HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Traditional Media Thread (Print and Broadcast Tomfoolery)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
  #1
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
The Traditional Media Thread (Print and Broadcast Tomfoolery)

"In a culture like ours, long accustomed to splitting and dividing all things as a means of control, it is sometimes a bit of a shock to be reminded that, in operational and practical fact, the medium is the message. This is merely to say that the personal and social consequences of any medium - that is, of any extension of ourselves - result from the new scale that is introduced into our affairs by each extension of ourselves, or by any new technology." Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media

Personality.................
Organization
Twitter
Shelly AndersonPittsburgh Post-Gazette@pgshelly
Mike ColliganThe Hockey Writers@MikeColligan
Ron CookPittsburgh Post-Gazette 
Sean ConboyPittsburgh Magazine@SeanCon66
Bob GrovePens Radio Network@PensRadioNet
Dejan KovacevicPittsburgh Tribune-Review@Dejan_Kovacevic
Mark Madden WXDX-FM (105.9)@MarkMaddenX
Dave MolinariPittsburgh Post-Gazette@MolinariPG
Seth RorabaughPittsburgh Post-Gazette@emptynetters
Rob Rossi[Inappropriate Link Removed]BANNED
Joe StarkeyPittsburgh Tribune-Review@JoeStarkey1
Josh YohePittsburgh Tribune-Review@JoshYohe_Trib



Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-12-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Reporting Misconduct Against Rossi
Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:46 PM
  #2
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
figured we needed a thread to collect the justified outrage that accompanies every ridiculous Cook article or Madden pronouncement.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:50 PM
  #3
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
OK by me if you guys want to collect quotes here and have at it, but in that case I am going to lock any individual threads about Rossi tweets or other ridiculous reporter-turned-rumor-hoor-for-clicks tweets. Just to show you folks I mean b'ness I have coordinated a lethal ban of Rossi links with the approval of the NHL (see post 1).

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
  #4
Marns
@SH_Hockey
 
Marns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,166
vCash: 500
Wanna be the first to say in here that Molinari is awesome. I've had a number of twitter conversations with the guy, and seems more than happy to respond to us ordinary folk.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:12 PM
  #5
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!
 
froods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,561
vCash: 500
Gotta love Shelly Anderson, always popping in with a tweet about something that everybody else had 48 hours earlier. She is really bad.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:44 PM
  #6
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
What's she look like?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
  #7
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,276
vCash: 500
Yeah, come on froods. What she look like?

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:51 PM
  #8
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,092
vCash: 500
Cook and Rossi are the worst. Yohe sounds like a moron. If I had to like one, it would be Molinari.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:57 PM
  #9
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,298
vCash: 500
What about Michelle "The Crack" Crechiolo?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 04:17 PM
  #10
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Gotta love Shelly Anderson, always popping in with a tweet about something that everybody else had 48 hours earlier. She is really bad.
Eh. I'd rather have correct information last than wrong information first. pgshelly's mostly the former to rossi's latter.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:53 PM
  #11
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
What about Michelle "The Crack" Crechiolo?
Worst female nickname ever.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
  #12
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Worst female nickname ever.
Sounds like an STD.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
  #13
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!
 
froods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Yeah, come on froods. What she look like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
What's she look like?
I can't even put that into words.



Last edited by froods: 06-13-2012 at 09:48 PM.
froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:42 PM
  #14
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Look for Niskanen and Pens to agree on multi-year deal soon. There is mutual desire to get this done. Initial offer just starting point.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
  #15
Pens1566
Registered User
 
Pens1566's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WV
Country: United States
Posts: 11,613
vCash: 500
Can't we allow Rossi just for the humor?

<-- Sticking up for fellow WVU alum

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:04 PM
  #16
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
What about Michelle "The Crack" Crechiolo?
Just awful. Even by the low standards we've set for sports journalists around here.

She said the Penguins pick 23rd in an article about the draft (you know... being held in Pittsburgh?) the other day. It might sound like quibbling but these people get paid good money for a job tons of people would love to have.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:45 PM
  #17
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal
 
SCUDeriMISSILE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,134
vCash: 500
Watching the Cochran Sports Showdown and it looks like Rossi has been on the cocaine diet. He's lost a lot of weight and cut his hair in an apparent attempt to appear credible.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:04 PM
  #18
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
#Penguins Malkin on Shero dousing Staal trade talks: I was a little nervous because Jordan Staal is a good player. Sidney Crosby, too. cont.

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
More Malkin: It's tough to sign both. I hope we sign both. If we can sign both, it's a good chance to win again. Both are great guys. cont.

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
More Malkin: I hope they sign me, too. I want to stay in Pittsburgh. I like #Penguins hockey, Penguins organization and fans.

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
#Penguins Malkin on his outlook: "I want to play better 10 more years. I donít want to stay on the same level. I want to go up."

hard hitting journalism. she asks the tough questions and goes for the story behind the story.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:54 PM
  #19
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
#Penguins Malkin on Shero dousing Staal trade talks: I was a little nervous because Jordan Staal is a good player. Sidney Crosby, too. cont.

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
More Malkin: It's tough to sign both. I hope we sign both. If we can sign both, it's a good chance to win again. Both are great guys. cont.

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
More Malkin: I hope they sign me, too. I want to stay in Pittsburgh. I like #Penguins hockey, Penguins organization and fans.

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
#Penguins Malkin on his outlook: "I want to play better 10 more years. I donít want to stay on the same level. I want to go up."

hard hitting journalism. she asks the tough questions and goes for the story behind the story.
Bah. Tell her to shut up and let Geno talk. WFM.

I have no faith whatever in Pittsburgh journalists at this point. Or Rossi, who is not a journalist.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:00 AM
  #20
DegenX
#FireMorehouse
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Can't we allow Rossi just for the humor?

<-- Sticking up for fellow WVU alum
There's a joke about rocks and Pitt buses in there somewhere

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:19 AM
  #21
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
Add Kovacevik to the list of jackass / moron / fact-inventing reporters.

Had a piece I won't even link to talking about Malkin's MVP stuff and then at the end makes up a dramatic bit about "some fans want to trade" him and how crazy it is. Naturally he provides not one example of this group who wants to trade Malkin (because the group doesn't exist).

FU! Not one serious fan in this town wants Malkin traded. Not one. This is typical drum-up-drama to get clicks and attention for you and the Trib (joke that it is). You're a ****ing disgrace, Kovacevik. You and Rossi both should get a life. You sure as hell don't know how to be a journalist.



Folks, stuff like this is why you should NEVER post links to these *******s' stories (even if you're hammering on them), because that's what they WANT. They want people to go look. They're attention hoors / journalists-turned-trolls. So do the world a favor everyone: do NOT post links to idiotic stories. Just describe them and say where they are if you want. But don't do anything to justify editors thinking these morons are producing good work, on account of "look at all the clicks; people love these guys!" That's the problem with clicks: they're value neutral and observers on the other side will always assume them to be positive.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:30 AM
  #22
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Add Kovacevik to the list of jackass / moron / fact-inventing reporters.

Had a piece I won't even link to talking about Malkin's MVP stuff and then at the end makes up a dramatic bit about "some fans want to trade" him and how crazy it is. Naturally he provides not one example of this group who wants to trade Malkin (because the group doesn't exist).

FU! Not one serious fan in this town wants Malkin traded. Not one. This is typical drum-up-drama to get clicks and attention for you and the Trib (joke that it is). You're a ****ing disgrace, Kovacevik. You and Rossi both should get a life. You sure as hell don't know how to be a journalist.



Folks, stuff like this is why you should NEVER post links to these *******s' stories (even if you're hammering on them), because that's what they WANT. They want people to go look. They're attention hoors / journalists-turned-trolls. So do the world a favor everyone: do NOT post links to idiotic stories. Just describe them and say where they are if you want. But don't do anything to justify editors thinking these morons are producing good work, on account of "look at all the clicks; people love these guys!" That's the problem with clicks: they're value neutral and observers on the other side will always assume them to be positive.
I don't disagree with most of this but the fact is there are many idiotic fans in the 'burgh and every other city for that matter that have asinine opinions like this. I have overheard people at coffee shops, etc talking about the Pens and suggesting trading Malkin. Hell, I was in a friend's wedding 2 weeks ago (who I hadn't seen in a while but is a big Pens fan) and he came up to me and asked if I thought we should trade Staal. We discussed it a bit and he goes "honestly I think we should trade Crosby because of his concussion history bla bla".

Point being, fans can be irrational and I'm sure Kovacevik is just spewing out what he hears. Even fellow reporter Cooke thinks we should trade Malkin. There are idiots everywhere. I'm not sure what "group" of fans you expect him to quote or link that wants to trade Malkin. It's not like groups of fans have official organizations. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

edit: I should mention that it depends what you mean by "serious fan". If you mean someone that loves the Penguins, watches all of their games, etc then I would say yes there are some that want Malkin traded. If you add in the qualification that said fan really knows the game of hockey either through playing, coaching, or just general study then it's less likely (or so I hope).

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:36 AM
  #23
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Kovacevic used to be a good Pens beat writer some 10 years ago until one summer he just switched to cover the Pirates instead, he's never been the same. The first half of his column is okay, but that the heck was he thinking throwing in that hissy fit about "some Penguins fans" wanting to trade Geno? He even made the headline about that.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
  #24
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I don't disagree with most of this but the fact is there are many idiotic fans in the 'burgh and every other city...

Point being, fans can be irrational and I'm sure Kovacevik is just spewing out what he hears. .
See this is not an excuse in any way, shape or form (not that you're making one necessarily). We all know the reason WHY he did not quote anyone or any facts. Because if he HAD, he would lose his job TOMORROW for basing half his story and points around the quoting of some schmuck in a coffee shop. Or on an internet board.

The ONLY way that angle to that story ending makes ANY sense as a journalistic piece, is if Pierre McGuire or one of these TSN / CBC guys is saying "I think Malkin could be traded and the Pens ought o consider it". THEN he's got a legitimate angle and story point to make, that McGuire is off his rocker and should be retired, yadda yadda. But as it is, he has basically invented half a story and taken a position of phony outrage (or whatever you want to call it) in order to complete the "drama angle".

No one in their right mind, least of all ANYONE worth quoting in the hockey world, thinks Geno should be traded. And on THAT basis alone, this dumbass "writer" and his half-assed editors, should've considered that angle to their MVP story one for the waste basket / delete bin. I swear to God, I wish I could just take over as the chief sports editor for that paper; I wish I had the connections. I could turn that POS around in 3 months flat with new writers (or old writers who suddenly felt the calling of being a real journalist for fear of losing their job), better angles, more facts, and less social-media-driven BS.

Social media should never, ever be a driver... it should always be a complimentary piece to promotions. A side venue, secondary to almost everything else that happens in the newsroom.


Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-20-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:37 PM
  #25
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
See this is not an excuse in any way, shape or form (not that you're making one necessarily). We all know the reason WHY he did not quote anyone or any facts. Because if he HAD, he would lose his job TOMORROW for basing half his story and points around the quoting of some schmuck in a coffee shop. Or on an internet board.

The ONLY way that angle to that story ending makes ANY sense as a journalistic piece, is if Pierre McGuire or one of these TSN / CBC guys is saying "I think Malkin could be traded and the Pens ought o consider it". THEN he's got a legitimate angle and story point to make, that McGuire is off his rocker and should be retired, yadda yadda. But as it is, he has basically invented half a story and taken a position of phony outrage (or whatever you want to call it) in order to complete the "drama angle".

No one in their right mind, least of all ANYONE worth quoting in the hockey world, thinks Geno should be traded. And on THAT basis alone, this dumbass "writer" and his half-assed editors, should've considered that angle to their MVP story one for the waste basket / delete bin. I swear to God, I wish I could just take over as the chief sports editor for that paper; I wish I had the connections. I could turn that POS around in 3 months flat with new writers (or old writers who suddenly felt the calling of being a real journalist for fear of losing their job), better angles, more facts, and less social-media-driven BS.

Social media should never, ever be a driver... it should always be a complimentary piece to promotions. A side venue, secondary to almost everything else that happens in the newsroom.
I agree. I was simply commenting on your assertion that no real fans want to trade Geno. The fact that a major piece of the article was calling out those idiotic fans is a waste of all of our reading time.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.