HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Erik Gudbranson to Pittsburgh

Old
06-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
You and others suggested that Staal+ would be needed to acquire him.

I am saying Staal is much, much more valuable, and that those who think not are carrying the "Prospect... Young... Value Through The Roof, OMG!!! " plague that is so common here.
And I'm telling you it would. You call it a plague, I call it reality, how often do you see a kid so valued by an organization for a player like Staal? Very solid player, but no world beater. I think you're overvaluing Staal, what do you seriously think you'll get for him?

06-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
And I'm telling you it would. You call it a plague, I call it reality, how often do you see a kid so valued by an organization for a player like Staal? Very solid player, but no world beater. I think you're overvaluing Staal, what do you seriously think you'll get for him?
It doesn't matter what I think the Pens can get for Staal, but relating to your question; Staal made a bigger impact in the NHL at an even younger age, while being drafted even higher and has gone on to cement himself as a consistent impact player in the league.

You have no idea how high Florida really are on Gudbranson, because him being traded hasn't been in question. If we just go by how team execs and PR people describe every new high pick, it'll seem like they have the keys to their teams respective futures, all of them.

I just read the same in what you say as I saw from Leafs fans after Schenn's rookie season (which - being one of few comparable draft picks though lower - was demonstrably better than Gudbranson's), and now Schenn's hype is entirely different as he hasn't had linear progression upwards. With primarily defensive D-men, that isn't atypical at all, as they aren't going to wow anyone with offensive production. Trade value wise, you just don't get as much for these guys and they're rarely good value picks high in the draft. See if you can find a precedent for a defensive D-man being picked in the top10 and proving a value pick? You can start out with Erik Johnson and Luke Schenn - or McIlrath from Gudbranson's draft year - and find yourself at Mike Komisarek back in 2001. There are precious few altogether, and I swear that not a single defensive D-man has been value for money as a top10 pick during this period. Well.... there is Ryan Suter in 2003.... but here we are talking about a two-way D-man who can play the point and QB a first unit power play. Not one where the draw is HITS! SIZE!

Sure - you can draft one anyway based on organizational need. That's like when Pittsburgh traded up to get Fleury, but then such a player has to pan out, and it is completely up in the air whether that is going to happen with Gudbranson.

From any rational point of view, his rookie season was very unspectacular. The only thing he proved is that he can hit. Which everyone knew already. He didn't show any offense, which was expected. And defensively Florida did worse with him on the ice than with any other regular Florida D-man, despite him playing some of the weakest opposition. In the playoffs opponents tried to match up against him - hence his higher QOC, and team worst CORSI.

Either way, forget about what Staal should bring. The point is that it would be idiotic for any GM to trade a young, current difference maker for as unproven and traditionally risky an asset as Gudbranson.
At least have him have a break out season that justifies your faith in him, before ascribing such value to him.

Last edited by Tender Rip: 06-19-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Ahh haha.

So because of those 3 "flawless" playoff games (where he averaged around 9 mins. of ice-time on those games), that erases the fact that:

A. Gudbranson played a full NHL season at the age of 19/20
B. Was just the 3rd overall pick 2 years ago

Gudbranson is a better player, who is younger and had more impact on his team this past season/playoffs.

Despres, as a Flyers fan, doesn't do anything for me. He has some offensive upside, but meh.

Gudbranson, on the other hand, is one player I hope the Pens do NOT acquire.
So basically because Gudbranson was a top 3 pick instead of a late 1st, and played a full season this year instead of 1/4, he's miles ahead of Despres. Right.

I'm not sure why you failed to see the situations. Despres was not to be rushed because of the defense Pittsburgh already has. Gudbranson, on the other hand, was in a complete different scenario. Despres was brought up due to the absolute need for him (wasn't expected) and he far and away exceeded his expectations. He's not meant to be an offensive juggernaut. He's a good puck mover and good puck handling defensemen with the potential to be an elite defender. Despres showed exactly that this year, and did it with excellent poise, at age 20.

I'm not sure why that wasn't at all considered by you. I'm not by any means saying Gudbranson isn't a quality "prospect". He's fantastic. However, you seem to think he's miles ahead of Despres and that's simply not true. Despres was actually seen by many scouts early in that draft year as a top 10 pick, but seemed to fall since he didnt have the offensive skills to make him an elite two-way defender. Gudbranson may likely be picked in a "which would you choose" question, but it's not like Despres can't come near his level, like you have made him out to be.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't agree with the Pens fans saying the Pens don't need a player like Gudbranson. I think we certainly do. Apart from Orpik, we don't really have any punishers in our top 4. Even if Morrow and Despres reach their ceilings as top 4 defensemen, they're not exactly physical beasts. Gudbranson is *exactly* the kind of defenseman the Pens need.

The price to acquire him, however, is a different story. Florida's got high hopes for him, so whatever that cost is (if Talon would even listen to offers) is probably more than Shero would be willing to pay. But strictly in terms of the Pens needing a player like Gudbranson, I don't understand how anyone can say we don't.
I know. I don't get it either. Pens have no one like him in the system, or on the roster. Harrington (the closest thing to a shutdown type) is at least 2-3 years away from even making the roster, let alone playing a shutdown role. Strait could become something... or just be a 3rd pairing decent D (if he can ever get icetime needed to develop). Orpik/Engelland would be the closest who are on the roster, and while Orpik is a top 4D, he's not a top pairing shutdown guy. Engelland is a solid 3rd pairing guy... but I don't think he could handle a shutdown role, and at 30 I don't see that changing...

I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as Staal + 1st, but I'd definitely move Staal for him straight up, or even include any of our NHL D other than Letang (FLA would likely have to add something depending on who). Yes it's steep however there's not many young potentially top pairing D available. Despres might turn into a top pairing guy (without the nasty streak), and Morrow is a PPQB, not a big top pairing shutdown guy. Which is what Gudbranson has the potential to be.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
It doesn't matter what I think the Pens can get for Staal, but relating to your question; Staal made a bigger impact in the NHL at an even younger age, while being drafted even higher and has gone on to cement himself as a consistent impact player in the league.

You have no idea how high Florida really are on Gudbranson, because him being traded hasn't been in question. If we just go by how team execs and PR people describe every new high pick, it'll seem like they have the keys to their teams respective futures, all of them.

I just read the same in what you say as I saw from Leafs fans after Schenn's rookie season (which - being one of few comparable draft picks though lower - was demonstrably better than Gudbranson's), and now Schenn's hype is entirely different as he hasn't had linear progression upwards. With primarily defensive D-men, that isn't atypical at all, as they aren't going to wow anyone with offensive production. Trade value wise, you just don't get as much for these guys and they're rarely good value picks high in the draft. See if you can find a precedent for a defensive D-man being picked in the top10 and proving a value pick? You can start out with Erik Johnson and Luke Schenn - or McIlrath from Gudbranson's draft year - and find yourself at Mike Komisarek back in 2001. There are precious few altogether, and I swear that not a single defensive D-man has been value for money as a top10 pick during this period. Well.... there is Ryan Suter in 2003.... but here we are talking about a two-way D-man who can play the point and QB a first unit power play. Not one where the draw is HITS! SIZE!

Sure - you can draft one anyway based on organizational need. That's like when Pittsburgh traded up to get Fleury, but then such a player has to pan out, and it is completely up in the air whether that is going to happen with Gudbranson.

From any rational point of view, his rookie season was very unspectacular. The only thing he proved is that he can hit. Which everyone knew already. He didn't show any offense, which was expected. And defensively Florida did worse with him on the ice than with any other regular Florida D-man, despite him playing some of the weakest opposition. In the playoffs opponents tried to match up against him - hence his higher QOC, and team worst CORSI.

Either way, forget about what Staal should bring. The point is that it would be idiotic for any GM to trade a young, current difference maker for as unproven and traditionally risky an asset as Gudbranson.
At least have him have a break out season that justifies your faith in him, before ascribing such value to him.
Your assessment of his season is wrong. You am carry on about what Staal has done, we can do these circles, but that trade simply won't happen. Again, give me an example of a player with Staal's value for a player like Gudbranson...after his rookie season.

Did you watch any of his games? Or just going by the stat sheet?

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:01 AM
wej20

Quote:

really well thought out argument TR.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:14 AM
SufferingCatFan

A couple of points.

First, Staal is in the final year of his contract and is essentially a one-year rental from Florida's perspective, since the odds are that he will become a UFA at the end of 2012-13. Much as I love him as a player, the Panthers need to continue to rebuild for the long term.

Second, Guds is still very young, has yet to mature etc. That said, his progress over the course of the season was very encouraging. The compliments paid to him by the devils forwards were well deserved. I would not trade him for this year's Number 1 straight up.

Third, the Pens have great depth in NHL ready prospects. But, the Panthers also already have a problem trying to figure out what to do with Ellerby so lack an appetite for 4-5 type D prospects.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:20 AM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
really well thought out argument TR.
Except it fails to take into account Guds offensive upside, including his wicked, heavy shot. Guds is a much better skater than most realize, but admittedly remains a work in progress in terms of joining the rush etc. But, then he is 19 after all.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:33 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

1. Laughing at the Pens fans think Morrow or Depres is even close to Guds now, and think they have the same kind of upside. Cause they aren't at this point. The only way they become better is if Guds busts.

2. Can some Panthers fans stop trying to deal away Kulikov. Because he wasnt that great in the playoffs some fans wanna trade him. It's so idiotic. He is not going anywhere, at least not for Staal. Kulikov is extremely underrated around here.

3. Bashing Gudbransson for a not so great season just shows the ignorance among some posters here. Seriously, he was 19/20 years old, most defensemen aren't even close to NHL at that point. And he played better at the end of the season and in the playoffs. His value is extremely high at this point, and I highly doubt Tallon would deal the first selection he did as a Panthers GM.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Your assessment of his season is wrong. You am carry on about what Staal has done, we can do these circles, but that trade simply won't happen.
I haven't even stated Staal's accomplishments. But he is a known quantity so everyone knows his pedigree. And no it won't happen. Shero should be shot if it did.

Quote:
Again, give me an example of a player with Staal's value for a player like Gudbranson...after his rookie season.
A higher rated prospect than Gudbranson - Brayden Schenn - plus a young, physical RFA 20 goal scorer - Simmonds - for Mike Richards.
You can argue that Richards has more value than Staal, OK, and the package Philly got most definitely also had more value, only much more so. This was a year ago, I am sure you remember.

Quote:
Did you watch any of his games? Or just going by the stat sheet?
Well, two playoff games against the Devils, one 4-0 blowout and the game 7 double OT, and three games against Pittsburgh. Florida lost all 5 games that I saw your team (two in OT), so that's not a nice sample, I suppose.
You can say the stats don't do him justice, and I'll readily conceede that, but most of the stats I cited are simply fact. Production, ice-time (and thus role- he was a third pairing D-man who wasn't being relied on for heavy duty and has inflated minutes per game as do the rest of the Florida group, because no one went to OT/SO as much), QOC/advanced QOC are usually considered reasonable metrics, and goals against ES per/60 is not something you can dispute either. It simply adds up to non-descript season, where the special thing is that he was even there to begin with, at his tender age.

Either way, he is a young shut down D-man. They take time to develop. He is not supposed to be great yet. He was drafted because Florida believes he can become great. I can certainly not say that he isn't going to be, I believe he will be a very good D-man.

I am just saying that I cannot comprehend how one is more valuable being an unproven top pick after a non-spectacular rookie season than being a proven top pick; a Calder finalist after his rookie season, one who has been a Selke nominee and is consistently among the leagues second tier scorers ES while playing on a shut down line behind the best two C's in the world - oh, and with lots of strong performances in the playoffs, and a Cup, at 24.
In Staal's draft class I'd say that only Backström, Toews and Giroux have shown to be better players than Staal. Some would argue Kessel, but whereas he is obviously a better pure offensive player, I think Staal is the better player overall. So anyway, top5 in 2006. Fair?

Whether we will be saying the same about Gudbranson in four years, or consider it even arguable, no one can tell. But with guys like Seguin, Hall, Skinner, Fowler, Faulk, Tarasenko, Johansen, Granlund, Burmistrov, Kuznetsov, Gormley etc..... Gudbranson definitely has his work cut out for him to shine among his peers.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Stopped at you trying to compare Staal to Mike Richards. Lol, wow. You're a homer, which is fine, but be ready or a disappointment should Staal be traded.

Also, writing a book doesn't deem your argument more worthy, especially since the rest doesn't matter after that whopper. (and don't bore me with stats, please. They don't compare.)

Edit: read your underlined sentence...IT'S ABOUT VALUE TO SAID TEAM. It's like if I bring something into a pawn shop worth $2500, an offer of $2000 is a very good offer. But if I went in there thinking I could get $5000 for it, it's actual value may be well below how much I value the item. Same with Erik, and saying Shero should be shot is ridiculously overboard.

We'll stay with Erik, you stay with Staal.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Except it fails to take into account Guds offensive upside, including his wicked, heavy shot. Guds is a much better skater than most realize, but admittedly remains a work in progress in terms of joining the rush etc. But, then he is 19 after all.
Its because he has rarely ever shown any such upside. In his final season at Kingston, which is the only season he had offensive production to speak of, he was 9th on a poor (but old - hence competive in points) team, second among D-men, the one ahead of him being that other piece of giant humanity Taylor Doherty!

If Jason Garrison can explode offensively in the NHL at 27-28.... many players can have hopes. But it is quite rare that you suddenly get it after seldom showing it before.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Stopped at you trying to compare Staal to Mike Richards. Lol, wow. You're a homer, which is fine, but be ready or a disappointment should Staal be traded.
Lots of people do that. Mike Richards is a better PP player and has had a role on a very good PP at Philly. This is everything when it comes to comparing points between Staal and him. Staal usually scores more ES goals and has as many ES points.
But of course this is likely one of those situations where naked stats don't bore you.
Moreover, I didn't even say that the two were on the same level. Richards offense and PROVEN all-situation ability matters (see: proven is a term that matters). Moreover he was traded when he was older than Staal is now, and thus had more time to show his value. But the value of Richards vs. Staal is certainly a lot closer than B.Scheen + Simmonds vs. Gudbranson.

Quote:
Also, writing a book doesn't deem your argument more worthy, especially since the rest doesn't matter after that whopper. (and don't bore me with stats, please. They don't compare.)
Well, at least I offered you the courtecy of answering your question. You are still short a response to when we last saw any one dimensional D-man be worth a top pick, or had major trade value.

Quote:
We'll stay with Erik, you stay with Staal.
By all means.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:44 AM
wej20

Quote:
he has better tools than Schenn no doubt but he's still very much a work in progress and a big risk if Pens dealt Staal for him.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:11 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

I love threads where neither fans want to touch the trade with a 10 foot pole, but they keep arguing why the other team should really be all over it. Exercises in pointlessness.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
I love threads where neither fans want to touch the trade with a 10 foot pole, but they keep arguing why the other team should really be all over it. Exercises in pointlessness.
That's not what I am doing. I am questioning why unproven high picks are constantly seen to be valued at what their potential ceilings could be, whereas much more proven equally high picks with lots of potential unrealized upside is seen for what they have done in the NHL so far.

...and I am saying, as a Managing Director of a Consultancy company, that this is not how risk/reward equations are typically done in business.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:06 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
That's not what I am doing. I am questioning why unproven high picks are constantly seen to be valued at what their potential ceilings could be, whereas much more proven equally high picks with lots of potential unrealized upside is seen for what they have done in the NHL so far.

...and I am saying, as a Managing Director of a Consultancy company, that this is not how risk/reward equations are typically done in business.
I am certainly with you on the issue, no one is paying out the best possible outcome of your pick/prospect to you now and eat all the risk.

It's the same with the other Edm-Car-Pit proposal, where PIT gives up the best player for a couple picks and everyone is whining about how Yakupov is maybe going to be a 50+ goal scorer and the next coming of the almighty. Just thought the effort was kinda futile on both sides and did not want to just be a homer piling on the Gudbranson fans.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Malkamania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Ahh haha.

So because of those 3 "flawless" playoff games (where he averaged around 9 mins. of ice-time on those games), that erases the fact that:

A. Gudbranson played a full NHL season at the age of 19/20
B. Was just the 3rd overall pick 2 years ago

Gudbranson is a better player, who is younger and had more impact on his team this past season/playoffs.

Despres, as a Flyers fan, doesn't do anything for me. He has some offensive upside, but meh.
Gudbranson, on the other hand, is one player I hope the Pens do NOT acquire.
then you havent seen enough of Despres. I won't comment about the trade proposed because i have not seen enough of and do not know enough about Gudbranson to comment but Despres has never looked out of place in any chance he's had to prove otherwise....he will be a very solid NHLer.

Malkamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:00 PM
goosecrosby

Pens fan living in South Florida

I went to about 20 Panthers games this year. When I saw Gudbranson, for the most part he looked very lost, BUUUUUUUUUT he also had some brilliant moments for being a 19/20 year old. Hes going to be a monster in a couple years.

How does this compare to Despres/Morrow? It doesn't. They are 2...3 different types of players. Gubranson - shutdown D, Despres - 2-way D, Morrow - offensive D. They are all really good at what they do.

Right now the Pens biggest need is a shutdown Dman with size which Gudbranson fits perfectly. However we have no room for him so its pointless to try and make a move. IF we did make a move it would probably have to bring back another potential top 6 guy like Bjugstad, Grimaldi, or Howden.

goosecrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecrosby View Post

I went to about 20 Panthers games this year. When I saw Gudbranson, for the most part he looked very lost, BUUUUUUUUUT he also had some brilliant moments for being a 19/20 year old. Hes going to be a monster in a couple years.

How does this compare to Despres/Morrow? It doesn't. They are 2...3 different types of players. Gubranson - shutdown D, Despres - 2-way D, Morrow - offensive D. They are all really good at what they do.

Right now the Pens biggest need is a shutdown Dman with size which Gudbranson fits perfectly. However we have no room for him so its pointless to try and make a move. IF we did make a move it would probably have to bring back another potential top 6 guy like Bjugstad, Grimaldi, or Howden.
That was the Panthers biggest need to which is why they drafted him in the first place. If you've been living down here, you know Tallon loves the kid and the Panthers consider him a building block to an eventual SC-caliber squad. They have no reason to move him (no matter what is realistically offered) and so there's no point to even keep discussing the value to the Pens.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:59 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecrosby View Post

Season ticket holder, who has watched Guds throughout the season including playoffs. Never really "looked very lost."

During the early part of the season, he had trouble adjusting to the speed of the game, was hesitant at times passing and made any number of rookie mistakes, includingpositional errors. Over the course of the season, he showed improvement as he gained confidence, including flashing an ability to join the rush. He stepped up into "beast"mode during the playoffs.

Since the Panthers are trying to build for the future, trading Guds with his high potential makes no sense absent a major over payment that promises to provide a greater future building block.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Every team would like to have a Gudbranson in the system. But if we need that sort of qualities, we can go and sign Bryan Allen in free agency for little more without giving up any assets.

That'd give us a MUCH, MUCH more effective NHL'er in the short term - which, being win-now, is kinda important.

But with Orpik and Engelland, we don't need physicality THAT much, we just need to replace Martin with someone who is not soff. That in itself makes it a reasonably physical and balanced D.
Bryan Allen

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Broad Street Elite

He's no Ben Lovejoy, but I'd still take Eric Gudbranson on the Flyers!

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:54 PM
goosecrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
That was the Panthers biggest need to which is why they drafted him in the first place. If you've been living down here, you know Tallon loves the kid and the Panthers consider him a building block to an eventual SC-caliber squad. They have no reason to move him (no matter what is realistically offered) and so there's no point to even keep discussing the value to the Pens.
I 100% agree that hes one of the biggest pieces of the rebuild. Starts with the goalie (Markstrom), build a good D in front of him (Gudbranson, Kulikov, Ellerby), then add the forwards around them (too many to list). Thats why I said that its pointless to talk about it because 1) the Pens are logjammed at D and 2) the Panthers need Gudbranson too much

Quote:
Season ticket holder, who has watched Guds throughout the season including playoffs. Never really "looked very lost."

During the early part of the season, he had trouble adjusting to the speed of the game, was hesitant at times passing and made any number of rookie mistakes, includingpositional errors. Over the course of the season, he showed improvement as he gained confidence, including flashing an ability to join the rush. He stepped up into "beast"mode during the playoffs.

Since the Panthers are trying to build for the future, trading Guds with his high potential makes no sense absent a major over payment that promises to provide a greater future building block.
Like you mentioned, he took a while to adjust to the NHL pace. He also had some mental errors that should have easily been avoided. He did get better as the season progressed but they still popped up from time to time. There was a game towards the end of the season that he completely turned the wrong way and the other team had a breakaway and scored.

The physicality that Gudbranson brings is by far the best on the team. If he keeps maturing he will be one of the toughest dmen to play against in the entire league. He reminds me of a Phaneuf type player but actually likes dropping the gloves against people (and is good at it too). The Panthers have very few physical players and Gudbranson's value is beyond what most teams would pay

goosecrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:56 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

So with 9 non waiver eligible D-men on the roster & Despres probably ready we are going to take another D-man? Makes sense.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote