way off the board there. Interesting selection. If the Kings can find a dance partner, IMO, they should trade down. Get 37 + 50 from NSH or 42 + 44 from BUF. Players from 20-50 are all very very close. Better to pick up two of them to better the chances. Honestly this is a rather weak draft, all players 20-50 probably wouldn't be first rounders in other years, so maybe Dean will have good luck since there are all basically 2nd round talents

Old
06-17-2012, 03:48 PM
damacles1156

This draft is pretty weak.

I bet Lombardi takes a D man at 30.

Old
06-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Jwm1986

We all know how Dean Lombardi covets his mid round picks, so i am expecting some moves made to get us at least another 2 or 3rd rounder...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see one of Alec Martinez/Thomas Hickey traded at the draft...Having both is redundant....Especially with Forbort, who i believe has an extremely high ceiling and will be a top 4 2 way defense man within 2 years...

We also have Mullen, who came out of nowhere to have very very solid offensive numbers....who knows what we do with him or even Muzzin for that matter...

I think it will come down to Management determining who is in our long-term future between Martinez/Hickey, Forbort/Muzzin, and trade the other eventually...

What i am really eager to see play out is what we do with Bud Holloway....He has turned into a fantastic prospect and i honestly believe that he has Matt Moulson type upside....i really hope we dont screw that up and give him a chance to at least make the team out of camp....

Old
06-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Martinez has proven he can play in the NHL. The others have not. It would be incredibly stupid for the Kings to move Martinez now. He was one of those under sung performers during the post season and was solid as a rock on the blueline.

Old
06-17-2012, 08:41 PM
damacles1156

Also Hickey and Mullen are not under contract right now, Mullen is a UFA

Hickey is a RFA.

Kings probably just keep both, there is really no need to trade them for picks, so you can start the whole development process over again.

A-Mart is going no where.

Old
06-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Nose of Sutter

If this was before the trade deadline I'd consider moving A-Mart, but not now. He had a solid playoff and has developed alot. The guy is already solid two way defenseman

Old
06-17-2012, 09:49 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Some say the draft is gonna be real weak this year:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/06/16/...akest-in-years

Old
06-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Yeah, Marty has shown a lot in these playoffs. It would be stupid to move him now.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:27 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Bob McKenzie's poll of NHL scouts has Phil DiGiuseppi at 30. Tell me you don't want him

Herby back me up here damn it!

Old
06-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Phil Di Giuseppe has a nice skill set, but I do worry if he'll be the next Jeff Tambellini (their scouting report reads quite similarly).

Here's a profile on him from The Score.
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...p-di-giuseppe/

They raise an interesting point and he could be taken one pick ahead of the Kings by the Devils. Conte loves US born kids.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:13 PM
BringTheReign

I'm very wary of college kids after JMFJ. Jack was a great talent, but I feel like playing in college made him less well-rounded in the long run. Di Giuseppe looks great, but I doubt his skills will translate quickly.

Not to say there haven't been great players out of college hockey, but traditionally I feel like they are either long-term projects or they never amount to what they're scouted to be.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:12 AM
SCARFACE909

Well the Kings don't need an impact player right now, any prospect they draft won't make the show for a while anyways.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:28 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Position aside, I hope the Kings go for a high risk, high reward project type of guy. We can afford to take risks right now, as we're not in dire need of anything.

On the other hand, I sure would love a guy like Tom Wilson.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:27 AM
McSorley 33

I'm thinking a role player at this spot or a great middle pairing d-men. I could be wrong but I dont see a stud forward at the 30th spot.

How about one of:

Stefan Matteau
Scott Laughton
Dalton Thrower
Lukas Sutter (maybe with a late second pick if we acquire one)

I like Mitchell Moroz a lot, as he's the Kyle Clifford of the group and was pegged to go late in round two by McKenzie's top sixty. He can do it all, hit, fight and score.

Trevor Carrick and Trel Seaman would be great pick ups too. All of these guys mentioned play the game rough and tough and are productive at their roles too.

I would love to see us move back and get two seconds and draft any two of these guys mentioned above.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:35 AM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Position aside, I hope the Kings go for a high risk, high reward project type of guy. We can afford to take risks right now, as we're not in dire need of anything.

On the other hand, I sure would love a guy like Tom Wilson.
Wilson is Colton Tuebert as a forward. I would love to get this guy because we don't have a player like him in our system; were not getting him though and he will be drafted earlier than expected.

I like Trel Seaman who play's a similiar game.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:03 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Hahahaha I've never NOT looked forward to the draft before. I can't believe it's 2 weeks away and all I can think about is WHO CARES!!!!!! WE'RE THE CHAMPS BABY
Haha, same here. I used to countdown the days to the draft. this year... Draft-schmaft, we won the cup mothaf..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The best part about the draft is going to be all of those team execs/GMs walking up to the podium and congratulating the LA Kings for their Stanley Cup victory.
I forgot about that until you said it. I will relish those moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
I want Dalton Thrower, I mean the guy's last name is Thrower and he can fight. I'll draft based on a name, that was my reasoning behind wanting Cal Clutterbuck.
Thrower is who i want to at 30 if we go with a D-man. We are deep at D but lack one like this since we dealt Teubert. I'd welcome this pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
If Columbus doesn't take the pick, I see #30 being moved to try and acquire a couple more picks
I figure we could do this. Deal the 30th for something like 37 and 50, especially if DL covets someone who is likely way off the board and a draft like this caters itself towards that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
I'm very wary of college kids after JMFJ. Jack was a great talent, but I feel like playing in college made him less well-rounded in the long run. Di Giuseppe looks great, but I doubt his skills will translate quickly.

Not to say there haven't been great players out of college hockey, but traditionally I feel like they are either long-term projects or they never amount to what they're scouted to be.
I am too somewhat, but for some kids that's a good thing to have extra development time. That said, my preference is for junior kids, simply because of the number of games played leans towards higher development rates. That said, I wouldn't shy away from going after a Beau Bennett type if one is there come our pick.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
DaAnimal

wait i thought this years draft was going to be one of the best? Now everyone is saying the opposite?

Old
06-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
wait i thought this years draft was going to be one of the best? Now everyone is saying the opposite?
I haven't seen anyone say that. It's been known for a while that this is a top heavy draft with no certainties after the top 7-8. Pretty similar outlook as the 1996 and 2007 drafts.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
SuperAlmeida

I'm looking forward to hear the other teams congratulate the LA Kings with the win! I don't think DL will have much to say this year. I think Futa takes the final decision.

I could see us take a C or D.

My hopes for the 1st round pick ranked: 1. Kerdiles, 2. Frk, 3. Samuelsson, 4. Laughton, 5. Thrower.

Kerdiles, Frk and Samuelsson are all powerforwards with some skill (great hands). Laughton is a hard-working player, but no Wow-factor with him. Thrower is "Dumba light"!

Old
06-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

I imagine Dean is salivating over Dumba - perfect definition of a Lombardi prospect. It would take a lot to trade up and grab him, but it's certainly happened before.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
I imagine Dean is salivating over Dumba - perfect definition of a Lombardi prospect. It would take a lot to trade up and grab him, but it's certainly happened before.
Adding Dumba to an already deep defense would be scary. I'd imagine the Kings would have to part with some significant assets to make that happen. Someone like Forbort would have to go along with possibly another top tier prospect. Dumba is very much like Subban, explosive and physical. Would love to see it happen but I don't think the Kings will be able to pull that off.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Martinez has proven he can play in the NHL. The others have not. It would be incredibly stupid for the Kings to move Martinez now. He was one of those under sung performers during the post season and was solid as a rock on the blueline.
Martinez was amazing in the playoffs. Very much forgotten because of Doughty's amazing playoffs and Voynov's struggles.

No way does Dean trade Martinez, the Kings have the perfect blend on defense right now and they are all signed for next season.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:25 PM
SuperAlmeida

If we pick a defenseman, then I'm not against Jordan Schmaltz (D):

Quote:
The Green Bay Gamblers paid a hefty price for Jordan Schmaltz in November sending four players to the Sioux City Musketeers in order to acquire his rights. Since the trade, Schmaltz has been nothing short of a standout in Green Bay and is currently 2nd in points among defensemen with 26. Schmaltz has also helped power the Gamblers to the top of the standings this season with hopes of securing a Clark Cup before suiting up for the Fighting Sioux in North Dakota next season.

When coming down the ice, Jordan shows extreme poise with the puck and an uncanny ability to control the play up ice. His hockey sense is second to none (a key ingredient in making a puck-moving defenseman). Coming off a terrific season where he led all defenseman in points, Schmaltz continues his development and has garnered great interest from scouts around the USHL. In various rankings that I’ve seen – including my own – Schmaltz has been able to make the top 30 quite a bit, and for good reason. Besides his poise and hockey sense, Schmaltz has a heavy slapshot from the point and his fluid skating gives him an advantage over his opponents.

Being in an already top-heavy draft for defenseman, Jordan Schmaltz will be looking to distance himself from the rest in terms of his production and all-around game in the coming weeks. Under the direction of Dave Hakstol, Schmaltz should transition just fine from the USHL to the NCAA-style of game. If you’re heading to Vegas anytime soon, I’d say it would be a wise decision to bet that Schmaltz will be taken in the 1st round since there are a plethora of NHL teams who could use his services in the offensive zone.

Scout’s Honor:
“A big bodied defender with offensive skill (note: this is a recording), Schmaltz is an agile skater who loves to rush the puck himself and control the game. He has vision out the butt and knows how to open lanes on the Power Play. His shot possesses some power and weight behind it, but will get better as he gets stronger.” – Brian Huddle, HockeyBuzz

“Is an instinctive and smooth puck mover with seamless skating ability. Strong, all directions skater with a wide base and a long reach. Tremendous offensive skill and vision, especially from atop the blue line. Has NHL touch and polish with the puck and can feed the puck crisply, smartly and with purpose. Keeps his head up on retrieval, and when working the puck, which makes his play with the puck unpredictable and hard to read.

Keen defensive anticipation and relies heavily on his mobility, positioning and stick-work to complete his defensive responsibilities. Has great size and is still quite upgradeable. However, he is not known for physicality or grit, and this will be something he must address in the future, especially deep in his own zone and in front of his net.” – Reel Hockey Scouting

“In his 3rd USHL season, Schmaltz has fallen victim to overexposure in the USHL this year. While other players are stepping up in their 2nd year’s in the league, Schmaltz has seen his touted offensive upside level out as he shows an increased commitment to the defensive end of the ice. To his credit, he has established himself as a much more reliable defenseman this year, but it has opened up some concern about his ability to contribute at a high level offensively while bringing strong play at the other end of the ice. Schmaltz is committed to the University of North Dakota (where his younger brother, 96YOB Nick Schmaltz has also committed) and next year will be a great barometer of what type of player he is and just how high his upside might be.” – The Scouting Report

International Tournaments:
Schmaltz has played a total of 15 games of international competition in which he has recorded 1 goal and 2 assists.

ETA = 2-3 years
Risk/Reward Analysis:
Risk: 0/10 Reward: 8.5/10

NHL Potential:
First or second pairing offensive defenseman capable of quarterbacking the powerplay.

Strengths:
Vision
Hockey Sense
Great first pass
Shot from the point
Poise
Skating
Puck Control

Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:
Physicality
Increase strength
Develop a more solid two-way game
Fantasy Hockey Potential:
Offensive: 8/10 Defensive: 4/10

NHL Player(s) Comparison:
- Keith Yandle

- Drew Doughty

- Scott Niedermayer-lite

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 06-19-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old
06-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Just for fun, can anybody imagine a deal which gets us into the top 7 and doesn't take a player from the core?

Bernier, Lokti, Moller & a 1st to Toronto for #5? (Probably not - Kadri is their Lokti.)

And a technical Q. If we wanted to use #30 to trade up, could we strike a small deal with CBJ to give up their option in advance?

Closed Thread