HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz Part III | Officially a UFA; Can't Sign Until July 1st

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Re: Why doesn't he want to sign in Anaheim.

2 Words. Cam. Fowler.

He knows he'll never be the go-to offensive d-man or power play QB there with Cameron Fowler. He can come here or Vancouver and immediately become the power play QB.
So he knows he can't supplant Fowler - a player younger than him, but will have no issues leap-frogging Edler (22pts on PP), Salo (potential UFA but wants to stay in VAN, 55 career PPG) and Bieksa?

VAN and EDM are nowhere near the same opportunity for Schultz. Everyone seems to be looking for reasons he won't come here, but will go to VAN (play for a winner). Why don't we all think more logically and look at it like this: What is the #1 motivating factor for any player? Money. Where is the majority of the money in a max ELC coming from? Schedule B bonuses (roughly 2.75mil, versus the $925,000 base salary and $92,500 signing bonus). What are some of the Schedule B bonuses he could hit?

(In order of easiest to achieve)
- 3 PPG
- Play on one of the two units on a top 10 ranked PP (we finished 3rd last year)
- 25 assists
- 10 goals
- 40 points
- finish top 4 among D men ice-time

I'm not sure how many he has to hit to max it out, but I'd have to think his chance to do it here would be better than anywhere else given Corey Potter is the only guy standing in his way for PP time. There are other bonuses, but I think these (along with All-Rookie team and top 5 Calder voting) are the attainable ones.

A lot may go into his decision, but remember that the kid has spent 3 years making 0 dollars to play hockey. Money is almost certainly #1 on his list. He'll have the best chance to get paid here.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:46 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Like I said before, I don't think the issue is trading for his rights, I think the issue is the Schultz camp listening to anything before July 1st.

I like the idea of being the 1st to present your case (and esp. the pace Tambellini goes, we'd need that extra week), but I think the Schultz camp would say thanks for your interest and we'll talk to you July 1st. For a 5th round pick... I'd still do it.
or you could obtain his rights and then accuse other teams of tampering before july 1st and turn that 5th rounder into 28 5th rounders...............GENIUS

Old
06-18-2012, 06:52 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
if the rumors are true that he and his agents have let it be known that they won't talk to anyone before July 1st, because they are so miffed with Anaheim that they don't want the Ducks to get anything out of this situation at all, if this is true, do you hurt (or kill,) your chances to sign him if you do trade for his rights?

Old
06-18-2012, 08:57 PM
rockinghockey

Hopefully starting Sunday we start to hear something. If we draft Yak and sign Shultz that is adding a top 6 winger and a top 4 dman, that is one thing that every team would love to happen in the off season.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:23 PM
gcg
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
So he knows he can't supplant Fowler - a player younger than him, but will have no issues leap-frogging Edler (22pts on PP), Salo (potential UFA but wants to stay in VAN, 55 career PPG) and Bieksa?

VAN and EDM are nowhere near the same opportunity for Schultz. Everyone seems to be looking for reasons he won't come here, but will go to VAN (play for a winner). Why don't we all think more logically and look at it like this: What is the #1 motivating factor for any player? Money. Where is the majority of the money in a max ELC coming from? Schedule B bonuses (roughly 2.75mil, versus the $925,000 base salary and $92,500 signing bonus). What are some of the Schedule B bonuses he could hit?

(In order of easiest to achieve)
- 3 PPG
- Play on one of the two units on a top 10 ranked PP (we finished 3rd last year)
- 25 assists
- 10 goals
- 40 points
- finish top 4 among D men ice-time

I'm not sure how many he has to hit to max it out, but I'd have to think his chance to do it here would be better than anywhere else given Corey Potter is the only guy standing in his way for PP time. There are other bonuses, but I think these (along with All-Rookie team and top 5 Calder voting) are the attainable ones.

A lot may go into his decision, but remember that the kid has spent 3 years making 0 dollars to play hockey. Money is almost certainly #1 on his list. He'll have the best chance to get paid here.

Actually, if he plays in Vancouver, he'll get 2nd pairing with Edler and 1st PP unit. With Bieksa and Hamhuis doing the heavy lifting as the shutdown pair, Schultz will be able to focus on offense. Vancouver likes to be aggressive with their D - the stats prove this as the Canucks had 3 D in the top 25 of defenseman scoring last year. Schultz would absolutely thrive in this environment. The last Canuck that had this role was Ehrhoff and I believe he got a nice $40 million contract out of it. How would his potential situation in Edmonton be able to top that??

Old
06-19-2012, 04:43 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg View Post
Actually, if he plays in Vancouver, he'll get 2nd pairing with Edler and 1st PP unit. With Bieksa and Hamhuis doing the heavy lifting as the shutdown pair, Schultz will be able to focus on offense. Vancouver likes to be aggressive with their D - the stats prove this as the Canucks had 3 D in the top 25 of defenseman scoring last year. Schultz would absolutely thrive in this environment. The last Canuck that had this role was Ehrhoff and I believe he got a nice $40 million contract out of it. How would his potential situation in Edmonton be able to top that??
His offense is likely to be at an NHL level but there will definitely be an adjustment period for his defense and it will likely be at least a season. If he is Van's second pairing d-man next year the Nucks are in real trouble. He isn't nearly the prospect that Larsson is and Larsson was a healthy scratch for the Stanley Cup Final.

Edmonton will be far more tolerant of his growing pains than a Stanley Cup contender will be. We've come to accept that our hockey team is an infant Superman. Every once in awhile it stands up, flies around the room, and punches holes through walls but for the most part it just falls down a lot.

A young defenseman, struggling to get acclimated to the speed of the NHL game, would fit right in here. He'd have a much harder row to hoe with a contender. But who knows, maybe he wants that challenge.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Edmonton will be far more tolerant of his growing pains than a Stanley Cup contender will be. We've come to accept that our hockey team is an infant Superman. Every once in awhile it stands up, flies around the room, and punches holes through walls but for the most part it just falls down a lot.

awesome.
good one!

Old
06-19-2012, 06:36 PM
T-Funk

Tom Gilbert, while I hoped he would, did not get run out of town by fans.

So I think Schultz will be fine.

As long as he doesn't live with his mom...that really did a number to public opinion on Pitkanen

Old
06-19-2012, 06:41 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Tom Gilbert, while I hoped he would, did not get run out of town by fans.

So I think Schultz will be fine.

As long as he doesn't live with his mom...that really did a number to public opinion on Pitkanen
The nose picking was worse...

Old
06-19-2012, 07:03 PM
JohnWayne

Obviously if the oilers don't sign him, fire all managers, the coach who has not been hired and make Katz sell the team for not having the right people in place

Hopefully the oilers sign him and he will maybe solve our problem in the rear end

Old
06-19-2012, 07:04 PM
gcg
Rookie User

Quote:
His offense is likely to be at an NHL level but there will definitely be an adjustment period for his defense and it will likely be at least a season. If he is Van's second pairing d-man next year the Nucks are in real trouble. He isn't nearly the prospect that Larsson is and Larsson was a healthy scratch for the Stanley Cup Final.

A young defenseman, struggling to get acclimated to the speed of the NHL game, would fit right in here. He'd have a much harder row to hoe with a contender. But who knows, maybe he wants that challenge.
Adam Larsson just got drafted last year and is 19 years old. Schultz at 21 and with 3 years of college hockey is much more ready for the NHL. If Schultz is paired with Edler next year, the Canucks will be a better team, not in trouble. From what I've read, Schultz is a very competitive person, so I don't think a "tolerant" environment would be a great selling feature for him. Edmonton has some terrific young talent and really that's its only selling feature that no other team can match. (It's also the 3rd closest NHL city to West Kelowna, which is ok, but obviously isn't better than Van.)

Old
06-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
The nose picking was worse...

Old
06-19-2012, 07:33 PM
ThePresent83

I don't want to give up anything for his exclusive rights. I just think no matter what any team says, he is going to want to talk to all his options about his role before he signs. The only way he can do that is to go to July 1. I don't think there is any point talking to him before then.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Alawishis

Quote:
Adam Larsson just got drafted last year and is 19 years old. Schultz at 21 and with 3 years of college hockey is much more ready for the NHL. If Schultz is paired with Edler next year, the Canucks will be a better team, not in trouble. From what I've read, Schultz is a very competitive person, so I don't think a "tolerant" environment would be a great selling feature for him. Edmonton has some terrific young talent and really that's its only selling feature that no other team can match. (It's also the 3rd closest NHL city to West Kelowna, which is ok, but obviously isn't better than Van.)
Vancouver is in "must win now" mode. There is very little tolerance for a young defenceman to find his legs over 20 or so games. If he starts to stumble in Vancouver they'll be forced to make a move sooner than in Edmonton. In Edmonton he will be a higher percentage contributor and competitive players love that. There are a lot of options to replace him in Vancouver, he will not be the go-to guy there. He will be on a sort leash as he would on any contending team. You guys can't afford to lose games while a rookie you put in a key position finds his stride.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:00 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawishis View Post
Vancouver is in "must win now" mode. There is very little tolerance for a young defenceman to find his legs over 20 or so games. If he starts to stumble in Vancouver they'll be forced to make a move sooner than in Edmonton. In Edmonton he will be a higher percentage contributor and competitive players love that. There are a lot of options to replace him in Vancouver, he will not be the go-to guy there. He will be on a sort leash as he would on any contending team. You guys can't afford to lose games while a rookie you put in a key position finds his stride.
If he paid any attention to the Canucks this season, maybe he should just sign in Buffalo.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:08 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
How would his potential situation in Edmonton be able to top that??
by putting up points with 5 sick forwards as they grow together and get into playoffs very soon (depending whats done in the off-season, who knows? though im doubting it)

why go play for a choker who was just supplanted by the hip/trendy Kings (har har) of the West? the Canucks are never going to recover from the SC choke. they'll still be solid but the pressure cracked their mask way too hard. not to mention their bottom 6 is pretty "meh".

Old
06-21-2012, 07:12 AM
hugeegosorry

What's all this business about Pitkanen being weird? totally don't remember these things...

Old
06-21-2012, 07:44 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugeegosorry View Post
What's all this business about Pitkanen being weird? totally don't remember these things...
very introverted guy, lived with his mom, seemingly didn't play unless he was 100% healthy (people thought he faked injuries), former teammate punched him in the face in practice because he was so frustrating etc etc

Old
06-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
very introverted guy, lived with his mom, seemingly didn't play unless he was 100% healthy (people thought he faked injuries), former teammate punched him in the face in practice because he was so frustrating etc etc
I can't even recall watching an interview of his during his one season here. Very strange dude indeed.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:14 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 337
Quote:
Even MacTavish said he pulled the shoot.

That should have been our first clue that he was done here.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
We've come to accept that our hockey team is an infant Superman. Every once in awhile it stands up, flies around the room, and punches holes through walls but for the most part it just falls down a lot.
This is my new favourite quote

Old
06-21-2012, 01:42 PM
MattFromFranklin

Does anyone know anything about Schultz's character? Like in terms of if he's about winning or just going to sign with the team that offers him the very last penny? If he's all about winning, I really don't see why he'd sign with a team like the Islanders, Blue Jackets, or Oilers, who all need help on defense, unless they significantly overpay for him. It's going to be very interesting, and I think there's going to be a hell of a bidding war for this guy, he's a solid prospect.

What do you guys think he ultimately signs for in terms of years and dollars?

Also, I'm curious about your defensive core going forward. I really like guys like Musil (thought he was a major steal), Klefbom, Marincin, etc., but imo, they're going to be #2 or #3 guys, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's awesome to have depth on the blueline, but it wouldn't hurt to have a legit #1. If you guys draft Yaks, and put all your eggs into the Justin Schultz basket, and don't get him, where do you guys go? Does Kevin Lowe throw one of his notorious offer sheets at Shea Weber? It's pretty slim pickings for legit #1 d-men on the Free Agent market, and given how Edmonton hasn't had much success the last few years, they'd likely have to significantly overpay to get one to come out west. Remember, Nashville filed arbitration last year and they can't do it again, and they're not exactly a cash-rich franchise. If Lowe does that, I think he'd be a SOLID addition. Him and Whitney running the power play and dishing the puck to Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yaks, Gagner, etc. would be downright scary.

Anyone else you can go after on the trade market? Thanks!

Old
06-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
Does anyone know anything about Schultz's character? Like in terms of if he's about winning or just going to sign with the team that offers him the very last penny? If he's all about winning, I really don't see why he'd sign with a team like the Islanders, Blue Jackets, or Oilers, who all need help on defense, unless they significantly overpay for him. It's going to be very interesting, and I think there's going to be a hell of a bidding war for this guy, he's a solid prospect.

Also, I'm curious about your defensive core going forward. I really like guys like Musil (thought he was a major steal), Klefbom, Marincin, etc., but imo, they're going to be #2 or #3 guys, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's awesome to have depth on the blueline, but it wouldn't hurt to have a legit #1. If you guys draft Yaks, and put all your eggs into the Justin Schultz basket, and don't get him, where do you guys go? Does Kevin Lowe throw one of his notorious offer sheets at Shea Weber? It's pretty slim pickings for legit #1 d-men on the Free Agent market, and given how Edmonton hasn't had much success the last few years, they'd likely have to significantly overpay to get one to come out west. Remember, Nashville filed arbitration last year and they can't do it again, and they're not exactly a cash-rich franchise. If Lowe does that, I think he'd be a SOLID addition. Him and Whitney running the power play and dishing the puck to Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yaks, Gagner, etc. would be downright scary.

There won't be any bidding war for him. He can only get a max elc contract and that's what he'll get.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:48 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
There won't be any bidding war for him. He can only get a max elc contract and that's what he'll get.
Thanks. Much appreciated!

Old
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post

It costs nothing to pursue Schultz and he is relatively cheap if he does sign so why would we be throwing our eggs into one basket. Leaf fan?

Closed Thread