HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins to trade "a defenseman or two"

Old
06-19-2012, 06:44 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Let's just say Jordan Staal was traded for arguments sake (not going to speculate where or what return he would bring). You'd need a 3rd line centre in theory unless you feel someone from within the organization can fill the spot.

From Ottawa:

Zack Smith and Patrick Wiercioch

From Pittsburgh

Z. Michalek

Maybe a pick from Ottawa? I have no idea if I am way off base here. You get some cap space here, Smith is a gritty player who is only 22-23 and Wiercioch, while he had a down year (big injury), is not a bust as of yet.

The connection to Ottawa I'm sure is pretty evident...
have no need for a middling defensive prospect.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Alivesi

vCash: 133
Zybnek Michalek for Malone as a base, we need a RHD who can block shots since I doubt we are resigning Clark, what else would Tampa need to add?

Alivesi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
If we're trading Michalek to Ottawa, we want a defenseman who can help the Pens now.

Maybe a deal involving Cowen?
You'd have to pony up pretty good to get Cowen. Like we're talking Staal category here, where Ottawa would probably include something else too, but that would be the premise of a deal.

We don't have the assets on defense to trade. That's where we are weak already. You're welcome to have Gonchar if you'd like

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:00 PM
dannyj10

I was watching nhl network and they had an interview with Ray. He said he has had numerous calls about dmen and he said he wasn't gonna shy away from trading any of them if it helps the team. Hoping he does move Martin so he can find he's game again.

dannyj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:00 PM
SEALBound

MIN lands Parise...

Setoguchi to PIT for Martin+TK+3rd

Lovejoy to anyone for 3rd/4th.

Orpik + 2nd for Stewart + Cole

Sign Stoll

Stewart-Sid-Setoguchi
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Stoll-Dupuis
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Michalek
Niskanen-Cole
Despres-Engelland
Strait-Bortuzzo

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:04 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Paul Martin

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:05 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I see no reason to trade Engelland, IMO he's the least likely to get traded after Letang. Orpik, Michalek, Martin, Niskanen, Lovejoy, Strait and Bortuzzo could all be in play.
Other than his fighting ability he is the most easily replacable D-man after Lovejoy. They are both bottom pairing D-man who could easily be replaced by Bortuzzo and Strait at 4 or 5 years younger

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:06 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Other than his fighting ability he is the most easily replacable D-man after Lovejoy. They are both bottom pairing D-man who could easily be replaced by Bortuzzo and Strait at 4 or 5 years younger
for the same price and neither of them fight or are particularly physical.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alivesi View Post
Zybnek Michalek for Malone as a base, we need a RHD who can block shots since I doubt we are resigning Clark, what else would Tampa need to add?
I don't think Malone's salary is ideal. If the Pens are unloading one of their current defensemen (ie. Martin, Michalek or Orpik), it's because they've got cheap ELC contract defensemen waiting in the wings, and so they can then use that freed up money elsewhere. Malone's not really the type of player I think they'd want to use that freed up cap space on.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
mgd525

Lovejoy is gone, or better be. Bort,Strait ect are rdy possibly even Morrow. Will get a 4th-6th round pick

Martin- should be gone. I think we will be suprised what he fetches, i'm thinking 2nd round pick and a b to c level prospect.

Letang is going nowhere and i doubt Orpik, Z get traded. Nisky could go either way.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Puckgenius*

Martin and LoveJoy were a terrible pairing

Unload these two pylons and sign Suter.

Suter - Letang pairing would be wow.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
bigd

Quote:
for the same price and neither of them fight or are particularly physical.
Bortuzzo is physical and willing to fight, although not very feared as a fighter. Both have better skill sets and are 4 or 5 years younger. You really don't want your D-man being the fighter on your team unless you're going to play 7 D. They will both be signed relatively cheap too

Old
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Martin and LoveJoy were a terrible pairing
Weird. I don't remember them ever being a pairing. You sure you watched the Pens these past two seasons?

Old
06-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Weird. I don't remember them ever being a pairing. You sure you watched the Pens these past two seasons?
check his post history, you would would wonder of he ever watched any team

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:20 PM
wej20

Quote:
Bortuzzo is physical and willing to fight, although not very feared as a fighter. Both have better skill sets and are 4 or 5 years younger. You really don't want your D-man being the fighter on your team unless you're going to play 7 D. They will both be signed relatively cheap too
I haven't seen Bortuzzo be very physical, I don't see a problem with having your #6 be a fighter as long as he's not solely responsible for the fighting on the team.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Flat Stanley

I think it would be a good idea to have Bortuzzo on the team as a 7th D man next season. He's right handed, big and physical and can play with a mean streak. Him and Engelland can rotate to give each other nights off for rest or if one is a little banged up, the other can step in.

Strait was good for the Pens, and maybe if they put him in a package they could get a decent return.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

Quote:
I haven't seen Bortuzzo be very physical, I don't see a problem with having your #6 be a fighter as long as he's not solely responsible for the fighting on the team.
Yeah, it's not like Engelland's only job is to fight. He's turned into a very dependable, physical bottom pairing guy -- who also happens to be able to throw down with the best of 'em.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:25 PM
dannyj10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
MIN lands Parise...

Sign Stoll

Stewart-Sid-Setoguchi
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Stoll-Dupuis
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Michalek
Niskanen-Cole
Despres-Engelland
Strait-Bortuzzo
Where's Staal?

dannyj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:27 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
MIN lands Parise...

Sign Stoll

Stewart-Sid-Setoguchi
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Stoll-Dupuis
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Michalek
Niskanen-Cole
Despres-Engelland
Strait-Bortuzzo
Did you just give Staal away to a stranger with a van and sweets? Or did he actually return something also?

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:32 PM
bigd

Quote:
I guess you haven't watched much of Bortuzzo. It's never a good idea having your D-man in the box for a 5 minute fighting major. It taxes the other five D-men. Therefore I think Engellands fighting ability is really a none issue. Take away his fighting ability and he's no better than any of the other 8 waiver eligable D-men. I'm sure the only Pens D-man that's not available is Letang. I'm willing to bet everyone else is available.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Deryk Engelland is the perfect bottom pairing defenseman and is one of a couple Penguins defenders that actually played well last season...throw in the fact he makes a shade over the league minimum and the fact he brings a fairly unique skill set in the league...you're not going to get a trade offer that's going to make trading him worthwhile and he's not good enough for another team to overpay for. I don't see anyway Engelland is anything but a Penguin next season.

Letang is the only other one I'd say that about. I doubt Orpik will be dealt, but I wouldn't doubt it. Lovejoy is gone, period, be it via trade, waivers, or just outright demotion to WBS. He's been a good #6/7 before so he'll attract some interest given his non-existent cap hit, but it's not going to take more than a 4 or 5th rounder to land him. Martin I'm expecting to be gone, and I expect the return will be much better than what the HFHoarde is expecting (not that I expect a great return, but the guy has value to any team with cap space).

I'm expecting three guys to be moved out, one guy brought in, and the youngsters (Bortuzzo, Strait, Despres) to fill in the depth holes.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:36 PM
wej20

Quote:
I guess you haven't watched much of Bortuzzo. It's never a good idea having your D-man in the box for a 5 minute fighting major. It taxes the other five D-men. Therefore I think Engellands fighting ability is really a none issue. Take away his fighting ability and he's no better than any of the other 8 waiver eligable D-men. I'm sure the only Pens D-man that's not available is Letang. I'm willing to bet everyone else is available.
When I've watched him he hasn't been that physical, it's not ideal to have your dman in the box for 5 but it's useful skill when needed.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:36 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Yeah, it's not like Engelland's only job is to fight. He's turned into a very dependable, physical bottom pairing guy -- who also happens to be able to throw down with the best of 'em.
Yes but you don't keep a 29 year old bottom pairing D-man if you have replacements that are 23 and 24 years old and ready to step in and play. That's just not good asset management. If they lose Strait or Bortuzzo to waivers just to hold onto Engelland i'll be pi$$ed.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:44 PM
bigd

Quote:
When I've watched him he hasn't been that physical, it's not ideal to have your dman in the box for 5 but it's useful skill when needed.
He's very physical down in WBS and i'm sure with more NHL games under his belt he will be a physical force on the big club too. He's only 23 years old and i'm sure they will sign him for league minimum. Strait will probably sign a one way for league minimum also. I would just hate to see them trade away two promising young D-men to hold onto a 29 year old bottom D-man with not much upside left.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Steve Holt
Fire Bylsma

Just scanning this thread and seeing the opinion of each defenseman.

Orpik is still valuable in some peoples eyes. Yet you can't even give Martin away. However, they are coming off brutal seasons. Shows what reputation can do.

Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote