HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues...part zwei

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
So out of our two remaining RFAs (Oshie and Perron) who gets signed first?

Vegas odds say its 50/50. Taking all bets. Who ya got
My guess would be Perron as it seems that Army is trying to get Oshie locked down long term so that might take more time? I have no idea, just a guess though.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
Couldnt agree more. STL meets the criteria of most things hes looking for + he get to plays with Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk. It would be amazing if he would take 6-6.5 mil to play here. If he wants 7 mil, sorry but i dont want him that bad.
My view on the Suter thing is that he will be looking for a 10-13 year career contract, and that he will be willing to leave money on the table to go somewhere that feels right.

The problem that I think we have is that we don't have a track record of spending since the lockout. There will come a time that we are going to have to spend the cap to keep our team together, and he'd have to just take our word that we'd be willing to do that. A team like Detroit is going to have a big advantage there.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Halak Ness Monster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
No dude. Cole is better than Fairchild. Ian Cole is not getting traded because of Cade freakin' Fairchild. He's an undersized d-man who has played 5 NHL games...Hint: He's not making anyone expendable.

The organization needs both for depth.
Cole is better than Fairchild. However, he isn't better than Russell.

Cole WILL NOT play over Russell.

Why have one of our best trade chips gather dust in the pressbox and possibly lose value?

It is obvious from what Army has said that they will pursue another top 4 d-man in addition to Jackman. So here is how Hitchcock will pair them up:
Petro-Free Agent
Shatty-Jackman
Polak-Russell

Take a look, Cole MIGHT get 25-30 games next year. So we can expect another extremely inconsistent season from him.

Then look forward to 2013-2014, who moves on? You'll still have the same 6 d-men under contract assuming Russell is re-signed.

I don't understand what you have against Cade Fairchild. The guy had a very good year in Peoria, didn't look out of place in the NHL, and is 23. He is ready to be the emergency call-up for a long term injury.

If we have to include Cole in a trade for Jordan Staal or another top center, I do it without hesitation. He has no spot in the lineup here.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:49 PM
stlweir

A problem the Blues have is that they are on the small side on the Blue line. LA pounded on our defense when they swept us. If the Blues sign a top four LD Cole gives the team very good depth as the 7th defenseman and as we know depth is very important in a long season. He played well last year when he had the opportunity. Cole has a positive upside and I just don't see the Blues dealing him. Fairchild was a very pleasant surprise but he is also on the small side which works against him. We've seen top FAs get outrageously long contracts for big bucks, then again we've seen a Hossa take less wanting to win a cup. This is Suter's chance to cash in big. I wonder if he has any connections to any of the current Blues players or staff that would help. We'll know soon enough.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika

Backes has had lunch with Hitchcock. Said Blues can identify players who bow out when times are tough. Need to change mentality or roster.
Interesting...

Old
06-19-2012, 04:37 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

That's pretty easy...Most of the team. I'm sure he's referring to Stewart and Perron though.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:28 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Karlsson just got 7 x 6.5M. This is pretty much how I expect Pietrangelo's next deal to look. He's the one guy they have to lock up as long as possible.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Karlsson just got 7 x 6.5M. This is pretty much how I expect Pietrangelo's next deal to look. He's the one guy they have to lock up as long as possible.
Yep if we can go longer we do it.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
That's pretty easy...Most of the team. I'm sure he's referring to Stewart and Perron though.
Not so sure on that one. When the Blues played Vancouver in the playoffs he was one of only two wingers which showed up at all. Rink rats like Perron typically have a pretty good chunk of desire and usually are not the ones tabbed as quiiters.

Obviously we do not see everything that happens behind closed doors and even on the bench...but Perron did not fade previously...I think putting him on that pile after the off-season he had last year is rather quick.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I wonder if there is any chance of getting Pietrangelo 10 x 6.5-7...

Old
06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
I doubt it. In terms of negotiating a contract, much better to be a 30 year old UFA than at 33. If he wants a 10 year deal, I'm sure we'll offer him one. The longer the term the better, wouldn't be against the Kovalchuk 17 year deal

Old
06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Yeah I think you looked into the possibility of moving Pietrangelo to the left side way too literally. IMO that means nothing and it's just Armstrong trying not to show his cards and blatantly say "WE WANT A LEFT-HANDED DEFENSEMAN LIKE GARRISON OR SUTER!"
I think the same, but you never know. That might be his pitch to Justin Schultz, we might not have space on our RHD for you, but we'll make space. Particularly if we were looking to keep the salary as low as possible next season.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:37 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
I doubt it. Both Army and JD have talked numerous times about not liking long contracts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't recall a single contract in recent years that's been longer than the 5 yr deal to Backes. Now, if anyone is going to get a long-term deal from the Blues, it's Petro, but I still don't tihnk they'd be willing to go longer than 5, maybe 6 yrs. I just don't think a team like the Blues can take that kind of financial risk, no matter who it is. I'll also note that the longest you can insure a contract is 7 years. Again, going beyond that is another risk a team like the Blues can't take.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

I know that Armstrong has his rules about very longterm contracts but there is an exception to every rule. Pietrangelo is that exception IMO.

I was thinking about the Oshie contract and I know everyone thinks he will hit in the low 4mil range but with Army's history of getting players at great prices I think he may end up getting a similiar deal (maybe just a little more) than what Steen got back in the 2010.

For those who don't remember Steen's contract.
4years, 3.36mil cap hit
structured like this 2.75,3.67,3.67,3.67.

So for Oshie I am saying
4 years, 3.62mil cap hit
structured like this 2.95,3.85,3.85,3.85

bank on it...

Old
06-20-2012, 09:28 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
I agree with pretty much everything Blanick just said on all accounts. If you can sign Petro to a retirement deal, do it. A player with his hockey sense isn't going to just all of a sudden lose it. I'd be completely comfortable if they gave him EK's deal, or could even add more years to it.

I think Perron will sign first.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
I agree with pretty much everything Blanick just said on all accounts. If you can sign Petro to a retirement deal, do it. A player with his hockey sense isn't going to just all of a sudden lose it. I'd be completely comfortable if they gave him EK's deal, or could even add more years to it.

I think Perron will sign first.
I think he will too and as much as I would like it to be a longer deal I get a feeling he might get a 1 year prove-it contract (IMO he proved it this year after he came back from his concussion.) I just think Army is gonna play it cautious so we don't end up with a similiar situation to Boston with Savard.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:57 AM
stlweir

Quote:
The young Blues record their second most points in history, lose in the second round to the eventual Stanley Cup winner, lose Halak to injury and someone calls most of the team out. That's just sad. l

Old
06-20-2012, 10:43 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

For folding up when the pressure was there? Yep. Good luck arguing that they didn't.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:46 PM
stlweir

Using your logic, Vancouver and Pheonix folded up to the pressure when they lost to the Kings 4 games -1 and Detroit folded when Nashville beat them 4 games - 1. Out of 30 teams there is only going to be one winner. 8 teams in the league advanced to the second round. What does that make the other 22 teams? The Kings steam rolled their way to the cup. In your book if that makes the Blues players a bunch of losers/chokers then so be it. I'm excitied about where this Blues team is now and where it is headed.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:30 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Its to Perron's credit that after taking more than a year off hockey, he's held to the same standard as everyone else. It was great to see his return this season, but he still wasn't up to his level yet. I still remember how he and Andy McDonald were the only guys that showed up against Vancouver in the playoffs. Before his career is over, I expect Perron to be considered a playoff performer.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
h22prelude93

JR's Latest - http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...le_cb96c22e-ba

Very interesting article, sounds like we could see something like this come opening night:

D'Agostini-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Stewart
Steen-McDonald-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Nichol-Langenbrunner

Old
06-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

JRs talk with Hitch.

Quote:
Hitchcock didn't want to get into potential line combinations in June, but he gave some indications. It seems likely that if Stewart can perform at a higher level than last year, he could begin the season with Patrik Berglund and David Perron. David Backes and T.J. Oshie are expected to stay together with a left winger yet to be determined. That could be a spot for Matt D'Agostini. It's likely that you'll see Andy McDonald and Alex Steen stick together, as they were at the end of last season. With Vladimir Tarasenko playing right wing, he could be a fit on the McDonald and Steen line, meaning there's a chance McDonald or Steen could play center. Steen is the likely bet.
Everything can change but it is sounding like the top 9 could

D'Agostini-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Stewart
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko

Old
06-20-2012, 01:47 PM
sdaltons

man i'd love if we could bring in another skilled forward in place of D'agostini, but i realize he's cheap and produces pretty well for his salary.

i was thinking Tarasenko with Perron and Berglund, but i might like these combos better.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
JR's Latest - http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...le_cb96c22e-ba

Very interesting article, sounds like we could see something like this come opening night:

D'Agostini-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Stewart
Steen-McDonald-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Nichol-Langenbrunner
damn your fast.......

Old
06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
man i'd love if we could bring in another skilled forward in place of D'agostini, but i realize he's cheap and produces pretty well for his salary.

i was thinking Tarasenko with Perron and Berglund, but i might like these combos better.
Jaden Schwartz will be that before the end of next season. The time in the AHL looks pretty vital though, meanwhile D'Agostini is a nice enough option to have.

Closed Thread