HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part VI (Summer In Da' City)

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
RA and the kids are making it so fun to watch the Mets for the first time in a while.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
All of baseball seems to be pretty mediocre. No dominate teams.
I like the parity.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

parity?

In the NHL 7 out of the 30 teams finished with records with fewer wins than losses...in MLB right now you have 11....a lot less parity than you think. There are some truly awful teams out there. The NHL has parity....MLB has injuries that seems to artificially cause parity thanks to its ridiculously long schedule.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:28 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

The best thing about RA is that he is humble about it all. The guy understands so much from being down in his career. Such an awesome person.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
parity?

In the NHL 7 out of the 30 teams finished with records with fewer wins than losses...in MLB right now you have 11....a lot less parity than you think. There are some truly awful teams out there. The NHL has parity....MLB has injuries that seems to artificially cause parity thanks to its ridiculously long schedule.
That's an unfair comparison because baseball doesn't have OT losses. Take out OT losses and 13 teams in the NHL finish with fewer wins than losses...including the Stanley Cup Champions.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
parity?

That's definitely wrong. The NHL's version of .500 is completely different than everyone else's. The W-L-OTL makes records look much better than they are. Did you take that into account?

Old
06-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 1500
If you guys seriously think the MLB has as much parity, or even close to as much parity as the NHL then you are out of your mind.

Which team always wins the AL East? Which two teams always fight each other for the AL Wildcard? Which team won the NL East the past few years?

Parity my ass.

Baltimore goes into every season doubting they will make the playoffs. Same thing with Toronto.

06-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By BB Gun View Post
That's definitely wrong. The NHL's version of .500 is completely different than everyone else's. The W-L-OTL makes records look much better than they are. Did you take that into account?
i didn't but i could....

playing at .500 means earning 82 out of a possible 164 points in a season. there were 7 teams that finished with fewer than 82 points.

exact same number.

8 teams if you include the .500 mark. if you include the .500 mark in MLB the number jumps to 14 teams who are at, or below .500

Old
06-19-2012, 03:38 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
i didn't but i could....

playing at .500 means earning 82 out of a possible 164 points in a season. there were 7 teams that finished with fewer than 82 points.

exact same number.

8 teams if you include the .500 mark. if you include the .500 mark in MLB the number jumps to 14 teams who are at, or below .500
I don't think you can look at the NHL and MLB the same. 10 MLB teams out of 30 makes the "playoffs" now while 16 out of 30 make the NHL playoffs.

To me, I think disregarding the bottom 10 teams in the MLB and taking the top 20 would show that there is a lot more parity in the MLB. Are those 20 teams going to legit be near or around the playoffs in August? I believe so. If you do that as of right now, Milwaukee, Oakland and Philly, all teams with over 30 wins would be out of the parity mix. Philly and Milwaukee are teams that made the playoffs last season. Philly had 102 wins. There is quite a bit of parity in the MLB.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Phillies' Galvis suspended for 50 games for steroids.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I don't think you can look at the NHL and MLB the same. 10 MLB teams out of 30 makes the "playoffs" now while 16 out of 30 make the NHL playoffs.

To me, I think disregarding the bottom 10 teams in the MLB and taking the top 20 would show that there is a lot more parity in the MLB. Are those 20 teams going to legit be near or around the playoffs in August? I believe so. If you do that as of right now, Milwaukee, Oakland and Philly, all teams with over 30 wins would be out of the parity mix. Philly and Milwaukee are teams that made the playoffs last season. Philly had 102 wins. There is quite a bit of parity in the MLB.

why would you simply disregard 1/3rd of the league???

the amount of teams making the playoffs has zero implications on parity. there are a lot of crappy teams and a lot of really good teams. thats not parity...thats haves and have nots.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
30theking

ive seen the mets all time team cause of the 50th anniversary thing and i pretty much agree with everyone's selection for each position. i wondered what the yankees all time team would look like since im a yankee fan and i gotta say it's pretty simple to me. catcher would be yogi berra and the only one remotely close would be bill dickey. first base would be gehrig by lightyears. second base i would actually go with cano even though most people would still put lazzeri there, i think he's already better than lazzeri and he definetely will have better numbers than him by the time he retires. shortstop its jeter and not even close. third base and i know how much some yankee fans wouldn't like it but its a-rod by a mile. and in the outfield it's a no brainer. ruth, gehrig, dimaggio. ruth in right and i think mantle was a better cf than joe d so i put dimaggio in left. as for best lefty handed starting pitcher it would be whitey ford. and for best right handed pitcher it would be red ruffing. closer would obviously be mariano. and manager i would give the slight edge to joe mccarthy over casey stengel.

Old
06-19-2012, 04:30 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
why would you simply disregard 1/3rd of the league???

the amount of teams making the playoffs has zero implications on parity. there are a lot of crappy teams and a lot of really good teams. thats not parity...thats haves and have nots.
There really is no dominant team in baseball. Before the Yankees were on this 10 win streak, they were 31-25. A few games over .500.

There are some teams that have a very good shot at winning it all, but there are less stacked teams and more new teams coming into the fray. Pittsburgh and Baltimore come to mind of teams that were down for a while, but are up this season. There is a lot more talent spread around the league. There are no easy wins in the league except for maybe a few teams and even then, you don't know with the way pitching is right now.

This is the highest point of parity in the MLB and that makes it more exciting. It's not the NHL or NFL level, but it's much greater than it used to be.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Today has just been non-stop Dickey love by the sports media day.

Old
06-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Today has just been non-stop Dickey love by the sports media day.
Dickey always needs love, bro. Every day.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:04 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Like most other pitchers, I only give Dickey love every 5 days.

Big for Johan to get out of this inning. Would be good to bounce back and have a strong 7~ innings after two subpar starts.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Huge 2R HR by Duda.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Like most other pitchers, I only give Dickey love every 5 days.

Big for Johan to get out of this inning. Would be good to bounce back and have a strong 7~ innings after two subpar starts.
Poor Dickey.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Why is Beato not back with the team yet? Is he really a worse option than half of our current pen?

Old
06-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

On my way home from my first Mets game (and baseball in general). Gotta say, it isn't that bad when watching it live. Anyone wanna give me an idea of what quality of game this was (average, above average etc.)

Old
06-19-2012, 09:16 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
On my way home from my first Mets game (and baseball in general). Gotta say, it isn't that bad when watching it live. Anyone wanna give me an idea of what quality of game this was (average, above average etc.)
Average run of the mill game in a 162 game season.

06-19-2012, 09:57 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Did we draft Valdespin? Talking heads are saying bench Murph and play Jordanny everyday.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:58 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I guess Reese Havens never gets a sniff here?

Old
06-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Really depends on the fan.

It's average for most people, but it's your first so it's always special.

As you begin to go to more games and see some **** go down you'll begin to raise your standards and the games you really remember will start to stand out.

I've been to ALOT of baseball games and I've seen it all: walk-offs, clinchers, playoffs, comebacks, shutouts, slugfests, you name it. So a 5-0 game would be whatever to me, but to you it'll always be awesome cause it's the first one

Old
06-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I haven't been to many baseball games but the one that stands out in particular is a game where Lastings Milledge went God mode. **** was hilarious.