HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Rangers 2012 draft preview

Old
06-19-2012, 12:45 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
New York Rangers 2012 draft preview

Of the 28 players currently listed on the New York Rangers' roster, 10 are former Blueshirts' draft selections, and two (Ryan McDonagh and Tim Erixon) were obtained by the team through trade prior to the beginning their professional careers. One additional player, Dan Girardi, was signed as a free agent after a year of playing with the Rangers' AHL affiliate. Thirteen of the 28 players on New York's current roster are therefore homegrown, making the NHL Draft the primary source of NHL players for the team.

Top 10 Prospects:

1. Chris Kreider, LW
2. Tim Erixon, D
3.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
NYR Viper

Thanks for the write-up Leslie! Just a couple of questions:

Who have the Rangers soured on in their prospect pool? Last year it was Grachev and Kundratek. Anyone new?

Also, you mention a UFA as the top-line LW, who have you heard mentioned? Anyone interesting?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

Who have the Rangers soured on in their prospect pool? Last year it was Grachev and Kundratek. Anyone new?

Also, you mention a UFA as the top-line LW, who have you heard mentioned? Anyone interesting?
Was wondering the exact same thing. Good article.

06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
This needs more love.

Great article, very informative. Wonder who the Rangers will add up front.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:18 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Was wondering the exact same thing. Good article.
Ryan Bourque seems an obvious candidate. Shame, I had always been down on him due to his size - and then he absolutely blew me away in TC. I was ready to eat crow... only to see him fail miserably (primarily due to his size) when he moved to HFD.

(Thanks as always for the great work, Leslie!)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:39 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Thank you Leslie

as a long time fan of the club it is very pleasing and encouraging to see how many of the teams players are young and developing through the Rangers program.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:06 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Five bucks says we trade our 1st round pick this year.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:28 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Great article as always! Thank you.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Five bucks says we trade our 1st round pick this year.
Wouldn't shock me at all of that happened.

Why does it seem Erixson expectaions have fallen off. I could see the Rangers packaging him & a first rounder if that's the case. I would hate to give up on him but if this is the thinking of management than so be it.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:29 AM
Zuuuuc

Although the article touches on it, is it wrong of me to think that the Rangers should take Subban if he were to fall to 28?
I know Hank is Hank, but goalies usually take a good 4-6 years to develop into starter material, and by then Hank will be in his late 30s (hopefully with a few cups to his name)

Zuuuuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:05 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb1985 View Post
Although the article touches on it, is it wrong of me to think that the Rangers should take Subban if he were to fall to 28?
I know Hank is Hank, but goalies usually take a good 4-6 years to develop into starter material, and by then Hank will be in his late 30s (hopefully with a few cups to his name)
No. I actually like the idea. BPA.
If nobody we have our eye on falls, I don't think it would be a horrible pick. The Devil fans would be up in arms.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:05 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Not sure I take a goalie at 28 this year. Hank is still very young as goalies go.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Can't rationalize taking a goalie in the first round. You can always find a goalie in later rounds. And since goalies have such little value on the trade market I don't see using the pick on a goalie to be a good use of the pick.

Rather trade down.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

I actually think the team is a little disappointed in Erixon's development. The Rangers were hoping that he would be ready at some time during the past season, but he needs more upper body strength. Although, this does not mean that Erixon will never develop into what the Rangers are/were looking for, it does make him more likely to be trade bait than he was last summer.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
I actually think the team is a little disappointed in Erixon's development. The Rangers were hoping that he would be ready at some time during the past season, but he needs more upper body strength. Although, this does not mean that Erixon will never develop into what the Rangers are/were looking for, it does make him more likely to be trade bait than he was last summer.
It's not just upper body strength, when are people going to realize this? It has to do with persona not physical trait with Erixon. I fear for this kid's development, and think his insistence on Rangers will ruin his career. Hope not.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Can't rationalize taking a goalie in the first round. You can always find a goalie in later rounds. And since goalies have such little value on the trade market I don't see using the pick on a goalie to be a good use of the pick.

Rather trade down.
This is not true. The last useful netminder came from the 2000 draft. We know who that is. The next one who showed promise, but lost his career to injury was in 2001 with Dan Blackburn. The pick was a first round pick.

Our strategy 2009, 2007, 2003, and 1999 was exactly what you describe as 'always finding one in the later rounds'. We didn't. We didn't then; those odds are just as likely to be such in the future as well.

We failed with Montoya. But as Chief points out, a first round netminder has good data to support the selection over the years. Especially in a year with a draft like this. Subban or Vasilevski will almost surely be the best hockey athlete on board at 28.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
This is not true. The last useful netminder came from the 2000 draft. We know who that is. The next one who showed promise, but lost his career to injury was in 2001 with Dan Blackburn. The pick was a first round pick.

Our strategy 2009, 2007, 2003, and 1999 was exactly what you describe as 'always finding one in the later rounds'. We didn't. We didn't then; those odds are just as likely to be such in the future as well.

We failed with Montoya. But as Chief points out, a first round netminder has good data to support the selection over the years. Especially in a year with a draft like this. Subban or Vasilevski will almost surely be the best hockey athlete on board at 28.

Then trade down.

No reason to use a first round pick on a goalie.

The Blackburn pick came when nobody could possible imagine that Hank would become what he is. The Montoya pick came because there was obviously internal concern about Montoya.

06-20-2012, 06:03 PM
bernmeister

Leslie, thank you for a great and informative piece.

Surprised Rangers pass up Henrik Samuelsson (who many love) and Nicolas Kerdiles (who Coldshot really likes, if I'm remembering correctly) for a G.

I'm hoping for Tanner Pearson, myself...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:19 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Then trade down.

The Blackburn pick came when nobody could possible imagine that Hank would become what he is. The Montoya pick came because there was obviously internal concern about Montoya.
Really hoping for this.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Pizza

thanks for the article Leslie. I think the Rangers will give Erixon at least one more season unless something very unusual happens.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Great article. I really can not see the Rangers taking a goalie in the first round. They are more than likely going to either trade down or use the pick to acquire some top line talent. This draft is a weak one overall outside of the first 10-15 picks imo

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:55 AM
lundy

I'd love Subban at 28 if he's there. Hank will be 36 by the time Subban is ready to go most likely, and at that point, either Hank is on the decline and retires, or you have a Schneider/Rask type situation with Subban where you can trade him or have him platoon with Hank.

I like that notion.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:22 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
thanks for the article Leslie. I think the Rangers will give Erixon at least one more season unless something very unusual happens.
Seems like he's not brain dead and has most of the tools and he's not 'soft' just not rock hard for a bruising game; we want most players to have most options, and toughness in D useful if not normally essential.

If he hits the weights carefully and doesn't restrict his skating, he'll be here soon enough.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:21 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
I'd love Subban at 28 if he's there. Hank will be 36 by the time Subban is ready to go most likely, and at that point, either Hank is on the decline and retires, or you have a Schneider/Rask type situation with Subban where you can trade him or have him platoon with Hank.

I like that notion.
I would hate to take anyone in the 1st round and have it take them 6 years to be ready for NHL action.

I don't care what position they play.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Then trade down.

Seems like an odd reason.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote