HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
03-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Yes from time to time, not as much as he used to. I'd try it all kinds of ways and see what you prefer, it probably doesn't matter in the long run, but it's nice to get your own style and groove with that stuff.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:19 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yes from time to time, not as much as he used to. I'd try it all kinds of ways and see what you prefer, it probably doesn't matter in the long run, but it's nice to get your own style and groove with that stuff.
if you got real soft hands, you could save alot of tape doing the Heatley style!

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Twice I've tried the minimalist tape jobs, and twice I've had the game tying goals on my stick and lost it. Never again!

Old
03-26-2012, 04:14 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Twice I've tried the minimalist tape jobs, and twice I've had the game tying goals on my stick and lost it. Never again!
I can tell you that I cannot catch nearly as good as these guys and I pretty much overlap the thinner tape in half for added dampning (plus I coat the bottom half of my tape job in wax, like icing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkRNN3xbRf0

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Danikjan

Hey guys, love this board a lot

I used to just shoot around with my hockey friend as a kid, and now I want to get into playing hockey because I absolutely love the sport.

Now my handedness is in question, when I was smaller I shot right handed, because my friends stick was right handed (left hand holding the top), and that felt normal to me. I then played tennis for my HS team, and still played right handed, and recently tried out my friend's left handed stick, which felt really awkward shooting/passing with that left handed stick.

I know the answer should be obvious, go for the right handed stick, but I am right handed and right footed which stirs things up. To poke check with my left hand ( I assume the hand you use with a right handed stick) feels awkward and less precise to me, but feels fine with my right. Should I just switch hands when the time arises or consider shooting left. Or am I making a big deal out of nothing.

TLR
Right handed, right footed, like to shoot right. Left hand stick poking feels wierd, what do i do?

Danikjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:49 AM
sauce9397

I am looking to buy a new stick (my 87 flex APX broke at the end of my season). What would you guys say is the most durable top of the line stick?

sauce9397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:18 PM
qmechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danikjan View Post
Now my handedness is in question, when I was smaller I shot right handed, because my friends stick was right handed (left hand holding the top), and that felt normal to me. I then played tennis for my HS team, and still played right handed, and recently tried out my friend's left handed stick, which felt really awkward shooting/passing with that left handed stick.

I know the answer should be obvious, go for the right handed stick, but I am right handed and right footed which stirs things up. To poke check with my left hand ( I assume the hand you use with a right handed stick) feels awkward and less precise to me, but feels fine with my right. Should I just switch hands when the time arises or consider shooting left. Or am I making a big deal out of nothing.

TLR
Right handed, right footed, like to shoot right. Left hand stick poking feels wierd, what do i do?
I don't think you have time to change hands unless you're playing in a low level league. From what you say, it sounds like your right hand on top gives you better stickhandling, so I would recommend you to consider shooting left. I think stickhandling is way more important than shooting because you spend much more game time on the former than the latter. If you're a defenseman, stickhandling is especially crucial -- which is probably why so many NHL defensemen are lefties.

I used to shoot right and my coaches made me switch to lefty. I was really mad at them, but it didn't take too long to get used to. My passing/stickhandling/etc came back pretty fast. Your shot is probably stronger as a righty, but if you take the time to learn proper technique, your lefty shot should become nearly as good.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Welcome!

Honestly if you feel awkward using a lefty stick, use a righty. But if you can stick it out for a few weeks using a lefty, that might give you better hands long run.

I would pick up cheap lefty stick and do some stickhandling with a golf ball or tennis ball and see if it sticks. $30 for a wood stick isn't that bad in the long run, and it it doesn't work, go righty.

Old
05-21-2012, 07:35 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Quote:

TLR
You said shooting right feels more natural, so i would go with that. Poke checking is easier to work on compared to shooting/control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce9397 View Post
I am looking to buy a new stick (my 87 flex APX broke at the end of my season). What would you guys say is the most durable top of the line stick?
The TotalOne for mid-kick points, and well... APX for low-kick points.
How did you break your APX?

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Wrong thread, lol

Correct one: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=142

Last edited by Stories: 05-21-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:58 AM
sauce9397

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
The TotalOne for mid-kick points, and well... APX for low-kick points.
How did you break your APX?

lower part of the stick (seems like it's near the kick-point)

sauce9397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:38 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Finally took the plunge on a new pair of skates. I went to my LHS and found a pair of CCM U+ 09 that were left over on clearance in my size. I got a pretty decent deal on them, $180. I'm now finally wearing a skate that fits my foot. I didn't bake them last night, I'll get them baked sometime this week as I really wanted to try them out on my game (I'm upgrading from a terribad pair of Bauer Silver which were $40 when I bought them and was first learning to skate that was a size and a half too big).

I tried to them during my game last night, and it's amazing how much of a difference a new skate can make. Each stride transferred power to the ice so much better than my old skates, my turns were crisper and faster. The entire boot is so much stiffer than my old one that I can really feel how much better of skate it is. The steel is also much better and digs into the ice much better so I've got much more stability when turning. My first two steps are now much more explosive than before because I lose less power when taking my strides.

All in all, I'm a very happy man. Now once I get them baked, I'm hoping that the boot is a little bit more comfortable Right now, they're not particularly comfortable.
Good to hear haha, but wrong thread

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:56 AM
donkers*

I'm going to get me one of those RBZ's when they come out this Fall. Saving all of my pennies from now until then. Literally.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Good to hear haha, but wrong thread
LOL. Oops. Thanks

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:30 AM
michaelshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
I'm going to get me one of those RBZ's when they come out this Fall. Saving all of my pennies from now until then. Literally.
Let us know how they feel!
I couldn't wait for the RBZ so I got the Mako last month, it would've been a perfect stick for me if the shaft is not boxy..

Old
06-18-2012, 07:35 PM
do0glas

hey guys,

so im buying my second stick.

when i first bought it, i hadnt even ever tried playing. so i ended up with a bauer supreme one55 p92 87 flex 59-60" ~. heres what ive determined.

1. i need a lower flex rating. ideally id like 75.
2. the stick needs to be shorter. standing in bare feet, this one eclipses my nose by about an inch, id like it in bare feet to be between my chin and my top lip.
3. the backstrom curve is a little too much, im leaning more toward the p88 to get the all around feel.
4. the lie, im still undetermined on, right now i use a lie 6, and i feel like i have to get a little further down to execute a wrist shot than id like.

im pretty much set on getting a bauer x:6.0. so keep that in mind

heres my questions for you guys.

1. i see an intermediate bauer x60 and it comes in at 57". i need to take about 2" to achieve the flex rating i want, or close enough that its negligable. im 5'9 145 lb. not overly strong, but not weak either. i can probably outdo my weight class in most areas, but not by a big stretch. will 2" get it to 75 from a 67 flex? also the only lie the p88 comes in is 6, is it a huge deal from 5 to 6?

the senior sticks seem to start at 77, and then are already too tall for most of the guidelines ive seen. so no matter which senior stick i buy im always going to end up with 87 or more flex.

am i just kind of in the middle here?

is intermediate the right way to go?

and is there a stick that would more fit my needs thats comparable?

thanks for your time!

EDIT: been messing with my current stick, and grabbing the top where i think ill cut it down. the lie 6 will probably work. im guessing im not skating with a deep enough knee bend. if i get a lie 6 and cut it down 2" will that affect much?

Last edited by do0glas: 06-18-2012 at 08:15 PM.
do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:27 PM
do0glas

sorry for the dbl post.

im going a different direction with this.

since im still inexperienced, and newly transitioning to intermediates, i think im going to buy two different low price point sticks, instead of one top end 160$ stick.

im looking about the bauer x 3.0, ccm u+08 and the easton mako m1. would these be good ones to start with?

also should i get different curves on each one?

