HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL.com re-does the 2007 first round (Subban 4th, Patches 8th, Eller 20th)

Old
06-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
NHL.com re-does the 2007 first round (Subban 4th, Patches 8th, Eller 20th)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634928

Subban 1 spot ahead of McDonagh.

Pacioretty sits at 8. I don't agree with it personally though. I'd definitely take him over Perron and Alzner.

And yes this may be the Habs fan in me, but when it's all said and done, I think Patches may end up having a better career than Couture. That's just me though.

06-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't this the draft where it was said the Habs got multiple players that were ranked in their top 10 or something?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:47 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Perron before Pacioretty? Nah, I love me some Patches.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

That was a reasonable stab at it. You can always quibble over a few guys and a few spots in the order, but the author has done a solid job overall.

I think it also ought to demonstrate the dangers in over-rating the value of draft picks. I mean, 5 years along, there aren't too many stars in that list, fewer who were identified in the draft rankings as such. For all the people who talk about trading Plekanec, say, for a #6 or #9 pick or whatnot, how many of those guys on that list ever end up that good? (And vs. how many don't). I'll take the next 5 years of Plekanec over the ~40% odds I get somebody as good as Alzner, Gagner, Van Riemsdyk or even Couture (at the top end).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Zeroknowledge*

I'd switch Subban and Mcdonaugh and have Pacioretty at 6. All in all, what an incredible draft year that was too bad we've had so horrible pro scouts

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I'd switch Subban and Mcdonaugh and have Pacioretty at 6. All in all, what an incredible draft year that was too bad we've had so horrible pro scouts
More like too bad we've had Pierre Gauthier.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:11 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
More like too bad we've had Pierre Gauthier.
Gauthier wouldn't be the one scouting a young McDonagh.

Trading McDonagh is not on PG. Trading for Gomez might be. But he would have nothing to do with the trading of McDonagh.

I know he's the scapegoat, but this is revisionist history at it's worst.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Et le But

Kind of a backhanded compliment about Eller.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Protest the Hero

Not bad Mr. Timmins, not bad at all.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
That was a reasonable stab at it. You can always quibble over a few guys and a few spots in the order, but the author has done a solid job overall.

I think it also ought to demonstrate the dangers in over-rating the value of draft picks. I mean, 5 years along, there aren't too many stars in that list, fewer who were identified in the draft rankings as such. For all the people who talk about trading Plekanec, say, for a #6 or #9 pick or whatnot, how many of those guys on that list ever end up that good? (And vs. how many don't). I'll take the next 5 years of Plekanec over the ~40% odds I get somebody as good as Alzner, Gagner, Van Riemsdyk or even Couture (at the top end).
The reason I would trade Plecs isn't to grab another draft pick, although I'd make sure one was included in a trade. It would be to make room for Eller and hopefully Galchenyuk. Let's face it, Plec has the most value of all our centers. To us too. But we also need the room if we draft a center. There is a very big market for him and his value is high. Eller will need more ice time, and if we draft Galchenyuk, he will need it also.

Although, this can wait a year as Galchenyuk might need another year in junior. But at some point, we will need to make room, and better to make room at the top, then at the bottom of the lineup. The trade deadline might be the best time to make such a trade if we find ourselves out of contention again.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:42 PM
hey

what a great draft year for the habs. Too bad we did not keep all our picks

hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'd say Weber could have squeaked in as 29, or 30.

All playing for the habs will turn into a bust.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Gauthier wouldn't be the one scouting a young McDonagh.

Trading McDonagh is not on PG. Trading for Gomez might be. But he would have nothing to do with the trading of McDonagh.

I know he's the scapegoat, but this is revisionist history at it's worst.
I read that PG saw McDonagh play a little and really didn't like what he saw.. If I find the link, I will edit my post.

Edit:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...#ixzz1u6ZIQle9

"The trade of McDonagh to the Rangers to get Scott Gomez came on Bob Gainey’s watch when he was the GM. This should tarnish Gainey’s reputation for knowing who can play in the NHL and who can’t, but several sources say Gauthier’s fingerprints were really all over this one.

“Bob’s daughter had died (swept overboard at sea while working on a training ship) before this and he was letting Pierre (his confidant) do a lot of the work. Pierre didn’t like McDonagh, for some reason. Saw him play in the world juniors and didn’t like him. The scouts loved McDonagh, though. When he was traded, they couldn’t believe it,” said a source close to the scene."

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:49 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Interesting change in the order. Amazing how the draft really is a crapshoot for the most part. I can only hope that the three guys on that list that are still habs continue their development and live up to their potential.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:53 PM
ChoseLa

I try to erase the idea that McDo exist from my memory, but the kid is so good that he keeps on coming again and again.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Habs Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I try to erase the idea that McDo exist from my memory, but the kid is so good that he keeps on coming again and again.
I think the worst part of the playoffs this year (other than Montreal not making it) was hearing his name over and over again.

"GREAT PLAY BY MCDO..."

"MCDO Makes another terrific defensive play..."

THe list goes on but you get the idea... Man that hurts...

Habs Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:04 PM
LyricalLyricist

I don't have mcd above subban and glad they don't. That being said, can't go wrong with either. We lost Ryan but never did anything bad to us, hopefully he turns out even better. We can ***** about it all we want but at end of the day just look at Timmins' work. He can do it again

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
The reason I would trade Plecs isn't to grab another draft pick, although I'd make sure one was included in a trade. It would be to make room for Eller and hopefully Galchenyuk.
I'll consider making room once I'm confident either of those guys can actually be a top-2 center. So far, I have zero confidence in that (/ we haven't even drafted Galchenyuk yet, and even if we did he needs another year in junior no matter what). It's premature. Give Eller some consistent wingers and a bit more ice and responsibility this season, and then get back to me. He still needs to make some room for himself on the 3rd line, let alone have 2nd line room bestowed on him from above.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
FlyingRat

Perron ahead of Pacioretty is silly.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Clumsyhab

Benn should be #1

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Habsfan18

Let's take the guys ranked 10th to 19th, out of curiosity, how many of these guys would you personally take before Eller? So basically, if all these players were offered up in a 1 for 1 swap for Eller, how many would you take?

10. JVR
11. Wayne Simmonds
12. Brandon Sutter
13. Sam Gagner
14. Kyle Turris
15. Jakub Voracek
16. Carl Hagelin
17. Carl Gunnarsson
18. Brendan Smith
19. Alec Martinez

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:20 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I read that PG saw McDonagh play a little and really didn't like what he saw.. If I find the link, I will edit my post.

Edit:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...#ixzz1u6ZIQle9

"The trade of McDonagh to the Rangers to get Scott Gomez came on Bob Gainey’s watch when he was the GM. This should tarnish Gainey’s reputation for knowing who can play in the NHL and who can’t, but several sources say Gauthier’s fingerprints were really all over this one.

“Bob’s daughter had died (swept overboard at sea while working on a training ship) before this and he was letting Pierre (his confidant) do a lot of the work. Pierre didn’t like McDonagh, for some reason. Saw him play in the world juniors and didn’t like him. The scouts loved McDonagh, though. When he was traded, they couldn’t believe it,” said a source close to the scene."
Sounds like propaganda to me. Why would PG even have an opinion of McDonagh? In all likelihood he had never even seen him play at the time of the deal...

Old
06-19-2012, 05:20 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Let's take the guys ranked 10th to 19th, out of curiosity, how many of these guys would you personally take before Eller? So basically, if all these players were offered up in a 1 for 1 swap for Eller, how many would you take?

10. JVR
11. Wayne Simmonds
12. Brandon Sutter
13. Sam Gagner
14. Kyle Turris
15. Jakub Voracek
16. Carl Hagelin
17. Carl Gunnarsson
18. Brendan Smith
19. Alec Martinez
Yea Eller is being underrated here. Habs should have 4 of the top 12 guys...

Old
06-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

10. JVR
11. Wayne Simmonds
12. Brandon Sutter
13. Sam Gagner

14. Kyle Turris
15. Jakub Voracek
16. Carl Hagelin
17. Carl Gunnarsson
18. Brendan Smith
19. Alec Martinez
Maybe bump Eller to 17th, but I don't know much about Gunnarsson,Smith or Martinez.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:38 PM
MTL-rules

MaxPac should be ahead of Couture their production is pretty equal but one plays with a loaded PP.

Kane, Benn, MaxPac, Couture, Subban...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote