HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ-PHI (Rick Nash rumors and proposed deals; update: traded to NYR, July 23)

Old
06-19-2012, 07:46 AM
FlyersMania2

vCash: 500
Giroux to CBJ for Nash...

I have nothing intelligent to add to this but I couldn't help but post due to the absurdity

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:33 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Giroux to CBJ for Nash...

I have nothing intelligent to add to this but I couldn't help but post due to the absurdity
The original post was actually Giroux, Bourdan, 2nd Rounder and Shelley for Nash.

And people wonder why I don't come around here much anymore, lol.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:43 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey17jp View Post

4. Columbus would love to get Jody Shelley back on their roster ( if not than maybe Ian Laperriere or even Hartnell)
Laperriere retired and Hartnell is like giving up a mini-Nash (if Hartnell can sustain production). That alone makes the deal completely unfair for both sides. Now if Hartnell was a centerpiece for the trade we're talking about something different.

CBJ would be looking for at least a player for now, a top prospect or two, and at least one 1st round pick for Nash alone. Chances are good they wouldn't want anyone off our team we would part with except for JVR and even then they would want prospects we wouldn't part with such as Schenn or Couturier, not our borderline D prospects. They might take them in place of additional picks since none of them had full seasons of NHL playing time without being injured or looking out of place at times, but not as prospects.

Our chances of getting their 1st and a player like Mason (not saying we would trade for him, just an example) are better than getting Nash. We can't pay the price for him, but other teams will be able to.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
TP
Global Moderator

Awards:
Knock it off.

If you want to insult each other, do it in a PM. Only warning.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
None intended.. We could easily give them the Klotz while getting rid of the partying Giroux AND we get back captain material in Nash
Whaaaa..??? I'm taking this as a funny joke, I wouldn't trade Giroux for any player in the NHL at all

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
Whaaaa..??? I'm taking this as a funny joke, I wouldn't trade Giroux for any player in the NHL at all
As you should. Please, people... enable your sarcasm detectors, especially when it's something so blatantly obvious. There isn't a single Flyers fan alive who would trade Claude Giroux for ANYONE. When his career is over, he'll be a Hall of Fame candidate and his number will hang from the rafters along with those of Clarke, Parent, Barber and Ashbee. And, no, none of that is an exaggeration -- G is going to be a Flyer for life.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
As you should. Please, people... enable your sarcasm detectors, especially when it's something so blatantly obvious. There isn't a single Flyers fan alive who would trade Claude Giroux for ANYONE. When his career is over, he'll be a Hall of Fame candidate and his number will hang from the rafters along with those of Clarke, Parent, Barber and Ashbee. And, no, none of that is an exaggeration -- G is going to be a Flyer for life.
Remember when we said that about richards?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
No, honestly, I don't.

Was Richards "untouchable"? Yes. Was he as "untouchable" as Giroux is now? No.

I don't think there was ever a time that we could honestly say that we would not trade Richards for any player in the league. I know I didn't. He was / is more of a 1B center--a terrific, terrific asset, but probably not the guy you want anchoring a traditional top line that has to carry the offense.

I really can only think of a handful of players who hold Giroux's value--and they all make at least double what he does.

From a sheer value perspective, Stamkos is probably the only player I'd swap him for--simply because he's three years younger and almost guaranteed to score an average of 40+ goals every year for the next decade.

I never felt that way about Richards--even at his peak here in Philadelphia.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Other than the "flyer for life" comment, no.

I would never have said any of the other things about Richards. Giroux and Richards shouldn't even be in the same conversation.

I'm sure I'll get the "well they aren't, Richards has a Cup and Giroux does not" response...but honestly, player wise, Giroux is on another level.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
Other than the "flyer for life" comment, no.

I would never have said any of the other things about Richards. Giroux and Richards shouldn't even be in the same conversation.

I'm sure I'll get the "well they aren't, Richards has a Cup and Giroux does not" response...but honestly, player wise, Giroux is on another level.
I don't think it is even that Richards is on "another level" as a player--I think it is simply about value. Richards was never a 90+ point forward on a $3.75 cap hit.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I don't think it is even that Richards is on "another level" as a player--I think it is simply about value. Richards was never a 90+ point forward on a $3.75 cap hit.
He was a much better two way player who put up 75 points in 07-08 on a 942.4k cap hit.. Which I'd say is a better deal

Old
06-19-2012, 01:23 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
And Giroux doesn't know defense and doesn't play as physical as Richards. Holy ****.

You guys are seriously trying to compare Giroux to Richards? They are, always have been, and always will be two very different types of players. Comparing them is pointless. They bring very, very different things to a team and play very different roles. Every team needs some of each kind of player.

Jesus, the revisionist history around here is amazing.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
And Giroux doesn't know defense and doesn't play as physical as Richards. Holy ****.

You guys are seriously trying to compare Giroux to Richards? They are, always have been, and always will be two very different types of players. Comparing them is pointless. They bring very, very different things to a team and play very different roles. Every team needs some of each kind of player.

Jesus, the revisionist history around here is amazing.
First, calm down.

Second, I dont' disagree with anything here... but that doesn't mean their values were the same, right?

A 90+ point forward with decent defense on a $3.75 contract >>> 70 point forward with very good defense on a $5.75 contract.

If you look around the league, you can find some of the latter. You'd be hard-pressed to find the former.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Krishna

Quote:
I dont' disagree with anything here... but that doesn't mean their values were the same, right?

A 90+ point forward with decent defense on a $3.75 contract >>> 70 point forward with very good defense on a $5.75 contract.

If you look around the league, you can find some of the latter. You'd be hard-pressed to find the former.
What about Richards' 75 point year at 942k?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:31 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
And at what point is Giroux's defense decent?

Look, I love Roo. His skill with the puck is so much fun to watch and the jawdropping dangles are awesome. He's fantastic. He can get himself or his linemates into scoring positions almost effortlessly.

But let's not pretend that he is anything but barely adequate defensively.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I was excluding ELCs--since, aside from bonuses, they aren't really negotiable in any meanginful sense.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Krishna

Quote:
I was excluding ELCs--since, aside from bonuses, they aren't really negotiable in any meanginful sense.
Well if you leave ELCs out, then you should leave out contracts that the player signs away a ton of UFA years

Old
06-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Well if you leave ELCs out, then you should leave out contracts that the player signs away a ton of UFA years
Fine. Look at second contracts that expire before a player hits UFA: Giroux's the best value in the league.

I'm not sure why this stirred up a hornet's nest. Perhaps we should simply reverse the discussion--my argument was that, with the possible exception of Stamkos, there is no player in the league who I would trade one-for-one for Giroux, as a matter of value and production.

I assume, based on your response, that you disagree?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:59 PM
hockeyfreak7

Wow, what the hell is going on in this thread.

I love Richards, but Giroux at this point in time is one of the NHL's top 10 most valuable players.

Giroux may or may not stay there, but Richards was never there. At any time.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Wow, what the hell is going on in this thread.

I love Richards, but Giroux at this point in time is one of the NHL's top 10 most valuable players.

Giroux may or may not stay there, but Richards was never there. At any time.
It all started because someone said Roo was untouchable in Philadelphia. No big deal. Goldfish memories, that's all.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:22 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
It all started because someone said Roo was untouchable in Philadelphia. No big deal. Goldfish memories, that's all.
Giroux is untouchable based on sheer value. 3.75m for 93 points is untouchable no matter which way you put it. If we were to get fair value for Giroux, it would put us way over the cap.

That's why he's untouchable.

Richards was untouchable from a fans perspective-- not from a management perspective. Giroux is simply untouchable for the time being because of what he brings to the team at the price that he brings it. His value can not be moved.

It's a different kind of value. Giroux is untouchable.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

If Wayne Gretzky wasn't untouchable, Giroux is not untouchable. No player is untouchable.

06-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
If Wayne Gretzky wasn't untouchable, Giroux is not untouchable. No player is untouchable.
Setting aside the contexts--no cap, cash could be sent for players, we've really getting away from the primary question.

Sure, no player is "untouchable," in the sense that there is always some hypothetical trade that you could construct. But that's a very abstract discussion.

At issue here, I think, is a more practical and direct question: Is there any player in the league you would move the player for, one for one?

I think the answer to that, with Richards, was always "yes." I'm not sure it is, right now, with Giroux.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 06-19-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old
06-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I think the answer to that, with Richards, was always "yes." I'm not sure it is, right now, with Giroux.
That's a tremendously interesting intellectual exercise, actually. There's a small handful of players (Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby, Datsyuk) that would be interesting to weigh the pro's and con's on, but you're probably right in terms of play level per dollar.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:42 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Pierre LeBrun on TSN: The #Flyers are "very aggressive" in their attempt to pry Rick Nash from Columbus.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote