HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price (UPD: McKenzie expects 6-7 years, $6-6.5m per, to be done soon)

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Shadyone33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
no goalie...EVER, should be signed for more than 5 years.

with only 1 starting goalie position available per team, anything longer than 5 years is crazy. you have no idea what situation you will be in 5 years, prospect wise, and such.
Excellent point. I would just angle the contract to give us one more negotiation before he becomes URFA.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:41 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
no goalie...EVER, should be signed for more than 5 years.

with only 1 starting goalie position available per team, anything longer than 5 years is crazy. you have no idea what situation you will be in 5 years, prospect wise, and such.
Desagree.. 5 years is nothing, thats the very less it takes to develop a starter.. Its all about vision and speculation here, to me Price is an exceptional at his position, just like Rinne is, and no matter the position, when you have an exceptional player, you have to make sure to keep him long term.. In 5 years from now, I expect Price's value to be at its peak, I wouldnt be surprised to see him defend team Canada's net next Olympics, I wouldnt be surprised to see him bring this team at the next level, especially with the very promising blueline coming.. You have to factor the Montreal context too, it takes more than a good starter to handle the position here, we all know the goaltending history and how hard the fans can be on them, I know it can be said about any players, any positions, but the goaltending one especially is a very weird one.. Goaltenders are the most easy target when a team is losing, some people dont care how weak the srtucture is in front of them, they will blame the most easy target.. So if Price could survive the previous years with a so flawed line-up, there is no doubt he is strong enough mentally to go through any storms coming.. Price is everything you want from a goaltender, he is big, fast, skilled, very strong technically, very good with the puck around the net and has a very cool attitude (never shows sign of panic).. He is a franchise player just like Crosby is, Malkin is, Shea Weber is.. I say lock him very long term (12 years) at 6 - 6.5 per year, at the end Bergevin will look like a visionary man.

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 06-19-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old
06-19-2012, 10:48 PM
MTL-rules

LMAO, Price will dictate the negociations, we can't lowball him, a lot of posters here will be surprised by the big numbers...

And I'm fine with it, he's our only option, he's our franchise goalie, sign him and move on.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
What has Price done to warrant a 10 year deal? I like the guy, but he hasn't been stellar in the playoffs. He's a solid number 1, but not worth 10 years in the 7m range.
Granted, 10 years is too long, but I thought Price acquitted himself very well against the Bruins last year and came close to besting Thomas, the Conn Smythe winner.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
odishabs

7 years 5.5 mill per

Old
06-19-2012, 11:16 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I had faith in Theodore too...he was king of the town, the next big thing. He was a sure bet and anybody against him knew nothing about hockey.

Here we are again...same story but I guess this time it's going to be different? Atleast Theo had his Hart and Vezina thing going for him.

Price is going on the right tracker but he needs to prove WAY more before he gets his 6m+
But even Theodore didn't show any weaknesses in his development. 2006 took everybody by surprise. People forget two years ago, there was a riot over Halak getting traded. And three years ago, he did the famous Patrick Roy farewell pose. Obviously he has matured a lot but things are bound to get tough on him eventually if his play slips and try moving a goalie with a cap hit of over 6 million with many years left on his contract. It'll make Theo's 5.3 cap hit for three years seem like heaven.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:27 PM
JSBach

Just give him one of these:

Old
06-20-2012, 12:20 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Granted, 10 years is too long, but I thought Price acquitted himself very well against the Bruins last year and came close to besting Thomas, the Conn Smythe winner.
He did statistically speaking.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Galchenyuk94

Anything under 6mil and you guys are dreaming.

I'd go up to 6.5

Old
06-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
You have to think new management has been working on a deal with Carey Price. How much should he make? I hate to be a downer but I Don't think we should sign him for longer than 4 years because the pressure in Montreal is enough to drive the best of goalies out of town. Well, what is the length/salary your comfortable with?
5.75 million 10 years

Old
06-20-2012, 01:16 AM
haburger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
Anything under 6mil and you guys are dreaming.

I'd go up to 6.5
I agree. It ll be in the 6 mil per range.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Passchendaele

Mikhail, the legend, Grabovski has a cap hit of 5.5M

No way Price gets under 6M.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:00 AM
theOutsider

5M$ / 2 years
Bridge contract after forgettable season
Next contract at 26yo (last year as RFA)

Old
06-20-2012, 02:17 AM
nhlfan9191

Is arbitration possible? It would be nice to have another year to evaluate Price before shelling out the big bucks long term.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I had faith in Theodore too...he was king of the town, the next big thing. He was a sure bet and anybody against him knew nothing about hockey.

Here we are again...same story but I guess this time it's going to be different? Atleast Theo had his Hart and Vezina thing going for him.

Price is going on the right tracker but he needs to prove WAY more before he gets his 6m+
Quote:
But even Theodore didn't show any weaknesses in his development. 2006 took everybody by surprise. People forget two years ago, there was a riot over Halak getting traded. And three years ago, he did the famous Patrick Roy farewell pose. Obviously he has matured a lot but things are bound to get tough on him eventually if his play slips and try moving a goalie with a cap hit of over 6 million with many years left on his contract. It'll make Theo's 5.3 cap hit for three years seem like heaven.
This is revisionist history. Theodore didn't have near the pedigree that Price has, and their development curves were drastically different. In fact, Theodore's plunge didn't take everyone by surprise: there were many on this forum who reasonably and logically argued why Theodore's game was fundamentally flawed and that he had played above his head. (Of note, I believed in Theodore's game, regardless of equipment, regardless of changes post-lockout. And, of course, I was wrong)

Price's talent level and abilities are on a different level as compared to Theodore. It's simplistic and faulty logic to compare the two.

I cannot recall a goaltender that has come into the NHL with the same sort of pedigree as Price and failed. Not one.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:59 AM
baldrick

Price will be approaching an elite contract,we've no choice.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:38 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This is revisionist history. Theodore didn't have near the pedigree that Price has, and their development curves were drastically different. In fact, Theodore's plunge didn't take everyone by surprise: there were many on this forum who reasonably and logically argued why Theodore's game was fundamentally flawed and that he had played above his head. (Of note, I believed in Theodore's game, regardless of equipment, regardless of changes post-lockout. And, of course, I was wrong)

Price's talent level and abilities are on a different level as compared to Theodore. It's simplistic and faulty logic to compare the two.

I cannot recall a goaltender that has come into the NHL with the same sort of pedigree as Price and failed. Not one.
You can knock Theodore all you want but remember that series last year against Boston, those are the series that Theodore used to steal for Montreal. I agree Price is no doubt better built for the game. But he's still so unproven. I really want another year before we hand out a lengthy contract. Price put up pretty darn good stats for a last place team. But I thought he looked a little too robotic last season.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:45 AM
MrNasty

A young franchise goaltender is very difficult to find. You sign those guys long term. No way he gets less than 6M.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:12 AM
HabsUK

At the end of the day pay him whatever he likes in order to get him signed up, he will be the cornerstone of our franchise for the future, you don't want to lose him over a couple of million dollars.

Somewhere in the region of 5-6 years for $6 - $6.5 million would be great, anything less money wise is a bonus.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You have to think new management has been working on a deal with Carey Price. How much should he make? I hate to be a downer but I Don't think we should sign him for longer than 4 years because the pressure in Montreal is enough to drive the best of goalies out of town. Well, what is the length/salary your comfortable with?
I think 5 or 6 years is ideal if you go too long it's to risky...see Luongo, Dipietro etc

6 years 37.5 at 6.25 cap hit. You overpay a bit for current production but get a deal if he develops further into a Vezina calibre goalie as they currently make 7 mil/year and in 2-4 years will make 8 mil/year.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:51 AM
HabsSlappy

Year 1: 5.5M
Year 2: 6.5M
Year 3: 7.5M
Year 4: 7.5M
Year 5: 6.0M
Year 6: 5.0M

Cap Hit: 6.33M

Seems about right to me...plus the lower salary in the final two years makes him more tradeable if we want to go down that road.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Somewhere between $6-6.5 million a year for 7 or 8 years would be great.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Halifaxhab*

I'm going to guess at a long term contract 6 to 8 yrs long. Front end loaded to lower the cap hit. He's worth 6m per, but I am hoping we can get it down to a Luongo type cap hit (5.3?)

Old
06-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Mike8

Quote:
You can knock Theodore all you want but remember that series last year against Boston, those are the series that Theodore used to steal for Montreal. I agree Price is no doubt better built for the game. But he's still so unproven. I really want another year before we hand out a lengthy contract. Price put up pretty darn good stats for a last place team. But I thought he looked a little too robotic last season.
You're revising history again: Theodore has only won one series as a Montreal Canadien.

Again, Price and Theodore are not comparable.

As for you wanting to see more: I suppose. But he's been in the NHL for 5 years now. The club ought to have a good idea of where he is, and where he's going.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Kingbobert

Price is the face of this organisation along with PK
Price is OUR franchise player and he will get paid like one.

I dont see anything under 6M at the same time i dont see anything over 6.8M

Closed Thread