HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Even Jagr thinks Esche should be starter...

Old
04-05-2006, 06:20 PM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Even Jagr thinks Esche should be starter...

Well kind of, he had some nice things to say...well kind of

"You know what I think?" said Jagr, who has scored nine goals against Esche this season. "I think somebody other than Esche was in the net.

"They just put Esche's jersey on him," he said with a laugh.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...y/14264473.htm

Esche's dominant play against Jagr did not go unoticed. Thought the comment was pretty cool.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Lupul*

Esche owned Jagr in that game.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Finnish Gordon

Hmm, doesn't that comment say "usually he sucks but tonight he didn't"?

Go Frank!

Finnish Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 06:43 PM
NYR1724

Ussualy when you play a guy 7 times.. as a goalie you should get the best of him atleast once.

But honestly, Esche played very well last night. I also saw your game Sunday against the Islanders and he looked good there too.

He looked like he did during the World Cup in 2004 and during the Flyers run to the Eastern Confrence finals the same year.

Just my thoughts.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 06:53 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1
during the Flyers run to the Eastern Confrence finals the same year.
Lots of people forget Esche's run the last time the Flyers were in a playoffs.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 07:16 PM
sansan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC
Lots of people forget Esche's run the last time the Flyers were in a playoffs.
Yea, people jump off the bandwagon here pretty quickly it seems, on both sides of the coin. Niitty is God one day, has a bad game and is thrown to the wolves and vice versa. Lather, rinse, repeat. Honestly, if Esche can continue to play like he did yesterday, the Flyers are in great shape going into the playoffs. If he doesn't, it's no loss, we have Niitty. This is the best I've felt about the Flyer's goaltending going into the playoffs in years. The rest of the team needs to step it up though.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Is it just me, or is that comment by Jagr kind of insulting? Not to start anything with Ranger fans who might come through here, but I know that Esche is capable of playing that well, I'm sure a lot of people do if they took off their Nitty blinders. It wasn't "someone else", it was Esche at his near best. It seemed to me like Jagr was bitter because I'm sure he saw Esche in net and figured he'd be good for at least a goal to get that Ranger record.

Am I the only one?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 09:34 PM
sansan

It's like something I would say to my little brother if he ever beat me in tennis. Jagr has had Esche's number this year, I don't think anyone is going to deny that. Playful jabbing IMO. Nothing to get worked up over.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Sum1winachampionship

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Is it just me, or is that comment by Jagr kind of insulting? Not to start anything with Ranger fans who might come through here, but I know that Esche is capable of playing that well, I'm sure a lot of people do if they took off their Nitty blinders. It wasn't "someone else", it was Esche at his near best. It seemed to me like Jagr was bitter because I'm sure he saw Esche in net and figured he'd be good for at least a goal to get that Ranger record.

Am I the only one?
Very insulting if you ask me. He's just said, 'that couldn't have been Esche, he was too good'

Esche was fantastic against the Rangers but I personally don't think he was that great against the Islanders. Although I am apparently in the minority on that one

Sum1winachampionship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 10:29 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Is it just me, or is that comment by Jagr kind of insulting?
I'd say it was all in the laugh that came with it. If it was a friendly chuckle, the comment should probably be taken in the spirit of a joke and a compliment.

But hey, if it makes future games even more competitive and entertaining than last night's, I say Esche should take it as Jagr sneering at him and calling him worthless.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 11:31 PM
clay

Haha, that's pretty cocky.

clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2006, 12:12 AM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:

Am I the only one?
no, when i first read the quote the first thing that came to mind was "what a frickin ***hole" it's like saying that esche really sucks but he got lucky and played like someone else that night, only reaffirms my hatred for jagr (mostly because of his attitude)

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2006, 06:53 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Why wouldn't he want him to start. He knows Esche is worse than Niittymaki which is probably why he would want Esche to start. The is the most logical explanation that i could come up with

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2006, 08:11 AM
ArchieIsGod

Quote:

Am I the only one?

why would he think it was esche in net he has 9 goals against him this year...i think its more him complimenting esche for turning it up...we know esche can play great and jagr just saw that for the first time this year, i dont see it as an insult

but hey if it helps to motivate him to keep it up then great

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Limey FK

Send a message via AIM to Limey FK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod
why would he think it was esche in net he has 9 goals against him this year...i think its more him complimenting esche for turning it up...we know esche can play great and jagr just saw that for the first time this year, i dont see it as an insult

but hey if it helps to motivate him to keep it up then great
Jagr is all jokes and smiles in the locker room these days and with English as his second language, sometimes his comments come accross as slightly crass when taken out of context.

I'm sure he was just trying to be funny and smiling when he said that. He's always pretty sarcastic.

Limey FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I don't have a problem with what Jagr said, because it was basically true. Since Jagr has destroyed Esche this year, he was obviously surprised that he actually played well. I was too.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote