HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 01:53 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I would love to get Seto for Hickey. Seto would be a great third line guy....

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
????-Richie-Carts
King-????-Seto
Nolan-Fraser-Lewie

Stoll and Penner may or may not come back, some moron GM (there's plenty in the NHL) may offer them an insane contract.
I should also note that I don't know if Simon Gagne will retire or not since he already won a cup.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I should also note that I don't know if Simon Gagne will retire or not since he already won a cup.
He mentioned that he isn't retiring. I forgot where I read it though.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

vCash: 498
Wow, I thought he would. The way he worded his answers, I thought he would retire.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:49 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Wow, I thought he would. The way he worded his answers, I thought he would retire.
That was my thought too, plus Hammond just reported that Gagne underwent a neck surgery procedure that allows him to have more neck mobility.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

He said something along the lines of, "My goal was to win a Stanley Cup and I have fulfilled my wish." I don't remember the exact wording but I thought for sure he was done. I'd love to see him back. How about a third-line of Gagne-Stoll-Lewis. Sounds pretty good to me. Hope he recovers and gets healthy. However, I do believe he is done after next season.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Crown Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
If we do get Parise(Which I highly doubt we do) Kings will have in the 2003 draft,

11. Carter
13. Brown
17. Parise
24. Richards

Yikes! That is a sick group to have! Oh yeah Suter was selected at #7! You wanna win the cup have three or more players of the '03 draft!
As long as they're not Brown, Boyle and Tamballini

Old
06-19-2012, 03:22 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
A trade for Kane would have to start with a top 6 forward: Williams, Brown, Kopitar, Carter or Richards. You aren't getting Kane from a conference rival for non-roster prospects.

If Kane is moved, he will be going East.
Richards cost Simmons and Schenn and a pick. Bernier forbert Stoll signed + could be tempting

Old
06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Johnny Utah

I would think really the 3rd and 4th lines are the lines in question.

RW-C-LW
Williams-Kopitar-Brown
Carter-Richards-Gagne (if Penner leaves)
Lewis-Stoll/Loktionov/UFA-King
Westgarth/Richardson/Nolan-Fraser/Richardson/Cliche-Nolan/Clifford

I can't see Clifford sitting any longer so I would imagine they shift Nolan to the right wing and either Richardson centers that line, the Kings re-sign Fraser, or they add a UFA or let Cliche take the spot.

With the 3rd line....I think King proved he is a solid LW option. The position in question is the center spot. Whether Stoll stays or goes and whether Loktionov takes that spot.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

I believe King is a younger, cheaper and more motivated Penner. Anyone agree? If our pursuit of Parise doesn't work we should sign Ray Whitney to a 2 year deal.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Crown Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
As I said earlier if we can get "playoff Penner" for 60 of the 82 regular season games, then I am all for having him back on something like a 2 year deal that has a cap hit of around $3M.

The guy would score 20 goals quite easily playing with Richards and Carter if he is well motivated.
Penner was 3G/8A in 20 playoff games while playing motivated hockey with Richards and Carter. That translates into 12G/32A. I like Penner and what he brings but I think something along the lines of a 1yr/2.5M deal is more prudent. If he has a good year and there's money left over after signing Quick then you can extend him.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Rusty Batch

Quote:
I believe King is a younger, cheaper and more motivated Penner. Anyone agree? If our pursuit of Parise doesn't work we should sign Ray Whitney to a 2 year deal.
I certainly think Penner has more talent then King. But the comparison is reasonable.

Whitney is someone I would like as well. I think he would slot in perfect if we decide to pove Carter back to center. A pass first wing would go great with a shooter like Carter. If we sign Whitney I would definateley still keep Penner though

Penner-Kopi-Williams
King-Carter-Whitney
Brown-Richards-Gagne
Clifford-Lewis-Nolan

Thats how I would do it, I really want to see our three great centers playing their natural positions. And I would also love to see Brown and Richards play together, I think it would be awesome.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:52 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

What about E. Kane how would he fit

Old
06-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

Ray Whitney and Dustin Penner would essentially be a cheaper Parise. I would definitely go for that

Old
06-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Crown Royal

Quote:
I was making that same statement about King earlier. Their point totals were similar although King played in fewer games plus King's +/- was 7 vs Penner's -3. Factor in King's salary at $591K compared to Penner's $4.25M and you can see why I wouldn't offer Penner anything more than a 1yr/2.5M deal and even then I'm sceptical.

BTW, I am a fan of pancakes, I just can't justify his paychecks.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

King will probably get a 1 or 2 year deal at $850,000. I just don't see how we would use Carter as our #1C center. It would go Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Stoll, Fraser and Nolan on the depth chart. I do believe Stoll and Fraser stay.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:25 PM
SuperAlmeida

LeBrun's blog:

Quote:
Kings talks with Stoll
As I mentioned last week, the Stanley Cup champion Kings wanted to quickly jump on the Jarret Stoll contract talks and they have. The versatile No. 3 center, who was terrific in the playoffs, turns UFA July 1. But contract talks have progressed over the past week and there could be an agreement within a week’s time.

The Kings are also talking to fourth-line center Colin Fraser. Still to be determined is the fate of winger Dustin Penner, also UFA July 1.

Goalie talk
With Tomas Vokoun landing in Pittsburgh, Tampa gambling on Anders Lindback (very much a worthy gamble in my opinion), and Josh Harding re-signing in Minnesota on Tuesday, the goalie options continue to shrink for teams looking for an upgrade there.

This should only help the Vancouver Canucks in trying to create a better market place for
Roberto Luongo and his massive contract.

I believe the Florida Panthers are among a short list of teams that have talked to the Canucks about Luongo, but there won’t be a deal there unless Vancouver is willing to take on a contract in return that helps Florida out payroll-wise.

Another goalie potentially out there is Jonathan Bernier of the Kings. Tampa had shown some interest earlier this season before instead opting to go with Lindback in last Friday’s trade.
The Kings aren’t in a hurry to move Bernier. If nobody steps up with a tangible offer this summer, they’re more than happy to keep him as a backup to Jonathan Quick for another year.

Some teams I’ve spoken with have a mixed opinion on the former first-round pick. Some believe he’s the real deal, others are concerned they haven’t seen enough yet to roll the dice on him being a No. 1 netminder. I believe Bernier has the goods to be a franchise goalie and, if I’m the Columbus Blue Jackets right now, I’m all over the Kings to get a hold of him.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:26 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

^Beat me to it.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Cruel11
Classless Kings

Yes please

Quote:
@ThomasDrance I like the idea of Bobby Ryan to Columbus. Then he gets unhappy and Columbus trades him to the Kings.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:35 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Yes please
Do want

Old
06-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Ship Bernier, Loktionov and Hickey to Columbus for R.J. Umberger and a pick/prospect (if Penner walks away). Umberger would be a nice 2nd line LW to play with Richards and Carter. He's signed for the next five seasons at a reasonable cap hit and has a history of big performances in the playoffs.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:42 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Penner was 3G/8A in 20 playoff games while playing motivated hockey with Richards and Carter. That translates into 12G/32A.
Two different things there. Regular season, playoffs, vastly different. The Kings aren't playing the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seeds for 6 weeks every night. They're not playing against an all-time goalie for 6 straight games.

Penner should get 20 goals in a normal regular season. His career average is 22, and that's including his incredibly poor 11-12 season.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Reclamation Project
Zero Class User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Ship Bernier, Loktionov and Hickey to Columbus for R.J. Umberger and a pick/prospect (if Penner walks away). Umberger would be a nice 2nd line LW to play with Richards and Carter. He's signed for the next five seasons at a reasonable cap hit and has a history of big performances in the playoffs.
This sounds fantastic actually.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:04 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I think its been talked about a little, but if Penner can't be brought back at the right price, Ray Whitney is somebody I think Dean could be interested in.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:09 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
What about E. Kane how would he fit
You'd have to include important core pieces. Not worth it.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:14 PM
rajuabju

Ray Whitney? WHATTTT

3-4 years ago, sure... now? Absolutely not. Unless its a 1 year deal for the minimum amount, no way.

Umberger on the other hand, I'm not so opposed to.

Closed Thread