Old
06-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

At your height and weight, the Vapor intermediate would likely be a good fit. They are on the stiffer end of intermediates but nowhere near as stiff as a senior cut down, which is a good thing. Actually most intermediate sticks feel pretty similar in terms of flex with the exception of maybe the Warrior 55 flex.

Skating with a deeper knee bend will put your stick blade more on the heel, which means you'd want a lower lie, not a higher one. The P88 curve is closer to 5.5 lie, but then again so is the P92. You may want to check the PM9 curve which is pretty mild but a 5 lie.

I would recommend NOT going with two cheap low end sticks, and just get one good intermediate shaft and a couple blades to try out different curves and lies. A few ideas would be:

Base hockey - you can get a shaft for $75 and a blade for $55. Two blades plus shipping ~ $200. You'll probably want to get the 75 flex intermediate shaft though as they are whippy.

Hockey monkey - get a Warrior intermediate dolomite clearance for $70 then a couple Easton wood tapered blades for $25 each. Total would be ~ $120 with free shipping. These are great shafts and blades. Once you find the blade pattern you like, you can invest in a good composite blade, or just keep using cheap woodies that might have better feel without the durability.

Hockey giant - get a pair of Easton EQ40 one piece sticks for $80 each or the S15's for $80 each.

For blades, you'll probably want one of each:
- Easton Cammalleri ~ Base BM09 ~ Harrow #1 ~ Bauer PM9
- Easton Iginla ~ Base BC88 ~ Harrow #5 ~ Bauer P88

Old
06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
do0glas

thanks for the advice.

i went ahead with the CCM u+08 and bauer supreme ONE30. with two different curves/lies p88 and lecavalier curves. 5.5/6 lie.

they werent the entry models but one above that, and from what i could see the higher end ones just had a few extra features. both of them normally retailed at 100 and i ended up spending 125 total.

ive been using a senior bauer one55 and the length is annoying, as is the flex. so i went with a 67 flex stick and im going to cut it down 2" to hopefully be somewhere between my chin and upper lip in skates.

the reason i went with two sticks is because since i started with bauer i keep gravitating toward them, so i wanted to see/feel another brand, most of the reviews had decent things to say about each stick.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:16 PM
AIREAYE

Too bad, you should have opted for one stick at the pricepoint ($100-110) above those; that's where the most value lies imo. The X:40/4.0, One60 are definitely worth the money.

Old
06-19-2012, 06:46 PM
do0glas

thanks for all the tips guys, ill just live and learn at this point . at my skill level im expecting to feel a big difference just from the flex and length, and then as i progress ill start knowing how itll help me to have a lighter stick/ different kick points and stuff. i had a pretty set price point and i wanted more options to experiment with, so ill let you know how it goes .

Old
06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
michaelshu

I recently went back to my old stick length (collarbone), but now I feel that even my 67 flex Int. stick is too stiff because I'm short & have to cut it quite a lot. So I'd probably need a 60 flex stick soon.

Can any of you tell me which brands has 60 flex besides Bauer or Warrior's 55 flex?

Old
06-19-2012, 07:27 PM
AD1066

Anyone here purchased a pro stock stick? How was it?

I have a Reebook 11k arriving tomorrow which I paid about $120 for and I'm not sure what to expect.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post
Anyone here purchased a pro stock stick? How was it?

I have a Reebook 11k arriving tomorrow which I paid about $120 for and I'm not sure what to expect.
That's it right there, you never know what to expect. Reebok/CCM sticks have various codes. Post them when you see them. There should also be a 2 or 3 letter abbv. in the crest where Sickick 3 is iirc, post that too.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:57 PM
AD1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That's it right there, you never know what to expect. Reebok/CCM sticks have various codes. Post them when you see them. There should also be a 2 or 3 letter abbv. in the crest where Sickick 3 is iirc, post that too.
H-14 (curve)

Tr
2771A
A1

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote