HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Wrestling
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Watch any classic wrestling (as in non-current) lately?

Old
06-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Watch any classic wrestling (as in non-current) lately?

We can use the term "classic" pretty loosely, as we can really consider anything non current as "classic" for this thread. So if you were watching a PPV from 2 years ago, go ahead and post it with your thoughts.

I've been watching the buildup to WCW's Great American Bash 1995 recently, and then watched the PPV. Not the greatest PPV, but I love me some classic WCW. The event featured a pretty good opener - Brian Pillman vs Alex Wright - but the rest of the card was largely unforgettable. This was also the PPV that featured Arn Anderson's most forgettable and embarrassing moment(he actually said it himself)...losing the Television title to the Renegade. Yes, the Ultimate Warrior rip off who fans didn't give two craps about.

Also, earlier I popped in the December 13th, 1991 episode of WWF Superstars. Featured squash matches involving Jake Roberts (when he was a fantastic heel), Virgil, The Natural Disasters, the Bushwackers, "El Matador" Tito Santana, and the Beverly Brothers. In the event center, we had some buildup to the 1992 Royal Rumble PPV with interviews by The Berzerker, El Matador, The Warlord, The Undertaker, and Ric Flair amongst others.

So come on guys, I can't be the only "classic" watcher on here, can I?

06-19-2012, 09:44 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I watched SummerSlam 93 to see why the hell I got so addicted to wrestling. Man was it bad! I will get the WWE channel when it comes out and I just know i'll be up at midnight watching old old old shows.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I watched SummerSlam 93 to see why the hell I got so addicted to wrestling. Man was it bad! I will get the WWE channel when it comes out and I just know i'll be up at midnight watching old old old shows.
Basically the end of the ridiculously hyped up American hero gimmick with Lex Luger and the "Lex Express."

All of that to end up with a lame count out victory over Yoko.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:55 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Basically the end of the ridiculously hyped up American hero gimmick with Lex Luger and the "Lex Express."

All of that to end up with a lame count out victory over Yoko.
Luger getting off the helicopter at the Intrepid and giving an awful body slam to Yokozuna was hilariously awful, but as a kid I loved it.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Been watching through this Blu Ray last couple of days, I guess 2012 means this stuff is long enough ago to be "classic" maybe?

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Habsfan18

Speaking of classic, this tune still gives me goosebumps and gives me wild memories.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Watched a couple matches from the recent Wrestlemania DVD. That ladder match w/ Hbk and Razor got me hooked all those years ago. Very fun match.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Ozz

Lots of old, random WWF matches from the '80s and early '90s. Lots of tag matches as I was looking up Demolition and the Hart Foundation, my two all-time faves, and kept branching off from the related videos in the sidebar.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:45 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Where do you guys watch classic matches? on youtube?

BrickAHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:47 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
I was watching Edge/Mysterio vs. Benoit/Angle not too long ago. Arguably the best tag team match I've ever seen.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:00 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Been watching through this Blu Ray last couple of days, I guess 2012 means this stuff is long enough ago to be "classic" maybe?

I've been trying to find this online. Let me know what you think of the DVD.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:09 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Yea, they have some great stuff. Just search for a wrestler and matches will pop up, or you can search for an old PPV, and usually people have posted whole events in 15 minute parts.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
In my case, I have a very large collection that I believe would make many people here jealous . I have spent a very large amount of cash over the years working on my collection buying from sellers and traders from around the web. I haven't downloaded anything if that's what anyone is wondering. Many sellers offer DVDs of old VHS recordings from years back. Recorded shows and stuff. It is ridiculously cool watching old footage and reliving classic moments and memories

Old
06-19-2012, 11:37 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Quote:
In my case, I have a very large collection that I believe would make many people here jealous . I have spent a very large amount of cash over the years working on my collection buying from sellers and traders from around the web. I haven't downloaded anything if that's what anyone is wondering. Many sellers offer DVDs of old VHS recordings from years back. Recorded shows and stuff. It is ridiculously cool watching old footage and reliving classic moments and memories
Out of all the shows, dvds, PPVs, etc.... what are you top 5-10 shows that you put in all the time.

I will be very honest, I watch WM17 over and over and over again. I cannot get enough of that show. I also watch WM 10 a lot but go to the matches I want to see.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Ozz

Quote:
My grandma used to tape everything too. She had stacks of VHS tapes of Saturday Night's Main Event, the PPVs, Wrestling Superstars, all of 'em. It was insane. We only bought a few VHS PPVs but did tape them all. She even taped each Raw, Smackdown, etc. Like you mentioned I ended up becoming a seller/trader in my teenage years in the late '90s, amassing all sorts of wrestling memorabilia. It's all gone now though except, for some reason, the Coliseum Home Video of SummerSlam '88.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:54 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Out of all the shows, dvds, PPVs, etc.... what are you top 5-10 shows that you put in all the time.

I will be very honest, I watch WM17 over and over and over again. I cannot get enough of that show. I also watch WM 10 a lot but go to the matches I want to see.
Man 17 was so good. I actually went to 10 since it was at MSG, but I was pretty young so I really only remember the ladder match. Watched the whole ppv back a few weeks ago, and Brett/Owen is a classic.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:49 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Watched this the other day, in it's entirety. Halloween Havoc 1998.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
My grandma used to tape everything too.
This reminded me of the time I taped over my sisters' Christening with Raw.

I recently watched the Best of Nitro DVD and I was getting re-caught up in a lot of storylines again only for it to skip ahead a few months and I'm like "FFUUUUUUUUUUU!!!111"

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Watched this the other day, in it's entirety. Halloween Havoc 1998.

Is this the Halloween Havoc with Raven and Jericho for the TV belt and Nash vs Hall?

it was great when justin.tv had people streaming this stuff all the time but all gone now

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:46 AM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have a lot downloaded and on iTunes. Some that I don't have I'll watch online.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

I'm currently watching the Monday Night Wars in it's entirety, I'm at the Royal Rumble 1996

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Shoalzie

I love watching old ECW on YouTube...

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
CaptainCrunch67

The fight network shows a lot of vintage stuff, they've been playing a lot of UWF stuff which is pretty awesome wrestling with a lot of pretty recognizable stars. But Herb Abrahms on color makes it so worth watching.

Plus some of the WWE vintage collection that they've been doing lately around the cruiser weights has been great to watch.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:

That's a really tough one. It would be hard to make an actual list but I've always enjoyed Wrestlemania 6, and Royal Rumble 1990. I used to watch those as a kid as I owned them on VHS. I still have them but I also bought the WM and RR anthology collections when they came out on DVD.

I'm with you on WM17 though. Was one of the best. Recently though, I've been watching a lot of WCW Saturday Night from 1992. Mainly the "King Of Cable" tournament, as well as some old school ECW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
My grandma used to tape everything too. She had stacks of VHS tapes of Saturday Night's Main Event, the PPVs, Wrestling Superstars, all of 'em. It was insane. We only bought a few VHS PPVs but did tape them all. She even taped each Raw, Smackdown, etc. Like you mentioned I ended up becoming a seller/trader in my teenage years in the late '90s, amassing all sorts of wrestling memorabilia. It's all gone now though except, for some reason, the Coliseum Home Video of SummerSlam '88.
It's really neat to go back and watch those, isn't it? It's too bad you don't have them any more. I would recommend starting to collect again but believe me it's a lot of cash and time put into it if you want a large collection. I've spent a lot more money on collections (I collect freaking everything) than I probably should have. Thankfully my wife is understanding.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:12 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I love watching the small territory stuff from the mid 80's. Mid South and Memphis mostly. It's all over You Tube.

I'm hopeful the WWE network shows some of this, and in a way that makes sense.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote