Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Harding (3 years, $1.9M Cap Hit)

Old
06-19-2012, 01:22 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 694
It's a perfectly reasonable deal filled with rationality. A managable, level-headed, sane, fair deal.

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Was pretty interested to see the term as it appeared Harding was returning(figured it would have been 1 or 3 years, had my "issues" with both). 3 years is pretty risky. Josh Harding has not established himself as a starting caliber goaltender in this league, nor has he proven he can stay healthy for a full season. While the contract doesn't suggest we expect him to be an elite goalie, Matt Hackett's got 12 games of NHL experience and will be #3 on our depth chart assuming Backstrom is not dealt. Are we comfortable with a Hackett/Harding tandem in 13-14 when Hackett's proven so little at the NHL level(and won't get a chance unless injury/trade, though the former is likely to happen) and Harding can't stay healthy? Very risky. Hackett's in the NHL in 13-14, with us or someone else. Now we've made a commitment to Harding.

I didn't really want Harding back. I wanted Matt Hackett to win a battle with a veteran on a 2-way and get ~30 starts behind Niklas Backstrom in 12-13, so that we could have a better idea of what Hackett is before his next contract(and what kind of tandem partner he needed, as Backstrom is expiring). He's proven everything he needs to in the AHL and didn't disappoint in his 12 appearances with the Wild last season.

The salary/term isn't a problem for Harding. Its the risk we're making for the 13-14 season, a season which failure could cost people jobs(unless they lose them after 12-13). If Harding can stay healthy for these 3 years, then GMCF will deserve a ton of credit for believing in him. But history suggests he can't stay healthy. Only time will tell.
Thats a joke right? He's been a very good goaltender when healthy. He put up solid numbers with both coaching systems and has had a pretty good Sv. Pct every year. I could care less against GAA, because goaltenders can't help the number of shots their facing. Other than 09-10, he averaged a lower Sv. Pct than the average in the NHL. And he was close, even though that was the Richards era team. He's a very good goaltender, don't know where you've seen otherwise.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PuckInTheNards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I would be hoping that Fletcher is talking about trading up with Columbus, Islanders, or Toronto using Backstrom. Too much to hope for?
From what I've heard and read, Fletch is opposed to trading up in the draft so I doubt it would happen but Toronto is looking for a starting goaltender so they'd be a logical choice.

PuckInTheNards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNards View Post
From what I've heard and read, Fletch is opposed to trading up in the draft so I doubt it would happen but Toronto is looking for a starting goaltender so they'd be a logical choice.
I don't think we could get all the way to Columbus with just Backstrom.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Thats a joke right? He's been a very good goaltender when healthy. He put up solid numbers with both coaching systems and has had a pretty good Sv. Pct every year. I could care less against GAA, because goaltenders can't help the number of shots their facing. Other than 09-10, he averaged a lower Sv. Pct than the average in the NHL. And he was close, even though that was the Richards era team. He's a very good goaltender, don't know where you've seen otherwise.
And that's why he hasn't proven to be a starting caliber goalie. This year was his high in games played (a whopping 34) and he still battled injuries this season.

I agree with saywut. It's a better short-term deal than long-term.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Now let's just get Latendresse re-signed and I'll feel a lot less nervous about this team throwing away its young assets.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

I love how we are complaining about not having a good defenseman and then when we bring up a trade, we're like this is so unfair for Minnesota!

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Backstrom could fetch more than Schenn.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:31 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Backstrom could fetch more than Schenn.
With that high cap hit?

Like who?

Schenn is only 22 years old and has a ton of upside. He has a higher cap hit but he is definitely a top 3-4 defenseman and I think he get's too much criticism because he plays on the Leafs.

I see Backstrom possibly getting a Dwayne Roloson like deal. A 1st with a conditional 3rd tossed in there at the deadline.

Last edited by thestonedkoala: 06-19-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Typos
Old
06-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Congrats to my friend and one of the best in his business. Well worthed and what a good signing for our team !! Congrats to josh harding
http://twitter.com/thetender48/statu...49379487670272

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
I didn't really want Harding back. I wanted Matt Hackett to win a battle with a veteran on a 2-way and get ~30 starts behind Niklas Backstrom in 12-13, so that we could have a better idea of what Hackett is before his next contract(and what kind of tandem partner he needed, as Backstrom is expiring). He's proven everything he needs to in the AHL and didn't disappoint in his 12 appearances with the Wild last season.
It was already made clear that Hackett needed more AHL seasoning. We're not going to rush this kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
I love how we are complaining about not having a good defenseman and then when we bring up a trade, we're like this is so unfair for Minnesota!
I'm not opposed to trades... It's just too soon. The ink on Harding's contract hasn't even dried!

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Rabid Husky

Good transition deal to Hackett if Harding proves he isn't up to the workload/can't stay healthy/doesn't perform. It's also good for him because if he plays well he can get a larger number deal either with the Wild or elsewhere after this one.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
I'm not opposed to trades... It's just too soon. The ink on Harding's contract hasn't even dried!
Usually trades happen before the ink even is applied. Trade, sign :p

Old
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Congrats to my friend and one of the best in his business. Well worthed and what a good signing for our team !! Congrats to josh harding
https://twitter.com/thetender48/stat...49379487670272

Hear that? Our team...

Old
06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Hahaha, maybe it's because he's still a Wild player until July 1st?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:44 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Makes me happy. Three years is a little surprising (considering his last umpteen contracts have been 1 year deals) but it secures some depth for a few more years. Hopefully this also means they are confident that any injury concerns are behind him.

Hackett could use some more AHL time. No need to rush him to the big show next year.
Bring in a vet for backup, whave Kuemper and Hackett duke it out Houston..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Hahaha, maybe it's because he's still a Wild player until July 1st?
Don't make me go take a dump in your Min/Tor proposal thread.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

it's pretty cheap so we can always scramble and overpay a loose vet if he goes down or just plain sucks. that's about all the positive i got. Don't like the three year deal, myself, but it isn't crazy money. Backs is gone though. God i hope we upgrade our D.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:52 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
it's pretty cheap so we can always scramble and overpay a loose vet if he goes down or just plain sucks. that's about all the positive i got. Don't like the three year deal, myself, but it isn't crazy money. Backs is gone though. God i hope we upgrade our D.
I'm with you there, probably one of our biggest weaknesses. That and goal scoring

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd have to think Minnesota has to add a good bit to get Schenn for Backstrom.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd have to think Minnesota has to add a good bit to get Schenn for Backstrom.
Schenn is coming off a rough year, so his value is slightly less than usual.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He's still a young defenseman with a lot of upside, whereas Backs is an older goalie with a terrible cap hit and injury problems.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:14 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
He's still a young defenseman with a lot of upside, whereas Backs is an older goalie with a terrible cap hit and injury problems.
You can swing it whatever way you want. Scheen has to prove himself in this league. Backstrom has been a top 10 goalie in x or the last y years. All just relates to your opinions of both.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:16 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It means he has the 25th-highest paid cap hit.
25th highest cap hit but let's look at some people below him and why:

Jonathan Quick - Last year of 3-year deal signed as 24 year old, will likely see a raise into the $6MM+ per year range.
Anders Nilsson - Last year of an ELC, should see a raise up over the $2MM mark next season.
Jose Theodore - Twilight of his career, took less money to be given the starting reins.
Jonathan Bernier - Same situation as Quick (but without the impending huge raise).
Jacob Markstrom - Last year of an ELC, will see a raise likely over $3MM next year.
Michael Neuvirth - Last year of 2-year deal signed as 22 year old, will likely see a raise into the $3MM range at least.
Braden Holtby - Last year of an ELC.

When you factor out edge cases like that, and factor in the contracts that will be signed in the next 3 weeks, Harding's deal drops solidly into the late 30s, early 40s. For a backup as solid as he is, that's right where he should be. Furthermore, judging from the salary schedule, he's expected to not just be a backup next year and the season after.

Ultimately, the absolute worst you could argue he's overpaid by is $400k. That happens to be the difference between his actual salary and AAV besides. Even if he is overpaid by $400k, so what? That's 0.57% of the salary cap. For a team who is highly unlikely to touch that cap ceiling, who can honestly care about $400k?

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:20 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
You can swing it whatever way you want. Scheen has to prove himself in this league. Backstrom has been a top 10 goalie in x or the last y years. All just relates to your opinions of both.
More important is Brian Burke's opinion of both, and he's well known to be a huge Schenn fan. Backstrom's cap hit reduces his value dramatically.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote