HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Traditional Media Thread (Print and Broadcast Tomfoolery)

Old
06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
The Traditional Media Thread (Print and Broadcast Tomfoolery)

"In a culture like ours, long accustomed to splitting and dividing all things as a means of control, it is sometimes a bit of a shock to be reminded that, in operational and practical fact, the medium is the message. This is merely to say that the personal and social consequences of any medium - that is, of any extension of ourselves - result from the new scale that is introduced into our affairs by each extension of ourselves, or by any new technology." Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media

Personality.................
Organization
Twitter
Shelly AndersonPittsburgh Post-Gazette@pgshelly
Mike ColliganThe Hockey Writers@MikeColligan
Ron CookPittsburgh Post-Gazette 
Sean ConboyPittsburgh Magazine@SeanCon66
Bob GrovePens Radio Network@PensRadioNet
Dejan KovacevicPittsburgh Tribune-Review@Dejan_Kovacevic
Mark Madden WXDX-FM (105.9)@MarkMaddenX
Dave MolinariPittsburgh Post-Gazette@MolinariPG
Seth RorabaughPittsburgh Post-Gazette@emptynetters
Rob Rossi[Inappropriate Link Removed]BANNED
Joe StarkeyPittsburgh Tribune-Review@JoeStarkey1
Josh YohePittsburgh Tribune-Review@JoshYohe_Trib

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-12-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Reporting Misconduct Against Rossi
Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

figured we needed a thread to collect the justified outrage that accompanies every ridiculous Cook article or Madden pronouncement.

Old
06-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
OK by me if you guys want to collect quotes here and have at it, but in that case I am going to lock any individual threads about Rossi tweets or other ridiculous reporter-turned-rumor-hoor-for-clicks tweets. Just to show you folks I mean b'ness I have coordinated a lethal ban of Rossi links with the approval of the NHL (see post 1).

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Wanna be the first to say in here that Molinari is awesome. I've had a number of twitter conversations with the guy, and seems more than happy to respond to us ordinary folk.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:12 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Gotta love Shelly Anderson, always popping in with a tweet about something that everybody else had 48 hours earlier. She is really bad.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

What's she look like?

Old
06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Yeah, come on froods. What she look like?

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Shady Machine

Cook and Rossi are the worst. Yohe sounds like a moron. If I had to like one, it would be Molinari.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:57 PM
wej20

What about Michelle "The Crack" Crechiolo?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:17 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Gotta love Shelly Anderson, always popping in with a tweet about something that everybody else had 48 hours earlier. She is really bad.
Eh. I'd rather have correct information last than wrong information first. pgshelly's mostly the former to rossi's latter.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Worst female nickname ever.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Worst female nickname ever.
Sounds like an STD.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Yeah, come on froods. What she look like?
Quote:
What's she look like?
I can't even put that into words.

Last edited by froods: 06-13-2012 at 09:48 PM.
froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Look for Niskanen and Pens to agree on multi-year deal soon. There is mutual desire to get this done. Initial offer just starting point.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Pens1566

Can't we allow Rossi just for the humor?

<-- Sticking up for fellow WVU alum

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:04 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Just awful. Even by the low standards we've set for sports journalists around here.

She said the Penguins pick 23rd in an article about the draft (you know... being held in Pittsburgh?) the other day. It might sound like quibbling but these people get paid good money for a job tons of people would love to have.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:45 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Watching the Cochran Sports Showdown and it looks like Rossi has been on the cocaine diet. He's lost a lot of weight and cut his hair in an apparent attempt to appear credible.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
#Penguins Malkin on Shero dousing Staal trade talks: I was a little nervous because Jordan Staal is a good player. Sidney Crosby, too. cont.

More Malkin: It's tough to sign both. I hope we sign both. If we can sign both, it's a good chance to win again. Both are great guys. cont.

More Malkin: I hope they sign me, too. I want to stay in Pittsburgh. I like #Penguins hockey, Penguins organization and fans.

#Penguins Malkin on his outlook: "I want to play better 10 more years. I donít want to stay on the same level. I want to go up."

hard hitting journalism. she asks the tough questions and goes for the story behind the story.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
#Penguins Malkin on Shero dousing Staal trade talks: I was a little nervous because Jordan Staal is a good player. Sidney Crosby, too. cont.

More Malkin: It's tough to sign both. I hope we sign both. If we can sign both, it's a good chance to win again. Both are great guys. cont.

More Malkin: I hope they sign me, too. I want to stay in Pittsburgh. I like #Penguins hockey, Penguins organization and fans.

#Penguins Malkin on his outlook: "I want to play better 10 more years. I donít want to stay on the same level. I want to go up."

hard hitting journalism. she asks the tough questions and goes for the story behind the story.
Bah. Tell her to shut up and let Geno talk. WFM.

I have no faith whatever in Pittsburgh journalists at this point. Or Rossi, who is not a journalist.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:00 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Can't we allow Rossi just for the humor?

<-- Sticking up for fellow WVU alum
There's a joke about rocks and Pitt buses in there somewhere

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Add Kovacevik to the list of jackass / moron / fact-inventing reporters.

Had a piece I won't even link to talking about Malkin's MVP stuff and then at the end makes up a dramatic bit about "some fans want to trade" him and how crazy it is. Naturally he provides not one example of this group who wants to trade Malkin (because the group doesn't exist).

FU! Not one serious fan in this town wants Malkin traded. Not one. This is typical drum-up-drama to get clicks and attention for you and the Trib (joke that it is). You're a ****ing disgrace, Kovacevik. You and Rossi both should get a life. You sure as hell don't know how to be a journalist.

Folks, stuff like this is why you should NEVER post links to these *******s' stories (even if you're hammering on them), because that's what they WANT. They want people to go look. They're attention hoors / journalists-turned-trolls. So do the world a favor everyone: do NOT post links to idiotic stories. Just describe them and say where they are if you want. But don't do anything to justify editors thinking these morons are producing good work, on account of "look at all the clicks; people love these guys!" That's the problem with clicks: they're value neutral and observers on the other side will always assume them to be positive.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Add Kovacevik to the list of jackass / moron / fact-inventing reporters.

Had a piece I won't even link to talking about Malkin's MVP stuff and then at the end makes up a dramatic bit about "some fans want to trade" him and how crazy it is. Naturally he provides not one example of this group who wants to trade Malkin (because the group doesn't exist).

FU! Not one serious fan in this town wants Malkin traded. Not one. This is typical drum-up-drama to get clicks and attention for you and the Trib (joke that it is). You're a ****ing disgrace, Kovacevik. You and Rossi both should get a life. You sure as hell don't know how to be a journalist.

Folks, stuff like this is why you should NEVER post links to these *******s' stories (even if you're hammering on them), because that's what they WANT. They want people to go look. They're attention hoors / journalists-turned-trolls. So do the world a favor everyone: do NOT post links to idiotic stories. Just describe them and say where they are if you want. But don't do anything to justify editors thinking these morons are producing good work, on account of "look at all the clicks; people love these guys!" That's the problem with clicks: they're value neutral and observers on the other side will always assume them to be positive.
I don't disagree with most of this but the fact is there are many idiotic fans in the 'burgh and every other city for that matter that have asinine opinions like this. I have overheard people at coffee shops, etc talking about the Pens and suggesting trading Malkin. Hell, I was in a friend's wedding 2 weeks ago (who I hadn't seen in a while but is a big Pens fan) and he came up to me and asked if I thought we should trade Staal. We discussed it a bit and he goes "honestly I think we should trade Crosby because of his concussion history bla bla".

Point being, fans can be irrational and I'm sure Kovacevik is just spewing out what he hears. Even fellow reporter Cooke thinks we should trade Malkin. There are idiots everywhere. I'm not sure what "group" of fans you expect him to quote or link that wants to trade Malkin. It's not like groups of fans have official organizations. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

edit: I should mention that it depends what you mean by "serious fan". If you mean someone that loves the Penguins, watches all of their games, etc then I would say yes there are some that want Malkin traded. If you add in the qualification that said fan really knows the game of hockey either through playing, coaching, or just general study then it's less likely (or so I hope).

Old
06-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Burgs

Kovacevic used to be a good Pens beat writer some 10 years ago until one summer he just switched to cover the Pirates instead, he's never been the same. The first half of his column is okay, but that the heck was he thinking throwing in that hissy fit about "some Penguins fans" wanting to trade Geno? He even made the headline about that.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I don't disagree with most of this but the fact is there are many idiotic fans in the 'burgh and every other city...

Point being, fans can be irrational and I'm sure Kovacevik is just spewing out what he hears. .
See this is not an excuse in any way, shape or form (not that you're making one necessarily). We all know the reason WHY he did not quote anyone or any facts. Because if he HAD, he would lose his job TOMORROW for basing half his story and points around the quoting of some schmuck in a coffee shop. Or on an internet board.

The ONLY way that angle to that story ending makes ANY sense as a journalistic piece, is if Pierre McGuire or one of these TSN / CBC guys is saying "I think Malkin could be traded and the Pens ought o consider it". THEN he's got a legitimate angle and story point to make, that McGuire is off his rocker and should be retired, yadda yadda. But as it is, he has basically invented half a story and taken a position of phony outrage (or whatever you want to call it) in order to complete the "drama angle".

No one in their right mind, least of all ANYONE worth quoting in the hockey world, thinks Geno should be traded. And on THAT basis alone, this dumbass "writer" and his half-assed editors, should've considered that angle to their MVP story one for the waste basket / delete bin. I swear to God, I wish I could just take over as the chief sports editor for that paper; I wish I had the connections. I could turn that POS around in 3 months flat with new writers (or old writers who suddenly felt the calling of being a real journalist for fear of losing their job), better angles, more facts, and less social-media-driven BS.

Social media should never, ever be a driver... it should always be a complimentary piece to promotions. A side venue, secondary to almost everything else that happens in the newsroom.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-20-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old
06-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
See this is not an excuse in any way, shape or form (not that you're making one necessarily). We all know the reason WHY he did not quote anyone or any facts. Because if he HAD, he would lose his job TOMORROW for basing half his story and points around the quoting of some schmuck in a coffee shop. Or on an internet board.

The ONLY way that angle to that story ending makes ANY sense as a journalistic piece, is if Pierre McGuire or one of these TSN / CBC guys is saying "I think Malkin could be traded and the Pens ought o consider it". THEN he's got a legitimate angle and story point to make, that McGuire is off his rocker and should be retired, yadda yadda. But as it is, he has basically invented half a story and taken a position of phony outrage (or whatever you want to call it) in order to complete the "drama angle".

No one in their right mind, least of all ANYONE worth quoting in the hockey world, thinks Geno should be traded. And on THAT basis alone, this dumbass "writer" and his half-assed editors, should've considered that angle to their MVP story one for the waste basket / delete bin. I swear to God, I wish I could just take over as the chief sports editor for that paper; I wish I had the connections. I could turn that POS around in 3 months flat with new writers (or old writers who suddenly felt the calling of being a real journalist for fear of losing their job), better angles, more facts, and less social-media-driven BS.

Social media should never, ever be a driver... it should always be a complimentary piece to promotions. A side venue, secondary to almost everything else that happens in the newsroom.
I agree. I was simply commenting on your assertion that no real fans want to trade Geno. The fact that a major piece of the article was calling out those idiotic fans is a waste of all of our reading time.