HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XII - For Your 1st-and-a-Prospect Only (Mod warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 02:11 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

vCash: 500
Luongo XII - For Your 1st-and-a-Prospect Only (Mod warning in OP)

So the thread title was a bit of a stretch. Some are easier to do than others...
*All thread titles are jokes, do not take seriously*

The other ones:
Roberto Luongo I - Dr Luooooo
Roberto Luongo II - From Vancouver With Love
Roberto Luongo III - Goldwinner
Roberto Luongo IV - Thunderpuck
Roberto Luongo V - You Only Get Traded to Florida Twice
Roberto Luongo VI - On Her Majesty's Secret Tire Pumping Service
Roberto Luongo VII - Jennings are Forever
Roberto Luongo VIII - Sieve and Let Die
Roberto Luongo IX - The Man With The Golden Medal
Roberto Luongo X - The GM Who Loved Me
Roberto Luongo XI - Luoraker

For reference, here the list of James Bond films I am basing the thread titles off of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_James_Bond_films

Be Nice.

------------------------------------------------------------

MOD WARNING - Please stay civil around here. If you cannot stand the thread - ignore it. If a user is trolling/flaming/baiting - REPORT THE POST.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:11 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Don't expect a good return for him.
Then we won't trade him.

It's really funny that you see the starting goalie of a Present's winning club, one year removed from being nominated for the Veizna, as a huge problem for us to keep (especially at a $5.3M cap hit). Trading Luongo is a practice in asset maximization, is there is nothing to be gained from trading him, why bother?

The Canucks are tied for 3rd favorites to win the Cup, they will almost certainly make the playoffs with their current roster. If Luongo starts 41 and Schneider starts 41, they will both steal us a lot of games, that's not a bad thing. If Luongo starts 30 and Schneider start 52, there's no problem there either. If Schneider falters and starts 25, you still have Luongo to play 57 games. Still good, which isn't true if we trade Luongo.

Add that the UFA pool sucks so why do we neeed to clear cap space? We have $14M in space left to sign Cory Schnedier (3.5m), Mason Raymond (2.2m), and MA Gragagni (700K)...including extra off-season cap room, we can sign $15M worth of UFAs + new acquisitions then dump cap in "soft deals" as required to get back down to the cap. There's absolutely no reason for us to make a "soft deal" now. If we have trouble coming to terms with Schneider despite a "promise" to make him starter, then we would likely just trade him and be stuck with our other amazing goalie.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
For your team only?

For your cap dump only?

Old
06-19-2012, 02:13 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

I really want to see what the op is gonna go with Octo*****.

Old
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love

vCash: 1212
I loled at the title.

Old
Nuckles
RIP Capgeek

vCash: 50
I'm feeling hungry right now.

I'll trade Luongo for a steak and baked potato.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Love the thread titles continuing the James Bond way. It just adds a little fun to a new thread.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

There will be no resolution from either side.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:16 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
For your team only?

For your cap dump only?
haha, yeah. those are good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I really want to see what the op is gonna go with Octo*****.
Yeah, should be fun, especially since half the title is censored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I loled at the title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Love the thread titles continuing the James Bond way. It just adds a little fun to a new thread.
TY guys , I am actually a little concerned we'll run out of Bond films at the rate we are going.

Last edited by PoundCake: 06-19-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old
06-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Mm, that new thread smell.

Now then, so Harding's gone, and Backstrom isn't available. How much does this change Louie's value?

Old
06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
AlmightyPO

Although I disagree, I think Burke has no problem going into next season banking on Reimer having a bounce back year. Although I believe that we need Luongo, I can't see Burke being pushed into overpaying as he has too much faith in Reimer, and is against long cap circumvention contracts.

Knowing Burke's BS he will probably explain his decision of not doing anything to the goaltending on having a new system, and coach as well as Scrivens' great AHL playoffs, and Reimer having a summer to fully recover.

This is why I think if the Leafs get Luongo it will not be an overpayment.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:20 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
Knowing Burke's BS he will probably explain his decision of not doing anything to the goaltending on having a new system, and coach as well as Scrivens' great AHL playoffs, and Reimer having a summer to fully recover.
TBH, those are all actually pretty good reasons for not doing anything.

Luongo would still be an upgrade though.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Skead

Quote:
Although I disagree, I think Burke has no problem going into next season banking on Reimer having a bounce back year. Although I believe that we need Luongo, I can't see Burke being pushed into overpaying as he has too much faith in Reimer, and is against long cap circumvention contracts.

I could see it, but it'll be a big risk. I mean, the coach has been changed out, the only thing left is Burkie. There aren't a lot of GM positions kicking around so I bet he feels a bit of pressure to get some stability.

If he can go with a reliable 1-2-3 year goalie he can count on, absolutely. But if there isn't any.........

Old
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Then we won't trade him.

It's really funny that you see the starting goalie of a Present's winning club, one year removed from being nominated for the Veizna, as a huge problem for us to keep (especially at a $5.3M cap hit). Trading Luongo is a practice in asset maximization, is there is nothing to be gained from trading him, why bother?
Because Luongo wants to be traded and from all recent reports Gillis is working on making it happen.

It's like every thread starts from zero again.

Old
Numbers

Quote:

Hockey is a results driven business, nothing will protect him if does not have success this year, especially in the first 3 months.

Thats a lot of pressure he will put on Reimer and not to mention a rookie like Scrivens.

That is a great way to ruin prospects for the future.......

Old
06-19-2012, 02:22 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
TY guys , I am actually a little concerned we'll run out of Bond films at the rate we are going.
11 more until Skyfall.
If you keep doing them after the trade in the threads disusing the return we should definitely get there.
I guess you could do something with the still unnamed Bond 24.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:22 PM
TOML

Harding re-signed in Minny. Luongo's value just went up.

All that's left is Bernier now, and he'll likely re-sign as well. Niittymaki? Biron? Mason? Johnson? The Monster? Ho-hum.

TOML

Old
06-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
It seems to me that I've seen an equal number of posts from TBay fans and Leaf fans stating that their GM's are the epitome of honesty.
Can't speak for Leaf fans, but the difference with the Tampa Bay fans is that, as far as I've seen, they don't waffle back and forth. We've pretty much said solely that Yzerman does what he says, hasn't wandered from his public statements to date. That has held true again. I have yet to see Tampa fans say that you can't believe what Yzerman says, that's he's bluffing, that he tries to drive the price down via the media, etc., whereas it seems Canuck fans go back and forth.

Quote:
Most people who follow hockey know that any GM couches their remarks so that they give nothing away. Yzerman is no different than Gillis on this. As to the posts from both sides, I'd say that there has been some very balanced and thoughtful posts from both sides of the argument. Of course, there are always going to be more extreme posistions. That's the nature of sports and how fans view their own players.
Absolutely. I think I tried to be certain to say "some" fans or "many" fans or "the more extreme fans." Can't remember. I'd be surprised if I said "all fans" because I don't think that way. If I did, I apologize.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:

All he has to do is what he did with Nash. If it was/is gonna cost the 5th oap or Gardiner he walks and says exactly that.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Then we won't trade him.

The Canucks are tied for 3rd favorites to win the Cup, they will almost certainly make the playoffs with their current roster. If Luongo starts 41 and Schneider starts 41, they will both steal us a lot of games, that's not a bad thing. If Luongo starts 30 and Schneider start 52, there's no problem there either. If Schneider falters and starts 25, you still have Luongo to play 57 games. Still good, which isn't true if we trade Luongo.

Add that the UFA pool sucks so why do we neeed to clear cap space? We have $14M in space left to sign Cory Schnedier (3.5m), Mason Raymond (2.2m), and MA Gragagni (700K)...including extra off-season cap room, we can sign $15M worth of UFAs + new acquisitions then dump cap in "soft deals" as required to get back down to the cap. There's absolutely no reason for us to make a "soft deal" now. If we have trouble coming to terms with Schneider despite a "promise" to make him starter, then we would likely just trade him and be stuck with our other amazing goalie.
I am not arguing or disagreeing with you but keeping both doesn't do the Canucks any good. It may keep you guys on the same level as last season but it most likely will cost you. Keeping both will be improper asset management.

How are you signing Schnedier to a deal longer than 1 year if Luongo is still in Vancouver? He clearly wants to be a starter, and mentioned that he may have to start "thinking for whats best for him" after the playoffs. That tells me if Luongo is still there he is signing a one year deal.

Now fast forward a year, Schnedier is now a pending UFA, and Luongo is a year older. You face the same decision then as you do now, only Schnedier possibly walks for nothing if you keep both.

Do you trade Schnedier at the deadline to a team hoping that he will sign with them? I think that would mean you get less value for him than you would trading him this off-season. Do you trade Luongo at the deadline or off-season? You really think he will hold the same value then as he does now?

My point is Vancouver has really nothing to gain by keeping both, but quite a bit to lose. I think it is the Canuck's best interest to trade one as keeping both is most likely going to turn out to be improper asset management.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Mm, that new thread smell.

Now then, so Harding's gone, and Backstrom isn't available. How much does this change Louie's value?
Says you.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Harding re-signed in Minny. Luongo's value just went up.

All that's left is Bernier now, and he'll likely re-sign as well. Niittymaki? Biron? Mason? Johnson? The Monster? Ho-hum.

TOML
I wonder if Gillis kind of phones and asks "sooooo, just curious if you're planning on keeping Bernier. We're VERY Interested! Oh you are? Okthanksbye! *click*"
Gillis rubs hands together maniacally

Old
06-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Cogburn

So I fell asleep early...did we get anywhere with Edmonton?

Old
06-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that. With the cap going up to 70 we could sign Schneider for 4 and wait until the right opportunity presents itself.
Keep in mind there's a new CBA coming. Not only might the cap not go up to 70, it could stay the same or be lower than it is now.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Keep in mind there's a new CBA coming. Not only might the cap not go up to 70, it could stay the same or be lower than it is now.
It'd be extremely tough to convince the NHLPA to lower the cap when the league just announced a 3.3 billion year...

Edit: The cap IS 70.3 million, so the only way it would go down is if the CBA had the players revenue share go down from 57%

Closed Thread