HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XII - For Your 1st-and-a-Prospect Only (Mod warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Ched Brosky

vCash: 500
Toronto fans are starting to grasp for straws.

First theory: Less teams after Lou because of all the goalie signings
MOSTLY WRONG! The only team that may have been in the hunt for Lou that got a goalie was TB. Theres still Columbus, Chicago, Toronto, Edmonton. Florida and Winnipeg may have interest in Lou as well.

2nd Theory: Backstrom is available.
WRONG! Harding is just as injury prone and then what will they do if he goes down? run with 2 rookies? Minny fans have said unless they upgrade their team, Backstrom isn't going anywhere! That means KESSEL or PHANEUF or GARDINER + 5th.

3rd Theory: Toronto has power because they can say they are fine with a Reimer/Scrivens tandem and wait yet another year LOL
WRONG! Look at what a Reimer/Gustavsson combo did lol. Burke called out the teams goalies. You really think he will be fine with going with a goalie he called out and had as a 1A/B goalie and a rookie? enjoy another year of a top 10 pick i guess an hope to god Hackett is ready so the Wild decide to let Backstrom go next season and that he doesn't go to New Jersey instead.

Lets face facts Leafs fans. The only goalies left on the market are washed up has beens, backups, very unproven old back ups.

UFA Market of goalies who have even a slim chance to be an actual starter are:
Scott Clemensen (doubt he leaves Florida)
Cristobal Huet (was bad in Europe)
Chris Mason (okay back up for the Jets)
Martin Biron (good back up, hasn't been a good starter since leaving Buffalo)
Al Montoya (fluke season candidate)
Dan Ellis (couldn't stop a beachball last time he was a starter still an okay back up)
Dwayne Roloson (41 and is rapidly declining)
Johan Hedberg (highly doubt he leaves New Jersey but after Clemensen best option)

Trade market has Jonathan Bernier but then again the bidding war for him will most likely be more competitive than for Luongo as Bernier is young and will help a team for a decade. Something teams that are re-building like Edmonton or Columbus need.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:33 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Harding re-signed in Minny. Luongo's value just went up.

All that's left is Bernier now, and he'll likely re-sign as well. Niittymaki? Biron? Mason? Johnson? The Monster? Ho-hum.

TOML
Bernier is signed, for a friendly $1.25M, and has another year until RFA. And Quick is signed for one more year at $1.8M, until UFA. I'm sure re-upping Quick is top priority, but why would they trade Bernier when they have such a sweet deal w both guys, esp until Quick is signed?

Bernier goes nowhere, IMO.

Old
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
My point is Vancouver has really nothing to gain by keeping both, but quite a bit to lose. I think it is the Canuck's best interest to trade one as keeping both is most likely going to turn out to be improper asset management.
It may, however, be in their interest to keep both going into next season (assuming there is one). With GM's and their advisors having had time to evaluate their cap situation vis-a-vis the new CBA, and with the coaches having had time to evaluate the goalies they have to work with at the quarter or halfway mark, Vancouver may get a better deal mid-season if a team thinks that goaltending is the only thing standing in the way of making/going deep in the playoffs.

I don't think Vancouver wants to have both by the end of next season, but they may not have a problem with having both at the beginning of it.

Old
TOML

Yeah the cap ceiling is still going up. It's the cap floor that's the issue. As well as player/owner division of revenues.

TOML

Old
06-19-2012, 01:34 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Says you.
It makes zero sense for the Wild to trade Backstrom right now. If they tank this season then maybe they look to move him later in the year. Right now, given their cap space, propsects on the UFA market and so on, it looks like the Wild are reloading, not rebuilding.

The odds of Backstrom being traded before Christmas, if he's traded at all, are very slim imo.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:34 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

It's a good thing the two fan bases don't have to agree on a deal.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
I could see it, but it'll be a big risk. I mean, the coach has been changed out, the only thing left is Burkie. There aren't a lot of GM positions kicking around so I bet he feels a bit of pressure to get some stability.

If he can go with a reliable 1-2-3 year goalie he can count on, absolutely. But if there isn't any.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Hockey is a results driven business, nothing will protect him if does not have success this year, especially in the first 3 months.

Thats a lot of pressure he will put on Reimer and not to mention a rookie like Scrivens.

That is a great way to ruin prospects for the future.......
Pretty much the same response so I respond here.

Burke has never made a panic move while here. He didn't do it last season at the trade deadline during our epic collapse, and took a few too many games to fire Wilson thinking he could right the ship. We need goaltending, but it is highly unlikely Burke is going to be overpaying for Luongo.

Also I think there is a chance Burke steps down as a GM after this season regardless and take on another role with out team, promoting Nonis.

This is only what I think of Burke's thinking. I would be making a trade for Luongo, but I am not our GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
All he has to do is what he did with Nash. If it was/is gonna cost the 5th oap or Gardiner he walks and says exactly that.
Exactly, I forgot the most important part! He would obviously also say that it is not worth overpaying when all those reasons point to a bounce back year. I don't necessarily agree, but do agree that the 5th/Gardiner are off the table.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Harding re-signed in Minny. Luongo's value just went up.
If Harding and his agent thought that he could be mentioned in the same sentence as Luongo then they would have gone to UFA.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
It may, however, be in their interest to keep both going into next season (assuming there is one). With GM's and their advisors having had time to evaluate their cap situation vis-a-vis the new CBA, and with the coaches having had time to evaluate the goalies they have to work with at the quarter or halfway mark, Vancouver may get a better deal mid-season if a team thinks that goaltending is the only thing standing in the way of making/going deep in the playoffs.

I don't think Vancouver wants to have both by the end of next season, but they may not have a problem with having both at the beginning of it.
Pretty much this. It's no secret that it would be nice to resolve the goaltending situation before the start of the year. However, if that resolution meant receiving cap-loaded garbage in return, there is no point - or need - to do so.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Numbers

Quote:

Burke has never made a panic move while here. He didn't do it last season at the trade deadline during our epic collapse, and took a few too many games to fire Wilson thinking he could right the ship. We need goaltending, but it is highly unlikely Burke is going to be overpaying for Luongo.

Also I think there is a chance Burke steps down as a GM after this season regardless and take on another role with out team, promoting Nonis.

This is only what I think of Burke's thinking. I would be making a trade for Luongo, but I am not our GM.

Exactly, I forgot the most important part! He would obviously also say that it is not worth overpaying when all those reasons point to a bounce back year. I don't necessarily agree, but do agree that the 5th/Gardiner are off the table.
Keep in mind he has not done a panic job in the past because his job was secure and was not going into its final year......

Old
06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
It'd be extremely tough to convince the NHLPA to lower the cap when the league just announced a 3.3 billion year...

Edit: The cap IS 70.3 million, so the only way it would go down is if the CBA had the players revenue share go down from 57%
Which is what just about every media outlet is suggesting the NHL wants and why most believe there will be a lockout to start next season.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Skead

Quote:

Panic move and pressure are two different things. I don't take Burke as the type to make a panic move, but I do imagine he feels pressure from the organization / himself / fans, etc that as the goalie options dwindle down it will less likely be a dump and now a "hockey trade"

Old
06-19-2012, 01:41 PM
AvantiCanada*

I have an honest feeling that Schneider is being quietly shopped to a few teams for a targeted package.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:42 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
I have an honest feeling that Schneider is being quietly shopped to a few teams for a targeted package.
It's a distinct possibility. Even more so if the club feels Lack is the real deal. Get 3 or 4 more years out of Luongo, get a king's ransom for Schneider, and have Lack slowly take over.

It keeps the club highly competitive in the short term, and sets them up to continue being so in the long term.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:43 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
I am not arguing or disagreeing with you but keeping both doesn't do the Canucks any good. It may keep you guys on the same level as last season but it most likely will cost you. Keeping both will be improper asset management.

How are you signing Schnedier to a deal longer than 1 year if Luongo is still in Vancouver? He clearly wants to be a starter, and mentioned that he may have to start "thinking for whats best for him" after the playoffs. That tells me if Luongo is still there he is signing a one year deal.

Now fast forward a year, Schnedier is now a pending UFA, and Luongo is a year older. You face the same decision then as you do now, only Schnedier possibly walks for nothing if you keep both.

Do you trade Schnedier at the deadline to a team hoping that he will sign with them? I think that would mean you get less value for him than you would trading him this off-season. Do you trade Luongo at the deadline or off-season? You really think he will hold the same value then as he does now?

My point is Vancouver has really nothing to gain by keeping both, but quite a bit to lose. I think it is the Canuck's best interest to trade one as keeping both is most likely going to turn out to be improper asset management.
My post was in response that all we will get for him is cap space.

If all we are getting for Luongo is cap space now, we really don't need to trade him. I'd rather have him as a $5.3M backup/insurance on Schneider then getting cap space for him (as we do not need cap space). That is all I was saying.

If Schneider isn't comfortable signing a long-term deal now despite being promised a fair shake at the starters job (with money to support that) what makes you think he'll sign a long-term deal after we trade Luongo?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:43 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Keep in mind he has not done a panic job in the past because his job was secure and was not going into its final year......
If Burke gets fired he gets another job. If Burke gets fired after making panic moves to save his job he doesn't find another one so easily.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:44 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
Which is the only way the Canucks are going to get any value back if they trade a goaltender.

Old
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Which is what just about every media outlet is suggesting the NHL wants and why most believe there will be a lockout to start next season.
If there's a lockout to start next season the league can go **** itself...and the players too. Neither side deserves support from the fans.

Old
TOML

Harding was another goalie mentioned in the TO goaltending situation thread.

TOML

Old
06-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
All he has to do is what he did with Nash. If it was/is gonna cost the 5th oap or Gardiner he walks and says exactly that.
And I don't think many Canucks fans are asking that (it seems the 5th/Gardiner/Komisarek are being mentioned less and less).

I think most Canucks fans are looking for some combination of Schenn/Kulemin/Kadri/Colborne/Ashton etc

Old
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post

Possibly for Schneider, but like I said Schneider is a pending UFA, he runs the risk of walking if that team can't sign him which could reduce the value.

Luongo has one less year of quality play, there is no possible way you can argue his return could be higher mid-season than now especially given his NTC. You don't trade for a 10 year contract for a mid-season patch up.

Not to mention Gillis is rumoured to be looking for a hockey trade, meaning not really picks or prospects. What do you think you are going to get mid-season or trade deadline? Realistically no team trying to make the playoffs is sending big pieces to you guys but rather high picks and prospects.

Old
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Which is the only way the Canucks are going to get any value back if they trade a goaltender.
This post defies all logic in my opinion. The Canucks are trading from a position of strength. The market for top-flight goaltenders available is ONE; yet the Canucks have no leverage? Nonsense in my opinion.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:46 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Panic move and pressure are two different things. I don't take Burke as the type to make a panic move, but I do imagine he feels pressure from the organization / himself / fans, etc that as the goalie options dwindle down it will less likely be a dump and now a "hockey trade"
Agreed. I never would have really characterized acquiring a top 10 goalie as a panic move. It would seem to be a pretty sensible move for Burke to acquire one who is on the market. Trades don't have to always be about one team fleecing the other. Most often trades are made where both sides benefit.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:46 PM
arsmaster

What? No OctoLUssy?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:48 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Sure. And then if we started a Schneider trade thread Leaf fans would flood it offering Komisarak and MCcarthur for an 'unproven backup.'

Closed Thread