HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Santos-Markstrom to stay in San Antonio Another Year

Old
06-14-2012, 01:46 PM
panthersfan751

vCash: 500
I find it ironic that for years, people complained that we rushed prospects to the NHL and stunted their development. Now, when we're taking our time, people are saying that our prospects are sitting in the minors for too long. I'd much rather give our prospects time and make sure they're properly developed before stepping into the NHL.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:59 PM
SteveCangialosi123

It would be a crime if this future stud was in the minors next season, especially when Theodore and Clemmer would be there instead. Concerns about durability is not a big enough reason to put him in the minors I don't buy that.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
It would be a crime if this future stud was in the minors next season, especially when Theodore and Clemmer would be there instead. Concerns about durability is not a big enough reason to put him in the minors I don't buy that.
No, it wouldn't be a crime, it's for development reasons, and name a player who didn't benefit by spending further time in the A? I agree with PF751, but I trust Tallon, Santos, and Dineen in their decision making when it comes to him.

06-14-2012, 03:49 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I am a big proponent of making sure a guy is ready and seasoned before bringing him up. I don't like guys to be rushed.

I just think this is the perfect time to bring him up. He's ready.

Not only is he ready, but they have the PERFECT chance to work him in slowly, with Theodore still managing the majority of the workload.

Instead, in 13-14, Theodore likely won't be around and then what will they do? Just thrust him into 55+ starts?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

But anyways, it's not as if Clemmensen being offered a deal means he will choose to go back to the Panthers. If he's smart, he would hit the open market. There are many teams that can use an experience goalie to play 25 games and he can be due for a decent payday if he tests the waters.

I hope he does, because then that likely means Markstrom gets bumped up to the NHL instead of the A.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:21 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
No, it wouldn't be a crime, it's for development reasons, and name a player who didn't benefit by spending further time in the A? I agree with PF751, but I trust Tallon, Santos, and Dineen in their decision making when it comes to him.
I'm a Devils fan, so I know how terrible Clemmer is and I've seen how inconsistent Theodore is. Markstrom is the best goalie on the team far and away, and you guys have a playoff team. I agree that players need to season in the minors, but Marty Brodeur didn't hurt his career by jumping straight into the fire, guy. Markstrom has seasoned enough, and how is playing in the AHL gonna prepare him for the NHL more than PLAYING IN THE NHL? Goalies can learn on the job much easier than skaters.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:41 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
I'm a Devils fan, so I know how terrible Clemmer is and I've seen how inconsistent Theodore is. Markstrom is the best goalie on the team far and away, and you guys have a playoff team. I agree that players need to season in the minors, but Marty Brodeur didn't hurt his career by jumping straight into the fire, guy. Markstrom has seasoned enough, and how is playing in the AHL gonna prepare him for the NHL more than PLAYING IN THE NHL? Goalies can learn on the job much easier than skaters.
Markstrom doesn't have the same defense here that Brodeur did jumping into the league in the 90's my friend. And Theodore and Clemmenson are 80% of the reason we made the playoffs this year. They were beyond consistent.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:28 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

I agree with the position that 12-13 is the BEST time for Markstrom. The injury argument is silly. The overwhelming reason to bring him up is to allow him to work with theo while we have him. It's Theo's last yr. it's either work with theo splitting games or throwing Him in f/t the year after, which to me makes no sense.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:31 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
I agree with your position on Markstrom.

There is no basis for your opinion on clemmer tho, he was nothing less than awesome this year. How quickly you forget how he carried you guys a couple of years ago when uncle daddy got injured.

In fact, don't be surprised if he wears a devil jersey next year.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Haj

vCash: 50
I thought I would agree with Markstrom staying in SA for another year.

Lets look at some other goaltender's career progression:

Pekka Rinne - played 25 games in the FNL / 145 games in the AHL - 165 total

Henrik Lundqvist - played 144 games in the SEL before earning a full time job - 144 total

Jacob Markstrom - has played 108 games in the SEL and 70 games in the AHL - 178 total

At this point what is he going to gain from another year in the AHL ? It might help him if he dominates the AHL for an entire year, while also working on his issues with rebound control. That being said, I haven't seen him play in the AHL so I'm not qualified to say if he has been dominant.

But its also impossible to get used to the speed of the NHL without actually playing in the NHL.

Basically Tallon has to as weigh:

What will Jacob gain by playing another year in the AHL ? vs. What will he lose by not playing in the NHL ?

or if you prefer:

What will Jacob lose by not playing another year in the AHL ? vs. What will he gain by playing the NHL ?

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
In fact, don't be surprised if he wears a devil jersey next year.
I would be surprised just for the fact that he openly made no argument he, and Deboer were not really big on each other. Other than that I wouldn't be surprised though. Lou did already bring him back already though so what's a third time? Just between us I don't care much for the guy, but I wouldn't mind seeing him over the crop of UFA goaltenders out there this Summer. I'd rather keep Hedberg, but if it comes down to him, and other backups not including the young ones like Harding who are in line for starting jobs I would take him over Biron, Johnson, Auld, Gustavsson, etc. He's played with a lot of our team before, and has worked under our coach as well. I don't trust any of our AHL guys to back up 40 year old Marty who has missed time with injuries the last couple years.

Markstrom I think would do fine backing up Jose this year. He has NHL experience, and Theodore is still young enough that he's healthy, and I wouldn't anticipate him breaking down suddenly. I would say the plan is to start Markstrom when Theodore is done? My guess though is that if Markstrom isn't in the NHL full time this year he likely won't jump right into the starting spot. Other than that it will be an interesting July 1st!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:45 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

What do you think would happen if Clemmer test FA waters and signs elsewhere?

Do the Panthers go with Markstrom and Theodore or sign a vet backup for one year?

Old
06-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Jessica
NHL, AHL, & KHL lovr

Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

Do the Panthers go with Markstrom and Theodore or sign a vet backup for one year?
Sign a vet for a year

Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:57 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

We bring in Loungo of coarse

Old
06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
He's not played a full season yet and certainly struggled a few times last season. Started out well, didn't look as sharp in his call up, to call him the team's best goalie is premature. Further, Theo wasn't at all inconsistent last season really until down the stretch, but the team wasn't overly consistent, either. Nor was Clemmer terrible.

Tallon will either sign someone to challenge Markstrom for a spot, or believes he and Theo can split duties.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:51 AM
ShootIt

I think we'll lose Clemmer to free agency, unless we give him a multi-year deal.

This might be his last decent contract and is coming off a respectable season.

I doubt he would sign a 1 year deal, and if he doesn't do too hot, he might not suit up in a NHL jersey again.

So, I think he'll be looking for a 2-3yr contract, maybe around Jose's contract $ wise.
I wouldn't be against that, since, Jose's contract is up after this year and Clemmer is a solid backup-especially when our defensive core is good and improving

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He's not played a full season yet and certainly struggled a few times last season. Started out well, didn't look as sharp in his call up, to call him the team's best goalie is premature. Further, Theo wasn't at all inconsistent last season really until down the stretch, but the team wasn't overly consistent, either. Nor was Clemmer terrible.

Tallon will either sign someone to challenge Markstrom for a spot, or believes he and Theo can split duties.
Yeah, Theo wasn't really inconsistent. Guy was extremely impressive all season long. He wavered a little bit down the stretch, as you said, but for more than 75% of the season the guy was as strong as could be.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Dineen Youngblood

They both did very well IMO. Teddy had some injury issues that caused him to miss some time. Clemmer was solid coming in. If anything, Clemmer would have a great game, give up 4 the next, and come back strong. I would love to have a tandem of Markstrom and Theodore but it would be a good idea to sign Clemmer to a 2-3 yr deal and let Teddy walk next year. That leaves us with Marky and Clemmer. Not bad I guess.

Dineen Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:51 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dineen Youngblood View Post
They both did very well IMO. Teddy had some injury issues that caused him to miss some time. Clemmer was solid coming in. If anything, Clemmer would have a great game, give up 4 the next, and come back strong. I would love to have a tandem of Markstrom and Theodore but it would be a good idea to sign Clemmer to a 2-3 yr deal and let Teddy walk next year. That leaves us with Marky and Clemmer. Not bad I guess.
Clemmenson for 2-3 years? 1 year tops.