HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLV All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
A lot of talk about Chicago trying to move Hjalmarsson. I have no idea why they'd sign a guy like Oduya to that contract if it meant getting rid of Hjalmarsson, who I'd take in a heartbeat on the Habs. I think he can play the right side, which would be perfect, but if he can't, Gorges could probably move back over.
Chicago should have taken the picks from San Jose

Old
06-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
2 years left. It was actually two summers ago he signed a four year deal, when the Hawks had won the cup, somehow I completely forgot there was a team that won it last year...
I think all Habs fans wish they could forget who won it last year....

Old
06-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I thought Oduya was abysmal in his Atlanta/Winnipeg incarnation, anyway. He had a lot going for him in the early days with NJ, but I don't know what happened, if it was just changing systems or something more to him individually, but he's a guy I wouldn't have wanted from the Jets for free, let alone trade for, let alone re-sign to a big contract... oh well. I'd rather have Hjalmarsson too.

Guys like Dubinsky and Hjalmarsson would be of interest to me... but I still don't want to trade significant assets for them. It's almost UFA season. Those guys already have UFA-like premium salaries, so why should I also add in trade assets to get them? No thanks. First let's explore the UFA market. TBH, when it comes to the UFA market, I think I'd rather settle for short-term Plan B/C free agents rather than trade assets for Dubinskys or Hjalmarssons. Hopefully there won't be that much of a separation in quality between some of the Plan B/C free agents and decent-but-not-high-impact players like Dubinsky and Hjalmarsson.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Protest the Hero

The problem I see with the UFA market is that there are barely any RH, top 4 defencemen. If we can add one, to play with Markov on the second pairing, I feel we should be in great shape.

I'm still not sure if it's the best option. The smart thing would be taking it slowly, and retooling so we'll be able to compete when Tinordi, Bealieu and Ellis are ready to make an impact, but I don't want to watch another disaster season.

You're right though that we're not really in a great position to be giving up future assets when we're not even sure how good this team really is.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
A lot of talk about Chicago trying to move Hjalmarsson. I have no idea why they'd sign a guy like Oduya to that contract if it meant getting rid of Hjalmarsson, who I'd take in a heartbeat on the Habs. I think he can play the right side, which would be perfect, but if he can't, Gorges could probably move back over.
Hjalmarsson wasn't very good last year, but I think that has more to do with how weak Chicago's D was than anything else. I'd gladly take him on the Habs.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Andy

I'd take Hjalmarsson in a heartbeat. He is a lot better than what he looked like last season.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Dagistitsyn

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Hearing ANA's Bobby Ryan is "available" again after being taken off trade market after Randy Carlyle's Duck departure.

What would it take? What do you offer?

Old
06-19-2012, 04:18 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie
Hearing ANA's Bobby Ryan is "available" again after being taken off trade market after Randy Carlyle's Duck departure.

I can't think of anything that would be interesting and/or not hurting this mini-rebuild.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie

He'd be a nice guy to have, but I have a feeling that his production wouldn't match the cost. He's a guy that needs a kick in the pants for motivation pretty often.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

It would require the 3rd and then some. I don't know about you guys, but I put a lot more value on our 3rd overall pick than others would. That chance to draft a big, skilled potential number 1 centre is all too valuable to us.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
It would require the 3rd and then some. I don't know about you guys, but I put a lot more value on our 3rd overall pick than others would. That chance to draft a big, skilled potential number 1 centre is all too valuable to us.
Grigorenko?

Galchenyuk is not that big. Just under 6'1".. Not gunna argue with his skill though.

I don't want them to trade the pick either, but I'd start the package with Gionta + prospects and other picks.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Grigorenko?

Galchenyuk is not that big. Just under 6'1".. Not gunna argue with his skill though.

I don't want them to trade the pick either, but I'd start the package with Gionta + prospects and other picks.
For Ryan ?

Might get you laughed at.

6'1 with room to grow. He'll probably end up 6'2 with a slight chance of 6'3.

6'2 210lbs.Beast.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
For Ryan ?

Might get you laughed at.

6'1 with room to grow. He'll probably end up 6'2 with a slight chance of 6'3.

6'2 210lbs.Beast.
Depending on what prospects and picks are added.

Galchenyuk is 18 and he has been 6.05" since he first came to the OHL.. he may end up being 6'2" but I doubt it. 6'1 210 pounds doesn't make him a beast.

The average NHLer is 73.33" (6' 1 1/3") tall, weighs 204.42 lbs

Old
06-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Et le But

I'd rather draft Forsberg than trade for Ryan.

I don't see us having assets besides our pick that will get us Ryan without taking a major step back elsewhere.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Roke

Senators' official twitter account just tweeted that they've signed Karlsson to a 7-year contract. Will be interesting to see how big the if there is an overpay is considering he had a great year but was only getting 2nd-pairing matchups so the minutes weren't too tough.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Senators' official twitter account just tweeted that they've signed Karlsson to a 7-year contract. Will be interesting to see how big the if there is an overpay is considering he had a great year but was only getting 2nd-pairing matchups so the minutes weren't too tough.
I expect 7 years 43-44 mil.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I expect 7 years 43-44 mil.

Almost spot on. Bob McKenzie tweeted 7 years, $6.5m/year (45.5m). Not a great deal but not a bad one. If Karlsson can step into tough minutes in a year or two without a big drop in production Ottawa will come out more than okay.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:29 PM
habtastic

I think Karlsson is making more than that contract in Alfredsson family babysitting fees.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:30 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Almost spot on. Bob McKenzie tweeted 7 years, $6.5m/year (45.5m). Not a great deal but not a bad one. If Karlsson can step into tough minutes in a year or two without a big drop in production Ottawa will come out more than okay.
Derp what? He played as much as Subban did for us.

Speaking of which, PK won't be getting any less than 4mil for sure....

Old
06-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post

I was speaking in terms of quality/difficulty rather than quantity. Subban was hard-matched against the opposition's best and had a Ozone%( % of non-neutral even-strength faceoffs started in the offensive zone) of 46.3% of less than 50% while Karlsson had an Ozone% of 57.1%. That's a sizeable difference where one guy is carrying the load defensively and another guy is being put in a position to put up offensive numbers.

This is along the lines of the discussion in the Player Usage Chart thread. Karlsson's usage for Ottawa this past season was fairly similar to Erhoff in his last season in Vancouver though not as generous. Subban's usage was along the lines of defensemen like Shea Weber or Chara

Old
06-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
If ANA moves Ryan I suspect it would be for two or three building block pieces that would increase organizational depth but not payroll.

I assume that would mean 2 of Beaulieu LeBlanc Tinordi Gallagher 2012 or 2013 1st etc plus maybe a B prospect. I would offer our 2013 1st plus Kristo and Weber...doubt they would accept but worth a shot.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Shabutie

Quote:

Karlsson played softer minutes though (didn't play against top lines). Phillips/Cowen were getting the tougher minutes.

Definitely not worth 6.5m yet...but maybe it'll work out for them. Hoping that Subban signs for 4.5m for 3-4 years.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:

My guess is that Subban will get Myers money (5-5.5M per for 5-7y).

Old
06-19-2012, 05:38 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
I was speaking in terms of quality/difficulty rather than quantity. Subban was hard-matched against the opposition's best and had a Ozone%( % of non-neutral even-strength faceoffs started in the offensive zone) of 46.3% of less than 50% while Karlsson had an Ozone% of 57.1%. That's a sizeable difference where one guy is carrying the load defensively and another guy is being put in a position to put up offensive numbers.
I get it now. True but the truth is, they spent a lot of time in the offensive zone because he was on the ice. So it's also a by-product of his presence.

Carey, that's a serious offer. I think they would think very hard about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
My guess is that Subban will get Myers money (5-5.5M per for 5-7y).
You wish.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

It depends on the term. The longer we sign PK for the higher the cap hit(up to 7-8 years anyways).

If he signs for 2 years it's around 4 mil/year. The risk in taht is if he has a Karlsson type break out and then costs 6.5-7 mil/year after those 2 years.

OR

You can go 5-6 years and up to 4.75-5.5/year...3.5-4.5-5.5-6-6.5 26 mil over 5 years or 32 mil over 6 and share the risk.

Ottawa definitely didn't get Karlsson cheap but if he is a perennial all star he'll earn it, if he has more growing pains going forward it could start looking bad.

Closed Thread